• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rachael92

Does anybody know if GWR are standard or enhanced tests? Also would you go straight onto hst if based at Paddington?
Thanks

bionic

Paddington is for the local Thames valley link only. Although it looks like this advert wants Heathrow Express drivers. I believe suburban drivers have to apply to get into the intercity link, and it's obviously far more sought after than the local work so don't know how long you'd have to wait.

Rachael92

Paddington is for the local Thames valley link only. Although it looks like this advert wants Heathrow Express drivers. I believe suburban drivers have to apply to get into the intercity link, and it's obviously far more sought after than the local work so don't know how long you'd have to wait.
Ok ok thank you. You don't happen to know the wages?

KT530

Since Harmonisation was accepted earlier this year, you can no longer transfer to HSS - any new entrants are classed in the new GWR driver grade along with former LTV and West.

New entrants drive all traction, which includes IETs as you progress to the higher links.

Not sure about Inter City work being ‘more sought after’ - many prefer the route variety offered by more regional work - personal preference I guess.

Pay being harmonised to match HSS over next couple of years and new driver depots opening, such as Swindon in the new year, which will be a satellite of Reading.

Great place to work with lots happening over the next 12-18 months.

bionic

Since Harmonisation was accepted earlier this year, you can no longer transfer to HSS - any new entrants are classed in the new GWR driver grade along with former LTV and West.

New entrants drive all traction, which includes IETs as you progress to the higher links.

Not sure about Inter City work being ‘more sought after’ - many prefer the route variety offered by more regional work - personal preference I guess.

Pay being harmonised to match HSS over next couple of years and new driver depots opening, such as Swindon in the new year, which will be a satellite of Reading.

Great place to work with lots happening over the next 12-18 months.

Cheers for that. Didn't realise they'd accepted harmonisation. I looked into maybe going over there a few years back so my info is a few years out of date. Personally speaking, there is no way I'd choose to do suburban work over intercity if I had a choice. Most drivers I know would say the same. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety though.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
First external recruitment driver in the central region for years. It's all been done internally for a while. Its worth noting the way they work will put the highest rated external below the lowest rated internal in the order of preference and nobody will be taken on before the current pool is exhausted.
And AIUI, externals still need to pass a phone interview, internals don't.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for sharing....anybody know if GWR accept assesment passes for 5 years? ;)

I know SWR don’t but they had a different parent company last year and have always been the same.

baz962

Established Member
First external recruitment driver in the central region for years. It's all been done internally for a while. Its worth noting the way they work will put the highest rated external below the lowest rated internal in the order of preference and nobody will be taken on before the current pool is exhausted.
And AIUI, externals still need to pass a phone interview, internals don't.

I had applied for this last October , but since then had started with my current toc as a trainee and am now pqa. I got an e mail in August for a dmi without a telephone interview . Turned down obviously as am now qualified and v happy where I am .

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I had applied for this last October , but since then had started with my current toc as a trainee and am now pqa. I got an e mail in August for a dmi without a telephone interview . Turned down obviously as am now qualified and v happy where I am .
Was that not for LTV region? External recruitment at that end is quite common. This is the first time external for everywhere else in a number of years

Jonnyboy84

Thanks for sharing....anybody know if GWR accept assesment passes for 5 years? ;)

I know SWR don’t but they had a different parent company last year and have always been the same.
GWR accept 5yr test results mate

baz962

Established Member
Was that not for LTV region? External recruitment at that end is quite common. This is the first time external for everywhere else in a number of years

Not too sure , the advert was for Reading , Oxford and Paddington. But my quote wasn't about the area mate , I was alluding to the fact that I wasn't asked for a phone interview.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Not too sure , the advert was for Reading , Oxford and Paddington. But my quote wasn't about the area mate , I was alluding to the fact that I wasn't asked for a phone interview.
Direct to DMI sounds like you'd already passed the psychometrics?

baz962

Established Member
Yes I had , but why would that then circumvent a phone interview , which by the way I had (and failed) with first in 2016. I like face to face interviews , dread phone one's.

Stigy

Established Member
Just been off the phone with recruitment and I’ve managed to dodge the online assessments as I passed these within 6-months with SWR (I say ‘assessments’ I mean ‘assessment’ as I did one straight after completing the forms as I didn’t think about the fact that I’d already done them....hopefully I’ll still pass the SJT I just took!).

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Yes I had , but why would that then circumvent a phone interview , which by the way I had (and failed) with first in 2016. I like face to face interviews , dread phone one's.
Because with passes you get fast tracked to DMI. I assume in 2016 you hadn't passed the psychometrics?

Tony43

looking for some advise took the assesments in Swindon earlier this year unfortunately failed just 1 of them. was told couldn't reapply for six months . the six months is up 4 days after the closing date do you think is would be a no go thanks in advance

Stigy

Established Member
looking for some advise took the assesments in Swindon earlier this year unfortunately failed just 1 of them. was told couldn't reapply for six months . the six months is up 4 days after the closing date do you think is would be a no go thanks in advance
Give them a call, but I’d say that’s fine as you won’t be taking any psychometric assesments for some months yet if you do apply I’d imagine.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You cannot reapply for 6months from the date you failed the process.

N47

Just been off the phone with recruitment and I’ve managed to dodge the online assessments as I passed these within 6-months with SWR (I say ‘assessments’ I mean ‘assessment’ as I did one straight after completing the forms as I didn’t think about the fact that I’d already done them....hopefully I’ll still pass the SJT I just took!).

Hi for the gwr application is there a sjt? Also any questions regarding the company background etc

Thanks

Stigy

Established Member
Hi for the gwr application is there a sjt? Also any questions regarding the company background etc

Thanks
There is a short SJT yes. And another test to follow I believe but not SJT. For that it’s solely to asses what you’d do in certain situations so no knowledge required

N47

There is a short SJT yes. And another test to follow I believe but not SJT. For that it’s solely to asses what you’d do in certain situations so no knowledge required
Thanks mate

Derv Dooville

I’m already in the Talent Pool for Reading since April but they’re advertising again. Would I have to go through a full application process again to be considered for the Heathrow Express, Oxford or Paddington? If I do and am not successful will my current status still stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.