• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I’m already in the Talent Pool for Reading since April but they’re advertising again. Would I have to go through a full application process again to be considered for the Heathrow Express, Oxford or Paddington? If I do and am not successful will my current status still stand?
You can ask to have your depot transferred. They will gladly but you will have to have a new DMI and you lose your place in the Reading pool. If for wherever reason you fail your DMI at Paddington or Oxford you are then out completely

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Derv Dooville

I’m already in the Talent Pool for Reading since April but they’re advertising again. Would I have to go through a full application process again to be considered for the Heathrow Express, Oxford or Paddington? If I do and am not successful will my current status still stand?
What a nightmare! I just want to drive a train and earn a decent living. Don’t want to risk jumping out of fat in to fire though so to speak.

Termy

Good spot! Applying myself now that I am living in London, even though I am quite happy with my new Apprenticeship at TfL...

Fiesta89

Anyone know if someone fails online tests will it count as part of two strikes rule? Then cant apply anywhere in 6 months or if its TOC specific in regards to online tests?

Stigy

Established Member
Anyone know if someone fails online tests will it count as part of two strikes rule? Then cant apply anywhere in 6 months or if its TOC specific in regards to online tests?
Only the Visual Search Exercise (VSE) tests I believe, even then I didn’t think they counted, but the OPC state they do indeed count. The online tests you take immediately after the application process with First Group DO NOT count. I don’t think they use VSE tests?

Fiesta89

Only the Visual Search Exercise (VSE) tests I believe, even then I didn’t think they counted, but the OPC state they do indeed count. The online tests you take immediately after the application process with First Group DO NOT count. I don’t think they use VSE tests?

Cheers Stigy.. its an SJT online then a numerical test online

Eggs&Bacon

Passed all the stage 1 assessments in May this year. Only to be told there wasn’t any predicated jobs a few months later. Would I need to apply again or send a email stating the above.?

Stigy

Established Member
Whats the numerical test like im abit spesh when it comes to maths:'(
If it’s anything like SWR’s, it’s a doddle. I’m terrible at numerical reasoning, but even I found there’s a piece of wee. It was a pleasant surprise because historically they’re a nightmare!

Lmc1976

Whats the numerical test like im abit spesh when it comes to maths:'(

Having done the test this morning, it isn’t a maths test as such but more of an accuracy and speed test involving letters and numbers. No degree in Maths required!

Stigy

Established Member
Having done the test this morning, it isn’t a maths test as such but more of an accuracy and speed test involving letters and numbers. No degree in Maths required!
Is it the one where you match the letters/numbers on the left with those on the right?

That’s what I was referring to. That or the basic arithmetic (literally like 25+32 etc).

Lmc1976

Is it the one where you match the letters/numbers on the left with those on the right?

That’s the one.

Definitely not a SCAAT (which I’ve done before) although could possibly be described as a less difficult version of.

Omar

That’s the one.

Definitely not a SCAAT (which I’ve done before) although could possibly be described as a less difficult version of.

Hello,

How long does the test take? Does it give practice questions before the actual test?

Lmc1976

Hello,

How long does the test take? Does it give practice questions before the actual test?

No practice straight into it.

Regarding time it depends on how fast you are but I would say somewhere around 5 minutes to complete.

Unknockable

I would apply for this but I don’t think I should as my nearest GWT station from where I live is Paddington. It would take me 55 minutes minimum to get to and from there. I think my location would put me at an disadvantage regardless of how well I would do in the application process plus wouldn’t want to apply and be rejected and have to wait 6 months which during that time a more local TOC could be hiring trainees.

Johnson

That’s the one.

Do you have any tips or advice for taking this test?

Cheers

Lmc1976

Cheers

I don’t think I can really, it’s a short test of 40 questions that’s not particularly taxing but is designed to test your speed and accuracy so the only real tip I can give is make sure you answer the questions with that in mind, once you’ve given your answer you can’t go back.

PaulBusDriver

Cheers
I just had my go at it, have to say, considering past online VSE tests experience I wasn't sure how this test would be but found it quite simple. Nothing to worry about.

C.T.P.

Hello,

You have no practice before the test and you get approx 5 minutes to complete, which is more than enough; you are able to do it in half the time, so don't stress too much about it. However, considering that there are more than 400 candidates for 1 train driver position (or so they say)..... no pressure :))

Firestarter

I would apply for this but I don’t think I should as my nearest GWT station from where I live is Paddington. It would take me 55 minutes minimum to get to and from there. I think my location would put me at an disadvantage regardless of how well I would do in the application process plus wouldn’t want to apply and be rejected and have to wait 6 months which during that time a more local TOC could be hiring trainees.

Being rejected wouldn't affect your ability to apply for another TOC

Omar

You have no practice before the test and you get approx 5 minutes to complete, which is more than enough; you are able to do it in half the time, so don't stress too much about it. However, considering that there are more than 400 candidates for 1 train driver position (or so they say)..... no pressure :))

40 questions in 5 minutes? Seems like you’re trying get me worried, from your reply I sense a lot of unnecessary sarcasm.

Ebee

I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow. Will a laptop touch pad be ok or is better to use a mouse? I literally went out and bought one today just incase for this test haha

Stigy

Established Member
40 questions in 5 minutes? Seems like you’re trying get me worried, from your reply I sense a lot of unnecessary sarcasm.
I saw how long they give just before doing this a month or so ago and was worried as it doesn't seem like long.....But trust me, it's that easy :)

Stigy

Established Member
If you're rejected at the application stage it's only that TOC you'd have to wait 6-months to reapply to. You can also have several applications running side by side, however bear in mind that you'll only be able to take Psychometric testing with one at a time.

jad

Hey all!

Was wondering if anyone knows how GWR (or, really, any TOC) determines the 60-minute distance rule. I live part way between two depots (classed as different regions with GWR, sadly) so I applied to the one I prefer most, but it also happens to be the farther one. Google maps puts me at around 50 minutes driving time, but I am not sure what they mean by "typical traffic conditions;" Factor in rush hour and I'm most definitely outside the 60-minute range.

Hoping to not be disqualified on something minor like this; in which case perhaps it might be best to withdraw my application and apply to the closer depot? (unless there is reason to believe it leaves a poor mark if I withdraw an application).

Thanks for any help/advice on this!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Pretty sure they don't take rush hour into account - after all, it's unlikely all that many shifts will be 9-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.