• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Indy3995

Found out yesterday, failed the DMI :( Gutted!
Thought the interview went well so not sure where I underperformed.
Ah man thats pants :frown: sorry buddy.
Once you get feedback though you can chalk it to valued experience and be ready for next time, where you will go straight to DMI, so try take the positives. I know it will be hard right now though but chin up, you will get there! :)

Daydr3am3r

Yeah I have asked for feedback. They said to allow 4-6 weeks to receive your feedback, is that normal?

Are you internal Chuggintons or will you now have to wait for external recruitment again? If you are in a position to do so it may well be worth going for a different role to get your foot in the door for a chance of internal recruitment which I’m sure will happen first.

zoo

Hello everyone

Anyone in the Paddington pool heard anything as yet? :)

Daydr3am3r

Had my DMI at Exeter myself on the 26th and told I would hear results within 48hrs. I also think the bank holiday weekend has meant that the central HR are on a go slow. Its goung to be a very long weekend waiting

How did you get on Mercie?

Daydr3am3r

I failed unfortunatley and recieved generic email. I have requested feedback and will see what I get

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the feedback will be constructive enough to allow you to polish up your next effort.
Were you an external candidate?

Daydr3am3r

The week before mine then. It’s difficult to judge how well interviews have gone, but I’m not sure about you but I was made to feel welcome and relaxed.

It looks like there have been quite a few weeks of interviews at Exeter. I wonder how many interviews have taken place?

Devon156

My interview was the same. I have no idea why I have been unsuccessful i can't think of a question where I didn't give a good answer.

Stigy

Established Member
Sometimes it’s just down to how many quality applicants they get. Your interviews may have been good, and nothing untoward wrong with how you performed at all. It’s just the luck of the draw unfortunately and I’d imagine not all can be placed in the pool if they’re all good candidates?

It’s tough, especially if feedback is non-specific, but certainly don’t let it put you off!

Daydr3am3r

Sometimes it’s just down to how many quality applicants they get. Your interviews may have been good, and nothing untoward wrong with how you performed at all. It’s just the luck of the draw unfortunately and I’d imagine not all can be placed in the pool if they’re all good candidates?

It’s tough, especially if feedback is non-specific, but certainly don’t let it put you off!

So for the DMI do you think that they have an approximate number that they would like and move the pass mark was required? Or set the pass mark she see who gets through?
With people finding out before others it’s pretty difficult to do the former.

FGW_DID

Established Member

So for the DMI do you think that they have an approximate number that they would like and move the pass mark was required? Or set the pass mark she see who gets through?

In my opinion, No, if you make the required grade you will pass the DMI you will make the talent pool, HOWEVER now is time for a cautionary tale! Just because you make it to the talent pool doesn’t guarantee you a position! Not so long ago the entire talent pool (IIRC it was LTV) so Paddington, Reading & Oxford got binned at the 2 yr mark!

Some people hear quickly, some take ages, some don’t hear at all until the bad news. Don’t despair until you get some negative communication!

Devon156

When I had my DMI they said that they just take the top 1% for the talent pool. They did say that the last talent pool at Exeter everyone was offered a job.

Tommy222256

I also think the DMI does get marked Bon whether they like you and if your attitude is right for them. Not for one second saying the people who failed were wrong but I do think they look at this!

Stigy

Established Member
I don’t know for sure, but at SWR, for interviewing in general terms, there’s not a set pass mark, although each interview is scored on its merits. Obviously the recruiting manager may have a benchmark they want to set for scores (so they won’t take a lower score than say 18 out of 26).

My view is that if there’s hundreds, not all would be able to make the pool. However, I don’t have any experience with how GWR operate in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.