• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddiem

Is the X22 the route that is jointly supported by SPT and the councils in Lothian Region, or am I thinking of another bus service?

Also, I did some work to support my studies years ago at Almondvale Stadium on event days (a group of myself and others had a shuttle bus from Glasgow, and I recall exiting the M8 at the junction for St John's Hospital and a couple of the A roads that has a cloverleaf interchange with the road above/below that croses perpendicular to it), and from what I remember, there is a retail park next door that has a Lidl store. Do any normal buses serve the stadium/retail park (or as close as possible)?
I imagine the X22 is supported in some form across all or part of its route as it operate from Shotts right through to Edinburgh.

The Alderstone Road which passes the West side of St Johns, and the Almondvale Stadium/Lidl is served by several routes going to various places throughout the region, it is a spine route that runs North to South through Livingston

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baileygirl

I imagine the X22 is supported in some form across all or part of its route as it operate from Shotts right through to Edinburgh.

The Alderstone Road which passes the West side of St Johns, and the Almondvale Stadium/Lidl is served by several routes going to various places throughout the region, it is a spine route that runs North to South through Livingston
The X22 is completely a commercial service and is not supported by anyone.
X24/X25 - Run X25 every 20/30 mins across whole route (Blackridge - Edinburgh) and divert via Pumpherston to cover X24 links there. WITHDRAW X24
The X24 covers Deans South and Eliburn to the Centre so this part would still need to be covered.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
The Bearsden to Glasgow section probably keeps it more afloat than people think to be honest. I've seen some rather busy journeys on that section which in itself is impressive because there's plenty of buses around even with reduced frequencies on the 60/60A and 61.
I totally agree. The other consideration is that it serves the bus station so people will actually let the 60 /61 pass as the x10 is an easier interchange to other services.

Baileygirl

The Whitburn - Shotts section is supported, it's the former Service 701 which First integrated into the X22 not long after taking it over.
Only Livingston to Shotts service funded by Stathclyde is the 34A which was awarded recently. No mention of the First X22 in their latest awards as shown on the attached file.

Attachments

• ops260419_agenda11.pdf
    187.3 KB · Views: 33

lastbus

The Whitburn - Shotts section is supported, it's the former Service 701 which First integrated into the X22 not long after taking it over.
False. Stuart’s of Carluke run the supported service from shotts to Livingston.

mb88

According to the registration, it is part supported.

• Registration numberPM0000923/333
  • Licence NumberPM0000923
  • Variation number11
  • StatusRegistered
  • Service number.X22
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointShotts, Springhill
  • Finish pointLivingston, the Centre
  • ViaWhitburn, Blackburn, Seafeild, Livingston Village
  • Date received17 Jan 2022
  • Effective date24 Jan 2022
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?In Part
  • Local authorities covered by routeStrathclyde Partnership for Transport
  • West Lothian Council
  • TAOs covered by routeScotland

Jordan Adam

Established Member
False. Stuart’s of Carluke run the supported service from shotts to Livingston.
Only Livingston to Shotts service funded by Stathclyde is the 34A which was awarded recently. No mention of the First X22 in their latest awards as shown on the attached file.
The 34A is a completely different and unrelated service.

I'm talking about the former BlueBus Service 701, First took it over in December 2019 and initially continued to operate it between Whitburn and Shotts hourly as the 701. After around a month in January 2020 the 701 was merged in to the 22 which in turn was extended to Edinburgh creating the X22.

Streetlite 63160 operating the 701:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Lots more cancellations today on FSE twitter feed, how long can this go on for?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
It's been months and months now with no apparent progress, while other operators aren't suffering the same issues.
Are they not?

Xplore Dundee have just reduced to the near-equivalent of a pre-covid Sunday service to combat their driver shortage (in the two weeks prior to the reduction up to 13% of scheduled services, which were already reduced, were being missed), so other operators are suffering the same issues.

Last edited:
Are they not?

Xplore Dundee have just reduced to the near-equivalent of a pre-covid Sunday service to combat their driver shortage (in the two weeks prior to the reduction up to 13% of scheduled services, which were already reduced, were being missed), so other operators are suffering the same issues.
Long hours, relatively low pay given the hours sacrificed in total & generally it can be said a toxic culture at these work places.

It wont change.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Long hours, relatively low pay given the hours sacrificed in total & generally it can be said a toxic culture at these work places.

It wont change.
It's an issue in any public facing role at the minute across quite a few industries. The public are generally unpleasant to deal with and complain about anything without actually thinking about it. Even if I could drive it's certainly not something I'd consider for that reason alone

It's an issue in any public facing role at the minute across quite a few industries. The public are generally unpleasant to deal with and complain about anything without actually thinking about it. Even if I could drive it's certainly not something I'd consider for that reason alone
It still boils my blood when I think of the way many public services are treated poorly today, not just buses, but also the way a few bus passengers can react to something there not happy about and only a few of those unhappy people can create a domino effect on a bus service, more specifically the people driving the buses.

the NHS is something people certainly wouldn’t want to lose but by all means buses are disposable in regards to the way the public have shifted massively regarding public transport in general, not just due to covid.

Low morale in these bus depots is problematically the reason you have had people leave the industry.

I say this, about 1-2 weeks ago I went to an interview with Lothian for joining the “country” drivers, I oddly wasn’t successful, driven buses for years and trucks, 13 years experience driving and I’ve constantly been wondering why I was refused a position, moving on..

It seems that there is a middle ground which many company’s can’t seem to find, one company does not have great standard, for example, First Larburt/bannockburn but then you have Lothian who seemingly need everything to be “almost” perfect.

Lothian have succeeded in limiting the damage in the way it operates and treats its staff, but they also have an ageing group of drivers that will dry up eventually then where does that leave them? Are standard of drivers slipping? Including myself? Or is it simply most firms look to have an element of control that many workers disregard because the worker simply refuses to acknowledge that there doing a bad job on the companies terms?

Drivers should be able to go to work, drive a decently maintained & well equipped vehicle but First, at least in Scotland seem to lack any great imagination, initiative or attention about how there workers themselves envision said company & therefore who is willing to stick around.

If these companies could rearrange the way they operate from the core of the business..that’s the only way it will change for the better..

LiviCrazy

Can anyone tell me why the X22 runs an hour later on a Sunday than the rest of the week? Monday to Saturday the last bus from Edinburgh is around 22:30 but on a Sunday it’s 23:30. Seems a bizarre night to have the late service. I presume it must be something to do with the fact is Livingston to Edinburgh only on a Sunday rather than full route.

It would be useful if they would bring back the 23:30 all week now (reliability issues aside) with more happening in town.

Alex Ezz

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned just wondering if there is a specific reason I’ve not seen any MX06 or WX55 Eclipses in West Lothian Recently? Since the E300 and E400 on loan scene it seems they have just vanished? Last I heard that They are at Livingston depot? Just checking incase I am missing something obvious.

Baileygirl

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned just wondering if there is a specific reason I’ve not seen any MX06 or WX55 Eclipses in West Lothian Recently? Since the E300 and E400 on loan scene it seems they have just vanished? Last I heard that They are at Livingston depot? Just checking incase I am missing something obvious.
It may be that as 20 buses are off the road due to reduced services operated by Livingston that they are SORN

Last edited:
It should be SORN. It's when you take your vehicle off the road and you don't pay road fund
Think it stands for Statutory Off Road Notice, necessary when a vehicle is lying unused for a while. But most people have just said sorn since the scheme started up.

Volvodart

Established Member
The 4 white hired double deckers (35020-3) have gone.

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
I say this, about 1-2 weeks ago I went to an interview with Lothian for joining the “country” drivers, I oddly wasn’t successful, driven buses for years and trucks, 13 years experience driving and I’ve constantly been wondering why I was refused a position, moving on..
You could try politely asking for feedback on your interview, may help you get a position in the future, either with Lothian or somewhere else.

You could try politely asking for feedback on your interview, may help you get a position in the future, either with Lothian or somewhere else.
I wouldn’t waste time doing this, wasn’t a big loss if I’m being honest.

Plenty of HGV work also to go about.

PaulMc7

Established Member
59 cancellations tweeted out already today across the board and that's only the ones the contact centre would have been informed of. No wonder people are going to cars and Lothian where possible

Status
Not open for further replies.