• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baileygirl

X38 is going to end up with I dare say 20 year old stock running up and down on a flagship route? I could deal with that if the FSE interiors were given a bit of TLC, but there in bad shape.
They could put back on the Streetlights which were first bought for the X38 as they have Euro6 engines. Although they were prone to break down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
They could put back on the Streetlights which were first bought for the X38 as they have Euro6 engines. Although they were prone to break down.
Prone to breakdown, nowhere near adequate for a journey of that sort, the list could go on forever…

Jordan Adam

Established Member
First’s Enviro 300s are good buses, on country roads, dual carriageways and motorways they handle them with ease
The gearbox set up on them is superb, they shift through the gears seamlessly, always know which gear to be in and they move at good pace with minimal effort. If there's no plans for new vehicles then to me it would make more sense to give the E300s a full refurb and put them on the X38.

I've never been able to get my head round why First bought so many unsuitable Streetlites for FSE, they're dreadful enough on shorter journeys as it is!

overthewater

Established Member
That is simple, they were cheap. Plus it was claimed from the horse's mouth they managed to get excellent fuel consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Not sure if this has been covered in another thread as I don't keep up with all of them, but is there a reason the First fleet is very Wrightbus-heavy? In a similar way to the Stagecoach fleet being very Alexander- Dennis (/Plaxton) -heavy?
The vast majority of vehicles First operates (in Scotland anyway) seem to be either Wright Gemini's or Wright Streetlites, and Stagecoach operate a mostly ADL E200, E300 and E400 fleet.

I was just thinking about this in relation to the "why did they buy so many unsuitable Streetlites" comment; would First spec E200s or E300s have been any better?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Not sure if this has been covered in another thread as I don't keep up with all of them, but is there a reason the First fleet is very Wrightbus-heavy? In a similar way to the Stagecoach fleet being very Alexander- Dennis (/Plaxton) -heavy?
The vast majority of vehicles First operates (in Scotland anyway) seem to be either Wright Gemini's or Wright Streetlites, and Stagecoach operate a mostly ADL E200, E300 and E400 fleet.

I was just thinking about this in relation to the "why did they buy so many unsuitable Streetlites" comment; would First spec E200s or E300s have been any better?
That was perhaps the case years ago for Glasgow, however in recent years I’d say ADL have taken over. Glasgow predominantly operates E200s/E300s/E400s and at a time E500s. I don’t think any Wright stock was bought for Glasgow since about 2009 then briefly a few Streetlites in 2014 but that wasn’t in big numbers.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
E200s wouldn't have been any better. The E200 and Streetlite are essentially the same bus mechanically.

First did buy a few hundred E300s in 2012/13 however they initially weren't satisfied with them hence the swap to Streetlites in 2014, however in the long run the E300s have proven to be the better vehicles.

Strathclyder

Established Member
That was perhaps the case years ago for Glasgow, however in recent years I’d say ADL have taken over. Glasgow predominantly operates E200s/E300s/E400s and at a time E500s. I don’t think any Wright stock was bought for Glasgow since about 2009 then briefly a few Streetlites in 2014 but that wasn’t in big numbers.
The last Wright products bought new for Glasgow were indeed the Streetlites in 2014 (47618-628 & 63224-240). The only Wright products bought for Glasgow since then (transfers between different First divisions obviously don't count here) were the ex Go-Ahead LJ13-reg Streetlites (47392-399) for use on Clydebank local services. The last deckers were the the SF09-reg B9 Geminis (37736-751). But yeah, ADL has become the supplier of choice for Glasgow since 2009 with the YX09-reg mini E200s for Lanarkshire (44905-920) and ofc the SN09-reg E500s (38201-225).

But we're getting a bit off-topic here, so I'll cap myself there.

cnjb8

Established Member

The big bus companies tend to put in one big order for buses and divide it up between their fleets, so thats one of the reasons why First have so many StreetLites combined with other reasons

Volvodart

Established Member
First were involved in the development of the Streetlite and committed to taking a certain number of them.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Wrightbus had largely fallen out of favour since 2015/6 across First Group, with only First West Yorkshire (and First South Yorkshire with a batch of Streetlites) continuing to receive Wright products.

Surreyman

I think there may have been a token political angle, i.e 'made in Scotland' even if that meant Scarborough and (part) Guildford.
With a dearth of new vehicle orders during the pandemic, I suspect that manufacturers may be desperate to sell anything at reduced prices, which might explain Arriva & First recently taking Streetlites.

Mickcloud9

First West Lothian seem to have acquired some Dumbarton/Blantyre Enviro 300 cast offs, also saw an 02 plate Caetano Bodied Dart. That being said, One of the Enviro 300's has a twisted chassis, and another was sat at Bathgate today broken down. also the X25's appear to be running dupes out of Armadale so they are directly in front and behind the LC 280 when it's leaving Blackridge, they are like Russian dolls all of a sudden... usual First, flooding a route until an operator pulls out then reduces the service and leave folk stranded. Heard someone complaining about having to wait 3 Hours for a bus from Fauldhouse on Monday

mb88

First West Lothian seem to have acquired some Dumbarton/Blantyre Enviro 300 cast offs, also saw an 02 plate Caetano Bodied Dart. That being said, One of the Enviro 300's has a twisted chassis, and another was sat at Bathgate today broken down. also the X25's appear to be running dupes out of Armadale so they are directly in front and behind the LC 280 when it's leaving Blackridge, they are like Russian dolls all of a sudden... usual First, flooding a route until an operator pulls out then reduces the service and leave folk stranded. Heard someone complaining about having to wait 3 Hours for a bus from Fauldhouse on Monday
I saw that 02 plate Dart on an X25 going to Edinburgh yesterday. The Solos are making occasional appearances on the X24 as well. Bizarre allocations. With regards to Fauldhouse, unfortunately the residents there showed where their loyalties lay when Lothian attempted to run the X17 and 281. Many a time when I was doing a 281 folk at the stops would let me go by and get the 26. Don’t think I ever had more than 5 people coming out of Fauldhouse. As the saying goes, use it or lose it.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, let me remind everyone of a couple of points:
  • Please be respectful of others when posting, even if you disagree with their views
  • When posting any claims or information, it should be accurate and backed up by evidence
  • Posts should be readable and understandable, avoiding the use of "text speak" or jargon
Finally, if anyone has any concerns about any post, please alert us by using the report function and we will take whatever action is necessary. Refrain from discussing moderator actions in threads.

Forum rules are here, for your information:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Interesting that West Lothian is getting Enviro300s, If they were given a decent refurb they'd be ideal vehicles for the WL network tbh.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Which Streetlite is it that caught fire on Gorgie Road this afternoon?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
First Enviro400 33906 has also appeared with West Lothian with it being on the X24 today. No idea if it's a temporary loan or a transfer. Image: https://flickr.com/photos/46005056@N02/51942673435/in/feed-45984708-1647449567-1-72157719994487186

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
It's Drivers they need not buses. Has more staff left or is covid just getting worse at certain depots?

overthewater

Established Member
All three main depots are having issues, and Livingston have also had to curtail evening runs, so if the trouble was them being "short of buses" surely you would be able to operate a full evening service since it has got a lower PVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.