• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely the new forthcoming timetables have been removed from the First website.... "Admin Error" strikes again!
Aye thats odd, they've went completely nonexistent.

Also there is now no Forthcoming timetables too.

Maybe they have to rework the network because of the buses serving St John's Hospital causing longer journeys resulting in them needing additional buses to cover the extra journeys.

Also the X24 not serving St Johns could have been a mistake or the X22, X23, X25 and 600 serving St Johns Hospital was a mistake, on the 600 timetable it did not show Howden anywhere so how would it get to it other than of Livingston road then back on again (if you get what I mean).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Maybe they have to rework the network because of the buses serving St John's Hospital causing longer journeys resulting in them needing additional buses to cover the extra journeys.

Also the X24 not serving St Johns could have been a mistake or the X22, X23, X25 and 600 serving St Johns Hospital was a mistake, on the 600 timetable it did not show Howden anywhere so how would it get to it other than of Livingston road then back on again (if you get what I mean).

It's entirely possible that they have further changes planned and they put those timetables live by accident. They don't normally post the new timetables until after the service registration has been approved.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Is the 63 extension (beyond Herriot Watt, to Currie/ Balerno) commercial or part of the City of Edinburgh tender? If the latter then I guess it shouldn't matter too much for First whether anyone is using the new link yet, since their bid will probably have assumed passenger numbers on the new section starting form a fairly low base.

overthewater

Established Member
Is the 63 extension (beyond Herriot Watt, to Currie/ Balerno) commercial or part of the City of Edinburgh tender? If the latter then I guess it shouldn't matter too much for First whether anyone is using the new link yet, since their bid will probably have assumed passenger numbers on the new section starting form a fairly low base.

Is paid for by the Council, it was supposed to have started months ago but was held back to Covid, I doubt the council wanted to push ahead with this knowing the lack luster usage right now.

Baileygirl

I believe the problem may be with St Johns not wanting too many buses going into to it. An extra 20 buses a hour in total over and above the 30 already going in.

It's entirely possible that they have further changes planned and they put those timetables live by accident. They don't normally post the new timetables until after the service registration has been approved.
The updated timetables are on Bustimes.org.

X22
X23
X24
X25

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The updated timetables are on Bustimes.org.

X22
X23
X24
X25

I hadn't noticed the X22 and X23 are being rerouted via Howden. The X22/X23/26/26A are timed provide a 7/8 minute frequency between Livingston and St John's via Howden.

Ye it will come from Dean's then into St John's then back down Alderstone Road past the football stadium then into the Centre (as it does at the moment). Don't know if it will go round Eagle Brae or not.
Thank you, i didn't know how it would get there thanks for clarifying

JurassicMan

Yeah, do you know if the changes are going to happen from monday or not?

They are NOT going ahead at this time due to a concern raised by Hospital regarding amount of Vehicles using the grounds during the present pandemic and access for the increased number of Ambulances currently required.
Expect the changes to happen but wont happen until talks have taken place.

They are NOT going ahead at this time due to a concern raised by Hospital regarding amount of Vehicles using the grounds during the present pandemic and access for the increased number of Ambulances currently required.
Expect the changes to happen but wont happen until talks have taken place.

Im not suprised by this. This useless bus stop at the main entrance featured in an article in buses magazine in the November 2019 issue discussing the bus war.

If you have two buses at the bus stop at the same time and another bus comes in its chaos.

For those who havent been there before, google street view of the bus stop. -

OmniCity999

Established Member
Im not suprised by this. This useless bus stop at the main entrance featured in an article in buses magazine in the November 2019 issue discussing the bus war.

If you have two buses at the bus stop at the same time and another bus comes in its chaos.

For those who havent been there before, google street view of the bus stop. -

if they made that path narrower, they could easily get two stances in there with enough space for at least 4 buses.

You could also get multiple stances before A&E.

if they made that path narrower, they could easily get two stances in there with enough space for at least 4 buses.

You could also get multiple stances before A&E.
This is unrelated to the hospital but Broxburn/Uphall is very similar, their paths are absolutely massive (not all of it but a lot) and the roads are so narrow, i think they could nake the roads a wee bit wider instead of 2 buses struggling to go by each other in east main street Broxburn.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
This is unrelated to the hospital but Broxburn/Uphall is very similar, their paths are absolutely massive (not all of it but a lot) and the roads are so narrow, i think they could nake the roads a wee bit wider instead of 2 buses struggling to go by each other in east main street Broxburn.

It's probably so people visiting the hospital have room to manoeuvre those awful "Portering Chairs" that NHS hospitals use!

That aside i agree with @OmniCity999, they could easily revise the layout to allow more buses in, it's not as if there's a lack of space, it's more just that there's wasted space. But that seems unlikely to happen. The only hospital i can think of where there's a good stance layout is Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, however even then i'm sure it has it's issues.

It's probably so people visiting the hospital have room to manoeuvre those awful "Portering Chairs" that NHS hospitals use!

That aside i agree with @OmniCity999, they could easily revise the layout to allow more buses in, it's not as if there's a lack of space, it's more just that there's wasted space. But that seems unlikely to happen. The only hospital i can think of where there's a good stance layout is Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, however even then i'm sure it has it's issues.
Thats true though the Royal infirmary has a great bus station, was it upgraded at some point, I remember it looking different many years ago.

Side note: I dont think the 600 is going back to the airport, another service change with no return of the 600 to the airport.

I think this covid is long term so we won't see the return of the airport bus until at the very least 2021.

Thats true though the Royal infirmary has a great bus station, was it upgraded at some point, I remember it looking different many years ago.

Side note: I dont think the 600 is going back to the airport, another service change with no return of the 600 to the airport.

I think this covid is long term so we won't see the return of the airport bus until at the very least 2021.

Probably not. If i recall correctly the stance arrival and departure fees for using the Airport were reported to be quite high.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
What first have to pay to serve the airport?

Yup, as do other operators, it's quite a common thing and the single reason why Airport buses are so expensive. It makes sense for First to suspend the 600 from the Airport for the time being, although i'm sure (if it survives...) within a years time it'll be back to the Airport.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

The ERI isn't too bad, when staff are queuing to get into their car park it can be an issue most mornings. They block the roundabout and actively prevent buses from making progress to stake their claim in the queue directly outside the entrance.

Agree with the points about St John's, they could easily make it wider but I'm sure they won't as pedestrian space = good and bus access = bad.

OmniCity999

Established Member
The ERI isn't too bad, when staff are queuing to get into their car park it can be an issue most mornings. They block the roundabout and actively prevent buses from making progress to stake their claim in the queue directly outside the entrance.

Agree with the points about St John's, they could easily make it wider but I'm sure they won't as pedestrian space = good and bus access = bad.
Move the bus stances to before A&E, improve paths et-voila! Everyone is happy - you'd easily get 2 or three in stances before A&E and still have plenty space for Ambulances at all times

JurassicMan

It will return to Airport once the Airport is back up and fully functioning or at least at a level that requires a service.

What first have to pay to serve the airport?

All operators do ,the airport basically auction of the stances they have when the tender expires .

Move the bus stances to before A&E, improve paths et-voila! Everyone is happy - you'd easily get 2 or three in stances before A&E and still have plenty space for Ambulances at all times

Or they could put bus stops on Howden West Road with a new pedestrian crossing for the side with Coop on it and operators could alter if required to use Eagle Brae and Burnbank to allow services to continue in correct direction , there is ample room to facilitate this if as they claim Hospital grounds cant cope with the public transport numbers using it.
What they cannot do is allow 1 or 2 operators carte blanche and exclude who they choose ,surely.

Last edited:

OmniCity999

Established Member
Or they could put bus stops on Howden West Road with a new pedestrian crossing for the side with Coop on it and operators could alter if required to use Eagle Brae and Burnbank to allow services to continue in correct direction , there is ample room to facilitate this if as they claim Hospital grounds cant cope with the public transport numbers using it.
What they cannot do is allow 1 or 2 operators carte blanche and exclude who they choose ,surely.

If thats how the hospital choses to deal with too many vehicles using their land, therfore making it difficult for Ambulances, they can do that.

I dont agree with it, but they can do that.

All they'll see is both operators operating the same/similar services and that people can change elsewhere, so to the hospital - its easy to make space by getting rid of an operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.