• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotrail trainee conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert

Does anyone know where the training takes place with Scotrail? Are the weekly avg. hours 35/ 4 days like most train driving jobs? Would I need to live within a certain radius like Northern Rail?

What is Scotrail like as an employer?

I am sure some readers will know all the answers or even work for First Scotrail, so I look forward to your advice.:roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
Training in the classroom takes place at Atrium court, Scotrail headquarters, a stones throw from Glasgow Central. I know not of any rule of distance from depot either. The hours you state are correct also mate. Terrible mob to work for at thd larger depots, but the smaller rural depots seem to be a little happier.

Albert

Thanks CarterUSM

The job is at one of the more rural locations, and there is no restriction on radius (I live about 35 mile away).

Would it be a 4 day week? Do Scotrail provide accomodation while you train in Glasgow (for 7 weeks I believe)?8-)

CarterUSM

Established Member
Scotrail will put you up in Jury's inn adjacent to Glasgow central for monday to friday whilst classroom training is going on. This part of the training has been reduced from 4 weeks to 2 and a half weeks, for reasons I won't go into here. It is a 4 day week once out on the the job with rest days, one week monday tuesday, then wednesday thursday and then obviously friday saturday giving you a long weekend every third week. Sunday is NOT part of the working week. A 3.7 per cent pay deal has recently been agreed across the board but the conductors one is being withheld by the company due to the current DOO dispute. Please PM me if you have any questions, I think I know what depot you are referring to.

jimrbrobinson

Hi CarterUSM,

I've recently applied for the advertised trainee conductor position at Wick. I'd be grateful for any tips or advice you may be able and willing to offer. It's at the 'awaiting shortlisting' stage at present (closing was 30/05/2010). Anyone else with useful tips also welcomed - I'm an outsider to rail with customer service and emergency service experience looking for a career change and change of scenery! Many thanks in advance for info. All the best to all, Jim.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Hi CarterUSM,

I've recently applied for the advertised trainee conductor position at Wick. I'd be grateful for any tips or advice you may be able and willing to offer. It's at the 'awaiting shortlisting' stage at present (closing was 30/05/2010). Anyone else with useful tips also welcomed - I'm an outsider to rail with customer service and emergency service experience looking for a career change and change of scenery! Many thanks in advance for info. All the best to all, Jim.

Hi jimrbrobinson, best of british with your application, and what a fine depot to work from! Are you local to caithness? Hopefully you will not wait too long for any word. I seen this position advertised internally also, if I remember correctly it was one position only? PM me with regards to any queries you have if you wish of course. To give a quick idea if you are selected for shortlisting, you will be invited for assessment which involves a concentration test, a basic english interpretation, ticket checking and selling test, a p.a test, structured interview and a role play. If successful you will be invited back for an interview and if again successful, a medical, assuming no problems with that a start date for training will be forthcoming. The best tip for the assessments is to read and practice the test materials when you receive them without a doubt, with the concentration test, speed AND accuracy are of premier importance whereas you should really just be accurate with the others. With a little practice you should have little problem i'm sure, it's worth googling the assessment as some have set up small sites with some great info also. As I said pm me if you wish. With regards to your experience, it more than fits the bill for the position and should be an advantage to your application, these all transfer well to the railway in general as well as the post.

jimrbrobinson

Hi CarterUSM. Thanks for that. I'm not local to Caithness at the moment but looking to relocate (from Manchester) if I get anywhere with the application. I've found a few useful websites, which eventually led me to this forum. I may well take you up on your kind PM offer if I get through the 'paper sift'. Cheers. Jim.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Hi CarterUSM. Thanks for that. I'm not local to Caithness at the moment but looking to relocate (from Manchester) if I get anywhere with the application. I've found a few useful websites, which eventually led me to this forum. I may well take you up on your kind PM offer if I get through the 'paper sift'. Cheers. Jim.

No worries jim, let us know how you get on regardless. :)

mumrar

Established Member
Purely in a childish and off-topic response to the thread title : First Scotrail trainee conductor - No you're not, there's been bloody loads of them!

rail-britain

Established Member
Yes, this person is the first trainee conductor
All the others are just kidding on..

No matter what "depot" you work from, once you have been appointed you need to attend the central training course
As mentioned above this is 13 days (10 nights away)
The remaining 8 days are performed "on the job" (previously also in the training course)

You will more than likely be based at the station, rather than the local units
However, at busy times conductors are required between :
Inverness - Alness / Tain
Inverness - Elgin

There are also plans to expand the Edinburgh - Inverness services, so I assume the requirement for conductors between Inverness - Perth will increase

Bellwater

I don't know for sure but i expect the last bit of your post is fantasy as usual.

Inverness short of cover? ok Taxi Wick-Inverness to work 2 Tain/Lairg Shuttles, pass back...

rail-britain

Established Member
Inverness short of cover?
I'm not suggesting they are short of cover
FSR are putting staff in place for a change in revenue protection policy
At present there are not enough staff to cover the revenue streams I have highlighted
Transport Scotland have also raised concerns over whether there will be enough trained staff in place for the new Edinburgh - Inverness services proposed for 2011

Gazscotland

Hi CarterUSM,

Hi Jim
Im in a similiar position as you,im at the awaiting shortlisting stage for Dumfries closing date was 10th May.I Previously applied in December and was told my application had passed the shortlisting but was currently on hold and if the same role became available again i would be contacted then i discovered in May it stated unsussessful shortlisting i emailed the company to find out why this had changed and was told they had re-advertised the jobs as some time had passed and to get new applications but they would welcome my application again which i thought was very strange as only a few months had passed,so i re-applied and 6 weeks later no further forward.If any current conductors read this i would be interested in your views of this situation

CarterUSM

Established Member
Hi Jim
Im in a similiar position as you,im at the awaiting shortlisting stage for Dumfries closing date was 10th May.I Previously applied in December and was told my application had passed the shortlisting but was currently on hold and if the same role became available again i would be contacted then i discovered in May it stated unsussessful shortlisting i emailed the company to find out why this had changed and was told they had re-advertised the jobs as some time had passed and to get new applications but they would welcome my application again which i thought was very strange as only a few months had passed,so i re-applied and 6 weeks later no further forward.If any current conductors read this i would be interested in your views of this situation

Hello Gazscotland, I can tell you that as far as I know there were interviews for the position at Dumfries around a month or so ago, and if i'm not mistaken, the class has already started. I would give hr a ring or e-mail as soon as you can to find out what the script is.

Gazscotland

Hello Gazscotland, I can tell you that as far as I know there were interviews for the position at Dumfries around a month or so ago, and if i'm not mistaken, the class has already started. I would give hr a ring or e-mail as soon as you can to find out what the script is.

Thanks for replying m8
Obviously my application failed the shortlisting this time & they havent informed me,strange considering it did in December and was practically identical.Do you know how many posts were available ? it was four last time & i wont be contacting them as what they tell you and what they do are two totally different things

CarterUSM

Established Member
Thanks for replying m8
Obviously my application failed the shortlisting this time & they havent informed me,strange considering it did in December and was practically identical.Do you know how many posts were available ? it was four last time & i wont be contacting them as what they tell you and what they do are two totally different things

It was only one post this time mate, there seemed to be a bit of a rush with it all also. I understand where you are coming from though, it would leave me with a bad taste in the mouth too.

Gazscotland

It was only one post this time mate, there seemed to be a bit of a rush with it all also. I understand where you are coming from though, it would leave me with a bad taste in the mouth too.

Thanks for the info m8,wonder if their are any other people who have been left in the same situation as myself ? Still find it all really strange they tell you shortlisting normally takes a couple of weeks after the closing date so my application should have went to unsussessful least that way i would have known where i stood,i have to say though any time i emailed them regarding my application i always found them very helpful and on the ball replying,they also state they will always inform you either way obviously not in this case !as you said " leaves a bad taste in the mouth"

jimrbrobinson

Hi Gaz. I've not heard anything yet but the system still shows awaiting shortlisting. I've since also applied for the advertised trainee train driver posts at Inverness and Perth, so will have to wait and see. ;) Best of luck on your applications. I'm determined to work in rail, and have wanted to live and work in Scotland since I was about 10, so I'll just keep trying.

I've applied before for trainee train driver, about three and a half years ago. I got through the shortlisting and telephone interview that time, but then whilst waiting for the assessment and formal interview, got a message saying that the recruiting process was changing and cancelling my application, inviting me to start over and re-apply for new posts. I must admit, that left a bit of a sour taste at the time, and put me off re-applying for a while! :(

Gazscotland

Hi Gaz. I've not heard anything yet but the system still shows awaiting shortlisting. I've since also applied for the advertised trainee train driver posts at Inverness and Perth, so will have to wait and see. ;) Best of luck on your applications. I'm determined to work in rail, and have wanted to live and work in Scotland since I was about 10, so I'll just keep trying.

I've applied before for trainee train driver, about three and a half years ago. I got through the shortlisting and telephone interview that time, but then whilst waiting for the assessment and formal interview, got a message saying that the recruiting process was changing and cancelling my application, inviting me to start over and re-apply for new posts. I must admit, that left a bit of a sour taste at the time, and put me off re-applying for a while! :(

Hi Jim
Thanks for replying,like yourself im determined as well.I dont know what you think but i dont like the way they mess applicants about its so unfair and as far as im led to believe a lot of posts go internally as i suppose happens in most recruitment everywhere.Like yourself i applied 4 years ago and also put me off trying again up until lately.Speaking about my own experience i feel bitter because going by the information i recieved in January i should have been contacted when the latest posts became available,i wish you the best of luck with yours and let me know the outcome,cheers m8
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Jim
Thanks for replying,like yourself im determined as well.I dont know what you think but i dont like the way they mess applicants about its so unfair and as far as im led to believe a lot of posts go internally as i suppose happens in most recruitment everywhere.Like yourself i applied 4 years ago and also put me off trying again up until lately.Speaking about my own experience i feel bitter because going by the information i recieved in January i should have been contacted when the latest posts became available,i wish you the best of luck with yours and let me know the outcome,cheers m8

Decided to email the recruitment office as its now seven weeks since the closing date and i heard interviews took place a few weeks ago,my reply was my application was at the awaiting shortlisting stage and they would be in touch once the shortlisting process started ? The plot deepens !!!!

CarterUSM

Established Member
Hi mate, you've done the right thing, I can understand your bitterness, but I think it could be looked upon favourably that you haven't given up. Best of british with it.

jimrbrobinson

Oh, well. Had two emails this morning which I guess means I am not becoming a trainee driver at Perth or Inverness this time around. (Although Inverness is showing 'Unsuccessful' but Perth still shows 'Awaiting Shortlisting'. The Wick conductor job is still showing 'awaiting shortlisting' and heard nothing yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed still! :)

CarterUSM

Established Member
Oh, well. Had two emails this morning which I guess means I am not becoming a trainee driver at Perth or Inverness this time around. (Although Inverness is showing 'Unsuccessful' but Perth still shows 'Awaiting Shortlisting'. The Wick conductor job is still showing 'awaiting shortlisting' and heard nothing yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed still! :)

Hi jim, there are conductor places up internally for inverness at the moment, it may be worthwhile seeing if they are being advertised externally also, you could give yourself another chance if they are.

jimrbrobinson

Thanks Carter. Maybe I'm a bit obsessive, but I'm checking the HRsmart website almost daily. I've even applied for the First Transpennine Express Trainee Driver vacancy at Manchester, although I'd prefer if possible to get into First Scotrail and combine the new career with moving to somewhere I'd much rather live!!! There's nothing else for conductors on there at the moment. There is an on-train catering team leader position advertised for Inverness, but that's not really my area of expertise looking at the specs. Still keeping my fingers crossed about Wick trainee conductor as well! :)

CarterUSM

Established Member
Thanks Carter. Maybe I'm a bit obsessive, but I'm checking the HRsmart website almost daily. I've even applied for the First Transpennine Express Trainee Driver vacancy at Manchester, although I'd prefer if possible to get into First Scotrail and combine the new career with moving to somewhere I'd much rather live!!! There's nothing else for conductors on there at the moment. There is an on-train catering team leader position advertised for Inverness, but that's not really my area of expertise looking at the specs. Still keeping my fingers crossed about Wick trainee conductor as well! :)

You're certainly doing the right thing, i'd hardly call it obsessive! Even if the manchester position came off, you'd find it easy to transfer to ScotRail as a qualified driver not too long down the line, pardon the pun. :)

chrisdmadd

You're certainly doing the right thing, i'd hardly call it obsessive! Even if the manchester position came off, you'd find it easy to transfer to ScotRail as a qualified driver not too long down the line, pardon the pun. :)

I'm only guessing here also but surely there is going to be a few jobs going at Manchester, the way TPE have advertised 5 depots to me means somethings happening not too far down the line. I'm applying for Newcastle and there's only 9 drivers here apparently, manchesters gotta have so much more than that. Your lucky your in an area where there's a heavier rail network.
I understand that you'd rather live up Scotland but you've probably got more chance getting something in manc then transferring.

I suppose no one knows much coming from the outside so I could be totally wrong!
I might one day have to move nearer Manchester just so I can get a drivers job then transfer back to my hometown!

Good luck in both apps tho!

Gazscotland

Hi m8
Sorry to hear about the Trainee Drivers jobs,you must be disappointed.We seem to be still at the same position regarding the Wick & Dumfries places
like you i almost check the HR website daily, each time on tender hooks but we are still at the awaiting shortlisting stage so still in with a chance,fingers crossed and all that:)

jimrbrobinson

Whooo Hooo! I've got an assessment with First Transpennine Express next Wednesday in Manchester - some progress at last. :D Still heard nothing further on the Scotrail jobs though :( Fingers still crossed, which does make typing awkward!

CarterUSM

Established Member
Whooo Hooo! I've got an assessment with First Transpennine Express next Wednesday in Manchester - some progress at last. :D Still heard nothing further on the Scotrail jobs though :( Fingers still crossed, which does make typing awkward!

Great news mate! Best of British with it!:)

chrisdmadd

Ill see you there mate!

10:30 :)

jimrbrobinson

You're in the morning Chris? I'll possibly see you there then. I'm there at 13:30. Palace Hotel in Manchester on Wednesday. Looking forward to it. Looks very similar in content to the RAF assessments I did about 10 years ago. I passed them, but ended up not taking my place up - often wish I had but circumstamces changed at the time. Hey-ho, such is life! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.