• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
The website is still saying " Only travel if your journey is necessary ". So hopefully that instruction changes by the time the open toppers start operating.
Unfortunately I don't see that message changing any time soon. Despite widespread evidence that public transport is not a significant spreader of the virus and other countries such as Spain, France, Belgium and Austria scrapping social distancing on public transport (and positively encouraging its use) it seems our government wants to do the complete opposite.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MB162435

Established Member
Marc was asked on Twitter how FK could square operating open-top services with the government's guidance/instruction to avoid using public transport where possible and to only travel if necessary. The official position according to Marc is that "The open top routes are routes not covered by other service where there is a clear need for provision of service. These are the vehicles that are allocated to the routes and have a good capacity to allow social distancing"
The use of leaflets instead of the usual book is to allow the timetable to be tweaked in the future as and when needed Marc also said, based on how successful the open top routes are I would say

MB162435

Established Member
And small Dart 42560 on the A17, which seems an odd choice.
First return to public service for the Darts or have they been working for a bit now?

Would be a wise choice for the late night A17 service, not so much for day unless today is quiet

83G/84D

Established Member
Been working for a while, seen several around Camborne although mainly on school runs to and from Helston along with the older Solos.

MrKnow

First return to public service for the Darts or have they been working for a bit now?

Would be a wise choice for the late night A17 service, not so much for day unless today is quiet

they were mothballed at Falmouth for a while before the schools reopened partially and have been helping out there since. With no short 35’s running as originally planned there isn’t really anywhere they fit in on the regular service fleet especially now with all the Gemini’s here alongside the new fleet.

Goldfish62

Established Member
they were mothballed at Falmouth for a while before the schools reopened partially and have been helping out there since. With no short 35’s running as originally planned there isn’t really anywhere they fit in on the regular service fleet especially now with all the Gemini’s here alongside the new fleet.
I did wonder what they and most of the the small Solos were going to be planned to be used on.

I dare say their future may be in some doubt now.

MB162435

Established Member
Been working for a while, seen several around Camborne although mainly on school runs to and from Helston along with the older Solos.
Ah right thanks for the info guys, had seen pics and reports of all the other fleets being out in service now but nothing about the Darts, so did wonder if they were still mothballed until further service uplifts

83G/84D

Established Member

Any idea what the schools contract is down at Helston / Lizard? Seems to be a new working involving Dart's / Solo's running to and from Camborne.

MrKnow

Any idea what the schools contract is down at Helston / Lizard? Seems to be a new working involving Dart's / Solo's running to and from Camborne.

12 school contracts in total - 6 from Mullion, 6 from Helston

matt_splat

Do we know how many school contracts in total first ran and where they are being ran from, are padstow and bodmin still outstations?

MrKnow

Do we know how many school contracts in total first ran and where they are being ran from, are padstow and bodmin still outstations?
Bodmin used to run 3 school contracts and still does as far as I know? Padstow was only used as an outstation for the A5 & 212/219 Truro college services and the seasonal P&R.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I think the Padstow outstation has one of the most novel names for a bus base in the UK. Field next to Tesco, Trevethan Farm, Sarah’s Lane, Padstow.

Lizard1324

12 school contracts in total - 6 from Mullion, 6 from Helston
Plus 4 for college buses
230 - lizard - truro college
234: porthleven - truro college
235: Coverack/St Keverne- truro college
251: lizard - Penwith college.
That's makes 16 contracts from the helston depot which will be busy holding 16 buses and more is the l1 starts and early morning u4, also a lot of TfC buses.
Also there were 2-3 darts parked in helston today

richw

Veteran Member
Think I was told 33 school contracts and 17 or 18 cornwall college routes in total.

Zoar have a single minibus service. Rosevidney and hayle appear to have nothing.
Wheal Briton appear to have nothing, and Williams nothing neither

MB162435

Established Member
Think I was told 33 school contracts and 17 or 18 cornwall college routes in total.

Zoar have a single minibus service. Rosevidney and hayle appear to have nothing.
Wheal Briton appear to have nothing, and Williams nothing neither
The timing couldn't of been worse for the coach operators

henairs

Unfortunately I don't see that message changing any time soon. Despite widespread evidence that public transport is not a significant spreader of the virus and other countries such as Spain, France, Belgium and Austria scrapping social distancing on public transport (and positively encouraging its use) it seems our government wants to do the complete opposite.
Moral of the story, Never trust a politician as Boris has been known to admit he likes buses! Um.
Mike R

Busaholic

Veteran Member
At 13.30ish today a s/d Atlantic Coaster was driving along Chyandour Cliff towards Pz bearing the following blind information: SCHOOL CONTRACT HEL OO4 (or could have been 0004).

MB162435

Established Member
At 13.30ish today a s/d Atlantic Coaster was driving along Chyandour Cliff towards Pz bearing the following blind information: SCHOOL CONTRACT HEL OO4 (or could have been 0004).
53258 had 'PNY005' on it's destination screen at Falmouth Moor the other day, presume the 69B Penryn College- Stithians service

Certainly both should go on the unusual destination thread

richw

Veteran Member
Both are Cornwall council school route numbers.
33176 is a regular on TH051 (Newquay Tretherras I believe)

Pretty sure I was told we have 33 school routes (or somewhere around that figure)

richw

Veteran Member
Here’s its back end

Attachments

• 33AF5150-D9E1-4A38-8C6C-2850EC9C8671.jpeg
    33AF5150-D9E1-4A38-8C6C-2850EC9C8671.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 57