• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

fgwrich

Established Member
It was the spare bus for the Portsmouth P&R that is usually worked by 3 14 plate e400s.

37161's had a bit of an unfortunate history in that livery. Before it became the spare P&R vehicle, It was originally branded up for the Southsea Park and Ride service - which it still carries the branding for. Unfortunately, this service wasn't as successful as the main Portsmouth Park and Ride service - which heads to The Hard / Gunwharf, and it was ultimately removed from the map. After that it became the spare bus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
First return to public service for the Darts or have they been working for a bit now?

Would be a wise choice for the late night A17 service, not so much for day unless today is quiet
It's on the A17 again today. Currently approaching Longrock towards Madron and showing as 3 seats free, which illustrates the potential problem of using small buses on this route currently.

Looking at the First app I'd say there are definitely more people travelling than up to a couple of weeks ago.

83G/84D

Established Member
It's on the A17 again today. Currently approaching Longrock towards Madron and showing as 3 seats free, which illustrates the potential problem of using small buses on this route currently.

Looking at the First app I'd say there are definitely more people travelling than up to a couple of weeks ago.

Agree, strange as a two or three weeks ago the A17 had 3 Gemini's on it whereas this week there were three Solo's on it! Solo's would be better off on a quieter route like the U4. Again yesterday there was a Solo on the U1/U2. Looking in from outside sometimes the allocations of vehicles to routes does raise eyebrows, must be some logic or reasoning to it.

MB162435

Established Member

Funnily enough was down Penzance earlier on although 42560 didn't look too busy at the time but it was 5 past 2 so not a busy time anyway

Definitely agree with the risk of singles on the major routes currently, 53253 and 53258 are on U1 and a U2s and are close to full, although when tourist season kicks off it might become impossible to maintain distancing on them

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_140447.jpg
    IMG_20200702_140447.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42

Busaholic

Veteran Member

The M6 that left Greenmarket for Mousehole at 15.35 had ten passengers, one of whom was standing, including three who boarded the bus at that stop, one (apparently) from school judging by the uniform. A larger s/d on the A17 around the same time was carrying one.

Another bus seen in Pz showing 'school contract HEL contract 004' (so confirming the exact wording) at around the same time as yesterday, so I'm assuming this move is part of that contract.

83G/84D

Established Member
Volvo B7TL/Gemini 37161 was in Truro this morning and has had most of the Portsmouth park & ride branding taken off.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Has 37165 reached Kernow from FHD yet? Also is 37153 there from South Yorkshire? Thanks.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We've had a bit of a re-structure of the First West/Wales threads. The following new threads have been created:

For discussion of Wessex operations:

For discussion of Welsh operations:

This thread has been renamed as First South West (Kernow and Buses of Somerset).

Discussion of First West of England will continue in the original thread which has now been re-named.

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
According to Traveline the A3 starts tomorrow, but nothing on the FK website yet.
Thought the Open Tops were starting on the 12th July, unless they are using closed tops or starting earlier?

Or I've just made that date up!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Thought the Open Tops were starting on the 12th July, unless they are using closed tops or starting earlier?

Or I've just made that date up!
The A2 is dated 12 June, but the A3 is dated 5 June, as is TfC route 7!

MB162435

Established Member
View attachment 80377could be a long wait for anyone using Traveline journey planner on Monday!
Certainly would be, wouldn't be a great start to your holiday if you're standing at a bus stop for hours!

I always try to check times through the operators app/website or bustimes, but even bustimes isn't always up to date and can be incorrect for a good while before it's updated

83G/84D

Established Member
I can't recall who was asking some time ago but Enviro 400 33421 has been sighted again. After a long period apparently off the road it was in Camborne yesterday.

IMG_0300.JPG

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Two of the A4s go to and from Camborne Bus Station this time

Just for the driver changeovers.

Wonder if this will be home for one of the older open toppers rather than perhaps the more demanding A1-A3? Shame it's unlikely that I'll visit this year, as the A4 through Gwithian is lovely. I last did it on a Solar though, catching it from Portreath - beautiful scenery!

Goldfish62

Established Member

Wonder if this will be home for one of the older open toppers rather than perhaps the more demanding A1-A3? Shame it's unlikely that I'll visit this year, as the A4 through Gwithian is lovely. I last did it on a Solar though, catching it from Portreath - beautiful scenery!
With the reduced PVR on the A1/2/3 and the two additional buses compared with last year hopefully the A4 will be open top as standard.

MB162435

Established Member

Certainly a possibility, especially with the stroppy 32027 although that didn't seem to be so bad last year

Going to and from Camborne will certainly provide a more scenic equivalent to the T2, hopefully we will have a longer open top season in 2021, plus all the E400s should be here properly by then

MB162435

Established Member
First ever open top service (of sorts) to and from Camborne if indeed the services are open top.
Definitely, never thought I would see open top buses serving scenic Camborne, they will be spoilt if the weather is kind!

If I ever catch the T2 to St Ives I will probably catch the A4 to St Ives from Camborne instead, weather permitting of course

83G/84D

Established Member
Certainly a possibility, especially with the stroppy 32027 although that didn't seem to be so bad last year

Going to and from Camborne will certainly provide a more scenic equivalent to the T2, hopefully we will have a longer open top season in 2021, plus all the E400s should be here properly by then

32027 was in Camborne earlier today with a notable lean to the left!