• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Thanks for the link.

Interesting that just on a cursory glance at services I use there are a number of changes that don't appear to have been advertised in the pre-change publicity.

A major recast of 315 Hopley's Redruth to St Agnes timetable and the withdrawal of 75 link to Liskeard Station are just two I've picked up.

The timetables for Tin Coaster seems to be missing from the book entirely!
Also, small detail, but the map omits the routeing of the 5A.

But we're getting off-topic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E-Rail

The Lands End Coaster timetable from next week as posted on First Kernow's own website is utterly incomprehensible. There appear to be three variations of the timetable but something is wrong with the notes.

Clockwise, for example the 10.30 from Penzance to Lands End, St Ives, Penzance.
Note 1 - all the way round via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as from 1 November
Note 2 - all the way round not via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as until 31 October
Note 3 - only as far as Sennen Cove - shown as from 1 November

Anti-clockwise, eg 09.30 from Penzance via St Ives, Sennen (11.55), Lands End to Penzance
Note 1 - all the way round via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as from 1 November
Note 2 - all the way round not via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as 28-December only
Note 3 - starting at Sennen Cove at 11.55 - shown as until 31 October

So the two directions are different, in both cases it only goes via St Ives Holiday Village when it is closed, and at some point it only goes to Sennen Cove.
It is just 28-31 December when it only goes to Sennen Cove? Or throughout from 1 November? Good if it runs round all winter.
And assuming it runs via St Ives Holiday Village only when it is open then we should have:
Note 1 - until 31 October
Note 2 - from 1 November but not 28-31 December (assuming these are not duplicates!)
Note 3 - 28-31 December only

There are also notes 0 and 4 up to 9 repeating the various options but no journeys are actually headed with any of these notes.

The L5, meanwhile, has two journeys at all times, one via St Ives Holiday Village and one not. Guessing some notes are required here.

The 17 has notes 1 and 2 for journeys which sometimes run via St Ives Holiday Village and these appear correct, although they also have notes 0 and 3 up to 9 (Sundays) which are not used!

Confusing! Please - someone with influence - get this put right.

More ridiculous is the fact the 0900 clockwise dep on Lands End Coaster doesn't serve Lands End. Prime example of why it should have been left branded as Atlantic Coasters. Just imagine, if on the Isle of Wight, The Needles Breezer (first one of the day at that) missed out The Needles.....

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
More ridiculous is the fact the 0900 clockwise dep on Lands End Coaster doesn't serve Lands End. Prime example of why it should have been left branded as Atlantic Coasters. Just imagine, if on the Isle of Wight, The Needles Breezer (first one of the day at that) missed out The Needles.....
That's being rather literal for on one journey. After all, the Atlantic Coaster does leave the coast to head to Tregurrian!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Any idea if it's available in book form yet? My friend no longer works in the Pz Visitor Centre, and I don't want to go prematurely.
On Facebook a photo of printed books was shown. The problem is that the PZ visitor centre only keeps FSW timetables.

richw

Veteran Member
Roger French was here and wrote a blog last week on his visit, he posted a photo of the full set at St Austell (of the version that expires on Saturday)

Andyh82

Established Member
Now it’s a single volume it looks like it’s going to be A5 size. Looks like a good quality publication

All that would be nice now would be proper town maps like the old Cornwall guide used to have

Goldfish62

Established Member
Now it’s a single volume it looks like it’s going to be A5 size. Looks like a good quality publication

All that would be nice now would be proper town maps like the old Cornwall guide used to have
It's actually A4 size.

Agree about town maps. They're essential and I'm surprised they're still omitted.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Very odd indeed!

Penzance really does need a reliable source of TfC timetable books. The council offices would be an obvious location, but nope!
I've been told that the councillor who represents Penzance Promenade, who is my local councillor and was Chief Executive of Penwith District Council, is now a volunteer at the West Cornwall Visitor Centre. I shall call in there this afternoon, and if he's not there will email him later.

northernbelle

I've been told that the councillor who represents Penzance Promenade, who is my local councillor and was Chief Executive of Penwith District Council, is now a volunteer at the West Cornwall Visitor Centre. I shall call in there this afternoon, and if he's not there will email him later.
Every time I've been in there they've only offered the First Kernow guide even though the TfC guides have been in stock below the counter.

Really not the best thing for unwitting bus passengers - the TfC guide should be prioritised especially now it's a single volume.

Andyh82

Established Member
Best in my experience was Newquay and Truro bus stations, they had all 3 in stock in the summer

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Every time I've been in there they've only offered the First Kernow guide even though the TfC guides have been in stock below the counter.

Really not the best thing for unwitting bus passengers - the TfC guide should be prioritised especially now it's a single volume.
I obtained one this afternoon, through the kindness of a stranger. I parked at the side of the bus station and walked inside, could see no evidence of bus timetables other than FK ones being consulted. One of these people, an old chap sitting on a bench with his wife, saw me scouring and asked if he could help. I said I was looking for a new bus timetable, he immediately opened his bag and produced the TfL one saying ''this covers all the buses'' and handed it to me! He didn't appear to have a second one, so I thanked him profusely and left. Most people are absolutely fine and kind imo, especially if approached in the right way. If he happens to be a member here, thank you, sir.

SimH

I obtained one this afternoon, through the kindness of a stranger. I parked at the side of the bus station and walked inside, could see no evidence of bus timetables other than FK ones being consulted. One of these people, an old chap sitting on a bench with his wife, saw me scouring and asked if he could help. I said I was looking for a new bus timetable, he immediately opened his bag and produced the TfL one saying ''this covers all the buses'' and handed it to me! He didn't appear to have a second one, so I thanked him profusely and left. Most people are absolutely fine and kind imo, especially if approached in the right way. If he happens to be a member here, thank you, sir.
TfL ?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sorry. I am being mischievous about a typo. More to the point, a single timetable book for TfC is an excellent idea, along with the £5 'go anywhere' ticket.
You were right to call it out. I've done it before, but realised before posting. It is an excellent idea, and the £5 ticket is well advertised on the 'red' buses at least.

On another matter, has the Tin Coaster stopped serving Alexandra Road and the Jubilee Pool already, or was it a unilateral decision by a driver this afternoon to use Market Jew Street instead?

S.Jacket

It's actually A4 size.

Agree about town maps. They're essential and I'm surprised they're still omitted.
Indeed it is A4, whilst it's been tweeted by Go Cornwall as reducing waste I can't help but think it's only beneficial to the like of bus enthusiasts as many bus users wouldn't dream of going from South East Cornwall to Penzance by bus as an example. Looking at the PDF version on Go Cornwall's website I've noted a lot of wasted blank space below timetables, no captions to the full page photos and what bus serves there, a must for visitors unfamiliar with the area and I've already noted a few printing errors and timetables missing. An A5 size would have been preferable as would have fitted in peoples bags easier, ladies handbags especially! I can see most people disguarding the book once they've torn out their relevant timetables to them.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Indeed it is A4, whilst it's been tweeted by Go Cornwall as reducing waste I can't help but think it's only beneficial to the like of bus enthusiasts as many bus users wouldn't dream of going from South East Cornwall to Penzance by bus as an example. Looking at the PDF version on Go Cornwall's website I've noted a lot of wasted blank space below timetables, no captions to the full page photos and what bus serves there, a must for visitors unfamiliar with the area and I've already noted a few printing errors and timetables missing. An A5 size would have been preferable as would have fitted in peoples bags easier, ladies handbags especially! I can see most people disguarding the book once they've torn out their relevant timetables to them.
I think doing it as one book is perfectly sensible, but A4 seems over the top and of not much use for carrying around. A bit of a contrast from the bus stop timetables which have far too small print, among their other faults.

I predict that next time it will be A5!

Andyh82

Established Member
Cornwall has a long history of changing its timetable format, they’ve gone from split books to one book to split books a few times before in the last 20 years, and I believe they went through a phase of them being A4 before as well.

I’d have to see an A4 one in person, which might never happen if next summer they change it again, to see if shrinking it to A5 would be too small

It’d be good if they could put back in the non-TfC services, I.e the St Ives routes. There is also that question about whether the college routes should be included, particularly as they allegedly can be used by non college students, particularly the against flow/daytime trips.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Cornwall has a long history of changing its timetable format, they’ve gone from split books to one book to split books a few times before in the last 20 years, and I believe they went through a phase of them being A4 before as well.

I’d have to see an A4 one in person, which might never happen if next summer they change it again, to see if shrinking it to A5 would be too small

It’d be good if they could put back in the non-TfC services, I.e the St Ives routes. There is also that question about whether the college routes should be included, particularly as they allegedly can be used by non college students, particularly the against flow/daytime trips.
I still have those A4 timetable books, and can even lay my hands on them! I didn't mind them as I've always been a bagman (carrier rather than man bag) but understand I'm probably an oddity in that respect, as in many others.

Not sure whether A5 wouldn't be too small, print has to be of reasonable size for average age of likely users'

What is required imo is a list of all routes at the beginning with correct page numbers for the timetables, along with a list of places served showing the relevant route numbers, as used to be done in this part of the world. Pedantry doesn't need to be on show here e.g. the one journey per day diverted from a normal routeing, nor does every hamlet have to be included, just places with timetable timing points there or nearby. It can be done without being unwieldy.

83G/84D

Established Member
Mousehole Solo 53704 has joined semi-permanent resident 53709 in the naughty corner at Camborne. The latter has been there for several weeks.
32799 went out for a routine changeover on the S2 at Gwithian this afternoon but returned shortly after.
Enviro 33428 which was due to be replaced ran back to Camborne and after a quick driver change ran to St Ives to resume the service.
The E400MMC's damaged by vandals recently are about to or have returned to service.

83G/84D

Established Member
Open top Olympian 34137 noted at Volvo in mid Cornwall this week, hopefully nothing too serious.