• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TPE's Nova brand for their new trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #16 originally in this thread.

A friend of mine sent me this picture the other day - turns out the marketing team have got to the new TPE fleets.
The 802s are due to become "Nova 1s", the 397s "Nova 2s" and the Mk5As "Nova 3s"; maybe this ties in quite nicely with the TPE Star logo and the sci-fi inspired names that the new TPE 68s are due to get...

Attachments

• TPE Novas.jpg
    TPE Novas.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,201
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A friend of mine sent me this picture the other day - turns out the marketing team have got to the new TPE fleets.
The 802s are due to become "Nova 1s", the 397s "Nova 2s" and the Mk5As "Nova 3s"; maybe this ties in quite nicely with the TPE Star logo and the sci-fi inspired names that the new TPE 68s are due to get...

There's something proper grown-up and European about that lineup, isn't there? Particularly the "proper train" (as you could call it) on the left.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I'd totally forgotten about the driving trailers on the TPE MKVs, so that image of one on the left threw me for a second.....

Had top laugh at one of the reasons for the 'Nova' naming, "an explosion of light". Is that a reference to the new LED lights that are becoming standard? I made the mistake recently at staring directly at some on the front of a 185 coming into Leeds, wow they are bright.... :D

Domh245

Established Member
It's a nice touch, and it certainly sounds better than Azuma (by a small amount). I can't help but wonder if the 185s will pick up a Nova name (0 perhaps) or if this is just for the new fleets.

I made the mistake recently at staring directly at some on the front of a 185 coming into Leeds, wow they are bright.... :D

Just wait till you do the same with the latest lamps!

59CosG95

Established Member
Had top laugh at one of the reasons for the 'Nova' naming, "an explosion of light". Is that a reference to the new LED lights that are becoming standard? I made the mistake recently at staring directly at some on the front of a 185 coming into Leeds, wow they are bright.... :D

"No Mother, it's just the Northern Lights". :lol:
(
)

superalbs

Established Member
That's a good set of names, better than the 'IET' that GWR went with, and leaps and bounds ahead of "Azuma".

Nice brand overall, looking real smart.

driver_m

Established Member
I'd totally forgotten about the driving trailers on the TPE MKVs, so that image of one on the left threw me for a second.....

Wait til you see a 68 hauling the same train fairly soon. You'll need a pair of sunglasses! Insanely bright .

Nymanic

The full publication appears to be available online.

Mollman

Established Member
And of course no mention of the 185s in the new naming line up which some of us will be stuck with!

59CosG95

Established Member
SWR and (in particular) GWR passengers might disagree with that statement.
Agree with 43096 on this one. All that's changed since Lockhead's departure is more investment in TPE, which some could attribute to Keolis no longer being involved. One could say that the ruling thing that occurred when Lockhead was in power was the application of FirstGroup logos across every service, and making absolutely everything a mix of either "Barbie" or "Dynamic Lines".
Operationally, the livery of a train (yellow fronts excluded) is neither here nor there.
And not many people like the new TPE colours either...again, personal preference.

It's pure coincidence that First seem to be getting all the luck with GWR and TPE; the GWR fleet needed replacing anyway, and TPE's gone through a tremendous usage boom, such that new orders for stock could dovetail in nicely with Network Rail's infrastructure improvements.

ash39

Established Member
And of course no mention of the 185s in the new naming line up which some of us will be stuck with!

Maybe they'll be the Nova 4(gotten...)

Surprising how similar the 397's and 802's look in TPE livery.

Mikey C

Established Member
My first thought on hearing the name "Nova"...

Vauxhall%20Nova%20(5).jpg

HainultLoop

I have to admit I am not a fan of any TOC giving brand names to their trains. For example, what happens if they lose the franchise next time around? New names? I doubt a new franchise holder will want to keep the names used by a different company going. The trains and the livery look very smart but I wish they hadn't followed Virgin with 'Azuma' into giving brand names.

Although I have to admit some of these names that have stayed in the public consciousness are good, 'Pendolino' and 'Voyager' being good examples. But Nova 1,2,3? I'll just get confused :lol:

Mikey C

Established Member
I have to admit I am not a fan of any TOC giving brand names to their trains. For example, what happens if they lose the franchise next time around? New names? I doubt a new franchise holder will want to keep the names used by a different company going. The trains and the livery look very smart but I wish they hadn't followed Virgin with 'Azuma' into giving brand names.

Although I have to admit some of these names that have stayed in the public consciousness are good, 'Pendolino' and 'Voyager' being good examples. But Nova 1,2,3? I'll just get confused :lol:
Isn't Pendolino a manufacturers name like Electrostar and Desiro etc?

I guess as they were unique to Virgin in the UK, they felt no need to come up with their own name (and Pendolino is a cool name anyway!)

JaJaWa

Established Member
Surely the refurbished 185s should have been Nova 1? Bit weird having 4 train classes with 1 named completely differently.

Think 4 different names (could have all been spaced themed) would have worked better and easier to remember/say than 1, 2 and 3.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Reminds me that it was sold as the Opel Corsa on the continent. In Spanish no va means - "doesn't go"!

Indeed! Sure going to impress any of the 400,000,000 native Spanish speakers who hop on a train after flying into Manchester Airport :D

Like Mikey C, as a child of the eighties I immediately thought of the Vauxhall. I guess anyone born after 1990 won't be so bothered.

pemma

Veteran Member

Note that old TPE referred to them as 'Pennine' trains when they were first introduced but the name didn't stick, enthusiasts and rail workers just called them Desiros, while regular passengers just called them 'too small.'

pemma

Veteran Member
Reminds me that it was sold as the Opel Corsa on the continent. In Spanish no va means - "doesn't go"!

Indeed! Sure going to impress any of the 400,000,000 native Spanish speakers who hop on a train after flying into Manchester Airport :D

Don't forget an Austrian village with practically no places of interest gets loads of American tourists just because it's name is a rude word in the English language. Maybe we'll see a flood of Spanish speaking enthusiastics who want to see the Spanish built train with the funny name.

HainultLoop

Don't forget an Austrian village with practically no places of interest gets loads of American tourists just because it's name is a rude word in the English language. Maybe we'll see a flood of Spanish speaking enthusiastic who want to see the Spanish built train with the funny name.

So that's why they gave it such a ridiculous name - to tap into a new market! Clever TPE :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.