• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TPE's Nova brand for their new trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BMIFlyer

Yes because all the other stations can take 11-car Pendolinos.
It has been mentioned on the 397 thread that the Glasgow services departing Manchester and Liverpool (each 5-car) could join at Preston, and only use 1 path up the WCML.

The 397's will not be running in multiple. The coupler is to be used for rescue only.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
From memory, Manchester retains a similar service to now, and Glasgow gets something like 3/4 trains per day
Thought it was Liverpool that was getting 3/4 trains to Glasgow per day, with Manchester Airport having 1 Scottish tph alternating between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I could well be mistaken though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thought it was Liverpool that was getting 3/4 trains to Glasgow per day, with Manchester Airport having 1 Scottish tph alternating between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I could well be mistaken though.

I thought that is what Domh245 had meant.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Also, I see to recall plans to get the 397s running at up to 115 on the WCML, has anything become of this or is it simply another one of those 'pie in the sky' WCML speed increases?

The Euro-certification process will probably clear the 397s for 190km/h (approx 118mph) in principle, if not 200km/h (124mph).
There was some speculation that NR would interpret the 190km/h as 115mph.
However there's a lot of complexiity in the UK approvals process, and in the WCML permitted speed profile which is currently 110/125 EPS.
The current view will probably be if TPE want to run above 110mph they should buy tilting trains.
BUT there is a big debate starting with HS2 (and the future WCP franchisee) about what speed HS2 stock will be permitted on the classic WCML after HS2 opens.
Anyway, it won't be resolved in the short term.

The 397's will not be running in multiple. The coupler is to be used for rescue only.

But the TPE track access application allows for doubled up working Preston-Glasgow with combined Manchester and Liverpool portions.
So 10-car formations are envisaged north of Preston.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think only platforms 1 and 2 at Glasgow Central could take a 10-car 397. But it should be OK if the Liverpool service couples to the Manchester as the only other trains that length are the Pendolinos and there is only one in the hour when TPE runs to Glasgow. Can't remember if the Voyager via Edinburgh is in the same hour, but if so it might have to go into one of the shorter platforms.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think only platforms 1 and 2 at Glasgow Central could take a 10-car 397. But it should be OK if the Liverpool service couples to the Manchester as the only other trains that length are the Pendolinos and there is only one in the hour when TPE runs to Glasgow. Can't remember if the Voyager via Edinburgh is in the same hour, but if so it might have to go into one of the shorter platforms.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't 9 and 10 longer at Glasgow Central, being used by the Sleeper? So couldn't 9 or 10 be used if there was a Pendolino in the other platforms?

BMIFlyer

But the TPE track access application allows for doubled up working Preston-Glasgow with combined Manchester and Liverpool portions.
So 10-car formations are envisaged north of Preston.

Not happening, that is from the horses mouth (TPE HQ).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't 9 and 10 longer at Glasgow Central, being used by the Sleeper? So couldn't 9 or 10 be used if there was a Pendolino in the other platforms?
Might be a problem crossing all the other tracks to get that far over during the daytime, which is less of an issue at the time the sleeper runs. I've never been on a long-distance train at Central that hasn't used one of the lowest-numbered platforms.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Might be a problem crossing all the other tracks to get that far over during the daytime, which is less of an issue at the time the sleeper runs. I've never been on a long-distance train at Central that hasn't used one of the lowest-numbered platforms.

I've seen Pendolinos use 9 a few times.

AndrewNewens

Apologies if this isn't strictly the right thread. This from the Northern Echo today regarding the build of Hitachi trains for TPE. Much fuss about this having nothing to do with Brexit, but they would say that wouldn't they. The same week that Nissan up the road in Sunderland announce lay-offs of several hundred workers..... how strange.

"TRAIN builder Hitachi has said a decision to move work from its County Durham factory to Italy was because of workloads and has nothing to do with it gearing up for Brexit.

The Japanese firm was due to make a new fleet of intercity trains for Transpennine Express next year at its plant in Newton Aycliffe. However, these trains will now be built at Pistoia, Tuscany as the production line at Aycliffe will be full in 2019, the firm told The Northern Echo, stressing that this decision would not put North-East jobs at risk and has nothing to do with Brexit."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/bu...oduction_from_County_Durham__to_Italy/?ref=eb

Domh245

Established Member
It is entirely correct though. Newton Aycliffe is at max capacity with the IEP order, as well as the 385s (which having been delayed are now clogging up the site, reducing capacity further), so the choice is either to build the trains abroad or delay their introduction. You can't even make their decision to purchase AnsaldoBreda (and thus the factory in Italy) Brexit related as they did that in 2015!

Status
Not open for further replies.