• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TPE's Nova brand for their new trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
Of significant note for the EMUs:

Only for the EMUs though sadly it seems.

I prefer an airline seat when travelling alone. 60% is too high in my opinion.

Of interest from those links to the new fleet information on TPE's own website - 61 more standard class seats in a 5-car Class 802 vs a 5-car mk5 set. I know the vehicles are 26m on the 802, but even allowing for that it's a bigger gap than I'd have expected.

Still much better than what we have now...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of interest from those links to the new fleet information on TPE's own website - 61 more standard class seats in a 5-car Class 802 vs a 5-car mk5 set. I know the vehicles are 26m on the 802, but even allowing for that it's a bigger gap than I'd have expected.

4m extra length (26-22) over 5 coaches is an extra length of 20m on the train as a whole, with none of it going on vestibules, bogs or other space-wasters. That being the case, 61 seems like the seats will be very well spaced indeed - a Mk1 or Mk2 had 64 seats in 20m with some space used on vestibules and bogs.

ash39

Established Member
4m extra length (26-22) over 5 coaches is an extra length of 20m on the train as a whole, with none of it going on vestibules, bogs or other space-wasters. That being the case, 61 seems like the seats will be very well spaced indeed - a Mk1 or Mk2 had 64 seats in 20m with some space used on vestibules and bogs.

They also have an extra toilet on the 802's (5 total vs 4 on the mk5's)

It all sounds and looks great, my only concern is the seating around tables - hoping this is just relevant to the west coast sets.

Personally, having suffered mass overcrowding on the 185’s for way too long, I'd rather have a high density layout of airline seats (and actually get one) as opposed to a nice intercity layout.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They also have an extra toilet on the 802's (5 total vs 4 on the mk5's)

It all sounds and looks great, my only concern is the seating around tables - hoping this is just relevant to the west coast sets.

Personally, having suffered mass overcrowding on the 185’s for way too long, I'd rather have a high density layout of airline seats (and actually get one) as opposed to a nice intercity layout.

I'd rather not have overcrowding AND have an InterCity layout but I appreciate your point. Any seat is better than no seat at all.

ash39

Established Member
Of course yeah, but once you hit the buffer of maximum train length for the platforms along the route, it makes sense to maximise the density of the interior.

_toommm_

Established Member
So, reading the Nova 3 page it seems it will have the traffic light system for the reservation. Let's hope that they have an electronic display besides them telling us where and when the seats will be reserved as a little light doesn't seem all too helpful to be honest.

superalbs

Established Member
So, reading the Nova 3 page it seems it will have the traffic light system for the reservation. Let's hope that they have an electronic display besides them telling us where and when the seats will be reserved as a little light doesn't seem all too helpful to be honest.
On the current trains that are fitted with these (GWR Class 800), that is exactly the case.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I'd imagine they will do.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Of course yeah, but once you hit the buffer of maximum train length for the platforms along the route, it makes sense to maximise the density of the interior.

To an extent, hopefully though it won't go GWR High-density HST style though.

xc170

So what is the direct replacement for the 350s?

The TPE websites for the Novas states the 800's and the CAF EMUs will both do Scotland runs, surly then it would have made sense to just order one large fleet of 800s?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

The TPE websites for the Novas states the 800's and the CAF EMUs will both do Scotland runs, surly then it would have made sense to just order one large fleet of 800s?

I had thought the CAF units were the 350 replacements.

397s (Nova 2 EMUs) will be the direct replacement for the 350s.

802s (Nova 1 bi-modes) will reach Edinburgh eventually via the ECML.

BMIFlyer

Hitachi couldn't supply enough 802's for when TPE needed them, hence the 397 order. The initial idea was that the 802 could do Liverpool-Man-Leeds-Newcastle-EDI and then for example do EDI-Carlisle-Man Air after a turnaround period at EDI.

397s (Nova 2 EMUs) will be the direct replacement for the 350s.

802s (Nova 1 bi-modes) will reach Edinburgh eventually via the ECML.

Over 100 more seats on a 397 than the 350 has and as such hopefully those extra seats and TPE not stopping at Wigan any longer should see full and standing trains go away on the Scotland to Man Airport via WCML route. :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hitachi couldn't supply enough 802's for when TPE needed them, hence the 397 order. The initial idea was that the 802 could do Liverpool-Man-Leeds-Newcastle-EDI and then for example do EDI-Carlisle-Man Air after a turnaround period at EDI.

Over 100 more seats on a 397 than the 350 has and as such hopefully those extra seats and TPE not stopping at Wigan any longer should see full and standing trains go away on the Scotland to Man Airport via WCML route. :D

We can but hope! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.