• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TPE's Nova brand for their new trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
Will First TPE also be acquiring some trains from Vivarail :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Internally there is a lot of disappointment from front line staff about this. A competition was ran internally a year ago looking for ideas for naming the fleet but this seems to have been forgotten about with little to no regard to the entries staff have put in. Combined with the rib taking from the "Boy Racer" image the name generates, the spanish translation and the fact supernovas are gas giants that lose their energy, shrink and become black holes actually perfectly sums up how staff feel.

This may be a marketing gimmick, but from the staff point of view it has been very poorly thought through and very few staff, if any, have anything positive to say about the name.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I heard they're going to pick up some 67s for thunderbird duties.

Given that enthusiasts refer to them as Skips, they're going to go one further and brand them as Ladas.
I don't know why, but that makes me imagine an actual skip with boosters attached, painted silver, red & blue with "Thunderbird 1" scrawled on each side.

cambsy

On Moderation
With all the rubbish car stuff going on, how about Maestro, which could mean the best etc or derogatory after the god awful Rover Maestro, which could be more likely used by enthusiasts, I’m old enough to remember them.

mpthomson

Don't forget an Austrian village with practically no places of interest gets loads of American tourists just because it's name is a rude word in the English language. Maybe we'll see a flood of Spanish speaking enthusiastics who want to see the Spanish built train with the funny name.

And of course, the skiing area and mountain just to the west of Garmisch Partenkirchen, for similar reasons!

ScotTrains

Instead of Nova 1, 2 and 3, they should have gone with Dwarf Nova, Classic Nova and Supernova.
Numbers are just going to get confusing.

On Moderation
Instead of Nova 1, 2 and 3, they should have gone with Dwarf Nova, Classic Nova and Supernova.
Numbers are just going to get confusing.
Nova 1s will be known as either Super Hitachi Intercity Trains or Japanese Not-Wired as far as I'm concerned.

gingertom

Established Member
Surely the refurbished 185s should have been Nova 1? Bit weird having 4 train classes with 1 named completely differently.

Think 4 different names (could have all been spaced themed) would have worked better and easier to remember/say than 1, 2 and 3.

We could expand the theme. Suggestions for Black Hole?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The name Nova goes well with the stylised "star" and radiating bodyside lines in the TPE branding.
It could quite possibly have been part of the original branding package, now a couple of years old, but only just announced as the train brand.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Hope it doesn't go as far as the Nova 5. That crashed and killed everyone on board except a service droid.

Anyone who gets that reference wins a cookie.

Nova 6 is when I'll begin to worry.

My name is Viktor Reznov...

Status
Not open for further replies.