• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
Oh no! I really hope that at least one bendi gets preserved in all this! It would be a real shame if that didn't happen!
I have always enjoyed riding the B7LA / Wright bendies. Would this be all the B7LAs or just the older 'W' reg ones?
Also, come to think of it, why not do one in Badgerline livery? Would look very interesting!.... o_O;)

Dave

Streamr_MXP

32335 was on the 75 today, and was a lovely change for me, having caught it between Cribbs Causeway and The Centre. There was also another ex-London B7TL in Bath today, on the 3, 32338. It's interesting that these are coming out, instead of the 14 reg Enviros, though I presume that since they came from Diamond, they will be in an awful state.

Also some news from Wells, 33836 & 33661 ended up being replaced in depot, and 33659 was having serious power shortage issues, being down to 5mph, 1st gear, crawling up Dunkerton Hill, towards Bath, as well as in Paulton, shuddering to a stop, with the engine dying, but returning to life again after a few seconds.

Another thing is according bustimes, SO15 CUY, 35115 has apparently ended up at Hengrove, though this may be incorrect.

Last edited:

Streamr_MXP

I have always enjoyed riding the B7LA / Wright bendies. Would this be all the B7LAs or just the older 'W' reg ones?
Also, come to think of it, why not do one in Badgerline livery? Would look very interesting!.... o_O;)

Dave
A Badgerline livery certainly would be interesting on one on a B7LA. I suppose it would look very similar to what 66726 used to look like. I'd personally recommend W119 CWR 10036 out of the lot, for anyone looking to possibly preserve one, having driven her a while back, on an airfield, where I was able to get her to speed, she was beastly. WX55 HWE 10179, another one I have been behind the wheel of, was also lovely! Those B7LAs could easily last a few more years in service, though at Weston perhaps?

Tommy Walters

James Freeman is likely to be fairly happy to discuss a sale if you're interested.

Sadly I'm a graduating student. I don't think purchasing a bendybus is feasible at the moment!

32335 was on the 75 today, and was a lovely change for me, having caught it between Cribbs Causeway and The Centre. There was also another ex-London B7TL in Bath today, on the 3, 32338. It's interesting that these are coming out, instead of the 14 reg Enviros, though I presume that since they came from Diamond, they will be in an awful state.

Also some news from Wells, 33836 & 33661 ended up being replaced in depot, and 33659 was having serious power shortage issues, being down to 5mph, 1st gear, crawling up Dunkerton Hill, towards Bath, as well as in Paulton, shuddering to a stop, with the engine dying, but returning to life again after a few seconds.

Another thing is according bustimes, SO15 CUY, 35115 has apparently ended up at Hengrove, though this may be incorrect.

Did you see 32338 in person? I was very surprised to see that appear on the tracker, especially as it was its first day out since the lockdown timetables were introduced back in April. It's a good machine that one, unlike sister 330 which is rather poorly!

Interesting spot on the Streetdeck, and it's especially odd given Bath have lost 35111 long term (anyone know what happened to it, last seen being towed along the M27 near Southampton!?). Dare I say it but could the E400Hs finally be coming back?

A Badgerline livery certainly would be interesting on one on a B7LA. I suppose it would look very similar to what 66726 used to look like. I'd personally recommend W119 CWR 10036 out of the lot, for anyone looking to possibly preserve one, having driven her a while back, on an airfield, where I was able to get her to speed, she was beastly. WX55 HWE 10179, another one I have been behind the wheel of, was also lovely! Those B7LAs could easily last a few more years in service, though at Weston perhaps?

10036 will simply never die. I often timed my runs up to uni on it this year just gone especially for it (as shown in my profile photo!) 10179 was brilliant right up until the start of March, where it became horrendously unreliable. I'd preserve 10036 or 10175 myself, the latter due to its magnificent engine. If it hadn't have conked out, then 10037 would've been my overwhelming choice. That used to get up Bathwick hill with ease!

I agree, certainly the Aberdeen examples and 10177/8 could carry on in service somewhere else. Where could they be used in Weston, the 7 maybe? I think all the Weston drivers who helped out in Bath didn't mind driving them, so you never know!

Strange then that 10180-2 (as were) could outlive their sisters the way it's going. They still ply the Luton Airport Parkway - Luton Airport shuttles for Go-Ahead London, alongside an FTR bendi. They sport a remarkably similar shade of purple to the Bath Unibus livery, which is rather ironic!!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Did you see 32338 in person? I was very surprised to see that appear on the tracker, especially as it was its first day out since the lockdown timetables were introduced back in April. It's a good machine that one, unlike sister 330 which is rather poorly!

I passed it late last night at Bailbrook; it is definitely working

Sadly I'm a graduating student. I don't think purchasing a bendybus is feasible at the moment!
Buying a bus to preserve is the easy bit

I agree, certainly the Aberdeen examples and 10177/8 could carry on in service somewhere else. Where could they be used in Weston, the 7 maybe? I think all the Weston drivers who helped out in Bath didn't mind driving them, so you never know
Sorry but just can’t see the bendis surviving. They cost a fortune to run returning about 3mpg and the maintenance is pricey too

Tommy Walters

Buying a bus to preserve is the easy bit

Sorry but just can’t see the bendis surviving. They cost a fortune to run returning about 3mpg and the maintenance is pricey too

Indeed it is. Finding somewhere to store it is a challenge (especially if you live in suburban London), and then upkeep of what are notoriously thirsty vehicles is a pain. It didn't prevent an old London Mercedes artic from being preserved though, so there is hope!

Despite the running costs inevitably increasing over time, it's amazing how the bendi usage increased during my 4 years at Bath uni. Don't forget that when I started in Sept 2016 only 6 were active to do Uni-City/Abbey peak shorts, which were reduced drastically in the 2nd semester that year. In my second year their use was limited again mainly to peak services thanks to the arrival of the Scanias, but there were more boards out each day. The odd one would also come out on busy evenings to ensure everyone got back to campus after a night out.

The fleet was expanded in 2018 with the 6 from Aberdeen, and their use on all-day U1s became commonplace once again. They also provided the mainstay of the peak U1Xs when they were introduced. Finally the year just gone has arguably been their busiest, with the new U3 requiring a good 6-8 of them being used all day long! In the Autumn, at least 1 would normally be out on the night shifts, meaning some very long hours. There was even one evening where 4 artics were used on all 4 night running boards!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Indeed it is. Finding somewhere to store it is a challenge (especially if you live in suburban London), and then upkeep of what are notoriously thirsty vehicles is a pain. It didn't prevent an old London Mercedes artic from being preserved though, so there is hope!

Despite the running costs inevitably increasing over time, it's amazing how the bendi usage increased during my 4 years at Bath uni. Don't forget that when I started in Sept 2016 only 6 were active to do Uni-City/Abbey peak shorts, which were reduced drastically in the 2nd semester that year. In my second year their use was limited again mainly to peak services thanks to the arrival of the Scanias, but there were more boards out each day. The odd one would also come out on busy evenings to ensure everyone got back to campus after a night out.

The fleet was expanded in 2018 with the 6 from Aberdeen, and their use on all-day U1s became commonplace once again. They also provided the mainstay of the peak U1Xs when they were introduced. Finally the year just gone has arguably been their busiest, with the new U3 requiring a good 6-8 of them being used all day long! In the Autumn, at least 1 would normally be out on the night shifts, meaning some very long hours. There was even one evening where 4 artics were used on all 4 night running boards!

Indeed, and a Manchester Scania Omni bendi has been preserved too.

There are some other factors that you touch upon with the bendis. They were horrifically expensive to operate all day which is why they were moved to peak hour operation only and the new e400mmc (the ADLs 33943-50). That allowed the B7TLs that were the peak hour extras to move to the U2. Of course, it had reached a point where even things meant some were out all day.

I don't know if it's quite described as amazing that the increase of bendis has occurred. We've got to remember three things:
  1. The total number of students at Bath Uni continues to climb massively, from just under 13000 in 2013/4 to about 18500 in 2019/20 so patronage is similarly uplifted
  2. Wessex pulled out of Bath and that also removed a fair chunk of the available capacity
  3. First failed to adequately manage things to reflect those two factors, hence the issues that we know ensued
That there were some spare artics in Aberdeen that probably had a bit of depreciation left on them (and arguably would have been left to rot and run the NBV down) was a bit of a win/win. The likelihood is that they'll go and be replaced by deckers (the ex Diamond e400s???) but how they'll cope with the CAZ and the peaks, lord knows, as it seems that the York bendis will be heading to Aberdeen rather than Bath.

The bendis are great for moving large numbers of people over short distances. With social distancing and the inability to have standees, their USP has now sort of gone.

Tommy Walters

Indeed, and a Manchester Scania Omni bendi has been preserved too.

There are some other factors that you touch upon with the bendis. They were horrifically expensive to operate all day which is why they were moved to peak hour operation only and the new e400mmc (the ADLs 33943-50). That allowed the B7TLs that were the peak hour extras to move to the U2. Of course, it had reached a point where even things meant some were out all day.

I don't know if it's quite described as amazing that the increase of bendis has occurred. We've got to remember three things:
  1. The total number of students at Bath Uni continues to climb massively, from just under 13000 in 2013/4 to about 18500 in 2019/20 so patronage is similarly uplifted
  2. Wessex pulled out of Bath and that also removed a fair chunk of the available capacity
  3. First failed to adequately manage things to reflect those two factors, hence the issues that we know ensued
That there were some spare artics in Aberdeen that probably had a bit of depreciation left on them (and arguably would have been left to rot and run the NBV down) was a bit of a win/win. The likelihood is that they'll go and be replaced by deckers (the ex Diamond e400s???) but how they'll cope with the CAZ and the peaks, lord knows, as it seems that the York bendis will be heading to Aberdeen rather than Bath.

The bendis are great for moving large numbers of people over short distances. With social distancing and the inability to have standees, their USP has now sort of gone.

I only meant amazing in terms of avoiding withdrawal, given many people had tipped that to happen. Yes, it is true that Wessex's exit probably contributed to their increase, and yes the number of students has very much been on the up.

A relevant question: does the U3 route avoid the CAZ? If not, then a small handful of the healthier artics could be retained to operate that, as arguably that's where they are needed the most. Of course, this is all dependent on social distancing restrictions, as, as you say their USP has very much gone otherwise. I reckon you can only get 15-16 on an artic, compared with 20 on a decker at present!

Tommy Walters

Oh, fair enough :D

The CAZ is to cover both the Lower Bristol Road and Rossiter Road and along to the bottom of Bathwick Hill so the U3 is covered.

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up! I assumed it was only the central area, and not along the A36 itself!

I guess that confirms that the U2 is the only route that completely avoids the CAZ altogether, as even the old U6 & 42 run along a small section of the Lower Bristol Road!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Ah right, thanks for clearing that up! I assumed it was only the central area, and not along the A36 itself!

I guess that confirms that the U2 is the only route that completely avoids the CAZ altogether, as even the old U6 & 42 run along a small section of the Lower Bristol Road!

The LBR is only covered up to the Sainsbury's petrol station so the 42 and the U6 are fine.

So they can still run old stuff on the U2 then! Assuming there will still be a U2!

Yeah, should it return (and I think it will), then the U2 isn't covered by the CAZ.

83G/84D

Established Member
Yes I have seen 37011 on T1/T2 recently. Anyone able to list exactly what is ‘on loan’ at SPS at the present time?

Tommy Walters

The LBR is only covered up to the Sainsbury's petrol station so the 42 and the U6 are fine.

Yeah, should it return (and I think it will), then the U2 isn't covered by the CAZ.

Both the U2 & U6 are fine as long as they can sort out where they change drivers, as both are done in the bus station at present (as mentioned previously).

The U6 could use the stop at Twerton Mill, right outside the depot or the stop further down by the retail park.

The U2 potentially could do changeovers at the stop in Twerton High Street, but is this feasible?

Also, does anyone know where the 42 driver changes occur? I assume it's at the stop by the retail Park mentioned above!

Buses in Bath

Both the U2 & U6 are fine as long as they can sort out where they change drivers, as both are done in the bus station at present (as mentioned previously).

The U6 could use the stop at Twerton Mill, right outside the depot or the stop further down by the retail park.

The U2 potentially could do changeovers at the stop in Twerton High Street, but is this feasible?

Also, does anyone know where the 42 driver changes occur? I assume it's at the stop by the retail Park mentioned above!
The U6 is being extended to the bus station though so it would be in the zone. The 42 drivers change at Odd Down P&R I think.

Buses in Bath

Also has anyone heard about one of the Brislington P&R buses in Malmesbury. Someone just told me it went through with a Badgerline sign on the front.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I assume 35131/7 are for Bath. Wasn’t there a theory all the Streetdecks were being concentrated at Hengrove? With these and the ex Diamond/Manchester deckers arriving in Bath I think it must be the end of the 32xxx B7TLs.

Streamr_MXP

66720 tracking on the 126 for the first time in 3 months!
I'ts about time 66720 was given a run. It's been parked up, in the overflow for 3 months. 69458 was out yesterday, for the first time in around 1 month, whilst it seems 69447 is getting a break, and has been parked up in the main depot.

Does anyone know what the fate of 32009 will be? It's been abandoned at the back of Wells' depot, so I presume, it's awaiting the scrapyard, along with the buses at Westbury.

Also some more news from Wells, B9TLs 37605, 37610 & 37771 are all back in service, whilst 37606 & 37772 still remain in the Overflow. 33664 is yet to return from Bath, 33836 is contantly having issues, 33660 seems to be having a lot of issues in regards to entering service, and 33754 is also struggling to stay in service.

Last edited:

freetoview33

Established Member
I assume 35131/7 are for Bath. Wasn’t there a theory all the Streetdecks were being concentrated at Hengrove? With these and the ex Diamond/Manchester deckers arriving in Bath I think it must be the end of the 32xxx B7TLs.
Is this long term or just at the moment to cover more services from the start of July (Like more park & ride services ect)

-Colly405-

I see that they have published more service changes from 5th July.

Generally frequency and/or days of operation improvements to the T1, X1, X2, X6, X9, X39, Y1, Y3, Y4, 5, 178, 376
Also...
18 reinstated weekdays, hourly Kingswood-Bath
X1x reinstated (half-hourly all daytimes)
X3x finally introduced, half-hourly peaks, hourly weekday off peak
Y6 goes back to hourly weekdays, with alternate journeys terminating at Yate
X3a - weekend daytime journeys replaced by hourly journeys on X3 and X4
X3x - finally introduced, half-hourly peaks, hourly weekday off-peak
X4 - gains additional hourly weekday shorts Bristol-Pill
39 - frequency doubled weekends, weekdays reverts to peaks and evenings only

matt_splat

Steel link deckers could be for the 172

From the 5th July bath will be doing 172s while wells focus on 173 and 174 with 174 wells to Shepton becoming every 30 mins.

376 between wells and Bristol also becomes every 15 so bath doing the 172 frees up wells drivers for increases on other routes