• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Streamr_MXP

lots of busses out today doing driving assesments it would seem first used this as a way of route training the 172 as well with many B9s a pink streetlite and at least 2 e400s and a number 5 b7 out i saw 7 busses in peasedown in about 15 minutes earlier today
I wish I had gone out and done some bus spotting now in Paulton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Thanks to Ross at Ensign here are a few relevant snippets from the in & outs through Ensign in June.

VEHICLES IN.
From First Wessex : Scania’s YN04GNV / GNY / GNZ.
From First Essex : Tridents LN51GMO / LN51GNP Scania YS03ZKE Darts WX05UAN / SN05DZX B10BLEs Y939CSF / X685ADK B7RLE WX54XDC
From First West of England : Scania LK55ACJ / Volvo B7Las W122CWR / WX55HVZ.

VEHICLES OUT
Scanias YN04GNV / GNZ : Connexions Buses, Harrogate.
Darts X201WAE / WK52MTV: Squarepeg Buses, Leeds.
Solo WX05RSO : Wealden PSV, Tonbridge, Kent.
Dart WX06OMM : Seaford and District.

The following all to Shelton Motors for scrap :
Scania’s :/ YN04GNY .
Volvo B10BLE’s Y939CSF / X685ADK B7LA’s W122CLR / WK55HVZ

I can pop the whole list up if anyone is interested in all the other comings and goings.

I’ve heard that 4 bendies migt be working the 5 between the bus station and depot from next week in Bath, so a possible reprieve for some of them!
Would you kindly post the whole list please

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We've decided to split off the Welsh discussion into this thread:

The idea is to start a new thread concerning the "South West" bit, but I'd like to ask for some feedback first. Do we want to lump the whole of First's West of England operations into one thread?

D2007wsm

Established Member
That certainly sounds interesting. I suppose that would allow the Ex-Mendip B7RLEs to give a little extra capacity on the 1, and also help out on the D1/2 & 172.
I mean there is always the option of sending a bendy or two on the 172. They are as good at tight manoeuvres as a B7RLE, and yet have extra capacity, and quite some power too. It wouldn't be the first time a bendy makes it way thorough Paulton, as I do remember sighting on on the 178 many years back now. Although this is a very unlikely thing to happen.
They would have to find an alternative stop for the service to stop at in Bath. A bendy would not fit on a bay in the Bus Station and as far as I’m aware they are not even allowed in.

When they are used in Bristol for events such as the Balloon Fiesta etc. whereas deckers maybe parked in the Bus Station these are always returned to the depot or left at Temple Meads.

The idea is to start a new thread concerning the "South West" bit, but I'd like to ask for some feedback first. Do we want to lump the whole of First's West of England operations into one thread?
I think it should be multiple threads as it is separate OpCos and ran independently of each other. One for First West of England e.g. Bath, Bristol, Wells and Weston and another for First Kernow/Buses of Somerset.

it can get confusing at times when there is a discussion about First WoE with a random post about First Kernow or BoS thrown in.

This would allow members who are only interested in one OpCo seeing what they want with out having to look through the posts they are not interested in.

lots of busses out today doing driving assesments it would seem first used this as a way of route training the 172 as well with many B9s a pink streetlite and at least 2 e400s and a number 5 b7 out i saw 7 busses in peasedown in about 15 minutes earlier today
There was driving assessments out today for drivers returning from furlough from several depots. I know there was two being used by Marlborough Street and 1 maybe 2 by Weston.

Marlborough Street were using 2 Citylines 3 & 4 purple B9 (one of which ventured to Nailsea, Clevedon and Weston). I know Weston were using at least 1 of the recently transferred service 2 B9s.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think it should be multiple threads as it is separate OpCos and ran independently of each other. One for First West of England e.g. Bath, Bristol, Wells and Weston and another for First Kernow/Buses of Somerset.

it can get confusing at times when there is a discussion about First WoE with a random post about First Kernow or BoS thrown in.

This would allow members who are only interested in one OpCo seeing what they want with out having to look through the posts they are not interested in.
Okay, thanks for that. Again, this an area outwith my knowledge so I'm grateful for the input. I notice that on their website they have "Wessex, Dorset and South Somerset" and "Bristol, Bath and the West".

D2007wsm

Established Member
In other news Badgerline Dart 42909 is parked in the Croydon Street part of Lawrence Hill as well as an excel Streetlite. Presumably the Streetlite is there for Marlborough Street to us on the X8 from Monday. I don’t know why the Dart is there.

Tommy Walters

I’ve heard that 4 bendies migt be working the 5 between the bus station and depot from next week in Bath, so a possible reprieve for some of them!

Oh my! What a surprise if true! Seems they refuse to die!

I mean there is always the option of sending a bendy or two on the 172. They are as good at tight manoeuvres as a B7RLE, and yet have extra capacity, and quite some power too. It wouldn't be the first time a bendy makes it way thorough Paulton, as I do remember sighting on on the 178 many years back now. Although this is a very unlikely thing to happen.

Didn't Bath Bus Company used to run bendis on the Bath - Norton corridor on route C3? Leyland DAB examples? One of them ended up on the bus race on Top Gear IIRC!

They would have to find an alternative stop for the service to stop at in Bath. A bendy would not fit on a bay in the Bus Station and as far as I’m aware they are not even allowed in.

When they are used in Bristol for events such as the Balloon Fiesta etc. whereas deckers maybe parked in the Bus Station these are always returned to the depot or left at Temple Meads.

I think the stop round at the Ambury would be the most logical. Bendis are definitely NOT allowed in the bus station, and usually used to park at the aforementioned stop while the driver had a relief break. This was certainly the case with the most recent evening U1 timetable, which involved late night bus subs!

swifty

Established Member

Rename this thread as First West of England, do we really need a new one? There’s a thread then for the 3 areas of ‘First South West and Wales’ that this one once covered, the new Wales thread and then rename the First Kernow thread to First South West.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Bristol, Bath and the West is First West of England.

“Wessex, Dorset and South Somerset” would be part of First Hants and Dorset branded as First Wessex. This covers services radiating from Weymouth and the surrounding area.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Shouldn’t First Hampshire & Dorset have their own thread which would include First Wessex (Weymouth area)

jcrwey

Thanks to Ross at Ensign here are a few relevant snippets from the in & outs through Ensign in June.

VEHICLES IN.
From First Wessex : Scania’s YN04GNV / GNY / GNZ.
From First Essex : Tridents LN51GMO / LN51GNP Scania YS03ZKE Darts WX05UAN / SN05DZX B10BLEs Y939CSF / X685ADK B7RLE WX54XDC
From First West of England : Scania LK55ACJ / Volvo B7Las W122CWR / WX55HVZ.

VEHICLES OUT
Scanias YN04GNV / GNZ : Connexions Buses, Harrogate.
Darts X201WAE / WK52MTV: Squarepeg Buses, Leeds.
Solo WX05RSO : Wealden PSV, Tonbridge, Kent.
Dart WX06OMM : Seaford and District.

The following all to Shelton Motors for scrap :
Scania’s :/ YN04GNY .
Volvo B10BLE’s Y939CSF / X685ADK B7LA’s W122CLR / WK55HVZ

I can pop the whole list up if anyone is interested in all the other comings and goings.

Interesting fact but YS03ZKE also served on the X53 Jurassic Coast route for 1 year prior to the Scania Omnidekkas that have passed through Ensign in the same month!

carlberry

Established Member
Didn't Bath Bus Company used to run bendis on the Bath - Norton corridor on route C3? Leyland DAB examples? One of them ended up on the bus race on Top Gear IIRC!
Yes. Somebody managed to get one stuck in Yate once (doing a county council contract) by trying to do a three point turn in it!

CD

Better to have one thread for First West of England, another for First Hampshire and Dorset. Then rename First Kernow to First South West to include Buses of Somerset.
Bristol, Bath and the West is First West of England.

“Wessex, Dorset and South Somerset” would be part of First Hants and Dorset branded as First Wessex. This covers services radiating from Weymouth and the surrounding area.
This name referred to the time Yeovil was part of FHD. But for reasons best known to themselves it has never been renamed to exclude South Somerset.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Better to have one thread for First West of England, another for First Hampshire and Dorset. Then rename First Kernow to First South West to include Buses of Somerset.
Are Buses of Somerset run by the same OpCo that runs Kernow? I'm beginning to regret asking in the first place!!! o_O

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thank you for your input, everyone. This thread will continue to be for the discussion of First West of England, and has been renamed accordingly.

The following new threads have been created:

For discussion of Wessex operations:

For discussion of Welsh operations:

The First Kernow thread has been renamed as First South West (Kernow and Buses of Somerset).

Tommy Walters

Some interesting movements reported by Steve:

32004/8/286/290 from Bath to Weston! Maybe for coaster services?

47554/5/71 from LH to Bath. Presumably for 1s, 5s & 172s!

83G/84D

Established Member
Thank you for your input, everyone. This thread will continue to be for the discussion of First West of England, and has been renamed accordingly.

The following new threads have been created:

For discussion of Wessex operations:

For discussion of Welsh operations:

The First Kernow thread has been renamed as First South West (Kernow and Buses of Somerset).

Mod's can you post this in the first South West thread to explain what you have done and why. If someone is not looking at this thread and only the South West one (like I was earlier) they might wonder what is going on.

Whiteway215

Established Member
D2007wsm, post: 4642253,

I heard Weston will be inheriting around 15 preloved deckers from Lawrence Hill. These will be used to continue a double deck service on the 3, supplement the 7 when it goes to every 10 minutes, cover the boards on the 1 & 20 summer timetable which is not covered by the Coaster fleet and 32222/3 and the X5s.
[/QUOTE]
As Tommy Walters reports Steve White tells us 32004/8 32286/90 reallocated Bath to Weston. Could these be part of what D2007wsm was referring to here? I am very surprised 32004/8 have been reactivated as I thought these were too old for further service and would have been replaced by the ex Manchester / Diamond E400s. 32008 had been stored at Westbury which I thought was the storage area for the scrappers.

Steve also reports badly damaged 66731 has finally been taken away to Ensign. As Ensign almost immediately resold the two bendis 10037/174 for scrap I imagine the same will happen to 66731.

richw

Veteran Member
Do we want to lump the whole of First's West of England operations into one thread?
By opco makes sense.
Can you post the explanation for change into the other groups that have changed too please

Tommy Walters

True, then on the 5 it's a nice 10 second trip into the depot!

They can also turn easily in there of course! And swaps can be made should a defect inevitably occur!
As Tommy Walters reports Steve White tells us 32004/8 32286/90 reallocated Bath to Weston. Could these be part of what D2007wsm was referring to here? I am very surprised 32004/8 have been reactivated as I thought these were too old for further service and would have been replaced by the ex Manchester / Diamond E400s. 32008 had been stored at Westbury which I thought was the storage area for the scrappers.

Steve also reports badly damaged 66731 has finally been taken away to Ensign. As Ensign almost immediately resold the two bendis 10037/174 for scrap I imagine the same will happen to 66731.

I guess 004/8 have the M-ticket livery that's worth promoting. 004 is a heap of trash though, no idea why it's back! Even more strange is the fact that 286/290 are the two still to have flipdot displays! 286 was off the road for 4 months over the winter, so bit of a gamble bringing it back!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I guess 004/8 have the M-ticket livery that's worth promoting. 004 is a heap of trash though, no idea why it's back! Even more strange is the fact that 286/290 are the two still to have flipdot displays! 286 was off the road for 4 months over the winter, so bit of a gamble bringing it back!
It may simply because they're ones with the longest MOT tickets whereas others might be out of MOT or will be soon and require a level of work to get them through that isn't cost effective.

freetoview33

Established Member
They can also turn easily in there of course! And swaps can be made should a defect inevitably occur!

Is it actually confirmed that the depot will be the turn around point?