• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Luk3y

Suprised to see that 35147 has been repainted into mendip explorer livery. Wonder how long that one lasts before it goes pop.....

Andyh82

Established Member
Which depot runs the 22 in Bristol, that looks to be a glorified works service.

Do First West of England run any school services, or just the advertised public services?

Whiteway215

Established Member

Do First West of England run any school services, or just the advertised public services?
First Bath run an R2 service in Bath between Southdown-Twerton-Ralph Allen School. I can't find this service advertised on the FWE website timetables so I'm unsure if this is classed as a public service. However the Ralph Allen School website describes the R2 as 'open to all' and include a timetable.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
First Bath run an R2 service in Bath between Southdown-Twerton-Ralph Allen School. I can't find this service advertised on the FWE website timetables so I'm unsure if this is classed as a public service. However the Ralph Allen School website describes the R2 as 'open to all' and include a timetable.
Times are shown on stops so looks like a public service

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

It is a glorified works service with limited stops but I had a trip on it the other week for novelty value. Think people were slightly bemused when I exited earlier at Parson Street!

Marcus Fryer

Found today that with the latest upgrade to 'Bus Times' you can not only find how late your bus is, but where it is on route and the fleet number (works for both FWE, and for BCT on the m1).

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
It's on Traveline so should be a public service.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Suprised to see that 35147 has been repainted into mendip explorer livery. Wonder how long that one lasts before it goes pop.....
Certainly wasn't expecting that either. I make that ten streetdecks for 376 now, though realistically I expect they'll venture on all routes alongside the B9s. However I was in Wells briefly last week and noted three streetdecks out of service in the depot (mid morning), whilst quite a few B9s were working 376, so who knows what the plan is. Meanwhile, another one down on the 90. Wonder if the remaining fleet will move elsewhere and we see older fleet move on to that route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Certainly wasn't expecting that either. I make that ten streetdecks for 376 now, though realistically I expect they'll venture on all routes alongside the B9s. However I was in Wells briefly last week and noted three streetdecks out of service in the depot (mid morning), whilst quite a few B9s were working 376, so who knows what the plan is. Meanwhile, another one down on the 90. Wonder if the remaining fleet will move elsewhere and we see older fleet move on to that route.

That one heading onto ME was certainly a surprise. In my whisky addled predictions for 2019, I'd suggested that we might see some Streetdecks head away to other OpCos and it was the 90 that was at the front of my mind, possibly replaced with B9TLs displaced from the Church Road routes by new vehicles.

Talking of which, is there any indication of new vehicles for 2019?

carlberry

Established Member

freetoview33

Established Member

freetoview33

Established Member
From South to North.

1) Improving the informal path along the downs (Which started off when they dug it up about 17 years ago, to add a new water main in) I support making improvements to it.

2) Traffic lights at the Falcondale Road/Westbury Road junction. I support as it can be very dangerous crossing/turning here.

3) Stoke Lane blocking up the end of the road in Westbury Village, and banning the right turn from Falcondale Road into Canford Lane (I support one of these changes but not both, as it will severely restrict access to Westbury Village.

4) Bus lanes along Falcondale Road (Support as the 1 currently uses this route) (As carl you got it wrong, the blue section further up Falcondale is on street parking not bus lanes)

5) Ban the right turn from Canford Lane to Falcondale Road (A bit odd as the 1 currently turns right here)

6) Lights on the Canford Road/Canford Lane junction (bit of an odd one, but there does need to be a signalised crossing here to link up the footpaths to the park)

7) Banned left turn from Falcondale Road to Henbury Hill (I strongly oppose this one, as it will force much more traffic along an already overly busy Crow Lane)

8) Blocking off Westbury High Street, to cars. (I understand why but it will be a nightmare and I think local business owners will kick up a big fuss about this one)

9) Lights at the Falcondale Road/Passage Road/Greystoke Avenue junction. (Way overdue, nightmare to cross, people have been knocked down there, I have seen it happen many times, can't happen soon enough)

10) Bus lane on Passage Road between Charlton Road and Greystoke Avenue. (If they can acquire the land from St Monica's then it will be a good thing, although a lot of hedgerow will be lost)

11) Ban turning right from Passage road to Charlton Road except for buses (Currently the 508), (again I think it is an odd one for people trying to reach St Peters Hospice will have to go some very long winded route through Southmead, but all said and done I could live with this change)

12) Bus lanes and new crossing on Passage Road between Crow Lane Junction and Charlton Road, (I agree with this, and the crossing there is long overdue, as not too long ago someone was killed crossing here)

13) Replacement of Crow Lane roundabout with a signal controlled junction and the banning of the right turn between Passage Road and Knole Lane. (Upgraded crossings are a good thing to improve access to the dr's as crossing Knole Lane can be dangerous, but I disagree with the banning of the right turn from passage road into knole lane) as along with all the other changes the only right turn that will be allowed from the Downs to Cribbs Causeway will be Greystoke Avenue! Which is total madness for local people!)

There a few other minor things I also suggested on the online consultation and I will be making them known in person too when there are the ones at Henbury Library.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Some details here:
https://bristol.citizenspace.com/growth-regeneration/a4018-improvements-proposals/
I assume theres some plan to run buses 'fast' avoiding Westbury as, otherwise, the two bus lanes on Falcondale Road are going to be used by one school bus per day!
It should keep the Evening Post's letters page busy for months!

To be honest, this looks rather perverse. You would think that there are some bigger issues to face into such as....removing the on street parking when dropping down to Clifton Down station and having a bus lane there? Removing the on-street parking on the climb up Blackboy Hill? These would help not just the 1, but many more services stuck on Whiteladies Road.

DaveHarries

Established Member
My thoughts as someone who lives in the Westbury-on-Trym area:
2) Traffic lights at the Falcondale Road/Westbury Road junction. I support as it can be very dangerous crossing/turning here.
I agree with this one also. If you are making the turning onto Westbury Road you can't see what is coming up the hill. Likewise if you are coming up the hill from Stoke Lane who can't see if someone is turning across your path until you get there.

3) Stoke Lane blocking up the end of the road in Westbury Village, and banning the right turn from Falcondale Road into Canford Lane (I support one of these changes but not both, as it will severely restrict access to Westbury Village.
Quite. I think that the Stoke Lane block would be the better option.

4) Bus lanes along Falcondale Road
Can get congested along there and that probably delays the 1, especially around Christmas.

5) Ban the right turn from Canford Lane to Falcondale Road (A bit odd as the 1 currently turns right here)

6) Lights on the Canford Road/Canford Lane junction (bit of an odd one, but there does need to be a signalised crossing here to link up the footpaths to the park)
I wonder if these two might be connected. Perhaps the plan might be for journeys on Service 1 to turn right at Canford Park although to achieve that you would need a stop on Canford Road before the turning into Canford Lane. Such a move would make the bus more accessible for anyone living at that end of Canford Road.

7) Banned left turns from Falcondale Road to Henbury Hill (I strongly oppose this one, as it will force much more traffic along an already overly busy Crow Lane)
Agreed. Both these are pointless and will probably increase traffic congestion on other routes.

8) Blocking off Westbury High Street, to cars. (I understand why but it will be a nightmare and I think local business owners will kick up a big fuss about this one)
I think the locals will kick up a fuss on this one also. Pointless option for a road which only has one route with only one bus per hour Mondays to Saturdays and nothing at all on Sundays and Bank Holidays. This idea suggests an anti-motorist campaign (which is what I think quite a few parts of the scheme are for Westbury Village) rather than an attempt to persuade usage of other forms of transport.

9) Lights at the Falcondale Road/Passage Road/Greystoke Avenue junction. (Way overdue, nightmare to cross, people have been knocked down there, I have seen it happen many times, can't happen soon enough)
Agreed.

10) Bus lane on Passage Road between Charlton Road and Greystoke Avenue. (If they can acquire the land from St Monica's then it will be a good thing, although a lot of hedgerow will be lost)
Agreed. The bus lane does not need to be operating 24/7 though as there are no 24/7 bus routes along that road. Saying that I have often thought that a couple of night journeys each way on Service 1 would not be a bad idea (more direct route, with less journey time, between City Centre and Henbury) but there would not need to be a bus lane for those.

11) Ban turning right from Passage road to Charlton Road except for buses
Disagree with this one as it is pointless IMO as there is one route with only one bus per hour Mondays to Saturdays and nothing at all on Sundays and Bank Holidays. If this was being done for road safety then a better option might be a signal-controlled junction rather than making it a bus-only right turn. The lights could only be made to change when a vehicle was waiting to make the right turn which would be a similar principle to the lights near Cribbs Causeway at the junction with the A4018 and The Laurels.

12) Bus lanes and new crossing on Passage Road between Crow Lane Junction and Charlton Road, (I agree with this, and the crossing there is long overdue, as not too long ago someone was killed crossing here)
I agree with the idea of the crossing and the bus lanes but again I think that the bus lanes do not need to be operating 24/7 as there are no 24/7 bus routes along that road.

13) Replacement of Crow Lane roundabout with a signal controlled junction and the banning of the right turn between Passage Road and Knole Lane. (Upgraded crossings are a good thing to improve access to the dr's as crossing Knole Lane can be dangerous, but I disagree with the banning of the right turn from passage road into knole lane) as along with all the other changes the only right turn that will be allowed from the Downs to Cribbs Causeway will be Greystoke Avenue! Which is total madness for local people!)
Agree with you on this one. The other detour which people would be tempted to use to get to Knole Lane would be via. Henbury Hill and Crow Lane which would add to the congestion on Crow Lane. I agree with the replacement of the roundabout as that can be quite tricky to negotiate at times.

There a few other minor things I also suggested on the online consultation and I will be making them known in person too when there are the ones at Henbury Library.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, this looks rather perverse. You would think that there are some bigger issues to face into such as....removing the on street parking when dropping down to Clifton Down station and having a bus lane there? Removing the on-street parking on the climb up Blackboy Hill? These would help not just the 1, but many more services stuck on Whiteladies Road.
Disagree. If you took out the on-street parking then where would people park to go during the daytime if, say, they were picking up something that was too heavy to transport to the nearby NCP?

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Disagree. If you took out the on-street parking then where would people park to go during the daytime if, say, they were picking up something that was too heavy to transport to the nearby NCP?

The parking is largely in front of the church and residential houses. There's only Richer Sounds, and even the shops by Primo Café etc have their own parking area. The bus lane on the other side (up Whiteladies Road from Clifton Down) has parking in it and could be retained in front of the businesses. Similarly, the shops towards Black Boy Hill are estate agents, a Boots pharmacy, and a few coffee and craft shops - hardly likely to generate large consignments!

However, we have to get away from the idea that people have the divine right to drive and park wherever they wish. Everyone can come up with a reason why THEY should be excluded; they all have a valid reason why they have to drive/park. "I have to park outside my house as I have a diabetic child*/have heavy shopping*/have a job where I might be called out* - *delete as appropriate!

Put it another way, there are spaces to park about 15 cars on the stretch to Clifton Down station, and to allow that, we disadvantage god knows how many more people stuck on buses in the same burgeoning traffic. As for an anti-car agenda...really? It's not like metrobus has essentially been a way of securing public transport funding and then using it to build new roads - SBR, Stoke Gifford bypass??

carlberry

Established Member
M
I think the locals will kick up a fuss on this one also. Pointless option for a road which only has one route with only one bus per hour Mondays to Saturdays and nothing at all on Sundays and Bank Holidays. This idea suggests an anti-motorist campaign (which is what I think quite a few parts of the scheme are for Westbury Village) rather than an attempt to persuade usage of other forms of transport.
I suspect it's not being done for the bus, just to make Westbury a nicer place to be in. The road/pavements along High Street are narrow in places so less traffic will help.

Agreed. The bus lane does not need to be operating 24/7 though as there are no 24/7 bus routes along that road. Saying that I have often thought that a couple of night journeys each way on Service 1 would not be a bad idea (more direct route, with less journey time, between City Centre and Henbury) but there would not need to be a bus lane for those.
Too many people say they're 'confused' by bus lanes with time limits, 24 hour ones make them simple. When the buses arent running there are unlikely to be many cars around so, the reality is, opening it up would offer no benifit at all. Any boy racers that wanted to over take will just use the bus lane to under take anyway.

Disagree with this one as it is pointless IMO as there is one route with only one bus per hour Mondays to Saturdays and nothing at all on Sundays and Bank Holidays. If this was being done for road safety then a better option might be a signal-controlled junction rather than making it a bus-only right turn. The lights could only be made to change when a vehicle was waiting to make the right turn which would be a similar principle to the lights near Cribbs Causeway at the junction with the A4018 and The Laurels.
I suspect this is being done to keep traffic flowing. If the bus service wasn't there it would be shut off completely.

Whiteway215

Established Member
32673 was parked at the back of Bath bus station late this afternoon. A similar blue decker which I couldn't identify was parked further down the line but it appears 32669/73 are now in service.
32280 on 172

BPWUser1

Also in Bath today was 35147 on a 'Fed Cup Shuttle' between the Uni and the Lansdown P&R. Also joined by one of the 'white' coloured rental buses.

Marcus Fryer

Infequently used destination displays; there is one journey a week on the 19 which terminates at Warmley (16:00 Sat from Cribbs Causeway) and shows 'Warmley Tennis Court'.
There is one journey a day (15:30 Mon to Fri from the Centre) on the 36 which extends to Brislington (Stockwood Road) and shows 'Brislington St Brendan's'.
And there are the two T3 journeys to Aztec West (Mon to Fri).
Are there any other destinations of FWE buses that are displayed infrequently?