• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The 24 is currently on it's full route using Brookgate which avoids the bridge but is a longer route and a few stops in Ashton aren't served.
Thank you for that info. Local councillor on Evening P*sspoor soon then, "ELDERLY LOCKED IN THEIR HOUSES BY FIRSTBUS"........

I know I've asked this before but don't think there was a response. What stops the 24 going along South Liberty Lane and serving Ashton Vale that way? I know there's a bridge with traffic lights but there's commercial premises and no weight restriction??

About 2-3 years ago, the route was blocked and the 24 was diverted that way, albeit with Streetlites. I remember travelling on it wondering where I was heading!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
I know I've asked this before but don't think there was a response. What stops the 24 going along South Liberty Lane and serving Ashton Vale that way? I know there's a bridge with traffic lights but there's commercial premises and no weight restriction??

About 2-3 years ago, the route was blocked and the 24 was diverted that way, albeit with Streetlites. I remember travelling on it wondering where I was heading!!
Because it would miss out Ashton Gate ect, and serve a lot of nothingness along South Liberty Lane.

Buses in Bath

On a related note, is 44907 still at HE? I'm sort of surprised it hasn't been reactivated & sent back to Bath for the 2/20 etc.!

Also does anyone know whether the Wessex Water staff buses have resumed?
Bath doesnt want those old Enviros. That's why we got rid of them so I doubt it will go to Bath as we dont really need them with the Streetlites. I'm not sure what routes would allow them on but I did get one on the 7 once and I was shocked.

I saw a Wessex Water bus when I went into Bath on Monday.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Can anyone say which Streetlites are operating in Bath please? The tracker can’t tell us but Steve said 47554/5/71 were transferred in recently and 47570 was reported weeks ago.

Tommy Walters

Can anyone say which Streetlites are operating in Bath please? The tracker can’t tell us but Steve said 47554/5/71 were transferred in recently and 47570 was reported weeks ago.

Think it's as follows:

47442, 47446, 47544, 47554, 47555, 47570 & 47571!

Bath doesnt want those old Enviros. That's why we got rid of them so I doubt it will go to Bath as we dont really need them with the Streetlites. I'm not sure what routes would allow them on but I did get one on the 7 once and I was shocked.

I saw a Wessex Water bus when I went into Bath on Monday.

I only thought bringing it back as a temporary measure for the 2 (which I have seen one on), simply as it could take a couple more people than a Solo in the current circumstances. It's also a handy spare for the Wessex Water services, which clearly have resumed, so thanks for that!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Because it would miss out Ashton Gate ect, and serve a lot of nothingness along South Liberty Lane.

Granted there's not many houses along there but neither is there with the current route out past the P&R etc. I was thinking of a route that went

• Luckwell Road
  • Turn right down and past Sainsbury before a U turn at the roundabout to serve Hendre Road
  • Back up then turn right and along South Liberty Lane
  • Then do a one way AC loop around Ridsdale Road, Ashton Drive, Silbury Road, Ashton Drive, Langley Crescent before going back out to South Liberty Lane
  • Turn left back to again serve Sainsbury and Hendre Road before back up and left into Luckwell Road
The one issue, and it may be why it's not doable, is the right turn into South Liberty Lane. There isn't a "no right turn" but also, there is no filter lane; in fact, there's a filter for traffic coming the other way to turn into Luckwell Road. Maybe I've answered my own question :lol:

freetoview33

Established Member
Granted there's not many houses along there but neither is there with the current route out past the P&R etc. I was thinking of a route that went

• Luckwell Road
  • Turn right down and past Sainsbury before a U turn at the roundabout to serve Hendre Road
  • Back up then turn right and along South Liberty Lane
  • Then do a one way AC loop around Ridsdale Road, Ashton Drive, Silbury Road, Ashton Drive, Langley Crescent before going back out to South Liberty Lane
  • Turn left back to again serve Sainsbury and Hendre Road before back up and left into Luckwell Road
The one issue, and it may be why it's not doable, is the right turn into South Liberty Lane. There isn't a "no right turn" but also, there is no filter lane; in fact, there's a filter for traffic coming the other way to turn into Luckwell Road. Maybe I've answered my own question :lol:
Another reason the original plan of the loop around Ashton was people weren't keen on double deckers going around, and it taking longer than 3 stops to get up to Sainsburys. Hence the 24A.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Another reason the original plan of the loop around Ashton was people weren't keen on double deckers going around, and it taking longer than 3 stops to get up to Sainsburys. Hence the 24A.

Yes, though that was courtesy of the long and winding route that they enjoy on eves/Sundays (and now). There isn't a simple solution other than single deckers on a higher frequency..... :lol:

carlberry

Established Member
Not without a major civil engineering project!
Something like a large bridge that connects somewhere on one side of the railway track in the area with somewhere on the other. You could even make it a bus only bridge. Perhaps even dual use with other buses that have to go in roughly the same direction such as to the airport or to the park and ride site!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Something like a large bridge that connects somewhere on one side of the railway track in the area with somewhere on the other. You could even make it a bus only bridge. Perhaps even dual use with other buses that have to go in roughly the same direction such as to the airport or to the park and ride site!

That would never work.... well, not without some ability to regulate them via some form of physical guidance. And then you'd need some carriageway that magically accesses the rear of Ashton Vale.

I don't know where you get your crackpot ideas from...... ;)

martyjon

Does any poster to this forum know what is happening with the m3 as all journeys from Emersons Green now are operated as an m3x. If the m3 does return in its previous form consideration should be given to operate some journeys as an m3x outbound in the morning peak and in the afternoon peak inbound.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
What do people think the future of the 9, 24A and 35 in Bristol will be?

I'm expecting to see the 9 being absorbed into the new 72A, saying that the 35 could always be extended to Redland and renumbered as a 9 as parts of Redland would retain a service to the City Centre and if timed right you could have a two hourly cross city service.

As for the 24A, maybe this could be turned into a 349esq style service around Ashton Gate.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm expecting to see the 9 being absorbed into the new 72A, saying that the 35 could always be extended to Redland and renumbered as a 9 as parts of Redland would retain a service to the City Centre and if timed right you could have a two hourly cross city service.

As for the 24A, maybe this could be turned into a 349esq style service around Ashton Gate.
I think the consensus on the 9 is it will be absorbed into the 72/72A.

However, the idea that there will be some two hourly 35 between Marshfield and Redland....er no.

The idea that there could be a 24A taxibus might not be the most ridiculous one put forward.

Whiteway215

Established Member
With the Bustracker being up the creek can our Wells experts tell me which of 33831-40/57 are officially allocated there and which are Bath vehicles? Thanks.

Citistar

The idea that there could be a 24A taxibus might not be the most ridiculous one put forward.

I think the problem with 24A is that it is just so unimaginative, one of those typical First solutions which gets put in to place when they've cocked something up and have no intention of retaining it longer term. It reminds me of the 378 shuttle between Keynsham and Timsbury. Or the 91 (to Broadwalk Square). Or the 53A/53C. Or the 2A.

The southern end of 24 service as it stands has quite a substantial area where it is the only service, but it feels really cumbersome as it zigzags around. I'd have thought a one way terminal loop from Ashton Road and Marsh Road via Winterstoke Road to Luckwell Road and Duckmoor Road would save quite a significant resource which could be redeployed to operate a less frequent single deck service in to Ashton Vale, then provide something different between there and the city centre (perhaps Bedminster Road and St Johns Lane to Temple Meads and Centre and/or Broadmead?)

Martin2012

Throughout the lockdown period the Yate and Sodbury routes seem to have almost exclusively been in the hands of the new yellow gas buses but over the last week I've started to notice more of the older vehicles appearing on these routes. Particularly Y3, Y4 and Y5 with only the Y1 seeming to have the newer vehicles.

Was it always the case that the newer vehicles were only ever intended for the Y1 but due to reductions during lockdown they have been deployed on other Yate routes or are some of the newer ones maybe off the road at the moment?

Also for anyone interested 39408 in Citylines East branding made a guest appearance on Y1 tuesday evening.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Throughout the lockdown period the Yate and Sodbury routes seem to have almost exclusively been in the hands of the new yellow gas buses but over the last week I've started to notice more of the older vehicles appearing on these routes. Particularly Y3, Y4 and Y5 with only the Y1 seeming to have the newer vehicles.

Was it always the case that the newer vehicles were only ever intended for the Y1 but due to reductions during lockdown they have been deployed on other Yate routes or are some of the newer ones maybe off the road at the moment?

Also for anyone interested 39408 in Citylines East branding made a guest appearance on Y1 tuesday evening.

The gas buses are for use on the T1 and Y1; remember there are only 13 South Glos Lynx liveried examples.

When the lockdown was at its peak and much of the FWoE fleet SORN'ed, the gas buses were retained because they are new and more efficient. The T1 and Y1 were at a reduced frequency so there were more spare gas buses and they were put to use on the other SGL routes. Now frequencies are changing back to nearer normal, they are then going back to the T1/Y1 and older vehicles are relicensed for use on the Y3 etc

BBC

How do you mean? Extra seats or just extra frequencies.

From our weekly news letter.

”The new norm from Monday coming is 50% of the seats are able to be used. This significantly changes things.
We are re-organising and re- marking the fleet over the week -end with new layouts for every bus and new signs for the entrance.
With the new arrangements every row will be used, but people should only sit side-by- side if they are from the same household or “bubble”.“

Extra seats so you can have every row available but just the window seat (unless you're with someone from your household).
That’s good they are increasing the amount of available seats as that’s kinda what happens now anyway when people don’t want to abide by the rules. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of full buses significantly.

CD

From our weekly news letter.

”The new norm from Monday coming is 50% of the seats are able to be used. This significantly changes things.
We are re-organising and re- marking the fleet over the week -end with new layouts for every bus and new signs for the entrance.
With the new arrangements every row will be used, but people should only sit side-by- side if they are from the same household or “bubble”.“
This started on BOS last Monday 6th July.
Not ideal for anyone with a nervous disposition, as your knees are about 6 inches from the person in front, your body about 18 inches.
So best to sit at the rear so nobody is behind you !

Buses in Bath

I went on the 3a today and the searing arrangements have changed for that bus so it's at 50% capacity. I've forgotten the fleet number but it was a 12 plate ex Diamond enviro 400

henairs

Hi,
Went to Wells today from Street and noted 33831/834 on 376 with 33836/837 on the Romans and 33839/857 on Wells depot. 32338 on loan also on a Roman.
Cheers, Mike