• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I've heard on a Facebook group that when Weston's new streetdecks arrive, 33965-71 will be transferring to Weymouth for Jurassic Coaster work.

Was reading the same convo a few minutes ago. Guessing the MMCs are being released from the 1/2 thanks to COVID reductions?

There seems to be a lot of pieces missing though, such as what will happen with the remaining Excel fleet. The rest of the 56-plates are definitely off to Basildon to kill off Tridents/B7TLs, but I'm struggling to see where the rest of the E400s end up. The 12 plates and 63-plates will definitely be sought after by other First areas to remove older deckers.

Complete guess but maybe some of the E400s will end up with Cymru to finally retire their W and X reg B7s, or perhaps Eastern Counties or Essex to remove the superannuated fleet trundling around Great Yarmouth and Hadleigh? Do love a bit of speculation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Was reading the same convo a few minutes ago. Guessing the MMCs are being released from the 1/2 thanks to COVID reductions?

There seems to be a lot of pieces missing though, such as what will happen with the remaining Excel fleet. The rest of the 56-plates are definitely off to Basildon to kill off Tridents/B7TLs, but I'm struggling to see where the rest of the E400s end up. The 12 plates and 63-plates will definitely be sought after by other First areas to remove older deckers.

Complete guess but maybe some of the E400s will end up with Cymru to finally retire their W and X reg B7s, or perhaps Eastern Counties or Essex to remove the superannuated fleet trundling around Great Yarmouth and Hadleigh? Do love a bit of speculation.
Cascades within First Group involve many moving parts and not necessarily moving in perfect synchronicity - remember the cascade of Glasgow B7TLs to Cornwall but having a rest in Bristol for about 6/7 months before heading further south? Certainly, the older B9s on Jurassic Coaster work are getting on a bit and showing it, so some ex Bristol mmcs would be an upgrade; better still if they give them a refurb thought they're only 6 years old. I was a bit dubious about the ex Manchester e400s on JC routes but, albeit a very small sample, the ones I travelled on earlier this year were fine on the climbs.

A few things that crossed my mind.... Are all of the Excel e400s at Weston being replaced? Are the few B9TLs at Wells to be replaced by e400s at some point? Are the Bristol B9s in Hoeford on loan - seen it suggested they are and hence why branding hasn't been removed?

volvob12

A few things that crossed my mind.... Are all of the Excel e400s at Weston being replaced? Are the few B9TLs at Wells to be replaced by e400s at some point? Are the Bristol B9s in Hoeford on loan - seen it suggested they are and hence why branding hasn't been removed?

The 2008 B9TLs from Weymouth are heading to Portsmouth, alongside 2 from the loaned Bristol batch, once upgraded.

From what I’m aware the rest of the Bristol B9s aren’t permanent there and aren’t due back here either.

I wonder what’s replacing the MMCs in Bristol? PVR reduction, existing fleet (Urban MMC repainted?) or ex Weston E400s?

Callum15632

The 2008 B9TLs from Weymouth are heading to Portsmouth, alongside 2 from the loaned Bristol batch, once upgraded.

From what I’m aware the rest of the Bristol B9s aren’t permanent there and aren’t due back here either.

I wonder what’s replacing the MMCs in Bristol? PVR reduction, existing fleet (Urban MMC repainted?) or ex Weston E400s?
Maybe the 8 streetdecks from the Weston order as it said 20 for Weston, 8 for Bristol.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Guessing the MMCs are being released from the 1/2 thanks to COVID reductions?
Surprising move if so given the impending frequency increase on the 2/2A effective 30th January. But perhaps the 8 Streetdecks are not being put on the X53 given their reputation on the 376 between Bristol and Wells? IIRC the X53 is quite hilly on parts of the route although come to that the 2/2A have their share of hills too but perhaps less so.

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
IIRC the X53 is quite hilly on parts of the route although come to that the 2/2A have their share of hills too but perhaps less so.
Perhaps?

Abbotsbury Hill is about a mile long and about a 20% gradient for a fair chunk of it - see photo from Isisbridge https://www.flickr.com/photos/61686...uEf-oCL3Yo-8LuMcf-oCtzSu-bTRUnt-aHPsex-aJ8b42

Lyme Regis is a 14% gradient as you climb out the town, and there are other punishing climbs as well. The hills in Bristol are nothing compared to the Jurassic Coast o_O

Callum15632

Surprising move if so given the impending frequency increase on the 2/2A effective 30th January. But perhaps the 8 Streetdecks are not being put on the X53 given their reputation on the 376 between Bristol and Wells? IIRC the X53 is quite hilly on parts of the route although come to that the 2/2A have their share of hills too but perhaps less so.
The 2/2a hardly have any hills compared to the X53 in Weymouth and the 376 in Bristol. The only hills that are a bit difficult is Park Street and the Whiteladies Road one going up to Black Boy Hill and Totterdown Hill. Other than that they don't have any other hills.

Genuine question, how many MMCs in Bristol are in Urban livery? I’m struggling to think of any, they all seem to be branded for the 1/2, 48/49, airport routes or University routes. I know there’s a gas-powered E400 City in “generic” (Urban II??) fleet livery but can’t recall any MMCs like this.

Markk1990

There are a couple of E400 City in Urban but all MMC's are either yellow/orange (even they can't decide) or blue fronted.
With the departure of the 1/2 branded B9's to Weston it is likely new stock is incoming for the services.

Callum15632

36814 and 36823 are in urban at Hengrove but they’re obviously Scania mmcs
There are E400 Cities in urban grey/lilac fronted. 39449,39491 and 39492 are grey/lilac fronted gas scanias.
There are a couple of E400 City in Urban but all MMC's are either yellow/orange (even they can't decide) or blue fronted.
With the departure of the 1/2 branded B9's to Weston it is likely new stock is incoming for the services.
I doubt it there will be new stock for the 1 and 2. If there is new stock for the 1 and 2 what buses do you think it is gonna be? And what will the 2a get or will it be the same buses as the 2?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Perhaps?

Abbotsbury Hill is about a mile long and about a 20% gradient for a fair chunk of it - see photo from Isisbridge https://www.flickr.com/photos/61686...uEf-oCL3Yo-8LuMcf-oCtzSu-bTRUnt-aHPsex-aJ8b42

Lyme Regis is a 14% gradient as you climb out the town, and there are other punishing climbs as well. The hills in Bristol are nothing compared to the Jurassic Coast o_O
Thanks for the clarification. I have never used the X53 so I didn't know. I had forgotten about the hill at Lyme Regis but I have only been there once and that was on a Stagecoach 9A from Exeter which couldn't go the whole way due to building works blocking the road and instead terminated in the car park on Pound Street.

Dave

Callum15632

Thanks for the clarification. I have never used the X53 so I didn't know. I had forgotten about the hill at Lyme Regis but I have only been there once and that was on a Stagecoach 9A from Exeter which couldn't go the whole way due to building works blocking the road and instead terminated in the car park on Pound Street.

Dave
I haven't been on the X53 either but I do get on the 2/2a in Bristol quite often though.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I haven't been on the X53 either.
You really should try it. It's an exceptional trip.

From Weymouth, you first leave the town and after going through Westham, you climb up to Chickerell and then it's fairly rolling countryside as you go through Portesham to Abbotsbury. Then you have the long slog that is Abbotsbury Hill which is 20% in places. Then you drop back down to sea level by the time you reach Burton Bradstock and West Bay. After passing through Bridport (lovely town), you climb out on the A35 and then back into Chideock before another hill (15%) before again dropping down into Charmouth. Onward from Charmouth and other tortuous climb before descending again to sea level at Lyme Regis with one more thumping climb out of that town before you head inland towards Axminster with more rolling countryside.

The X51 is a little better. It shares the Axminster to Bridport part with the X53 and then some very punishing rolling hills to Dorchester and then the sharp descent via Upwey into Weymouth. Oh, and the scenery is fantastic so would really recommend it. Do it in the summer and you might get the X52 and some more ex Bristol deckers (B7TLs)

They are classic routes but they are punishing trips for vehicles allocated to it. Bristol is hilly and demanding for urban work but the X51/53 are another thing altogether. The trial of the Bristol Streetdeck was very surprising, given the 376 experience, and it isn't a shock that they aren't destined for Wessex. If 33965-71 do go there, they'll be worked hard. I was always surprised that when the Streetdecks were banished from 376 that some of the 65/66 plate single door e400mmc from the 1/2 or 48/49 didn't end up at Wells rather than the ex Kernow 12 plates.

Callum15632

From Weymouth, you first leave the town and after going through Westham, you climb up to Chickerell and then it's fairly rolling countryside as you go through Portesham to Abbotsbury. Then you have the long slog that is Abbotsbury Hill which is 20% in places. Then you drop back down to sea level by the time you reach Burton Bradstock and West Bay. After passing through Bridport (lovely town), you climb out on the A35 and then back into Chideock before another hill (15%) before again dropping down into Charmouth. Onward from Charmouth and other tortuous climb before descending again to sea level at Lyme Regis with one more thumping climb out of that town before you head inland towards Axminster with more rolling countryside.

The X51 is a little better. It shares the Axminster to Bridport part with the X53 and then some very punishing rolling hills to Dorchester and then the sharp descent via Upwey into Weymouth. Oh, and the scenery is fantastic so would really recommend it. Do it in the summer and you might get the X52 and some more ex Bristol deckers (B7TLs)

They are classic routes but they are punishing trips for vehicles allocated to it. Bristol is hilly and demanding for urban work but the X51/53 are another thing altogether. The trial of the Bristol Streetdeck was very surprising, given the 376 experience, and it isn't a shock that they aren't destined for Wessex. If 33965-71 do go there, they'll be worked hard. I was always surprised that when the Streetdecks were banished from 376 that some of the 65/66 plate single door e400mmc from the 1/2 or 48/49 didn't end up at Wells rather than the ex Kernow 12 plates.
Yeah I have had a look on Google maps on bits of the X53. Which one is quicker from Axminster to Weymouth, The X51 or X53?
The SN65 plate MMCs will do a good job on the X51 and X53 routes. What do you mean by more ex Bristol Deckers? By any chance do you mean 32329,32330,32343 ex Bath B7TLs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yeah I have had a look on Google maps on bits of the X53. Which one is quicker from Axminster to Weymouth, The X51 or X53?
The SN65 plate MMCs will do a good job on the X51 and X53 routes. What do you mean by more ex Bristol Deckers? By any chance do you mean 32329,32330,32343 ex Bath B7TLs.
The X53 is slighter quicker by about 6/7 mins.

32329/30/43 may have spent the last 18 months to 2.5 years in Bath, but they spent the majority of their lives with FWoE working from Hengrove depot (so I tend to regard them more Bristolian than Bathonian), as part of the batch 32328-47 that arrived in 2012 until the batch began being spread about c.2017. 32329/30 also had spells at Lawrence Hill depot before moving to Bath in late 2019.

carlberry

Established Member
Apparantly the first Streetdeck is now at Weston, however it's one of the ex Sheffield ones from Bath (35130) at present. Plus two ex Swansea Streetlights (47661/62) have chosen an odd time of year to visit the seaside!

Westonian

Apparantly the first Streetdeck is now at Weston, however it's one of the ex Sheffield ones from Bath (35130) at present. Plus two ex Swansea Streetlights (47661/62) have chosen an odd time of year to visit the seaside!
Weston also has 35137 from same batch but disgraced itself on its first outing by breaking down at Burnham on 14 December. Yes, strange choice of the two Streetlites due to demise of the Darts and transfer of the 51 from Stagecoach.

The Weston Mercury website reported a fire on a bus this morning at Haywood Village. It was pink 47556 on service 51, no injuries thankfully, damage to engine compartment.

Last edited:

Callum15632

I have been on 33968 SN65 ZDE today on the 2 this afternoon going to Cribbs Causeway. It managed the hills well, so maybe it will be good for the Jurassic Coaster routes, but it struggled leaving Rugby Club bus stop by Cribbs.

Does anyone know where the current Jurassic Coaster B9s and E400s are going to go once the SN65 plate E400 MMCs transfer to Weymouth for Jurassic Coaster routes?

Last edited:

MacT

I have been on 33968 SN65 ZDE today on the 2 this afternoon going to Cribbs Causeway. It managed the hills well, so maybe it will be good for the Jurassic Coaster routes, but it struggled leaving Rugby Club bus stop by Cribbs.

Does anyone know where the current Jurassic Coaster B9s and E400s are going to go once the SN65 plate E400 MMCs transfer to Weymouth for Jurassic Coaster routes?
The E400s (Bar 33699 which has been on loan for a year!!) will be remaining with Wessex.
B9TLs 37580-3/5-6 will transfer to Hoeford depot, to allow loaned B9s to head back.
Ex Greenline B9s 37276/987/997-9 will remain with Wessex.
Hope that clears up your question.

Callum15632

The E400s (Bar 33699 which has been on loan for a year!!) will be remaining with Wessex.
B9TLs 37580-3/5-6 will transfer to Hoeford depot, to allow loaned B9s to head back.
Ex Greenline B9s 37276/987/997-9 will remain with Wessex.
Hope that clears up your question.
Okay thanks for clarifying. So does that mean the loaned B9s at Hoeford Depot at the moment (37338/48/37613/20/21/26) can go back to Bristol to replace the MMCs on the 1, 2 and 2a then? Or maybe Streetdecks will still go to Bristol but only 8?

volvob12

Okay thanks for clarifying. So does that mean the loaned B9s at Hoeford Depot at the moment (37338/48/37613/20/21/26) can go back to Bristol to replace the MMCs on the 1, 2 and 2a then? Or maybe Streetdecks will still go to Bristol but only 8?
See post #29673 - they’re not coming back and are due elsewhere.

It seems as though there aren’t going to be any arrivals to replace the MMCs on the 1/2.

vla50

Are there any plans to move the 12/63 reg off Excel (I know this was asked but I didn't know if they were actually moving or if it was just speculation)

Also are all the 08/58 reg Excel examples moving to HDB, there's a small number of Mylleniums unless they're replacing other things?

Callum15632

Are there any plans to move the 12/63 reg off Excel (I know this was asked but I didn't know if they were actually moving or if it was just speculation)

Also are all the 08/58 reg Excel examples moving to HDB, there's a small number of Mylleniums unless they're replacing other things?
Nope I don't think they are going to HDB as 37338/48/37613/20/21/26 from WOE are already there and once Weymouth get 33965-71 SN65 reg E400 MMCs the HX08 reg B9s are going to Portsmouth and 37338/48/37613/20/21/26 are going elsewhere but not back to Bristol.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Nope I don't think they are going to HDB as 37338/48/37613/20/21/26 from WOE are already there and once Weymouth get 33965-71 SN65 reg E400 MMCs the HX08 reg B9s are going to Portsmouth and 37338/48/37613/20/21/26 are going elsewhere but not back to Bristol.
I also read somewhere 37338/48 were staying at Hoeford to replace 32093/4 and the other four were going ‘elsewhere’

Whiteway215

Established Member
What do they mean by 'elsewhere'. Maybe Cymru or First Eastern Counties to replace elderly B7TLs and ALX400s
It wasn’t specified where they would end up, but certainly not returning to Bristol.
Cymru or Eastern Counties with their ageing deckers would be logical and of course Eastern Counties still has several Tridents.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It wasn’t specified where they would end up, but certainly not returning to Bristol.
Cymru or Eastern Counties with their ageing deckers would be logical and of course Eastern Counties still has several Tridents.
Well it could be those....but remember that there are places that have or will get Clean Air Zones that will need appropriate deckers. We'll have to see where they turn up.