• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
One thing I have noticed, comparing the new and current 349 timetables, is that the 2015, 2115 and 2215 Bristol to Keynsham journeys, along with their return workings, are dropped meaning that the last 349 from Bristol will now be at 1910
Could that be because the x39 between bristol and bath becomes the 39 after 7pm and includes a trip into Keynsham? I.e. there's no need for the 349 after 7pm because the 39 satisfies that need.

I guess it does miss out the Keynsham estates though so not fully meeting the need, but I suspect demand wise it's enough.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
@TheGrandWazoo and @RELL6L, if you do get a chance between now and October, do out on the 126. I did it last week, and it really is a stunning route, particularly from the top deck. I regret it is a service I have never really had to use much in my life, and is a real shame that, despite being busy, still isn't viable.

On a trivial note, I believe (though happy to be corrected), that 126 is the oldest country service number in our region.

Count me in, I am also doing the 126 in late September

stait.john

39454 has returned to Lawrence Hill in allover dark blue base ready for a driver recruitment allover advert to be applied. I believe 39463 will be done too.

Attachments

• 33BD80F4-2413-40DB-8771-7C0D1A6967E5.jpeg
    33BD80F4-2413-40DB-8771-7C0D1A6967E5.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 59

Class 33

Established Member
My prediction for the timetable structure for the 47 turned out to be near enough correct then. Hourly. Monday-Saturdays only, with the last services departing 7pm-ish. Though only exception being the last one of the day day departing Broadmead is at 6:10pm!

Still waiting for the new 17 and Y6 timetables to go online, to see if these services are upon leaving Southmead Hospital towards Bristol Bus Station run via Dorian Road or Monks Park Avenue and Filton Road.

Citistar

Still waiting for the new 17 and Y6 timetables to go online, to see if these services are upon leaving Southmead Hospital towards Bristol Bus Station run via Dorian Road or Monks Park Avenue and Filton Road.
The maps for the 17 and Y6 on Traveline SW show both running via Dorian Road.

-Colly405-

My prediction for the timetable structure for the 47 turned out to be near enough correct then. Hourly. Monday-Saturdays only, with the last services departing 7pm-ish. Though only exception being the last one of the day day departing Broadmead is at 6:10pm!

Thr 17 and Y6 times are available on TravelineSW and TravelWest

RELL6L

@TheGrandWazoo and @RELL6L, if you do get a chance between now and October, do out on the 126. I did it last week, and it really is a stunning route, particularly from the top deck. I regret it is a service I have never really had to use much in my life, and is a real shame that, despite being busy, still isn't viable.

On a trivial note, I believe (though happy to be corrected), that 126 is the oldest country service number in our region.
I do hope to do this. Looking at BusTimes it appears that every day only 2 of the 3 boards appear to run, the missing one being the one that appears to start in Weston. Is this just a glitch or do only two boards run - does anyone know?

I had thought of including the 178 but that looks like carnage with 2 diversions this week.

Last edited:

Dren Ahmeti

I do hope to do this. Looking at BusTimes it appears that every day only 2 of the 3 boards appear to run, the missing one being the one that appears to start in Weston. Is this just a glitch or do only two boards run - does anyone know?

I had thought of including the 178 but that looks like carnage with 2 diversions this week.
Weston run bus board 2021, which starts with the 126 off Weston at 06:55, and ends with the 17:50 off Wells.

Meanwhile Wells have 1262 and 1263:
1262 starts at Wells at 06:30, and ends with the 17:25 run from Weston.
1263 starts 07:05 from Wells, and ends with the 18:25 run from Weston.

One might not run due to driver availability? Better keep it at 2 PVR (peak vehicle requirement), than nothing!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

It does seem very strange that the Weston board just hasn't operated in months but nothing on the website etc (that I can see).

I think you should be fine on the 178 though. There's just a lot of roadworks around Midsomer Norton and Radstock at the moment and it simply is struggling to manage with those plus ones at Paulton and Keynsham.

RELL6L

It does seem very strange that the Weston board just hasn't operated in months but nothing on the website etc (that I can see).

I think you should be fine on the 178 though. There's just a lot of roadworks around Midsomer Norton and Radstock at the moment and it simply is struggling to manage with those plus ones at Paulton and Keynsham.
No, that’s what I thought, the Weston board has not appeared on BusTimes since July (not checked every day but most), but if it wasn’t running at all, last journey ex Wells, you’d expect there to be something online.

Not so sure about relying on the 178, the 08.10 from Bristol reached Midsomer Norton 45 late yesterday….

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
No, that’s what I thought, the Weston board has not appeared on BusTimes since July (not checked every day but most), but if it wasn’t running at all, last journey ex Wells, you’d expect there to be something online.

Not so sure about relying on the 178, the 08.10 from Bristol reached Midsomer Norton 45 late yesterday….
Yeah, they're diverting via Saltford and Corston (not Midsomer Murders!!) as the road to Burnett is closed. The 0810 will therefore get caught with all the Wellsway School traffic and the peak hour traffic in Saltford. The off-peak ones are fairing better but even then, with the road closure at Paulton Hospital, they have another sizeable diversion.

Just as well as they're missing out Radstock as there are another two sets of temporary lights between there and Norton!

I have a plan to do the 126 and it is supposedly involving the Weston board!

RELL6L

Yeah, they're diverting via Saltford and Corston (not Midsomer Murders!!) as the road to Burnett is closed. The 0810 will therefore get caught with all the Wellsway School traffic and the peak hour traffic in Saltford. The off-peak ones are fairing better but even then, with the road closure at Paulton Hospital, they have another sizeable diversion.

Just as well as they're missing out Radstock as there are another two sets of temporary lights between there and Norton!

I have a plan to do the 126 and it is supposedly involving the Weston board!
Note also that Weston-bound 126s are not taking in Axbridge. I was thinking of stopping off there but that’s more challenging now, especially if only two boards are running. This closure makes the service useless for Axbridge as anybody going anywhere either can’t get there or can’t get back!

Hope you manage a trip and it works out, I’m still in the Lake District.

stait.john

Because Weston generally use the same bus (33665) on their 126, maybe it’s not tracking correctly?

AB93

The Weston 126 board does run, bustimes just seems to have stopped recognising the data from it.

Note also that Weston-bound 126s are not taking in Axbridge. I was thinking of stopping off there but that’s more challenging now, especially if only two boards are running. This closure makes the service useless for Axbridge as anybody going anywhere either can’t get there or can’t get back!
Buses stop on the by-pass when they can't get through Axbridge, which unfortunately is quite often.

RELL6L

The Weston 126 board does run, bustimes just seems to have stopped recognising the data from it.

Buses stop on the by-pass when they can't get through Axbridge, which unfortunately is quite often.
Because Weston generally use the same bus (33665) on their 126, maybe it’s not tracking correctly?
That’s really helpful, someone who knows it does run and maybe why it doesn’t track- 33665 hasn’t tracked for ages. Thank you!

Snow1964

Established Member
That’s really helpful, someone who knows it does run and maybe why it doesn’t track- 33665 hasn’t tracked for ages. Thank you!

Tracking will not work if broken or not set up properly.

If you are thinking that sounds like poor quality maintenance or repair, remember the maintenance is probably at same depot/garage that also checks the buses brakes. And do you really think they routinely apply different quality standards to same vehicle.

Dren Ahmeti

It’s just Ticketer being Ticketer. I’ll raise it with the correct people - is it a Weston vehicle or Wells?
If it’s Weston, I’ll tell them myself on Saturday!

Russel

I've just done a Flickr search for 33665 out of curiosity, I have to say, the Mendip Explorer livery is awful, and I'm not one to usually complain about liveries.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
And proof it does exist. Axbridge is indeed on diversion and some delays are the result

Also, a save the 126 campaign is being waged with people asked to email Doug Claringbold and providing his email address!

Attachments

• E6CCB7E9-2428-4EC5-B88D-AD37C4EAC6F5.jpeg
    E6CCB7E9-2428-4EC5-B88D-AD37C4EAC6F5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 78
  • B5FB6D13-7BE3-40B0-AD1D-D703AF0A4304.jpeg
    B5FB6D13-7BE3-40B0-AD1D-D703AF0A4304.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • 9E56F581-B670-4595-BD9B-5219AE5E18EA.jpeg
    9E56F581-B670-4595-BD9B-5219AE5E18EA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
And proof it does exist. Axbridge is indeed on diversion and some delays are the result

Also, a save the 126 campaign is being waged with people asked to email Doug Claringbold and providing his email address!
That Mendip Explorer livery is one of my favourite liveries: if / when it disappears I will be sorry to see it go.

Dave

Whiteway215

Established Member
Are Somerset County Council and /or North Somerset Council doing anything about making the 126 a supported service?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Not according to First‘s West of England website ‘Changes to Bath and North East Somerset area services from October 9th’
Perhaps you should provide the link and a quote so that we could all see ;)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Is it true that one of the two Bath - Wells routes (173 I think) is being withdrawn as well?
They did announce it as being under threat but then it was saved.

I travelled on the 126 today (0835 from Wells) and it was certainly used by a number of people - I reckon about 20 people (and no pensioners obvs). At Weston, the outgoing service was descended upon by a raft of twirly pass holders! I'll post photos and more details when I have chance to put a trip report together. I know the 126 has traditionally been one of the weaker routes and home to some older kit. However, for it to simply be axed would be unconscionable, and you'd hope the relevant local authorities can do something to save it and in its current form and frequency.

Again, I'll mention it on the subsequent trip report but it was a rather dispiriting day on First's buses locally. The challenges of reduced ridership and driver shortages are ones that affect all operators. However, the good work undertaken by First over the last 8-10 years is unravelling so quickly and it is evident in many other facets. Saw some of the m3 fleet today - externally filthy, and not recent roadfilm but ingrained grime.

Then we have the new routes - the 379 Bristol to Bath didn't work before but it's reappearing to provide the A37 with a service it doesn't need and leaving some places with little to no service; conveniently, it is isn't shown on the 172-4 timetable so you'd perhaps not twig it's part of a 15 min headway to Midsomer Norton. Then there's the 376 with it's new non-clockface frequency and departures (from Bristol) at 0910, 0940, 1013, 1043, 1113, 1146, 1218, 1248, 1319, 1349, and so it goes on... The 17 being extending down Gloucester Road. The new 47 - nearly two hours to get from Bristol to Yate... Buses up Church Road to Kingswood - in Jan 2020, every 10 mins and now every 20 mins whilst it's every 15 mins to Hanham...

The full picture (well not quite as not all the times are on there) is available at https://www.firstbus.co.uk/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/planned-changes

Few places are as depressing as the travel office in Bath bus station. Standards have slipped, and simple marketing (like leaflets and bus stop publicity) is minimal yet they can spend money on billboards... Jeez...

Last edited:

Citistar

Then we have the new routes - the 379 Bristol to Bath didn't work before but it's reappearing to provide the A37 with a service it doesn't need and leaving some places with little to no service; conveniently, it is isn't shown on the 172-4 timetable so you'd perhaps not twig it's part of a 15 min headway to Midsomer Norton. Then there's the 376 with it's new non-clockface frequency and departures (from Bristol) at 0910, 0940, 1013, 1043, 1113, 1146, 1218, 1248, 1319, 1349, and so it goes on...

I went in to Bristol on the 376 yesterday. Given the chaos on the 178 this week with Paulton and Burnett road closures, i decided a 35min walk to White Cross would be a safer bet. Despite being a morning peak journey, the only other passengers picked up between White Cross and Whitchurch were three at Pensford Bridge - nobody at Temple Cloud, Clutton or Chelwood Bridge. At Whitchurch, it picked up remarkably. I struggle to see why 379 is part of the solution rather than just increasing the service between Whitchurch and Bristol to every 15 mins. The only logical conclusion i can reach is that there may be developer funding from the new housing springing up on the outskirts of Whitchurch which requires something new to be provided and if that is the case, why not combine it with the developer funding from Keynsham to run a service from Keynsham via Whitchurch to Bristol?

Few places are as depressing as the travel office in Bath bus station. Standards have slipped, and simple marketing (like leaflets and bus stop publicity) is minimal yet they can spend money on billboards... Jeez...

Last week's trip out was to Bath and i though much the same. The new (since i last visited anyway) electronic information boards are a ghastly cluttered mess as well. Whoever specified those did a terrible job.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I went in to Bristol on the 376 yesterday. Given the chaos on the 178 this week with Paulton and Burnett road closures, i decided a 35min walk to White Cross would be a safer bet. Despite being a morning peak journey, the only other passengers picked up between White Cross and Whitchurch were three at Pensford Bridge - nobody at Temple Cloud, Clutton or Chelwood Bridge. At Whitchurch, it picked up remarkably. I struggle to see why 379 is part of the solution rather than just increasing the service between Whitchurch and Bristol to every 15 mins. The only logical conclusion i can reach is that there may be developer funding from the new housing springing up on the outskirts of Whitchurch which requires something new to be provided and if that is the case, why not combine it with the developer funding from Keynsham to run a service from Keynsham via Whitchurch to Bristol?
IIRC, the original 379 was developer funded in relation to Paulton? It solves a problem we didn't know needed solving and I can only recall how unreliable that and the 178 were as part of the Radstock to Bath corridor. Einstein's definition of insanity?

I don't like to criticise operators unduly (honestly) and I know the pressures. However, some of these ill-considered changes seem to be a mix of computer generated outputs that haven't been sufficiently critiqued, allied to some messing around with crayons and a bit of nostalgia (with the return of a number of former service numbers - the 13 to Elmhurst).
Last week's trip out was to Bath and i though much the same. The new (since i last visited anyway) electronic information boards are a ghastly cluttered mess as well. Whoever specified those did a terrible job.
I did see those and I thought they were a bit naff (but I could read them).

RELL6L

I am currently on the Weston board on the 126 and can confirm it is 33665. Well into double figures alighted from the bus and about a dozen of us onboard now as we are leaving Weston, several of whom paid a fare. Withdrawing these seems utterly crazy. Much prefer the Badgerline colours on the Streetdecks though.
9CCA87EC-5E1D-4249-A59B-681BA758E17D.jpeg

Update-we are now at Cheddar. 18 upstairs and 12 now boarding at the village centre here, we’re going to be full at this rate!

To be fair I have seen the two Wells boards heading towards Weston and they looked quite a bit emptier. Road works at the A38/A371 junction could well cause delays later although we were OK.

Final update - 39 on board arriving at Wells!

Last edited:

Martin2013

One concern I have about the new timetables from 9th October is that on a number of routes the last journeys will be earlier than at present. In some instances this is across all days and in others its on Sundays. I'm concerned this is the start of a longer term trend where evening provision will start being scaled back further and further until eventually evening services are at a bare minimum.

Am aware of at least two services in other areas where this has happened. First Potteries Service 3 (Hanley to Crewe) and First West Yorkshire Service 358 (Ashenhurst Circular). 10 years ago both ran until gone 2300 7 days a week but since then the timings of the last journeys have got moved earlier and earlier. Although the circumstances may be different is this maybe a sign of whats to come here in Bristol?

I do think its quite shocking that certain sections of the 5 route go from the last bus being at 2200 from Broadmead to 1800. To me 1800 is too early a stoppage time. Even if an hourly service throughout the evening isn't commercially viable in First's eyes, surely they could at least fund a 2 hourly service which would be better than nothing?

Also in the case of both the Y6 and 47 passengers who need to travel all the way into Bristol will now have to endure a significantly increased journey time if they stay on those services all the way into Bristol and there is greater potential for delay. But there are points on both routes where its technically possible to swap to faster services including in some cases, Metrobuses. Is this likely to be what First (and maybe WECA) are hoping passengers will do thus a way of piloting a situation where passengers change buses en route to complete their journey?

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
Hourly 379 forming part of the Bath - Norton corridor but, as I said earlier, it was horrifically unreliable when the 178/379 were half the 15 min headway; it's why the 178 was split as it was.

Farmborough and High Littleton will still get the much pared back 179 but only Monday to Friday.

Yeah, that corner of Bath gets the 5 from Whiteway and not much else. I suspect that they're thinking of some 16 seat minibus to pootle around on the 11/12?

Absolutely right. Travel from Wells to Weston at 0930 and it's busy from Cheddar. Travel on a peak journey and it was always thinner.

The 126 seems the most grievous of cuts though.

I am aiming to have a day out next week. Whilst I've been scooting around on Arriva Northumbria or First Essex/Eastern Counties or Stagecoach South in the last year, I've not actually had a day out on the local routes.

It's been two years since I last had a trip on the 126 and the 29th August was the 30th anniversary of my first trip on it, on this Badgerline RE (Photo: Peter Horrex on flickr)

View attachment 120497
Finally round to responding. That's a good photo, and great looking bus - they don't make 'em like that any more.

I know the 126 has generally been the home of third hand buses, and loadings can be inconsistent, but that shouldn't mean it should go completely, with no alternative. I'm sure users would settle for a two hourly service over nothing. When they cut the 231, there was another operator, so they didn't lose out. I realise it's more complex than it seems, but having Wells drivers redeployed to do the 379 might not go down so well. To answer a question above, original plan was to scrap the 173, but this was saved, so they opted for the 126 instead. This decision could very easily come back to bite.