• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fish & Chip Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrail158713

Established Member
It was just under £10 for a fish supper and single smoked sausage on Friday night (also East Lothian) and that surprised me a touch! Didn't think it got up that high in these parts.
That wasn’t down the North Berwick/Dunbar end was it? They’re a bit more, upmarket shall we say, down there. :) (I’m in the Ormiston/Tranent area)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's not entirely true. The big supermarkets tend to have the same pricing nationally, but that's by choice and for their convenience rather than because they have to. There are products that differ in price - for example minimum unit pricing in Scotland means that alcohol is cheaper in England.
I don’t believe I said or suggested anything to the contrary? I was merely replying to someone who incorrectly stated that Supermarket bread costs more in London!

The article I linked to explains supermarket beer pricing in Scotland.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Tesco Metro is more expensive than a 'normal' Tesco :/

ComUtoR

Established Member
Not always. The way they tend to do it is rather than upping the prices they just omit the "value" ranges.

On a fair few of their products an additional % is added. With promotions the price is universal. When I used to work in a convenience store. We did the same. 'Ranging' is a different beast altogether.

Altrincham

Two of the North-West traditional fish and chip establishments that I can recommend for both eat-in and take-away meals are the New Chippery in Wigan town centre and the Altrincham Fish Bar opposite the market.

Totally agree with the Market chippy in Altrincham. Especially eating-in. Great portions, and the food is always piping hot.

scotrail158713

Established Member
No it was the Frying Scotsman in Musselburgh actually. Cost a bit but was marvellous.
Good to know. I’m thinking of having a chippy tomorrow so may venture down that way for a change.
Although I should add both Joes and Crollas in Tranent - my usual ones - are excellent whenever I’ve been.

alexf380

Established Member
Good to know. I’m thinking of having a chippy tomorrow so may venture down that way for a change.
Although I should add both Joes and Crollas in Tranent - my usual ones - are excellent whenever I’ve been.
I'd normally go to Rainbow Restaurant in Musselburgh. If anyone happens to be in the town centre, they are well worth a go.

najaB

Veteran Member
I don’t believe I said or suggested anything to the contrary? I was merely replying to someone who incorrectly stated that Supermarket bread costs more in London!
It was the reference to 'fixed' pricing. It certainly used to be the case with Tesco that area managers could vary from the national pricing but generally didn't other than to run promotional offers.

najaB

Veteran Member
I was in Stonehaven on Monday and a standard fish supper was £7.60. It wasn't the largest meal I've ever had, but it was quite sufficient, along with some mushy peas. I think the large would have been too much for me to finish.

Since it was The Carron Fish Bar I had to have a deep-fried Mars bar - for the first (and probably last!) time ever.

si404

Established Member
Since it was The Carron Fish Bar I had to have a deep-fried Mars bar - for the first (and probably last!) time ever.
I think Mars is just the wrong choice of chocolate bar. It's just too gooey and sweet. You want something with a bit more structural integrity when warm and something that is salty or sour to counteract the richness.

najaB

Veteran Member
I think Mars is just the wrong choice of chocolate bar. It's just too gooey and sweet. You want something with a bit more structural integrity when warm and something that is salty or sour to counteract the richness.
I did think about asking them to put salt on the Mars bar, but thought that would get me odd looks, plus the heart wouldn't thank me for it: diabetes, heart disease and hypertension in one go!

takno

Established Member
The gooey sweetness is kind of the point. It's pudding, not a main course

si404

Established Member
The problem is not that it's sweet, but that it's overpoweringly so.

We use flavours that aren't just sweet like lemon, lime, rhubarb, orange, coffee, cocoa, raspberry, etc in desserts, have 'fizzy' sweets (with sour sugar) and even salt caramel because cloying sweetness is something you can only have in small doses.

We put salt and vinegar / salt and sauce / curry sauce / whatever on chips to cut through that stodgy starchiness for similar reasons - to enhance the flavour and to be able to eat more.

TDMB_1907

When younger, the local fish & chip shop would batter and fry any chocolate bar you could buy from the shop next door. Snickers was always a popular choice, but could never bring myself to order a deep fried creme egg!

route101

Established Member

Yes , i always go for a Snickers over a Mars bar.

si404

Established Member
Yes , i always go for a Snickers over a Mars bar.
Snickers was always a popular choice, but could never bring myself to order a deep fried creme egg!
Snickers seems a fine option - the addition of peanuts gives something to break up the sweet goop (that's basically a deep fried Mars bar).

And Creme Eggs are sickly enough as it is, and they would be worse than Mars bars deep fried!

scotrail158713

Established Member
The problem is not that it's sweet, but that it's overpoweringly so.

We use flavours that aren't just sweet like lemon, lime, rhubarb, orange, coffee, cocoa, raspberry, etc in desserts, have 'fizzy' sweets (with sour sugar) and even salt caramel because cloying sweetness is something you can only have in small doses.
When younger, the local fish & chip shop would batter and fry any chocolate bar you could buy from the shop next door. Snickers was always a popular choice, but could never bring myself to order a deep fried creme egg!
Snickers seems a fine option - the addition of peanuts gives something to break up the sweet goop (that's basically a deep fried Mars bar).

And Creme Eggs are sickly enough as it is, and they would be worse than Mars bars deep fried!
All this talk of gooey, sickly sweetness is really making me hungry :)

WestCoast

Established Member
Lancashire chippies always seemed to have pie, but then I suppose it is the home of that :)

Have to say one of the things I do miss about Lancashire is the ability to get a great pie in a chippy!

I can't get to grips with chippies in (the West of) Scotland at all - often decent haddock and chips but rarely seem to have cod or mushy peas at least the ones I go to :(

route101

Established Member
Have to say one of the things I do miss about Lancashire is the ability to get a great pie in a chippy!

I can't get to grips with chippies in (the West of) Scotland at all - often decent haddock and chips but rarely seem to have cod or mushy peas at least the ones I go to :(

All about the haddock in Scotland. Don't think I've seen mushy peas in a Scottish chippy.

WestCoast

Established Member
All about the haddock in Scotland. Don't think I've seen mushy peas in a Scottish chippy.

For sure, I actually think haddock is probably a better fish but I grew up on Irish Sea cod so there's something I miss about it! I do like the fried snickers though in Scotland.

Had mushy peas from a pub in Glasgow but can't get it in a chippy.

Ianigsy

That's such a shame!

Please don't tell me you English are deprived of the utter beauty that is a Haggis supper? Can't beat one ;):D

Particularly sitting outside on the front in Oban on a summer evening!

I paid £9 and change for Special Haddock and chips from Bizzie Lizzie's in Skipton last Saturday.

najaB

Veteran Member
Thanks to this thread I've had my second fish and chips in a week (third for the year). £6.80 for a fish supper in Newport, Fife. Curiously, they gave way more fish than chips, two pieces of haddock and the box not quite full of chips. Normally, it's the other way round, in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.