• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Taking into consideration the continual moaning of managers, the continual cheating by players, the continual after match analysis of everything and anything by Shearer & Co, I would say the inconsistent standard of refereeing for ruining football is way down the pecking order.

I couldn't disagree more. Players cheating isn't ideal and also needs dealing with, but managers "moaning" and post-match analyses by pundits do not adversely affect the outcome of football games and potentially competitions, whereas dreadful, inconsistent refereeing does.

dangie

Established Member
I couldn't disagree more. Players cheating isn't ideal and also needs dealing with, but managers "moaning" and post-match analyses by pundits do not adversely affect the outcome of football games and potentially competitions, whereas dreadful, inconsistent refereeing does.
I couldn’t disagree more.
You said ‘ruining football’. If players cheating isn’t ruining football I don’t know what else is. Get the players to stop conning the referee and the referees job would be easier overnight.
We could go around in circles on this one so let’s agree to differ.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Rooney sacked after Leeds beat Birmingham 3-0 yesterday. Very satisfying. Even the Birmingham fans were joining in with chants of ‘you’re getting sacked in the morning.’ They were awful.

Norm_D_Ploom

I couldn’t disagree more.
You said ‘ruining football’. If players cheating isn’t ruining football I don’t know what else is. Get the players to stop conning the referee and the referees job would be easier overnight.
We could go around in circles on this one so let’s agree to differ.
You are correct

The Ref ( and his team ) is the only person on a football pitch who is not a cheat and probably the only person inside a ground who is not biased in one way or another.

REVUpminster

Everybody is biased, including referees, and players come with a reputation (saint or sinner). A player might breathe on another and the referee cautions them or he might think he wouldn't have done that horrendous tackle and do nothing.

Norm_D_Ploom

Everybody is biased, including referees, and players come with a reputation (saint or sinner). A player might breathe on another and the referee cautions them or he might think he wouldn't have done that horrendous tackle and do nothing.
I'm not sure I agree with you really.

Ref's just call what they see, the reputation of the player doesn't come into it.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Ref's just call what they see, the reputation of the player doesn't come into it.
I think that there is a suggestion here of unconcious, rather than concious, bias. It's something we are almost all guilty of in some way or other.

ian1944

Rooney's sacking, less than 3 months into a 3.5 year contract, illustrated yet again the economics of the madhouse. Presumably he is entitled to the balance, even if he gets another job before it runs out? Why do they get such long contracts, surely there's be no shortage of apparently-suitable applicants with a much shorter term? "Apparently", since practically nobody turns out to last the course. What seems, from a rational point of view, as a totally inexplicable system must be maintained only by the excess money sloshing around so normal commercial principles don't apply.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Rooney's sacking, less than 3 months into a 3.5 year contract, illustrated yet again the economics of the madhouse. Presumably he is entitled to the balance, even if he gets another job before it runs out? Why do they get such long contracts, surely there's be no shortage of apparently-suitable applicants with a much shorter term? "Apparently", since practically nobody turns out to last the course. What seems, from a rational point of view, as a totally inexplicable system must be maintained only by the excess money sloshing around so normal commercial principles don't apply.
Many contracts have break clauses, meaning that the whole contract period is not necessarily paid up. And if his didn't he certainly won't collect the balance of the contract value up front, it would be paid over the term of the contract and only if he is not undertaking other employment (he may be due the difference if he gains alternative employment at a lower salary).

JamesT

Established Member
It’s entirely rational. In any normal sort of job it would take rather more to provide sufficient cause for dismissal. So negotiating compensation for the risk of being suddenly fired without a comeback.
Less proven managers will often be on shorter terms, but are there really that many top quality managers out there? Though arguably Rooney hasn’t done much to show he ranks amongst that group.

JD2168

I think it might be a while until Wayne Rooney gets another job after the disastrous experience at Birmingham. He left DC United in the MLS after failing to get to the playoffs in America.

Matthew Etherington has been sacked as manager of Colchester.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Over xmas Darlo lost 2-0 to Bishops Stortford in one of the worst games I have seen snice the reign of Steve Staunton, lost 2-0 away to Scarborough and 1-0 at home to the same side.

The reign of terror of Joshua Gowling was finally brought to an end on Boxing day with Steve Watson replacing him as manager for the rest of the season. His first game will be King Lynn away this Saturday. his 90 day reign brought 3 wins in 7 games and came close to finishing us off and included a shameful 8-0 drubbing at Chorley

Relegation wise it is not quite last orders in the last chance salon but there is only time for a swift half before the bell rings.

75A

Established Member
Tonights Palace / Everton F.A.Cup tie ended 0 - 0 and will be replayed.
About as bad as the West Ham / Brighton game on Tuesday.
VAR did it's usual stuff, got the Ref to look at the monitor after an Everton player tackled an opponent. This then resulted in a questionable red card which really upset the Toffees fans.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Marine 1 ... Hyde United 4

My first Hyde report since being admitted to hospital on 15th December from which I was discharged today. Hyde have beaten league leaders Radcliffe and drawn three matches against top six sides in that period.

Today's away match at a similar high placed team saw Hyde take their chances early on and were 3-0 up at half time. Both sides scored one goal in the second half and this result sees Hyde move into fourth place in the league.

Harvester

Established Member
A one sided 3-0 Newcastle win at Sunderland turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax, after all the pre-match hype! It takes the pressure off Eddie Howe….for now.

SteveM70

Established Member
Yes, I was expecting much more from Sunderland, given the rivalry and them being at home. There weren't even any red cards!

Sunlun kids like rabbits in the headlights.

Clarke and Jobe invisible, Dan Neil and Pritchard probably the best of a poor bunch