• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

dangie

Established Member
The German FA (the DFB) have made a rather controversial decision to replace Adidas with Nike from 2027-2034 as Nike made a better financial offer. Germany has been supplied by Adidas for 70 years.
I’ve often thought that the Adidas boots the Germans wore had some magical underhand property built into them. They always seemed to kick the ball harder than anyone else :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Indeed, and amidst all the current talk of financial fair play, it should be noted that this is a concept which just doesn't exist in the National League. For an organisation that can be quite draconian in how it deals with clubs going into administration (or declaring it as a possibility - see Torquay United) and will punish those clubs who do not pay their taxes, this seems a strange anomaly.

Absolutely, and as a Halifax Town fan it drives me nuts. We have a chairman who runs the club on a sustainable basis, and won't incur huge losses, but its like fighting with one hand tied behind your back compared to the likes of Chesterfield, or Wrexham and Notts County before them.

There was an example about 10 years ago when Fylde's owner used one of his other companies as their shirt sponsor. For £450,000 a season, in the sixth division. Utterly absurd, but a legal way of reducing his other company's corporation tax liability whilst pumping money into his plaything

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There was an example about 10 years ago when Fylde's owner used one of his other companies as their shirt sponsor. For £450,000 a season, in the sixth division. Utterly absurd, but a legal way of reducing his other company's corporation tax liability whilst pumping money into his plaything
Anyone on here remember the saga of Colne Dynamoes FC that led to its final demise in 1990? I am sure that some of its main squad players were on a higher wage structure than players in the lower divisions of the Football League.

SteveM70

Established Member
Anyone on here remember the saga of Colne Dynamoes FC that led to its final demise in 1990? I am sure that some of its main squad players were on a higher wage structure than players in the lower divisions of the Football League.

Yeah, they were. It happens at all levels from time to time, and players drop down multiple leagues to fill their pockets. Sorry, I mean support this great project. Look at the Wrexham squad this season, for example.

Wigan bought their way up to the premier league, and then realised that once they got there other clubs had much deeper pockets, which prompted their owner Dave "did you know I played in the FA cup final" Whelan to experience a moment of rank hypocrisy blinding realisation and call for a salary cap

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Fairly sure we previously discussed the demise of the Colne Dynamoes, this maybe some three years ago.

Yes, here we go. Post #27,122 (et seq.) refers.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Rushall Olympic 3 v Darlo 2 - we weren't on it defensively and have undone a lot of our recent good work.

We seemed to be pulling off the great escape and were like Charles Bronson sailing down the river to freedom. Instead, I fear we are Richard Atenborough and have fallen for the oldest trick in the book at the final checkpoint!

A win would have put us 8 points clear of the drop zone. Instead we are now 2 above Rushall who have a game in hand ( against whipping boys Bishop Stortford. ) A real backward step. Peak Darlo!

SteveM70

Established Member
FC Halifax Town P-P Ebbsfleet

The Shay was wrecked after rugby last Sunday and a football match on Wednesday so a pitch inspection was called for 11am, which resulted in a decision to have a second pitch inspection at 1:30 which was itself delayed as the referee was caught in traffic. The game was postponed at 2:11 so 49 minutes before kickoff.

Lots of seriously hacked off Town fans, and both the travelling Ebbsfleet fans were upset

The really irritating thing is that the club is being pilloried for:

(a) the state of the pitch, when its owned by Calderdale and maintained (ha ha) by them, with most of the damage done by the egg chasers

(b) the late decision, when that's totally down to the referee

Of course the rugby lot played on it again yesterday to really, really churn it up

We now have 4 home games remaining, one of which hasn't yet been scheduled, and only one remaining free midweek. The forecast for this week is poor too, and Easter Monday against York is already in doubt. We're likely to end up either playing Saturday / Tuesday / Thursday / Saturday or moving a home game somewhere else - something we've done in the past at Rochdale and Droylesden

Norm_D_Ploom

FC Halifax Town P-P Ebbsfleet

The Shay was wrecked after rugby last Sunday and a football match on Wednesday so a pitch inspection was called for 11am, which resulted in a decision to have a second pitch inspection at 1:30 which was itself delayed as the referee was caught in traffic. The game was postponed at 2:11 so 49 minutes before kickoff.

Lots of seriously hacked off Town fans, and both the travelling Ebbsfleet fans were upset

The really irritating thing is that the club is being pilloried for:

(a) the state of the pitch, when its owned by Calderdale and maintained (ha ha) by them, with most of the damage done by the egg chasers

(b) the late decision, when that's totally down to the referee

Of course the rugby lot played on it again yesterday to really, really churn it up

We now have 4 home games remaining, one of which hasn't yet been scheduled, and only one remaining free midweek. The forecast for this week is poor too, and Easter Monday against York is already in doubt. We're likely to end up either playing Saturday / Tuesday / Thursday / Saturday or moving a home game somewhere else - something we've done in the past at Rochdale and Droylesden

B.I.B

There was never any danger of that not happening was there?

It's just the consequence of what you can play football on and what you can play rugby on.

FC might just be able to survive in The Shay on their own, but DB will need to stop running it like a part time plaything.

I don't think the RL could manage on their own so they have to work between themselves and find a solution.

Not sure what it is though!

SteveM70

Established Member
Absolutely, can't blame the rugby for playing as the pitch was in good enough condition for them.

Neither club can afford to be sole tenant of the Shay, and the council are looking at options to dispose of it, so the option of fixing the awful drainage and putting in a pitch better able to cope isn't going to happen either

Loppylugs

What about Rushden & Diamonds? Built up by Max Griggs of Doc Marten boots fame. A lovely stadium sadly demolished in 2017.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Almost 100 years on from the original club's one and only Scottish Cup final success in April 1924 (2-0 win vs Hibernian FC).

P.S. It's Airdrieonians as they come from... Airdrie.

Airdrieonians_FC_logo.png

75A

Established Member
If you like International football you're going to be seriously spoilt tonight.
I've got;
Scotland v Northern Ireland on BBC 2, BBC 3, BBC Scotland & Viaplay 1
England V Belgium on Channel 4
Wales V Poland on S4C & Viaplay 2

1D54

England v Belgium tonight. Two teams that surely have no reason whatsoever for not playing in the normal home shirts apart from making more money, and both are dreadful!

75A

Established Member
Think I chose the right game with my home side winning 1-0 @ Hampden Park. Now changed channels to see the extra time in the Wales / Poland game, still 0-0 @ present, could go to penalties.

Darandio

Established Member
Think I chose the right game with my home side winning 1-0 @ Hampden Park. Now changed channels to see the extra time in the Wales / Poland game, still 0-0 @ present, could go to penalties.

Wales game has been pretty decent.

JD2168

Results from European Qualifying played tonight:
Georgia 0 Greece 0, Georgia win 4-2 on penalties.
Ukraine 2 Iceland 1.
Wales 0 Poland 0, Poland win 5-4 on Penalties after Dan James had his penalty saved.

England drew 2-2 with Belgium in a friendly played at Wembley.
Scotland lost 1-0 to Northern Ireland in a friendly played at Hampden Park.

Howardh

Established Member
England v Belgium tonight. Two teams that surely have no reason whatsoever for not playing in the normal home shirts apart from making more money, and both are dreadful!
I'm not actually sure how one could describe England's, it's a colour that's been left when every other colour has been taken away.
Whoever came up with this should be tried for treason!
Scotland's main kit of greyish blue
with hi-viz yellow is little better. Think I'll watch the tournament in black and white!

REVUpminster

I'm not actually sure how one could describe England's, it's a colour that's been left when every other colour has been taken away.
with hi-viz yellow is little better. Think I'll watch the tournament in black and white!
Wasn't the grey colour to represent Alzheimer's. Fog of the brain. Maybe shirt money is going to the Alzheimer's Society.

Howardh

Established Member
Wasn't the grey colour to represent Alzheimer's. Fog of the brain. Maybe shirt money is going to the Alzheimer's Society.
I don't think so. The removal of the names was the Society input, we're probably stuck with the shirt?

Bantamzen

Established Member
The only description I could come up with was battleship grey, absolutely awful! Saying that Belgium's wasn't that much better, reminded me of something Scunthorpe United would have worn in the 80's. I get the feeling that Euro 24 is going to be a you-know-what show for kits.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Having been playing bridge on Tuesday night, I decided to avoid finding out the score so I could watch the highlights of Wales v Poland on BBC Wales with uncertainty as to the outcome. However the tension was completely ruined by the continuity annoucer who said "And now for the highlights after a long, long night at the Cardiff City stadium". So extra time and probably penalties then. And then in a very deep & sombre voice he added "No spoilers if you don't know the score". So Wales lost.

Then, to add insult to injury, the only substitution shown in the highlights was Dan James. As any regular MOTD viewer knows, substitutes are only shown if they are subsequently involved in a major incident. So when James comes up to take the 10th penalty, we all knew what was going to happen.

I tried to complain to the BBC but my complaint got lost as I didn't verify my email in time. I couldn't be bothered typing my details in again.