• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SS4

Established Member
Come on ref, blow that whistle for full time
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yesss! Three points at St O'Neill's home ground too :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Aww, aren't Chelsea top any more?

:lol::lol::lol:

Elsewhere, great results for 'Boro, Derby and Millwall in the Championship, and for Chelmsford, Chesterfield and Harrogate in the FA Cup. And some bunch of half-wits in dark blue managed to win 3-0 as well. A decent result for Everton too considering how we hate playing at the Cottage.

I would so love to see Chelmsford beat Southend away in Round 2 :p
Ian Holloway has been confirmed as the new manager of Crystal Palace.

Here is an interesting means of "celebrating" that fact from the BBC :p

VTPreston_Tez

Preston winning 3-0 against Yeovil. Amoo's first goal for the club, and an absolutely amazing ball boy winding up Yeovil's goalkeeper to hell and back. Brilliant game.

Very fortunate to get out of Brighton with a point last night. Three penalties in the game, all fairly clear i'd say with Brighton scoring one and missing one and Diouf scoring his. Michael Brown equalised for Leeds after CMS had restored Brighton's lead in the 2nd half although I believe that the tv guys were saying it was Becchio's goal. It was woeful stuff from Leeds to be honest with Tonge, Austin and Peltier looking so far off the pace it was embarrasing.

It looks very much like the title is heading to Old Trafford after Man City and Chelsea both look poor with draws.

The good old refs were back to help the 'red devils' with a dodgy penalty and a truly astonishing decision not to send off Tom Cleverley for two pretty awful challenges then just minutes later Jack Wilshire sees red for the self and same tackles. Truly incredible decisions. It's an every PL game occurance now. When will it end? I was amazed to find out that Jonny Evans hasn't even been booked once this season which is just amazing given the horrific lunge on Shelvey and the elbow on the Newcastle lad. I suppose it's no surprise that Man Utd are one of the few clubs not to have had a player sent off this season. Paul Scholes should have been off at least twice already but that isn't allowed. Anyway, onwards.

CC 72100

Established Member
...The good old refs were back to help the 'red devils' with a dodgy penalty and....

Dodgy penalty? Have you actually seen it? Gained a clear advantage from making the handball (changed direction of the ball to get it out the box)so pen everyday of the week, defenders know the risks of having their hands up. And if anyone says that Wilshere's sending off changed the game then they're just wrong - Arsenal created pretty much nothing, it was honestly like watching United play a mediocre team at times, Arsenal looked out of ideas completely.

Good old refs back to help United? Not more of this rubbish... :roll:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
And in news from West Glasgow, we demolished Alloa 7-0 today in the SFA Cup. I await the draw for the next round with nervous optimism. Not Celtic please!
For anyone wondering, the (English) FA Cup Second Round draw is tomorrow at 1440, live on ITV1 after their coverage of Braintree Town v Tranmere Rovers; and the SFA Cup Fourth Round draw (where SPL and the rest of the SD1 teams join) is at 1430 on Monday, live on Sky Sports News.

Very fortunate to get out of Brighton with a point last night. Three penalties in the game, all fairly clear i'd say with Brighton scoring one and missing one and Diouf scoring his. Michael Brown equalised for Leeds after CMS had restored Brighton's lead in the 2nd half although I believe that the tv guys were saying it was Becchio's goal. It was woeful stuff from Leeds to be honest with Tonge, Austin and Peltier looking so far off the pace it was embarraing.

Agreed Banle wonderer, we were lucky as we were against Barnsley, went to ER last week and the only good thing about that game was the banter with the brum fans, we need the takeover to go through sooner rather than later and at least £2m for Warnock to spend, although when Ross Mccormack is fit it will be like having a new player

ACE1888

Plymouth Argyle 'Live on ESPN' from 4pm today v Dorchester Town, as it stands Exeter City, Torquay United, Yeovil Town are all out of the Cup, so 'no pressure' on Argyle ;)

atomicdanny

Good old refs back to help United? Not more of this rubbish... :roll:

That is what it is though, people who haven't seen the match and hear that Manchester United have scored a goal, and automatically say its offside (even if it isn't - I heard this one while at Craven Cottage today someone said "Man Utd scored 2 offside goals"), if there was a penalty its always dodgy! (no matter if it wasn't) or if someone has been sent off for the other team, that player never deserved a card. If Man Utd get a free kick, he is never fouled but that player has always dived!

If Manchester United win, its always that they've bribed the referee and the other team out played them but were cheated. Although (e.g.) John Terry could punch say Rooney in the face and almost everyone would still say Rooney Dived (ps that was an Example with random players)

To be honest here its getting old :roll:, clearly people who haven't seen the game comment on the match thinking that they know it all, although what people don't get is that referees can't see everything we see on the tv! (or sometimes from the angle where you are in the crowd - I didn't see any of the goals yesterday because all of the supporters to the right of me all stood up (I couldn't see the goal post to the right of me unless they sat down)

Oswyntail

Established Member
That is what it is though, people who haven't seen the match and hear that Manchester United have scored a goal, and automatically say its offside ....
What interests me is WHY Manchester United have generated this reaction. One may claim it is jealousy for their recent success, but I recall much the same being said in 1974, when they were losing. I suspect it is in part a reaction to the intensive use of PR, that has since the war been more prevalent at OT than most clubs. Just think of the myth of the Busby Babes, Duncan Edwards, the Best era, the Golden Generation - how many other clubs have so many precious, unchallengeable images? Yet, until the Premiership really skewed things, they were one of a largish bunch of successful teams. When you spend so much time and effort making people love you, you have to accept that you will have equal numbers hating you.

SS4

Established Member
In today's FA cup games

Braintree v Tranmere has been postponed due to a "waterlooged [sic] pitch"
Ditto for Gloucester v Leyton Orient

Johnny English is on ITV now

gnolife

Established Member
In today's FA cup games

Braintree v Tranmere has been postponed due to a "waterlooged [sic] pitch"
Ditto for Gloucester v Leyton Orient

Johnny English is on ITV now
Thankfully, Burton Albion vs Altrincham is still on - I'm sat in a pub near the ground waiting for the turnstile to open

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just think of the myth of the Busby Babes, Duncan Edwards, the Best era, the Golden Generation - how many other clubs have so many precious, unchallengeable images?

I was fortunate to have seen Duncan Edwards play from his youth team days and in the reserves, finally in the first team. I have heard former England international players who played with him for England and against him for their own club sides speak of him as the outstanding young player of his generation.

As for as I am concerned, there is no myth surrounding Duncan Edwards. He was an outstanding young player of his generation and would have made an excellent captain of both club and country in the future years, had not his death occurred at the age of only 21, when he had already played over 150 games for his club and 18 full international matches for England.

Is there anyone else of my generation who actually saw Duncan Edwards play and would like to respond to this.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
FA Second Round Proper draw (as drawn; ties to be played 1 / 2 December) - non-league teams shown in bold:

Preston North End v Gillingham
Bury v Southend United
Sheffield United v Port Vale
Carlisle United v AFC Bournemouth
Crewe Alexandra v Burton Albion or Altrincham
Northampton Town or Bradford City v Brentford
Luton Town or Nuneaton Town v Dorchester Town or Plymouth Argyle
Alfreton Town v Gloucester City or Leyton Orient
Oldham Athletic v Doncaster Rovers
Braintree Town or Tranmere Rovers v Chesterfield
Rotherham United v Notts County
Cheltenham Town v Hereford United
Guiseley or Barrow v Macclesfield Town
Accrington Stanley v Oxford United
Lincoln City or Walsall v Mansfield Town or Slough Town
Harrogate Town v Hastings United
Coventry City v Morecambe or Rochdale
Cambridge City or MK Dons v York City or AFC Wimbledon
Crawley Town v Chelmsford City
Fleetwood Town v Aldershot Town

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
FA Second Round Proper draw (as drawn; ties to be played 1 / 2 December):

Luton Town or Nuneaton Town v Dorchester Town or Plymouth Argyle
Alfreton Town v Gloucester City or Leyton Orient
Guiseley or Barrow v Macclesfield Town
Lincoln City or Walsall v Mansfield Town or Slough Town
Harrogate Town v Hastings United

Two definite non-League teams, and three likely non-League teams, through to Round 3. OK, so it might not be Chasetown vs Cardiff, but there's still a lot of potential for some huge matches come January!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Two definite non-League teams, and three likely non-League teams, through to Round 3. OK, so it might not be Chasetown vs Cardiff, but there's still a lot of potential for some huge matches come January!

Never mind that, there's a very real chance of MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon there!

ACE1888

Dundee United 2-2 Celtic
Threw away a two goal lead with sloppy defending and a cracker of an own goal, but move back to the top of the SPL tonight
Plymouth down to 10 men after 8 minutes at Dorchester, 0-0 HT...

Ivo

Established Member
I grow tired of the term "giant-killing". These days, it is used to reference any team from a lower division defeating a team from a higher division (and sometimes even in the same division); Sky Sports News are particularly guilty of this.

Would you call Leeds winning over Southampton a giant-killing? Of course not.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I grow tired of the term "giant-killing". These days, it is used to reference any team from a lower division defeating a team from a higher division (and sometimes even in the same division); Sky Sports News are particularly guilty of this.

Would you call Leeds winning over Southampton a giant-killing? Of course not.

I would say that Dorchester Town defeating Plymouth Argyle would fall into that category, as Dorchester Town are a non-league side. That particular definition has been with me since I first started watching football in the mid-1950's, so I do claim some rather longer experience of using such football-related terminology, but I would only ever use the term "giant-killing" when a non-league side was involved and not when matches between any teams from the senior level of British football. are involved. I trust that this clarifies matters.

Ivo

Established Member
Most definitely Paul.

There are some instances of matches involving exlcusively League teams where the term "giant-killing" is warranted - York City at Old Trafford anyone? - but the modern media take the term way too far.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Most definitely Paul.

There are some instances of matches involving exclusively League teams where the term "giant-killing" is warranted - York City at Old Trafford anyone? - but the modern media take the term way too far.

A "giant-killing" result from 1959 still remains in my memory, as Worcester City who were then in what was called the Southern League, North-West section were drawn at home to Liverpool and there were somewhat "ribald" comments in the Liverpool Echo about "declaring when we've scored 20" from a couple of dyed-in-the-wool Liverpool supporters.

Final score...Worcester City 2...Liverpool 1....<(<(<(

A point of interest. The manager of Liverpool was sacked and a certain Bill Shankly moved up the managerial placements at Liverpool.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Scottish Cup Fourth Round draw (ties to be played 1 / 2 December in order to allow for winter break; non-league teams in bold):

Aberdeen v Motherwell
Partick Thistle v Dunfermline Athletic
Kilmarnock v Queen of the South
Hibernian v Hearts
Airdrie United or Raith Rovers v Deveronvale
Turriff United v Albion Rovers or Morton
Livingston v Dundee
Rangers v Elgin City
Forfar Athletic or Nairn County v Ayr United
Ross County v Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Celtic v Inverurie Locoworks or Arbroath
Dumbarton v Hamilton Academical
Cowdenbeath v St Johnstone
Stranraer or Queen's Park v Dundee United
Stenhousemuir or Berwick Rangers v Falkirk
St Mirren v Brechin City or Bonnyrigg Rose

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Scottish Cup Fourth Round draw (ties to be played 1 / 2 December in order to allow for winter break)

Amazing to see that these former stalwarts of the Highland League (yet now members of the Premier League) are drawn together in the cup draw. It has the makings of a very good match, with it being held at Victoria Park.

Butts

Veteran Member
Scottish Cup Fourth Round draw (ties to be played 1 / 2 December in order to allow for winter break; non-league teams in bold):

Aberdeen v Motherwell
Partick Thistle v Dunfermline Athletic
Kilmarnock v Queen of the South
Hibernian v Hearts
Airdrie United or Raith Rovers v Deveronvale
Turriff United v Albion Rovers or Morton
Livingston v Dundee
Rangers v Elgin City
Forfar Athletic or Nairn County v Ayr United
Celtic v Inverurie Locoworks or Arbroath
Dumbarton v Hamilton Academical
Cowdenbeath v St Johnstone
Stranraer or Queen's Park v Dundee United
Stenhousemuir or Berwick Rangers v Falkirk
St Mirren v Brechin City or Bonnyrigg Rose

So you've got a fairly cushy draw against Elgin City, but the tie of the round is a repeat of this years final....

Hibernian v Hearts :idea:

Lets hope the score is the same !!!