• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Question for Matt: Do you think in Blackburn would be bothered if a second successive relegation came about, or would they consider it a chance to rebuild? What is your opinion on this?

Yes, the current crop of players they have should be well capable of the top 10, perhaps not play-offs but certainly above half-way. Of course they were there until six weeks ago!

Lol, talk about Fergie time. 70 seconds over the alloted time to try and get Man Utd a goal.

Didn't work though, Carrick didn't deserve to be on the losing side to be fair.

Same ref that blew his whistle while Man City were in the 18 yard box in the first half. Classic.

atomicdanny

Lol, talk about Fergie time. 70 seconds over the alloted time to try and get Man Utd a goal.

no that was for the Free Kick and the substitution that City took ages on! that gets added onto you know, its not just 4 minutes it includes all the free kicks substitutions in injury time too... (which then get added on the end)

Phil6219

I'll take that result thank you very much :)

It's not likely to win us the league but at least we beat the filth and to be honest that's all that matters on that front, pride. Now if we could win the FA Cup again that would be swell :D

Phil 8-)

JoeH

Didn't work though, Carrick didn't deserve to be on the losing side to be fair.

Same ref that blew his whistle while Man City were in the 18 yard box in the first half. Classic.

There were two substitutions and several stops for free kicks. By the letter of the law the referee actually blew a little too early. No complaints about a few seconds from me though.

If there was a complaint to be made about the officials perhaps the first goal being given (it was offside)?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Police are launching a search this evening for a Mr. R van Persie in the Greater Manchester area. He was last seen around January.

I'll take that result thank you very much :)

It's not likely to win us the league but at least we beat the filth and to be honest that's all that matters on that front, pride. Now if we could win the FA Cup again that would be swell :D

Phil 8-)

Fergie just been on sky blaming the linesman for the defeat lol. He didn't mention Rooneys two footed tackle strangely.

Although on reflection he may have a point about the Milner goal. It doesn't make much difference though. Man Utd will win the title and they deserve it. its up to Manchester city and the rest to make next season more of a competition.

Butts

Veteran Member
I wonder why such a meaningless match as the Manchester derby appears to have caused so much comment upon this thread from supporters of clubs exterior to these two teams ?

Because they both attract envy due to their success - if RailUK Forums had existed 25years ago Liverpool would have been the target.

Oldham supporters are naturally excluded from this habit as everyone knows they are insane by definition :p

Butts

Veteran Member
Because there is nuff all else to talk about. :)

Suprised the spectre of ID Cards for Football Fans has not reared it's ugly head in relation to Mrs T - mind you most contributors are probably to young to remember the idea :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
One thing I found sickeningly ironic yesterday were all the Hillsborough campaigners going 'Glad the old b*tch is dead; JFT96'... :roll:

Ivo

Established Member
Suprised the spectre of ID Cards for Football Fans has not reared it's ugly head in relation to Mrs T - mind you most contributors are probably to young to remember the idea :lol:

Know of the scheme; that's about as far as it goes. Oh the "joys" of being born barely two weeks before Hillsborough :(

One thing I found sickeningly ironic yesterday were all the Hillsborough campaigners going 'Glad the old b*tch is dead; JFT96'... :roll:

I almost wish you hadn't shared that with us. Your description "sickening" is kind.

Ivo

Established Member
I came across this site about a week or so ago, which has plenty of interesting data.

It works in the same way as the Unofficial World Championship, spawned by Scotland's victory over World Champions England (England? Champions? What? :lol:) in 1967, only for clubs in the English League, and goes all the way back to Preston's first ever defeat in the League in 1889, with Preston of course being the basis as they went the first season undefeated.

There are all kinds of interesting scenarios involved, including the occasional sojourn into what is now the Championship when a relegated club claims the title just before the end of the season in which they suffer the drop. An example of this is that of Middlesbrough in 1993, who claimed it in their penultimate match of 1992-93 against Sheffield Wednesday and held Norwich to a draw on the last day. Amazingly enough, the turn of events that season that even the not-so-mighty Southend held the title of Unofficial Champions of England at one point! :lol: Also, in spite of winning the title in 2003-04 without losing a single game, Arsenal did not hold the title once, having drawn at Bolton in their one attempt at claiming the title.

One thing to try is to find the date you were born and determine who would have been Champions on the day. For example, the Unofficial Champions on my birthday would have been Wimbledon (:shock:), having claimed it four days earlier against top flight debutants Millwall, while my Tottenham-loving aunt would be disappointed to learn that Tottenham had the chance to claim the title three days before she was born but could only manage a draw at Burnley. Meanwhile, at the start of 1900 the title would have been held by Notts County, and at the start of 2000 the title would have been held by Man U; the current holders meanwhile are Man City after their victory at Old Trafford a few hours ago (not yet updated).

Oh, and Everton are all-time Champions, with 85 wins :D

Full credit to Gilmore Davidson of Australia for compiling this data.

Clip

Established Member
Well im pretty chuffed with our late goal on sunday against Fulham - was just what was needed and we should really have had a couple more I reckon. Got back at stupid oclock monday morning from the game and still rough now.

But should be good for us in the run up to 2 massive games both thursday and Sunday. Cant wait.

Butts

Veteran Member
I came across this site about a week or so ago, which has plenty of interesting data.

It works in the same way as the Unofficial World Championship, spawned by Scotland's victory over World Champions England (England? Champions? What? :lol:) in 1967, only for clubs in the English League, and goes all the way back to Preston's first ever defeat in the League in 1889, with Preston of course being the basis as they went the first season undefeated.

There are all kinds of interesting scenarios involved, including the occasional sojourn into what is now the Championship when a relegated club claims the title just before the end of the season in which they suffer the drop. An example of this is that of Middlesbrough in 1993, who claimed it in their penultimate match of 1992-93 against Sheffield Wednesday and held Norwich to a draw on the last day. Amazingly enough, the turn of events that season that even the not-so-mighty Southend held the title of Unofficial Champions of England at one point! :lol: Also, in spite of winning the title in 2003-04 without losing a single game, Arsenal did not hold the title once, having drawn at Bolton in their one attempt at claiming the title.

One thing to try is to find the date you were born and determine who would have been Champions on the day. For example, the Unofficial Champions on my birthday would have been Wimbledon (:shock:), having claimed it four days earlier against top flight debutants Millwall, while my Tottenham-loving aunt would be disappointed to learn that Tottenham had the chance to claim the title three days before she was born but could only manage a draw at Burnley. Meanwhile, at the start of 1900 the title would have been held by Notts County, and at the start of 2000 the title would have been held by Man U; the current holders meanwhile are Man City after their victory at Old Trafford a few hours ago (not yet updated).

Oh, and Everton are all-time Champions, with 85 wins :D

Full credit to Gilmore Davidson of Australia for compiling this data.

The most amazing statistic is that Scotland are The Unofficial World Champions of all Time -closely followed by England :o

This is as a result of all the games both countries played long before The World Cup was thought of !!!

I wonder why such a meaningless match as the Manchester derby appears to have caused so much comment upon this thread from supporters of clubs exterior to these two teams ?

I apologise for discussing a football match on the football thread Paul.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder what it will take for them finally to have closure.

thats the big question. part of me thinks they should let it go now but then I imagine what I would feel like in that situation and I'm sure I'd want answers and the people responsible brought to justice.

it remains a highly sensitive subject for many

D841 Roebuck

Established Member

I remember all right. And still detest Luton Town as a result.

An interesting example of Tory hypocrisy at the time, with David Evans (con, Welwyn and Hatfield), Chairman of Luton Town, being a leading proponent of id cards, whilst John Carlisle (con, Luton) was simultaneously blethering about "keeping politics out of sport" - in relation to rebel tours of South Africa. Can't have it both ways...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I apologise for discussing a football match on the football thread Paul.

There are postings containing thoughtful discussions on football on the "Football" thread and there are other postings on the same thread that have undertones of other personal feelings that seem to run through them when a certain football team is concerned.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I'm on my way to Millwall v Sheffield Wednesday as I type. A win will take us above Leeds, 6 points this week and we could be top half which wouldn't be bad. A tough match this evening however and my luck with long distance away games is mixed, 3 defeats and a win in a friendly at Kilmarnock! Currently enjoying the joys of EMT First Class in my blue and white shirt! I hope Millwall have their eye on Wembley as it would give us a good chance, with JJ on form I'm hoping he scores another rocket of a goal as he did v Millwall back in August. This will be one to watch, if we lose this game in hand it could be very damaging, if we win then were 6 points away from the bottom three. Every match is a cup final now in this notoriously tricky league but I really do hope we do the business this evening.

I'm on my way to Millwall v Sheffield Wednesday as I type. A win will take us above Leeds, 6 points this week and we could be top half which wouldn't be bad. A tough match this evening however and my luck with long distance away games is mixed, 3 defeats and a win in a friendly at Kilmarnock! Currently enjoying the joys of EMT First Class in my blue and white shirt! I hope Millwall have their eye on Wembley as it would give us a good chance, with JJ on form I'm hoping he scores another rocket of a goal as he did v Millwall back in August. This will be one to watch, if we lose this game in hand it could be very damaging, if we win then were 6 points away from the bottom three. Every match is a cup final now in this notoriously tricky league but I really do hope we do the business this evening.

Millwall MUST have an eye Wembley which would give you a bit of an advantage tonight. Are you going on Saturday? A nice early 1230 kick off.

If Wednesday win tonight they'll have all the momentum going into Saturday, plus like you say every game is a cup final now. I honestly believe we are doomed, I think Wednesday will beat us on saturday and I don't see us picking up a single point in the remaining games.

League One here we come!

Ivo

Established Member
It has been announced that silence periods will not be held in relation to the passing of Lady T. As much as it pains me to say as much, being a (young-ish) supporter of hers, this is probably a good decision - if only because of the number of people who would ruin such a thing :(

Ivo very interesting site, turns out Everton were champions when I was born

Good :lol:

League One here we come!

Nah, you'll be OK. I'm really not convinced that Warnock leaving was a good thing, but there are enough teams below you who are worse and/or couldn't care about going down for it to not be a serious threat.

I've just run a predictor on the BBC site and it suggests you'll be safe with two games to spare.

But by far the most interesting game on the last day is Forest v Leicester. My prediction states that Forest enter the day with a three point advantage - but a considerably worse goal difference! And with the two teams in 6th and 7th, things would be get rather hot...

You will notice that I have left this game blank. Every other last day game has been accounted for, and as such Bolton are shown in 7th instead. I have done this to illustrate the point; my prediciton as things stand would be for a 2-2 draw which would leave Leicester on 67 (and behind Bolton) and Forest on 70.

We also have a rival match in the Play Offs between Palace and Brighton, Bristol City going down before the last game, six teams finishing on the same number of points - and two teams from last season's Prem going down again.

Attachments

• 2012-13 CH Final Table.png
    2012-13 CH Final Table.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 13

Oswyntail

Established Member
I remember all right. And still detest Luton Town as a result....
This is something that always puzzles me about football. Why is it so full of "detest", "hate", "scum"? What is wrong with simply supporting your team? [IIRC, the Luton/Milwall "riot" was a particularly vicious one, but one of many that had brought the reputation of football about as low as it could possibly get. ID cards were one attempt to start addressing this, but, like so many ideas around football, were dismissed as "unworkable" in some bizarre way. Football was refusing to admit there was a problem, which is why a government-sponsored solution was looked for.]