• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Ivo

Established Member
Meanwhile, the Premier League has formally adopted Hawk-Eye for next season.

From the BBC...

The Premier League has voted to introduce goal-line technology from the 2013-14 season.

British-based Hawk-Eye has been awarded the contract to provide the system.

Hawk-Eye uses seven cameras per goal to detect the ball and claims its system is "millimetre accurate, ensuring no broadcast replays could disprove the decision".

The Football Association will install a system at Wembley Stadium in time for the August's Community Shield.

Top-flight clubs voted to adopt the system during a meeting of the 20 Premier League chairmen on Thursday.

Hawk-Eye is known for providing tennis and cricket with ball-tracking technology. Its football system notifies the referee if the ball has crossed the goal line via a vibration and optical signal sent to the officials' watches within one second.

Once work is under way, installation of the system for the 17 Premier League clubs who avoid relegation and the three teams promoted from the Football League is expected to take up to six weeks to complete.

I have not bothered to include the rest of the article - because it goes on about Lampard's 2010 ghost goal and that Ukraine ghost goal that was offside anyway. Both of which are etremely tedious and long-dead now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
This goal-line technology is a very good move but when it comes in for the football league a lot of the small clubs are going to have a struggle paying for it.

Considering the F.A. are awash with money if they want it they should be paying for it.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Bet it doesn't stop the arguing, though. I can't see it being definitive about the last mm of the ball crossing the line in a crowded area,

It isn't definitive anyway as the ref will still decide what's a goal and what isn't.
If the ref gets the signal in his earpiece that it's a goal but he's right on the spot and thinks it isn't he will still not give it.
It's just a useful aid nothing else.

SS4

Established Member
Will refs be able to stop the game, review the evidence and give an informed decision though? If not, the system is all but useless unless I'm missing something

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It isn't definitive anyway as the ref will still decide what's a goal and what isn't.
If the ref gets the signal in his earpiece that it's a goal but he's right on the spot and thinks it isn't he will still not give it.
It's just a useful aid nothing else.

That seems to be a difference to what applies in both cricket and in the rugby codes, when the match official requests an adjudication by the official concerned with decision-making, which is then accepted by the match official who made the request.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Will refs be able to stop the game, review the evidence and give an informed decision though? If not, the system is all but useless unless I'm missing something

This system is supposed to give the ref a goal decision "within one second" to the referee's watch. I expect it to be similar in operation to the Hawkeye systems used in Tennis and Cricket which can give decisions in the same amount of time but it is more fun to have the graphical picture appear during the breaks in play for those sports

Eng274

And is a chant of "You were born in Glasgow" offensively racist or cheerily supportive?

As an Edinburger, I'd be offended if someone chanted that at me. :-x
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Absolutely.

Although you wouldn't know it at some grounds. I see no difference between sectarianism and racism. Hatred of a group of people for there skin colour, nationality, religion or politics it's all the same to me.

I follow Celtic and I go to Parkhead whenever I can. Some of the singing at Parkhead and moreso in the Celtic support at away games is embarrassing and I support most of the recent action taken by the club and Strathclyde Police. Those people who sing these songs don't see the damage they are doing to our clubs reputation and it is only time before UEFA takes more severe action. I fully believe we should be allowed to celebrate our Irish heritage, but songs supporting the IRA are despicable.

Sectarianism isn't only an old firm problem. Other clubs, notably Hearts, but also Dundee, Hibs and Aberdeen have their own element of sectarian supporters.

While every club has its bampots, Hibs are far less prominent with the sectarian nonsense than others nowadays. Having observed the various goings on at at Tynecastle (sex offenders) The Ibrox (going bust, playing the oldco/newco card when it suits them) and Celtc Park (the anti remembrance day banners) I'm glad the vast majority of the fans do not mix sectarianism with football at Easter Road.

Our main problem is fans giving pelters to our own players :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oldham have been giving go ahead to build new north Stand at Boundary Park which should be finish for 2014/15 season. :D

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130410-planningyes-765119.aspx

Excellent news. Let us hope and pray that the team performs well enough to ensure that League 1 will still be the league they play in when this new stand is opened.

My wife and I were passing Edgeley Park recently which once saw Stockport County play matches at such a level and such has been their decline, if matters do not improve at once, they will be playing their home matches in one of the biggest grounds in the Conference North...<(

Liam

Established Member
(the anti remembrance day banners)

Is another thing which is an embarrasment to the club, these supporters clearly don't 'know their history'. Huge numbers of Celtic players, staff and supporters fought and died during the two World Wars. Many supporters still serve in the British armed forces with pride and distinction.

You might disagree, but Hibs are probably best run club in the SPL. Owner doesn't really care for football, but sees the club as an integral part of the community. Leaves the day to day running of the club to Petrie and others, gives the club a budget and sticks to it. Still won't win the cup though... :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
As an Edinburger, I'd be offended if someone chanted that at me. :-x

While every club has its bampots, Hibs are far less prominent with the sectarian nonsense than others nowadays. Having observed the various goings on at at Tynecastle (sex offenders) The Ibrox (going bust, playing the oldco/newco card when it suits them) and Celtc Park (the anti remembrance day banners) I'm glad the vast majority of the fans do not mix sectarianism with football at Easter Road.

Our main problem is fans giving pelters to our own players :roll:

If you are talking about Graham Rix in the "sex offenders" remark , I believe she was almost 16 !!!. No one seems to have a go at Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones and his dalliance with 14 year old Mandy whats her name :lol:
Romanov is the cause of Hearts downfall :oops:

Your "main problem" is coming to terms with being the Number 2 Club in Edinburgh and last years humiliation in The Scottish Cup Final with a 5-1 defeat to who ???? :p

One good thing about Easter Road you can (or could) pop out of Hospitality for a fag at half time (unlike Tynecastle) :p

Also your disallowed goal in the last derby match was outrageous by any standards. !!

Last edited:

familyguy99

Excellent news. Let us hope and pray that the team performs well enough to ensure that League 1 will still be the league they play in when this new stand is opened.

My wife and I were passing Edgeley Park recently which once saw Stockport County play matches at such a level and such has been their decline, if matters do not improve at once, they will be playing their home matches in one of the biggest grounds in the Conference North...<(

^^ If Oldham get relegated then hopeful they bound straight back up so when new Stand open they will be playing League One football or even better playing in Championship :D but I think that only can be dream.

As for Stockport, looking at fixtures that have left I notice if they are still in 21st place after Tues game then it look more likely they be playing Blue Square North as I can't see them beating Kidderminster in last game of season special when Kidderminster might need to win that game to be promotion to Football League, I wonder if Stockport will still get over 2,500 fans in at Edgeley Park if they are playing in Blue Square North division.

Eng274

If you are talking about Graham Rix in the "sex offenders" remark , I believe she was almost 16 !!!. No one seems to have a go at Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones and his dalliance with 14 year old Mandy whats her name :lol:
Romanov is the cause of Hearts downfall :oops:

Your "main problem" is coming to terms with being the Number 2 Club in Edinburgh and last years humiliation in The Scottish Cup Final with a 5-1 defeat to who ???? :p

One good thing about Easter Road you can (or could) pop out of Hospitality for a fag at half time (unlike Tynecastle) :p

Also your disallowed goal in the last derby match was outrageous by any standards. !!

I was referring to Craig Thomson - the player, not the referee who plays for you. He would still have been playing if vlad had his way, instead succumbing to pressure from the victims' parents, a charity, and a sponsor who pulled out. The beast was farmed out to Kanuas for a while until it blew over, but is now without a club.

I won't enter into the tiresome debate about the 'biggest team in Edinburgh' size complex that Hearts seem to obsess about, but I will add this. While the flagrant mismanagement have delivered two national trophies, one against the mighty Gretna ( still waiting for the champions league win vlad promised ;)), it has crippled the club from which it will only survive by fielding a team of bairns and cheap second rate players. Between that scenario, plus the UBiG bankruptcy saga that has grabbed the club firmly by the goolies, repeated late payment of wages due to financial instability, a dilapidated stadium, general poor running of the club, I rather like where Hibs are just now.

Despite the dire football, the revolving door of crap managers and disinterested journeymen players that have played for us, we are stable. The stadium is modern and complete, and is going nowhere. Can anyone realistically guarantee that tynecastle will still be there in five years? we have a training ground that will help produce new playing talent - once we have a management team who know how best to use it. All we need now is the owner and the board to show a little ambition. In a league of this seasons standard with no The Rangers, 9th place is an appalling underachievement for a team with our resources. I'm sure you'd agree about Hearts this season. How many points have Dundee taken off us <(

I don't know about nipping out for a smoke at half time, but I prefer to sink a pint or 2 and weep at my failing coupon when in the hospitality :|

As for the goal that wasn't - shocking decision.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 17

Ivo

Established Member
Micah Richards is the latest Man City player to be banned from driving, also for 6 months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-22123136

Just as well we didn't do that sweepstake then because I would have lost :lol:

Lawyers told Tameside Magistrates' Court Richards had failed to reply due to home renovations causing problems with his post.

What sort of excuse is that? If there is a problem you go to the Sorting Office and arrange a Plan B. And if he was already so close to a ban (he was banned for reaching 12 points) then he really should have been more prepared for something like this.

At the moment City players seem to think they're above the driving Laws...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At the moment City players seem to think they're above the driving Laws...

A novel idea would be when Manchester City are interested in signing a new player is to ensure they take the medical test in the normal way and if they pass the medical, they are then to sit the standard driving test that applies to see if they can pass that one...:D
************************************************************************************************

Champions League...Semi-final draw

Barcelona v Bayern Munich

Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund

Big game tomorrow, Yorkshire derby between Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday

Plenty has been said before the game. Both sets of fans have been warned about chanting, I assume that means Leeds fans chanting about Dave Jones and Wednesday fans chanting about Istanbul or Jimmy Saville.

Sheffield Wednesday fans have also been warned not to bring flares and fireworks into the ground. Several teams have done this at Elland Road this season so hopefully the police and stewards will have this under control. Good job it's not Leeds fans doing it or it would be headline news.

Hopefully the game will pass without incident off the pitch.

On the pitch, we have got a new manager in Brian McDemott. Surely Leeds is now unique in that the football and rugby teams are both coached by a Brian McDermott and both teams contain a winger called Ryan Hall.

With any luck the appointment will give us a lift but I doubt it. McDermott will have to work wonders to keep us up, we are dropping like a rock.

1-2 Wednesday.

richw

Veteran Member
An article on BBC about a David Moyes interview, hints that Moyes will be staying at Everton beyond his contract expiry.

Moyes admits he would have liked to have kept Neville, who will have a coaching role with England Under-21s at this summer's European Championship, at Goodison beyond the summer.

If Moyes was leaving as some believe why would it matter if he would have liked to have kept Neville.
Full article can be found here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22130386

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm amazed by how close the bottom of League Two is. York in 19th are on 41; every team below them - Torquay, Plymouth, Barnet, Aldershot and Accrington - is on 40! However, York and Aldershot have played one game more than the others, which might prove crucial...

Friday night result...

Accrington Stanley 2....Morecambe 0

This win is yet another good result by Accrington Stanley in the final run-in, as at one time, they looked doomed to playing next season in the Conference Premiership, which is now the home of many former league clubs.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I bet those Hibs fans who streamed out of Hampden when they went 3-0 down to Falkirk inside half an hour regret it now. They've done a remarkable impersonation of Liverpool v AC Milan and have sent the tie through to extra-time at 3-3...

SS4

Established Member
I've not heard Catatonia for ages but apparently they're still getting airplay in Cardiff

Great win today for Leeds Utd, 2-1 over Sheffield Wednesday.

It was Wednesday that took the lead in the first half and it felt like it was the same old same old for Leeds. However, our fans were terrific, so loud and got the team going in the 2nd half with two Luke Varney headers sealing the win. Leeds fans were superb today, a complete contrast to the game at Hillsbrough.

A massive win as Wednesday would say, MASSIVE. Sadly, after the game with Sheff Wed fans locked in, a large proportion, i'd say around 65-70% started on the Istanbul chants. Reading their forums on the train, most of them have condemned it and said it was a minority but it certainly wasn't. Sheff Wed fans poor on the whole.

I was one of the last out of the stadium and by the time i'd got to the bus stop, the police were putting Wednesday fans on the busses and wouldn't let me on so I had to walk to the railway station, 35 minutes. Then I missed the train to Cross Gates so had to wait for the next one. Then when I finally got to Cross Gates I realised I didn't have enough money on me for a Taxi for another long walk, around 25 minutes to get to Swarcliffe.

Only been back at home 10 minutes. What a day, what a day.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Should have taken three points from that game. Old Trafford next time out whereby we're predestined to lose and the ref will ensure this if necessary
At least Norwich lost I guess

Ferret

Established Member
Should have taken three points from that game. Old Trafford next time out whereby we're predestined to lose and the ref will ensure this if necessary

Fugging great, a shocker of an own goal from Delph. What is it this season with Villa being unable to hold onto leads?! I really think Villa are determined to relegate themselves.

richw

Veteran Member

Not helped by one of the worst linesman given penalties in the history of football for Arsenals first goal. Norwich were 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go.
As Watford lost today, Cardiff are now 12 points clear of the playoffs, with 4 games remaining, so are all but in the premiership next season now. Hull City are 6 points ahead of Watford and 6 behind Cardiff. I'd be surprised if Hull dont join Cardiff in the automatic promotion places.

SS4

Established Member
As Watford lost today, Cardiff are now 12 points clear of the playoffs, with 4 games remaining, so are all but in the premiership next season now. Hull City are 6 points ahead of Watford and 6 behind Cardiff. I'd be surprised if Hull dont join Cardiff in the automatic promotion places.

One point off automatic promotion iirc

Butts

Veteran Member
I bet those Hibs fans who streamed out of Hampden when they went 3-0 down to Falkirk inside half an hour regret it now. They've done a remarkable impersonation of Liverpool v AC Milan and have sent the tie through to extra-time at 3-3...

Most of them probably thought it was going to be a repeat of last years final against Hearts (which they lost 5-1).

Turns out they won 4-3 after extra time :lol: