• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Butts

Veteran Member
I truly, genuinely believe Fergie has left it about 5 years too long - over the past few years United have got gradually worse, to the point now where I believe they are quite a shadow of the team that won the 2008 CL Final vs. Chelsea, when I believe Fergie should have called it a day. Since then the squad has got weaker, the fact that they now play Anderson on a regular basis is a sad testament to this. In comparison to the other top European teams now (as this year's CL showed) Man Utd are increasingly losing their grip on the very top - Bayern, Real Madrid, B. Dortmund, Barca, PSG and Juventus etc all now look more prosperous than them - back around 2009 it was just them and Barca who ruled the roost.

Further, a few games since then have shown up Fergie's tactical nous - usually in Europe, remember when they were annihilated against Barca in two CL Finals. SAF did nothing at all to stop the rot, he looked on almost hopelessly as United carried on getting absolutely done. Similarly there appeared to be a lack of action against Real Madrid when they went out this year - I don't think such would have happened a decade ago (perhaps because they also had a better squad that had a lot less above average players!). There are also some comments he's made over the years (again particularly recently) that have been arrogant and even show contempt, even towards the Old Trafford faithful. Remember Newcastle being a 'small club in the North East' and his comments about OT's atmosphere?

I do think though there is only one man to succeed him, and it's the only man whose ego is big enough to make him immune to the constant comparisons during his tenure to Sir Alex, and that man is the Special One.

I await the months of ar*e-licking by the BBC, Sky, ITV etc now about how wonderful he is - the former will probably forget that he hated them for the best part of 8 years. It kicks off tonight with a 45-minute Football Focus dedicated to the man...

Apparently fans are to hold a minute's applause in the 98th minute v. WBA to show their appreciation.

What time is the Football Focus on BBC1 ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam

Established Member
When Ferguson was Jock Stein's assistant with Scotland, Ferguson had already won many trophies with St Mirren and Aberdeen, including the Cup-Winners Cup with Aberdeen it was still Stein, the master and Ferguson, the apprentice. Ferguson has said that his first few unsuccessful years at United would have been much easier with his mentor Stein to call upon for advice. Back in 85, when Stein passed away, who would have guessed that Ferguson would go onto even greater things than Jock? Two of the all time greats. In my opinion, the greatest two of all.

richw

Veteran Member
2024 BREAKING NEWS
David Moyes is set to be appointed as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United.

An announcement could be made tomorrow afternoon

from BBC live feed for tonights game,

currently chelsea 2 Spurs 1 after 39 mins

Butts

Veteran Member
When Ferguson was Jock Stein's assistant with Scotland, Ferguson had already won many trophies with St Mirren and Aberdeen, including the Cup-Winners Cup with Aberdeen it was still Stein, the master and Ferguson, the apprentice. Ferguson has said that his first few unsuccessful years at United would have been much easier with his mentor Stein to call upon for advice. Back in 85, when Stein passed away, who would have guessed that Ferguson would go onto even greater things than Jock? Two of the all time greats. In my opinion, the greatest two of all.

Sorry Bob Paisley - purely for European Cup Wins is above either of them :idea:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
2024 BREAKING NEWS
David Moyes is set to be appointed as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United.

currently chelsea 2 Spurs 1 after 39 mins

Am I the only dissenter - I feel like an SP at P's nuptials :p

richw

Veteran Member
Little bit of trivia for you here:

Who are the only British team Manchester United have faced under Sir Alex Ferguson but never beaten?

CC 72100

Established Member
2024 BREAKING NEWS

Not surprised, but nevertheless very pleased with this. Always had a lot of admiration for Moyes, and Mourinho was only ever going to go Chelsea. Still won't feel 'real' until I see him and not Fergie on the touchline, and he'll need to be given time, but he inherits a good team so I've no concerns about his ability to continue success. Big, big loss for Everton though, and I can't help wondering how long this has been in the pipeline. It's not often somebody leaves a post and under 24 hours later, should this happen as is expected, their successor is appointed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
2024 BREAKING NEWS
David Moyes is set to be appointed as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United. An announcement could be made tomorrow afternoon

Would the Stock Exchange require any time-period clarification of such an announcement that has been made the subject of leaked information that could be seen to adversely affect the share price ?

richw

Veteran Member
Moyes appointment may well see Rooney leaving.

Moyes sued and won substantial damages from Rooney based on comments in Rooney's autobiography.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yep. I believe there was an interesting spelling of Tomasz Kusczak's name that night as well.

(And even my spelling probably isn't right!)

Tomasz Miroslaw Kuszczak is his full name.

CZ in Polish is pronounced CH as in many of the Slavonic languages. For example, how does one pronounce the word Czech as in Czech Republic. Look at the last four letters of my forum username.

Butts

Veteran Member
I hope your taking the p***. O'Neills record in England is considerably worse than Moyes!

Aston Villa a Top Six side three seasons running - Moyes ???

League Cup Win with Leicester - I know it's not much but more than Moyes has ever won :idea:

richw

Veteran Member
Aston Villa a Top Six side three seasons running - Moyes ???

League Cup Win with Leicester - I know it's not much but more than Moyes has ever won :idea:

Three seasons running, maybe worth checking where Everton have been on far less resources than O'neill blew at Villa.
I dont think Sunderland or Villa fans will be in agreeance with you
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tomasz Miroslaw Kuszczak is his full name.

CZ in Polish is pronounced CH as in many of the Slavonic languages. For example, how does one pronounce the word Czech as in Czech Republic. Look at the last four letters of my forum username.

A close friend of mine shares the United keepers surname. kuzz-chack is how he pronounces it

Butts

Veteran Member
Three seasons running, maybe worth checking where Everton have been on far less resources than O'neill blew at Villa.
I dont think Sunderland or Villa fans will be in agreeance with you

Well we are talking facts - look how quickly Villa went from Top 6 after he left.

Can you remember what Moyes achieved at Preston - no promotion :lol:

familyguy99

Little bit of trivia for you here:

Who are the only British team Manchester United have faced under Sir Alex Ferguson but never beaten?

^^ I thought it was York as in 1995, York beat Man Utd 3-0 in League Cup but Man Utd did won 3-1 in second leg.

I think David Moyes could be good manager at Man Utd as he will be give more money to buy players then he did at Everton and he could win trophy with Man Utd as early as August, Community Shield which I think it be his first game as Man Utd manager if I'm right.

David

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing Nigel Adkins poached from Reading. He's proved how good he is (IMO) when working with smaller clubs and small budgets. It would be interesting to see what he could achieve when given a big budget and a decent squad to work with.

richw

Veteran Member
Well we are talking facts - look how quickly Villa went from Top 6 after he left.

Can you remember what Moyes achieved at Preston - no promotion :lol:

Whilst were on facts
2004-5 Moyes 4th , O'Neill no team
2005-6 Moyes 11th O'Neill no team
2006-7 Moyes 6th O'neill 11th (Villa)
2007-8 Moyes 5th O'Neill 6th (Villa)
2008-9 Moyes 5th O'Neill 6th (villa)
2009-10 Moyes 7th O'Neill 6th (Villa)
2010-11 Moyes 6th O'Neill no club, threw his dummy out the pram and quit cos he couldnt blow more money
2011-12 Moyes 7th O'neill 13th (Sunderland)

So whilst we mention "facts" looks like O'Neill has only once took a team higher than Moyes. Watch how much Everton fall without him. Look how Preston have fell since Moyes left, havent been in the Play Offs since

Liam

Established Member
Sorry Bob Paisley - purely for European Cup Wins is above either of them

Bob Paisley walked into a successful team, had a solid foundation left by Shankly and had money to spend. Stein walked into a disaster. The team had just finished in fifth place in the Scottish First Division, took more or less the same group of players and one year later were champions of Scotland. One year after that, Celtic were champions of Europe. He's also the only man as manager to qualify Scotland for two World Cups, although, sadly, he didn't make the second. :(

Butts

Veteran Member
Whilst were on facts
2004-5 Moyes 4th , O'Neill no team
2005-6 Moyes 11th O'Neill no team
2006-7 Moyes 6th O'neill 11th (Villa)
2007-8 Moyes 5th O'Neill 6th (Villa)
2008-9 Moyes 5th O'Neill 6th (villa)
2009-10 Moyes 7th O'Neill 6th (Villa)
2010-11 Moyes 6th O'Neill no club, threw his dummy out the pram and quit cos he couldnt blow more money
2011-12 Moyes 7th O'neill 13th (Sunderland)

So whilst we mention "facts" looks like O'Neill has only once took a team higher than Moyes. Watch how much Everton fall without him. Look how Preston have fell since Moyes left, havent been in the Play Offs since

I knew you'd do that :lol: - and I forgive you for not mentioning his lack of Silverware - O'Neill was busy winning trophies in Scotland and getting to the UEFA Cup Final acquiring Champions League experience along the way.

Seriously Moyes is a good club manager - but ask yourself this question would he be in the running if the vacancy was at one of United's contemporaries -

Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich or Inter et al.

If not why not :idea:

Liam

Established Member
Martinez is favourite for the Everton job, most places giving around 4/5 or 5/6, Gus Poyet and Neil Lennon are second and third favourites at around 10/1-16/1.

I think Lennon would take the job if offered.

Butts

Veteran Member
Martinez is favourite for the Everton job, most places giving around 4/5 or 5/6, Gus Poyet and Neil Lennon are second and third favourites at around 10/1-16/1.

I think Lennon would take the job if offered.

Perhaps they could tempt Gary Lineker to "Do a Shearer" - on second thoughts look how that turned out :p