• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

familyguy99

it finish Chelsea 2 Tottenham 2, it look like 3rd, 4th and 5th place will go down to final day after this results.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Three seasons running, maybe worth checking where Everton have been on far less resources than O'neill blew at Villa.
I dont think Sunderland or Villa fans will be in agreeance with you

Or Leicester.

We're still paying the price for O'Neill's habit of buying expensive benchwarmers

CC 72100

Established Member
I knew you'd do that :lol: - and I forgive you for not mentioning his lack of Silverware - O'Neill was busy winning trophies in Scotland and getting to the UEFA Cup Final acquiring Champions League experience along the way.

Seriously Moyes is a good club manager - but ask yourself this question would he be in the running if the vacancy was at one of United's contemporaries -

Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich or Inter et al.

If not why not :idea:

He wouldn't, because they are all foreign teams. The board have obviously specified that they wanted a manager with English premier league experience.

Butts

Veteran Member
Or Leicester.

We're still paying the price for O'Neill's habit of buying expensive benchwarmers

Who bought Darren Bent ? :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
He wouldn't, because they are all foreign teams. The board have obviously specified that they wanted a manager with English premier league experience.

Correction they are the Top Teams - how about a manager who has won The English Premier League and or The Champions League :lol:

CC 72100

Established Member
Correction they are the Top Teams - how about a manager who has won The English Premier League and or The Champions League :lol:

Who has spent the past months buttering himself up for Chelsea? That seems as good as a done deal. How much credibility would he be left with if he's been waxing lyrical about Chelsea for months, only to leave them at the altar for Man United? No chance.

SS4

Established Member
Who bought Darren Bent ? :roll:

Houllier. He was a panic buy but did us a decent enough service albeit not at the price we paid and would still be starting if we'd not signed Benteke. You may also recall that Houllier only took charge after a certain other manager threw his toys out of the pram and left five days before the season started.
To be habitual it must be more than one player though

I don't think O'Neill would be suitable for Manchester United though, his method seems to be to provide a fillip for struggling teams and a short boost in fortune which tails off and then he leaves.

Here's a list of our net transfers: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/aston-villa/transferbilanz/verein_405.html

£45m in 2008/09?!

Butts

Veteran Member
Who has spent the past months buttering himself up for Chelsea? That seems as good as a done deal. How much credibility would he be left with if he's been waxing lyrical about Chelsea for months, only to leave them at the altar for Man United? No chance.

He has long been considered a natural successor to Sir Alex....failing that above Moyes I would put...

Benitez

Wenger

Redknapp

AVB

and Steve Bruce :oops:

CC 72100

Established Member
He has long been considered a natural successor to Sir Alex....failing that above Moyes I would put...

Benitez No chance! After 'FACT!' speech?

Wenger Nope. He's an Arsenal man, wouldn't leave them for another English club.

Redknapp Nope. Negative playing style, just not the right fit.

AVB Shows promise, but perhaps not proved enough of a steady hand over long enough time.

and Steve Bruce :oops:

(My bold)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I (currently) am as a leicester fan, but even if we're promoted I want Pearson sacked.

Careful what you wish for.

There's no way we would survive with our current form 3 wins since the start of feb and we should have done better with the amount of money we've had!

Leicester needs a good clearing out come the end of the season. Carrying around too much deadwood.

I like Leicester, but don't want them to go up. That way I will finally have a Boxing Day fixture I can get to.

(In the only three seasons we were in the second tier, we had Leicester away Boxing Day every time. So I am fully expecting this to be the case this year if Leicester stays down.)

Yeovil beat Sheffield United 2-0 to reach the play off final, their opposition will be decidedwhen Brentford and Swindon play at 1630

Best news of the weekend. :lol:

The club, manager, and players are all full of themselves if the antics in our two encounters this year are anything to go by. Some of the fans are not too savoury either, and have a lot to learn from their steel city rivals in how not to patronise lower league supporters.

Oh dear, now little Donny, Bournemouth and god forbid Yeovil are going to be in their "rightful" home. :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst were on facts
2004-5 Moyes 4th , O'Neill no team
2005-6 Moyes 11th O'Neill no team
2006-7 Moyes 6th O'Neill 11th (Villa)
2007-8 Moyes 5th O'Neill 6th (Villa)
2008-9 Moyes 5th O'Neill 6th (villa)
2009-10 Moyes 7th O'Neill 6th (Villa)
2010-11 Moyes 6th O'Neill no club, threw his dummy out the pram and quit cos he couldnt blow more money
2011-12 Moyes 7th O'neill 13th (Sunderland)

So whilst we mention "facts" looks like O'Neill has only once took a team higher than Moyes. Watch how much Everton fall without him. Look how Preston have fell since Moyes left, havent been in the Play Offs since

All this says that Moyes has never achieved a place higher than that fourth, and that only once, which is not one that would be a good passport to participation in the Champions League competition.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A close friend of mine shares the United keepers surname. kuzz-chack is how he pronounces it

He is totally correct in this...notice what I said about CZ being said as CH, so a ending of CZAK would be as you have stated.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
All this says that Moyes has never achieved a place higher than that fourth, and that only once, which is not one that would be a good passport to participation in the Champions League competition.

But the important thing is that he is consistent, and being there or thereabouts with a team not in the Big 4 shows clear capability and potential if given a Big 4 side to manage.

Butts

Veteran Member

His ability is not in doubt , the unknown factor is how he will fare operating on a higher plane with a bigger budget.

In my view the appointment may turn out to be a poisoned chalice succeeding a legend who is still in situ albeit upstairs in some form - you will remember Wilf McGuinness and Frank O'Farrell in the early seventies :idea:

If Jose goes back to Chelsea and has a big cheque book made available it could compound the situation.

However I wish him the best of luck , Chelsea have imported plenty of so called star managers like Scolari who have flopped miserably:idea:, so going the other way may be the answer.

One thing is certain in todays world he will not be granted as long to mould a winning team as Sir Alex was.

Liam

Established Member
In my view the appointment may turn out to be a poisoned chalice succeeding a legend who is still in situ albeit upstairs in some form - you will remember Wilf McGuinness and Frank O'Farrell in the early seventies :idea:

So they should have brought in a manager for a couple of years, wait for them to fail badly enough so they can sack him, then go for Moyes?

Butts

Veteran Member
So they should have brought in a manager for a couple of years, wait for them to fail badly enough so they can sack him, then go for Moyes?

You may well find your proposition will be reversed with Moyes being the fall guy :idea:

Ivo

Established Member
Well, although it's not confirmed yet, all the speculation is that Moyes is off to OT :(

The last few months we've had speculation about his future, saying he won't sign a new contract until the end of the season (a season which has sadly trailed away over the last two months) and now set to not sign one at all with only six weeks left.

Assuming he does go, I would hope for Laudrup, but I have my doubts as to whether he would actually leave Swansea - he is certainly more loyal than the average. Otherwise, whilst Martinez is undoubtedly good I'm not sure he would be ready for a Top 10 force; if neither comes along, maybe we could get Poyet if Brighton lose the Play-Offs?

I've seen it said that this week will destroy two of the three longest managerial relationships in the League, with Fergie (1st) and Moyes (3rd) both leaving their roles. Wenger may start to feel rather lonely...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Assuming he does go, I would hope for Laudrup, but I have my doubts as to whether he would actually leave Swansea - he is certainly more loyal than the average.

Would not the loyalty that you state preclude a move from Swansea to Everton, as his tenure at Swansea is still somewhat of a short time period and Swansea's management, players and supporters would hope that "club-hopping" is not part of his nature.

Ivo

Established Member
I would be happy if he did come along, but alas I feel he has his sight set on the long run at the Liberty, so he is more likely to come along as an opponent than a successor...

...in the event he did come, he'd be welcome to bring Michu with him - especially if £2M still applies :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
Well, although it's not confirmed yet, all the speculation is that Moyes is off to OT :(

The last few months we've had speculation about his future, saying he won't sign a new contract until the end of the season (a season which has sadly trailed away over the last two months) and now set to not sign one at all with only six weeks left.

Assuming he does go, I would hope for Laudrup, but I have my doubts as to whether he would actually leave Swansea - he is certainly more loyal than the average. Otherwise, whilst Martinez is undoubtedly good I'm not sure he would be ready for a Top 10 force; if neither comes along, maybe we could get Poyet if Brighton lose the Play-Offs?

I've seen it said that this week will destroy two of the three longest managerial relationships in the League, with Fergie (1st) and Moyes (3rd) both leaving their roles. Wenger may start to feel rather lonely...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ehmm who did Wigan beat in the FA Cup Semi-Final

Ivo

Established Member
It's now official: Bye Bye David Moyes... :(

I wish he stayed, but I know he has long been one of the top two choices for the role (along with Mourinho). I wish him every success at OT, and in a slightly unusual stance will even be cheering United on somewhat in the hope of winning Title #21 - unless Everton end up in an unlikely title push of course!

And speaking of Everton, I just hope we (the supporters) aren't kept waiting too long...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Perhaps Rooney won't be wanting to move now. ;)

Now watch Everton implode. :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist that.)

richw

Veteran Member
Perhaps Rooney won't be wanting to move now. ;)

Now watch Everton implode. :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist that.)

Rooney has said he wants reassurances he is getting a key role in moyes plan.

Must remember Moyes sued Rooney around 2007-08 regarding comments in rooney's autobiography.