• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

DarloRich

Veteran Member
tough game for Darlo tonight v Workington with only one available defender!

In other Darlo news club legend (and i mean LEGEND) Ron Greener has died, he was 81. He played 490 first team games at centre half between 1955 and 1967. He played in the 4-1 thrashing of Chelsea in the 4th round of the FA cup in 30 January 1958.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13879665.Darlington_FC_legend_Ron_Greener_has_died/

Tributes to arguably Darlington FC's greatest player Ron Greener

Darlo 4 - Chelsea 1 FA Cup 4th round replay 29th January 1958
https://youtu.be/U5q9YhjWjOU

That game came after Darlo threw away a 3-0 lead at Stamford Bridge. Darlo got hammered 6-1 by Wolves in the 5th round in front of 55,778 at Molineux! The final was won that year by Bolton who beat Manchester United 2-0 through Nat Lofthouse. United were struglging under the blow of the Munich Air disaster.

Last edited:

familyguy99

Oldham have won for only second time in 24 matches. :D

Swindon 1-2 Oldham

Our next game is local derby match against Rochdale (at Spotland) in which I be Att and after this result I hope Oldham can go there and win just like last season.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Marine 2...Hyde United 3

Hyde went 2-0 in the first 15 minutes then Marine fought back with two goals in two minutes mid-way through the second half but Hyde then raised their game and pressed the Marine defence constantly and Scott Spencer (who else) scored the winner for Hyde in the 90th minute.

Hyde have now won 5 of their 8 away league matches this season and are now up to 11th place in the league

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Marine 2...Hyde United 3

Hyde went 2-0 in the first 15 minutes then Marine fought back with two goals in two minutes mid-way through the second half but Hyde then raised their game and pressed the Marine defence constantly and Scott Spencer (who else) scored the winner for Hyde in the 90th minute.

Hyde have now won 5 of their 8 away league matches this season and are now up to 11th place in the league

i told you Hyde were in a false posistion ;)

Darlo beat Workington 4-0 last night and went back top of the table

backontrack

Established Member
Darlo beat Workington 4-0 last night and went back top of the table

Having just checked, Blyth Spartans, who are second, have the same amount of points and a game in hand against a team in fifteenth.

Yesterday, York managed a 2-2 draw at home against Dagenham and Redbridge. Their next match is against AFC Wimbledon.

David

Established Member
To celebrate Back to the Future day, the Football League have published a few images on Twitter of how things have changed since Marty McFly travelled to this day.

First up, teams in the top5 divisions who have gained the most places in the last 30 years https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656826966780354561/photo/1

And teams in the top 5 divisions who have dropped the most places https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656834737932271618/photo/1

Teams who have scored the most goals https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656816434182553601/photo/1

Teams who have won the most points. https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656810046664347648/photo/1

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
To celebrate Back to the Future day, the Football League have published a few images on Twitter of how things have changed since Marty McFly travelled to this day.

First up, teams in the top5 divisions who have gained the most places in the last 30 years https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656826966780354561/photo/1

And teams in the top 5 divisions who have dropped the most places https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656834737932271618/photo/1

Teams who have scored the most goals https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656816434182553601/photo/1

Teams who have won the most points. https://twitter.com/football_league/status/656810046664347648/photo/1

Only one team of the 92 league sides was in the exact same place as 30 years ago, that team being Huddersfield Town, 13th in what should still be called Division 2.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Not all of the younger forum members will believe that Oldham Athletic were once one of the founder members of the English Premiership....:oops:

Stockport County were once in the Championship but now play in a low level non-league division, having suffered relegation on what seemed like season after season.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

It doesn't show quite the true position as it omits teams like Darlo, Chester and Halifax who have fallen out of the league.

Darlo were bottom of the league that day!

SS4

Established Member
UEFA appear to have taken exception to the Manchester City fans booing during the playing of the anthem associated with UEFA competitions and the UEFA match representative is said to have submitted a formal report on the matter.

If this is similar to their actions regarding financial fair play Manchester City need not worry

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Off up to Huddersfield tomorrow to see Derby take on the Terriers. Hoping for a win but also hoping that Chris Powel has some success with Huddersfield given that he is an ex Derby player and a damn good one at that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not all of the younger forum members will believe that Oldham Athletic were once one of the founder members of the English Premiership....:oops:

Along with an artificial surface, stands on all four sides of the ground and Andy Richie banging in the goals! Manchester United signed a full back from Oldham called Dennis Irwin; what a player he was.
UEFA appear to have taken exception to the Manchester City fans booing during the playing of the anthem associated with UEFA competitions and the UEFA match representative is said to have submitted a formal report on the matter.

Yes I heard that on Radio 5 Live last night. Given how badly the City fans were treated over the Moscow fiasco you can hardly blame them for having issues with UEFA.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Was that the match when Manchester United had Pilkington in goal?

First Leg at Old Trafford the Manchester United team was:

Pilkington, Parker, Irwin, McGibbon, Pallister, P Neville (Cooke 46), Davies (Bruce 58), Beckham, Sharpe, McClair, Giggs.

(McGibbbon was making his debut was sent off and never played for United again)

Lost 3-0

Second leg at Bootham Crescent:

Schmeichel, G Neville, Bruce, Pallister, Sharpe, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Cole, Cooke, Cantona

Manchester United won 3-1 but out 4-3 on aggregate.

ReverendFozz

Pilkington, Parker, Irwin, McGibbon, Pallister, P Neville (Cooke 46), Davies (Bruce 58), Beckham, Sharpe, McClair, Giggs.

Lost 3-0

Schmeichel, G Neville, Bruce, Pallister, Sharpe, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Cole, Cooke, Cantona

Back in 1995 wasn't it, early rounds of the League Cup?

I think the 2nd Leg was played the night before I went to France on holiday

zuriblue

As a Manchester City fan of many years standing I am appalled that my club will be welcoming a despotic dictator who presides over a regime of unparallelled corruption and who has scant regard for human rights. Chinese leader Xi Jinping will be there as well.

(arf)

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As a Manchester City fan of many years standing I am appalled that my club will be welcoming a despotic dictator who presides over a regime of unparallelled corruption and who has scant regard for human rights. Chinese leader Xi Jinping will be there as well.

(arf)

You should be used to them by now.

(arf arf)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

(arf)

:lol:

Did not see that coming. I wonder who the "despotic dictator" is.

backontrack

Established Member

Lost 3-0

Pilkington or no Pilkington, York still completed a considerable achievement. Beating Phil Neville, David Beckham and Ryan Giggs 3-0 away is an amazing feat. Even in the home leg they prevented Manchester Utd from having a clean sheet, whereas they'd had one in the first leg.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Off up to Huddersfield tomorrow to see Derby take on the Terriers. Hoping for a win but also hoping that Chris Powel has some success with Huddersfield given that he is an ex Derby player and a damn good one at that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---.

I hope you have time to sample some of my home town's watering holes, and that we can raise our game like we seem to against the bigger teams in the division. However if we play anything like we did on Tuesday (when we were rather lucky to beat a certain pretend team from a Buckinghamshire New Town) you could have a cricket score!
Looking forward to seeing Jacob Butterfield back in Huddersfield and hope our midfield can keep him quiet. If I was offered a point before kick-off I'd bite your hand off though!

Johnuk123

Established Member
http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/sun...ee-into-english-footballs-hall-of-fame-365387

English football today inducted a little-known Chinese player into the National Football Museum’s hall of fame.
The induction of former Manchester City defender Sun Jihai has been described by one MP as a “grubby little fix” to buy influence during the Chinese president’s state trip to Britain.
Sun took his place alongside some of the all-time greats of the English game including Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews, George Best and Kenny Dalglish.

I know Cameron is desperate to please the Chinese dictator here this week but I would have thought the Chinese must be laughing their clogs off.

Sun Jihai incidentally is the player described as "Number 17 – that'll be the Chicken Chow Mein, then" in a BBC live football commentary.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think many will find that joke amusing.

Sun's arrival at Man City is a milestone for Chinese football, and football in Asia in general, and that in itself deserves recognition imo, even if the national team is utterly rubbish at the moment. Maybe it is not so important for you, but for a club with a worldwide vision, it is a very worthwhile effort.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the Chinese leader, who is actually a very popular figure believe it or not, being involved somehow would it? But he is the leader of the communist party so must be a bad guy and anything he touches must be bad. :roll:

SS4

Established Member
178506_fffuuu.jpg

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Hyde United 5....Ramsbottom United 0

Hyde continued their recent good run with a comprehensive victory over the bottom team in the league but did not score any more goals after scoring five in the first 48 minutes, Another hat trick for Scott Spencer. Hyde are now up to seventh place in the league,

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Evo Stik Premier League

Hyde continued their recent good run with a comprehensive victory over the bottom team in the league but did not score any more goals after scoring five in the first 48 minutes, Another hat trick for Scott Spencer. Hyde are now up to seventh place in the league,

yes of little faith - i told you Hyde were in a false position ( see above!)

BTW it is alleged that Darlo may have fielded an ineligible player in a tin pot county cup game. Stand by for points deductions, a relegation to the dog and gun Tuesday night 5 a side league and a £4.5bn fine from our good friends at the FA.

(Something to do with international clearance - in the Evo stick league! -Who would have thunk it)
Evo Stik Premier League

yes of little faith - i told you Hyde were in a false position ( see above!)

Darlo won 2-1 v Mickelover Sports to remain top of the league

BTW it is alleged that Darlo may have fielded an ineligible player in a tin pot county cup game. Stand by for points deductions, a relegation to the dog and gun Tuesday night 5 a side league and a £4.5bn fine from our good friends at the FA.

(Something to do with international clearance - in the Evo stick league! -Who would have thunk it)
http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/sun...ee-into-english-footballs-hall-of-fame-365387

I know Cameron is desperate to please the Chinese dictator here this week but I would have thought the Chinese must be laughing their clogs off.

Sun Jihai incidentally is the player described as "Number 17 – that'll be the Chicken Chow Mein, then" in a BBC live football commentary.

There is a a very caustic article on this in the Guardian