• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Antman

Established Member
Looks like Brighton who remained unbeaten until a few weeks ago bubble has burst, currently 1-0 down to Wolves.

Now only if XC still ran to Brighton the Wolves fans could have got a direct train home ;) :lol:

And that was the final score and QPR lost 1-2 to Hull City, I wonder if JFH is regretting leaving Burton?

And yes I've got relatives on the Sussex coast who are not impressed by the loss of these services:cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Good 1-0 win at Craven Cottage for us today, nice to get 2016 off to a winning start.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Good 1-0 win at Craven Cottage for us today, nice to get 2016 off to a winning start.

As did we, 2-0 away at "Crisis Club" Bolton Wanderers. Sounds like we should've had a penalty in the first half too. Quite a few goals by ex-players too, including a hat-trick for Lee Novak for Chesterfield and (unfortunately) a late own-goal by Anthony Kay which earned Beeston a point at home to the giants of MK Dons!

familyguy99

Oldham 1-1 Colchester

Oldham was leading from fifth mins and look like heading for they only second home league win of season until Cornell gifted Colchester equaliser score and Colchester was unlucky not to go 2-1 up when Ambrose shot hit crossbar.

we are now five points behind Shrewsbury in table and play one of three games in hand next Saturday, we really need to start winning at Boundary Park if we have any chances of staying in League One.

zuriblue

Why in the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster can City never do it the easy way. I swear (frequently) that being a Manchester City supporter is bad for your health.

Butts

Veteran Member
WE GOT ANOTHER POINT

Unfortunately it's about as much use as tits on a fish but hey ho!
To be fair another improved performance and I can see some sort of plan taking shape. Too late for this season but will stand us in good stead next season

Only Everton have spent more seasons in the Top Flight of English Football than Aston Villa.

Since 1888-89 Everton have been in the top tier for 113 out of 117 Seasons.

Villa are next on 105 Seasons.

This current lot are a disgrace to the once fabled players to represent Aston Villa over the years.

If they go down it could be 105 years before they come back :p (especially if the 3-1 defeat to Sunderland is a yardstick)

ps What happened to the 30 odd Million they robbed Liverpool for Benteke ?

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
Only Everton have spent more seasons in the Top Flight of English Football than Aston Villa.

Since 1888-89 Everton have been in the top tier for 113 out of 117 Seasons.

Villa are next on 105 Seasons.

This current lot are a disgrace to the once fabled players to represent Aston Villa over the years.

If they go down it could be 105 years before they come back :p (especially if the 3-1 defeat to Sunderland is a yardstick)

ps What happened to the 30 odd Million they robbed Liverpool for Benteke ?

You do seem rather obsessed with goings on at VP. You must be an Albion or Blues fan ;)
As far as the money we robbed off Liverpool for Benteke is concerned we spent it on a load of French players! Who actually have been probably our best performers so far. Ayew, Veretout and Amavi (before the injury)
Unfortunately the rest are just wasters! Agbonlahor and Grealish especially come into this category

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You do seem rather obsessed with goings on at VP. You must be an Albion or Blues fan ;)
As far as the money we robbed off Liverpool for Benteke is concerned we spent it on a load of French players! Who actually have been probably our best performers so far. Ayew, Veretout and Amavi (before the injury)
Unfortunately the rest are just wasters! Agbonlahor and Grealish especially come into this category

You also bought the wrong Blackburn forward! Rhodes would be scoring for fun being supplied by Agbonlahor (who's still a damn good player if you ask me)... Then again, having bought Gestede you've only been using him sparingly!
Then again, you did have Liverpool's pants down with Benteke but they do have a tendency to sign strikers on reputation rather than quality (a certain egotistical Italian springs to mind...).

Minilad

Established Member
You also bought the wrong Blackburn forward! Rhodes would be scoring for fun being supplied by Agbonlahor (who's still a damn good player if you ask me)... Then again, having bought Gestede you've only been using him sparingly!
Then again, you did have Liverpool's pants down with Benteke but they do have a tendency to sign strikers on reputation rather than quality (a certain egotistical Italian springs to mind...).

Agreed about signing the wrong striker.
But HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at the bolded bit :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Agreed about signing the wrong striker.
But HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at the bolded bit :lol:

Perhaps I was slightly hyperbolic, but remember he could've jumped ship a few years ago and didn't (unlike a certain former L**ds midfielder!). He doesn't have the pace he once did but he's a one-club man, a rare thing in this day and age. He'll be good for you next year in the second division anyway, not as good as Nahki Wells or Joe Lolley (incidentally, he's a Villa fan) but you can't have everything!

Minilad

Established Member
Perhaps I was slightly hyperbolic, but remember he could've jumped ship a few years ago and didn't (unlike a certain former L**ds midfielder!). He doesn't have the pace he once did but he's a one-club man, a rare thing in this day and age. He'll be good for you next year in the second division anyway, not as good as Nahki Wells or Joe Lolley (incidentally, he's a Villa fan) but you can't have everything!

I would be very surprised if he is still here next season. Very much a disruptive element in the dressing room by all accounts. I honestly can't remember the last time he had a good game for us.
Joe Lolley used to frequent a Villa message board I use. He had to stop when he signed for Kidderminster as it was against their rules but he is still revered on there. Especially when he scored against the unwashed a few weeks ago!!
He was known as Kryten on there after the Red Dwarf character!
Please don't mention the snake again. It makes me want to throw things!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I would be very surprised if he is still here next season. Very much a disruptive element in the dressing room by all accounts. I honestly can't remember the last time he had a good game for us.
Joe Lolley used to frequent a Villa message board I use. He had to stop when he signed for Kidderminster as it was against their rules but he is still revered on there. Especially when he scored against the unwashed a few weeks ago!!
He was known as Kryten on there after the Red Dwarf character!
Please don't mention the snake again. It makes me want to throw things!

It's not that long ago that Agbonlahor was regularly linked with an England call-up, but you see him week in week out, I only see him on MOTD and this season there's not been much to see! As for the "snake", I'd better not have call to make reference to a village up near Saddleworth which once had a branchline service known as the Delph Donkey!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington had another home game postponed on new years day. Over 2 months since we last played at home! The cash flow must be shafted to hell especially after loosing the boxing day almost derby v Whitby!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Darlington had another home game postponed on new years day. Over 2 months since we last played at home! The cash flow must be shafted to hell especially after loosing the boxing day almost derby v Whitby!

Do Darlo still play at that enormous white elephant stadium? (The George Reynolds Arena IIRC).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do Darlo still play at that enormous white elephant stadium? (The George Reynolds Arena IIRC).

no - it was repossessed during one of our many financial crisis brought about by our latest in a long line of fit and proper owners and their schemes!

We play at Heritage Park in Bishop Auckland now and have done since 2012 (Following our enforced demotions & attempted destruction) It is hoped that we will return to Darlington to play at Blackwell Rugby Club. Negotiations are on going.

By chance the estadio della Darlo is now owned by Mowden Park Rugby Club who purchased it from the money lenders who repossessed the stadium after one of our fit and proper owner failed to keep paying them! They are said to be making it pay

muddythefish

On Moderation
no - it was repossessed during one of our many financial crisis brought about by our latest in a long line of fit and proper owners and their schemes!

We play at Heritage Park in Bishop Auckland now and have done since 2012 (Following our enforced demotions & attempted destruction) It is hoped that we will return to Darlington to play at Blackwell Rugby Club. Negotiations are on going.

By chance the estadio della Darlo is now owned by Mowden Park Rugby Club who purchased it from the money lenders who repossessed the stadium after one of our fit and proper owner failed to keep paying them! They are said to be making it pay

I lived and worked in Darlington in the early 1980s. What happened to the original Feethams stadium ? I remember entering it by walking round Darlington CC's ground !

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I lived and worked in Darlington in the early 1980s. What happened to the original Feethams stadium ? I remember entering it by walking round Darlington CC's ground !

we left to go to the megadome. It was sold by the owners ( essentially the Cricket Club) and is now houses :(

richw

Veteran Member
Managerial mid-season sackings are also not uncommon in the other European football league, even at the highest level, noting the fate that has now befallen on the head of Rafa Benitez at Real Madrid today.

Chelsea need a permanent manager, I know he's popular there. :lol:

Clip

Established Member

Canny little ground that one though in Bishop. Try and pop along when up visiting friends and family in that area.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I think anyone who isn't a fan of a handful of clubs at the top of the game has to admit that the amount of money in the game (and the rather top-heavy distribution thereof) has had a negative effect. I look at what's happened to clubs like Darlington, Portsmouth, Halifax, Stockport and it could so easily have been Huddersfield added to that list. We've just beaten Bolton who are now reaping the grim harvest of their years of trying to break into that elite group and find themselves with a manager they can't afford to sack- a situation similar to where we were about a decade ago. Thankfully one of our fans made a heap of money and decided to invest in the team, and is running the club in the right way. It could so easily have been us that overstretched ourselves and ended up in deep doo-doo. Like yourself, I'd still go and watch us play at Ossett Albion or wherever if we'd had to start from scratch but how many people would? That's the weird thing about being a football fan though: no matter how much pain they put you through, you keep on turning out in the hope that they'll make you proud. At times it feels like a life sentence but thankfully at the moment it's like the early stages of a new and promising romance but there's always that nagging doubt that at some point the rug will be pulled from under you... Marx said that religion is the opium of the masses, I'd argue that football is- particularly if you're not fortunate enough to be born into the fandom of one of the big four/five!

Butts

Veteran Member
Managerial mid-season sackings are also not uncommon in the other European football league, even at the highest level, noting the fate that has now befallen on the head of Rafa Benitez at Real Madrid today.

68% Win rate and four points off the top of the table <D

Another bumper payout for Benitez beckons !!!

Putting Zidane in charge may be an error :p

Clip

Established Member
Dunno about that he seemed to do ok with their B team didnt he? Always the same with Real though - once Barca are on top by christmas then out goes the manager. Surprised they never went back for maureen

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Canny little ground that one though in Bishop. Try and pop along when up visiting friends and family in that area.

it is a great ground & Bishops have been really good to us and even though we are paying them rent the relationship seems to have gone well.

Two teams playing on the same pitch is really having a negative impact on the playing surface and it might take a lot of our rent money to put right once we have left.

Come and watch Darlo when you are up - we might get a home game around April at this rate! ;)

I think anyone who isn't a fan of a handful of clubs at the top of the game has to admit that the amount of money in the game (and the rather top-heavy distribution thereof) has had a negative effect. I look at what's happened to clubs like Darlington, Portsmouth, Halifax, Stockport and it could so easily have been Huddersfield added to that list. We've just beaten Bolton who are now reaping the grim harvest of their years of trying to break into that elite group and find themselves with a manager they can't afford to sack- a situation similar to where we were about a decade ago. Thankfully one of our fans made a heap of money and decided to invest in the team, and is running the club in the right way. It could so easily have been us that overstretched ourselves and ended up in deep doo-doo. Like yourself, I'd still go and watch us play at Ossett Albion or wherever if we'd had to start from scratch but how many people would? That's the weird thing about being a football fan though: no matter how much pain they put you through, you keep on turning out in the hope that they'll make you proud. At times it feels like a life sentence but thankfully at the moment it's like the early stages of a new and promising romance but there's always that nagging doubt that at some point the rug will be pulled from under you... Marx said that religion is the opium of the masses, I'd argue that football is- particularly if you're not fortunate enough to be born into the fandom of one of the big four/five!

You get one choice, so choose well. To change after you make that choice simply makes you a plastic glory boy and beneath contempt.

For us the best thing to come out of our enforced relegation is that it really is our club. We rescued it, we own it, we fund it and we need to keep it going. No more fit and proper persons with grand schemes.!

backontrack

Established Member
League Cup Semi-Final, First Leg: Liverpool vs Stoke

Coutinho injured - hamstring. Ibe subbed on for him. Still 0-0. Here are the current teams:

Stoke XI: Butland, Johnson, Shawcross, Wollscheid, Pieters, Whelan, Cameron, Arnautovic, Afellay, Shaqiri, Bojan

Liverpool XI: Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Allen, Ibe (for Coutinho, 18), Lallana, Firmino.