• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Town 0 - 4 Tottenham Hotspur

Well, at least now we know what we're up against! Nothing will be decided in these games but it's still a rude awakening... rather disappointed in Jan Vertonghen's blood-curdling cry of "pain" after being beaten to a ball by Elias Kachunga right in front of the linesman (and myself). There was no foul and barely any contact, but the cry got the attention of the linesman leading to a booking for Kachunga.

Dele Alli rather disgraced himself with a dive too, though it was punished at least. Harry Kane on the other hand was outstanding. The standing ovation he was given by the entire stadium when substituted on 81 minutes says it all. Onwards to Swansea next...

(A previous version of this post identified Harry Kane as the "actor". This was incorrect and I, 61653 HTAFC, apologise for this error unreservedly).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

familyguy99

Not been bad week for Oldham since they sacked Sheridan on Monday.

Tuesday 26th Sept - Oldham 3-2 Peterborough

Saturday 30th Sept - Portsmouth 1-2 Oldham

Back to back wins for Oldham and for first time this season Oldham didn't concluded more then two goals.

You may have hear that Clarence Seedorf got interviewed for Oldham manager job but from Latics fan forums it believe that didn't happened, I would give job to Wellans given how well Oldham played in last two matches.

SS4

Established Member
A 1-0 win against the bottom club sees us in 7th position in the table going into the international break although marred by a questionable red card (I haven't see it so can't comment).

Meanwhile in Hull...

[youtube]2Z4m4lnjxkY[/youtube]

96tommy

Gary Mills sacked as York manager tonight. He led us to 3 defeats but the board has now seen sense and after a poor run of results last season and this season, his position was untenable

Darandio

Established Member
Gary Mills sacked as York manager tonight. He led us to 3 defeats but the board has now seen sense and after a poor run of results last season and this season, his position was untenable

'Finalising a management structure'

Jackie Mac putting himself back in as caretaker?

AndyHudds

Huddersfield Town 0 - 4 Tottenham Hotspur

Well, at least now we know what we're up against! Nothing will be decided in these games but it's still a rude awakening... rather disappointed in Jan Vertonghen's blood-curdling cry of "pain" after being beaten to a ball by Elias Kachunga right in front of the linesman (and myself). There was no foul and barely any contact, but the cry got the attention of the linesman leading to a booking for Kachunga.

Dele Alli rather disgraced himself with a dive too, though it was punished at least. Harry Kane on the other hand was outstanding. The standing ovation he was given by the entire stadium when substituted on 81 minutes says it all. Onwards to Swansea next...

(A previous version of this post identified Harry Kane as the "actor". This was incorrect and I, 61653 HTAFC, apologise for this error unreservedly.

Not really sure we did ourselves many favours though, the first two goals were kamikaze defending but it was a rude awakening. I'm pleased with our start but we do need to be better. The Vertonghen incident was ridiculous.

SteveP29

rather disappointed in Jan Vertonghen's blood-curdling cry of "pain" after being beaten to a ball by Elias Kachunga right in front of the linesman (and myself). There was no foul and barely any contact, but the cry got the attention of the linesman leading to a booking for Kachunga.

I hate this free kick and card thing for those challenges, if a player stretches for the ball as the other player clears it, there isn't really a lot that he can do and its inevitable that the player clearing the ball is going to make contact with the player trying to deflect the clearance.
What are these players meant to do? just let them clear the ball without any pressure?
Football is now a game for the softest, dirtiest and least honest 'sportsmen' in the world now

roversfan2001

Established Member
Solid 1-0 win against Gillingham today to move us into the top 6 for the first time. Bound to drop next week as we don't play but we'll then have 2 games in hand on teams around us. Looking good for the season now, finally starting to show the quality we have.

Drogba11CFC

Barnstaple Town 1...Winchester City 4 (Hopcroft 18, Ibesson s/o 1; Mlambo 6, Bailey 22, 34, Flooks 66)

Another dominant display from Winchester City as they put Barnstaple to the sword. The hosts were reduced to ten men for a professional foul after 25 seconds and Simba Mlambo's volley was followed up by a brace from Oli Bailey (including an audacious lob) and a header from Rob Flooks in the second half.

Other Results:

Evo-Stik South West:

Bristol Manor Farm 1...Evesham United 5

Cirencester Town 1...Larkhall Athletic 2

Didcot Town 4...Yate Town 2

Mangotsfield United 1...Slimbridge 2

Salisbury 0...Bishops Cleeve 0

Taunton Town 1...North Leigh 0

Wimborne Town 1...AFC Totton 1

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round:

Cinderford Town 2...Hampton & Richmond Borough 3

Haringey Borough 4...Bideford 1

Paulton Rovers 3...Swindon Supermarine 2

League Table:
1. Taunton Town 9/22
====================
2. Bristol Manor Farm 9/19
-----------–———————————
3. Evesham United 9/19
4. Winchester City 8/18
5. Salisbury 9/17
6. Swindon Supermarine 9/17
----------------------------------------
7. AFC Totton 9/16
8. Slimbridge 9/14
9. Wimborne Town 9/13
10. Didcot Town 9/13
11. Larkhall Athletic 8/11
12. Shortwood United 8/11
13. North Leigh 9/10
14. Kidlington 7/9
15. Bideford 6/9
16. Cirencester Town 9/9
17. Cinderford Town 7/9
18. Paulton Rovers 7/7
19. Barnstaple Town 9/7
20. Yate Town 9/6
21. Mangotsfield United 8/4
--------------------------------
22. Bishops Cleeve 8/1

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If that was to happen there would be an uproar but no one would be surprised. Martin Gray the favourite for the job

Street word is that Gray is "nailed on" - would be damaging for us but we have been very poor recently. it might be time for a change.

betting market opened at 8/1 for both Gray and Redfern. Gray shortened dramatically quickly to 1/2!

Last edited:

96tommy

Street word is that Gray is "nailed on" - would be damaging for us but we have been very poor recently. it might be time for a change.

betting market opened at 8/1 for both Gray and Redfern. Gray shortened dramatically quickly to 1/2!

Gray is the man and Dave Penney sporting director. Interesting times ahead.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Gray has resigned as darlo manager this afternoon. He was assistant to dave penny when dp was at darlo

Brian Atkinson will step up to Darlo Manger with Sean Gregan as his assistant, at least until the end of the season.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It now seems the compensation for our manager leaving 1 year into a 5 year contract is................. a friendly with York City.

96tommy

It now seems the compensation for our manager leaving 1 year into a 5 year contract is................. a friendly with York City.

Noticed that earlier, fair to say our fans are quite pleased with the deal which has been made. Martin has said he wants to bring in 2/3 players in before our home match v Brackley on Saturday, not sure if any Darlo players interested in the move or not.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Noticed that earlier, fair to say our fans are quite pleased with the deal which has been made. Martin has said he wants to bring in 2/3 players in before our home match v Brackley on Saturday, not sure if any Darlo players interested in the move or not.

Our fans feel we have been screwed and there is a lot of unhappiness about how all this has transpired. I am very suspicious about this move the more and more I read & hear.

Wheatley (CM), Ferguson (LB/LM), Bartlet (GK) & Beck (CF) are our best players. I suspect the first 2 most likely as you already have Parkin so don't need a target man. Unsure what your keeper is like but Bartlett is a proper keeper. I suspect he would take Phil Turnbull but he wants to play p/t.

BTW I don't really care if players leave as long as York pay for them!

roversfan2001

Established Member
The Northern strike means I can't get to the Rovers game tonight :( Instead I'm off to my local team, Bamber Bridge, who are currently 2nd in their league :D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Northern strike means I can't get to the Rovers game tonight :( Instead I'm off to my local team, Bamber Bridge, who are currently 2nd in their league :D

Being: Northern Premier League Division One North ( playing Prescott Cables) You might enjoy it. It is decent honest football played in the right spirit.

PS we won that league. Beat Salford by 14 points.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik First Division North

Hyde United 4...Atherton Collieries 0

The Tuesday night game saw Hyde only manage one goal up to half time, but their pressure (and better fitness than the opposition) saw them score a further three goals in the second half against a mid-table side.

Hyde are now still undefeated this season and in seventh place with one or two games in hand of the sides above them, as a result of winning both the FA Cup qualifying rounds they have played.

backontrack

Established Member
Ronald Koeman for manager of the Dutch national squad.
The problem with Koeman's approach at Everton is, as has oft been mentioned, a serial lack of place. Davy Klaassen, Tom Davies and Gylfi Sigurdsson are not wingers - and we've seen how Wayne Rooney can only really play centre-forward (I wrote a long comment on the Guardian about that, which I might try to dig out later). Only Nikola Vlašić has managed to break into the first XI, and he's only 20.

Does Koeman have no confidence in Lookman, Mirallas and Sandro? Or does he just want to shoehorn all his playmakers into one team? It's one thing to criticise your players' performances, but it's another to try to force square pegs into round holes, which is essentially what he's doing. With all the media attention around Everton joining the top-tier PL sides, he's arguably made signings to suit the club's new image (which apparently means Angry Birds as a sleeve sponsor :eek:) rather than for the overall strength of the team. It's like he always wanted to play Klaassen and Sigurdsson on the wing in the first place, and that he signed them with that in mind. Now he's complaining that they don't fit his desired gameplan. :rolleyes: What was really needed was a new left-back as cover for Leighton Baines and a new CF to replace Romelu Lukaku.

Maybe he could play Seámus Coleman on the wing with Jonjoe Kenny at RB once the former returns to fitness? A good way of injecting some pace into the side, methinks...

Meh, you'll beat us on current form...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
And Darlo are looking for their 4th manager inside a week as Atkinson and Gregan quit:

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/brian-atkinson-and-sean-gregan-depart-the-club/

Following consultation with the National League and the boards of Darlington Football Club and Darlington FCSG, Brian has been told that he must stand down from his role at Darlington FC because of a conflict of interest with his role as a director at the Martin Gray Football Academy.

Sean has decided to leave because he was looking for greater security than the club could offer through a contract until the end of the season.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And Darlo are looking for their 4th manager inside a week as Atkinson and Gregan quit:

http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/brian-atkinson-and-sean-gregan-depart-the-club/

Following consultation with the National League and the boards of Darlington Football Club and Darlington FCSG, Brian has been told that he must stand down from his role at Darlington FC because of a conflict of interest with his role as a director at the Martin Gray Football Academy.

Sean has decided to leave because he was looking for greater security than the club could offer through a contract until the end of the season.
Crikey! That's almost in Leroy Rosenior territory for short reigns in charge!

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 1...AFC Totton 4 (Andrady 58; Gunson 33, 52, 83, Sherborne 90)

Winchester City's league cup campaign came to an early end as a youthful side were outfought by their local rivals. The visitors took the lead in the first half and doubled it in the second before young midfielder Ricardo Andrady pulled a goal back. However, Gunson's third, and a fourth by visitors' star striker Nathaniel Sherborne, gave a scoreline that somewhat flattered the visitors.

Other Results:

Monday:

Dorchester Town 1...Salisbury 2

Tuesday:

Barnstaple Town 0...Tiverton Town 0 (Barnstaple win 3-2 on penalties)

Bideford 2...Taunton Town 2 (Taunton win 5-4 on penalties)

Cinderford Town 3...Slimbridge 2

Cirencester Town 1...Larkhall Athletic 2

Didcot Town 2...Banbury United 2 (Didcot Town win 5-4 on penalties)

Paulton Rovers 1...Frome Town 2

Redditch United 9 (NINE)...Bishops Cleeve 1

Shortwood United 7 (SEVEN)...Merthyr Town 2

Weymouth 3...Wimborne Town 0

Yate Town 1...Bristol Manor Farm 3

Wednesday:

Kidlington 3...Swindon Supermarine 0

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Great performance by England to overcome such a strong side in Slovakia or Slovenia or Slovania. Why do i continue to be amazed by the utter crapness of the England team? couple of minutes to go and we take of fan attacker for a defender to preserve a 0-0 v a poor side. awful.