Football

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MidnightFlyer, 9 Apr 2011.

1. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Which teams still only sell match tickets to members?

Manchester United and Arsenal fall into this category while Liverpool sell memberships then newer members find they still can't get tickets any tickets at all as they don't have enough loyalty points. Rare general sales are restricted to those with L postcodes.

I suspect there must be many other clubs in the Premier League doing similar things.

Membership cards are, in my view, a rip off and an anachronism harking back to the days of Margaret Thatcher and David Evans.

2. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird Established Member

So I am coming at this from a Cardiff point of view, where home tickets do go on general sale eventually if they don't sell out beforehand, but away games are essentially members only.
    If it also applied to home games then my opinion would probably be a bit different. But for the way we do it:

Home games where members get priority over general sale means that longer term fans get priority. If Cardiff put all games on general sale at the sale time as the club members could buy them, then many of those members who have supported the club in the lower leagues too wouldn't be able to get tickets.

And as for postcodes, I agree it is a difficult one (I am a Cardiff fan who may well have a Bristol postcode soon, so that may be fun!) but at the same time making sure away fans don't just buy tickets in the home end is a pretty important thing as not only does it take away tickets from actual home fans but it leads to the potential for issues like what happened at Cardiff during the Man Utd match where a Utd fan got chased out of the ground for celebrating one of the goals.

For loyalty points, we aren't popular enough for that to come into home tickets, but certainly for away tickets it makes perfect sense. Does my dad who makes it to more away games warrant getting priority over me who makes less? Of course he does! As for newer members not being able to get enough points, I don't buy that excuse. We've had some Cardiff fans try to use that to complain about away ticket priorities, yet there have been quite a few games where away tickets have gone on sale to just normal members with no previous away games - the problem is those are the less popular games so they don't want to go to them!

As for them being a rip off? I guess it depends. For me I'd say £25 for priority over general sale and the ability to buy away tickets? Why not! But then again I have my season ticket mainly because of ticket priority these days as I probably don't actually save any money due to games I miss!

3. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

I know Liverpool supporters who have been members for a few seasons who were unable to get tickets for any league games at Anfield this season or last as they didn't have enough loyalty points. The only games they ever get to see are cup ties. And they can't accrue loyalty points as they can't get tickets. Its a Catch 22 situation. Makes me glad in a way that I watch a non-league side (but I'd far rather they were still in the league!).

4. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

I am a Liverpool supporter from Liverpool who gets to go to a good number of home and away games including very high profile games. If you really want to get to a game you can. I have nothing to do with touts and only ever pay face value.

5. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

In English football, it seems that points are quite often lost by teams well placed in the top places in their divisions in what look like easier games, once the mid-January to end-February time period arrives.

6. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Unless that "easier game" is against Huddersfield! :(

7. familyguy99

familyguy99 Member

Big news out of Oldham Athletic is that FA and Football league have given go ahead for Paul Scholes to become new manager at Oldham and probably be confirmed after Crawley match tomorrow afternoon. It be interesting to see how he does at Latics given this be his first management job and I hoping he does good job but half of me feel he be gone at end of season as doesn't go well but hopefully that doesn't happen.

8. Paul Sidorczuk

The Highland League fixture list for today shows a clash of the "bottom two".....Lossiemouth v Fort William. The match was one of the few not to be cancelled because of a frozen pitch in those areas covered by this league.

Result

Lossiemouth 5 ... Fort William 0

Current league standings

Lossiemouth...P26...W2 D1 L23...Goal difference of -89
    Fort William....P24...W0 D2 L22...Goal difference of -154.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2019
  9. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Blyth Spartans 0 v Darlington 1

A great away win against a really good side. For the first time this season we actually fought hard and looked like a team that wanted to defend. Always helps when you get and score a dodgy penalty. Up to the heady heights of 16th and a 9 point gap to the drop zone.

Two new signings in the squad squad: Wilson Kneeshaw (signed for a second time) a tricky skillful centre striker for whom it hasn't really happened and defender Sam Muggleton n loan form Chesterfield. We have also secured centre half Will Smith and skillful centre midfielder Romal Plamer on loan from Barnsley for the rest of the season.

The best news is that man mountain Liam Hughes returned to the club and the starting line up after a month away having treatment for his on going and very difficult mental health issues. it is great to have him back.

10. Modron

Modron Member

I think he'll be a decent appointment - lifelong fan of the club, knowledgeable about the game and his appointment doesn't conflict with his 10% ownership in Salford City.

11. Modron

Modron Member

It looks as if Emiliano Sala died from head and chest injuries, as a result of the well-documented plane crash.

AAIB investigation to take 6-12 months, though interim report due in a fortnight.

Very sad that this footballer has died in such sad and tragic circumstances aged only 28 :(

12. Modron

Modron Member

Hearing that it could be an interesting day for Blackpool FC, as a receiver is set to be appointed as part of the long-running legal dispute between Owen Oyston and Valeri Belokon.

Edit: Looks like Owen Oyston has been removed as Owner and Chairman of the club!

13. familyguy99

familyguy99 Member

Oldham 1-1 Crewe

After very good start for Paul Scholes reign on Tues night, Oldham look on course for third win in row until Crewe scored 93th mins equaliser to ditch Latics all three points.

14. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

David Beckham turned up at his new hobby club Salford today, and amusingly Dover won 3-1, we even gave the home team a goal start :D

15. Paul Sidorczuk

Evo Stik Premier League

Mickleover Sports 0 ... Hyde United 2

An away visit to a bottom-three club proved a tonic for Hyde after some recent poor performances at home and they duly obliged, keeping a clean sheet and moving up to ninth place in the league.

16. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Congratulations to Connahs Quay Nomads who beat Edinburgh City 5-4 on penalties last night to reach the Scottish Challenge Cup Final. Two excellent stops by Bradford's former keeper John Danby in the penalty shoot won the day. There the Nomads will meet Ross County from Dingwall, the most northerly team in the Scottish League. I wonder where they'll play the final?

But despite attracting a club record crowd of just over 1,000, CQN couldn't be bothered producing a programme and just had a small handful of teamsheets which ran out 50 mins before kick off. Disappointing but luckily I got the last one.

I hurried over to Deeside to see the game after seeing Bradford draw 1-1 at Altrincham in a fixture which drew significant media attention as Alty wore rainbow Football against Homophobia shirts. It is difficult to draw conclusions on the basis of a couple of games but, on this evidence, I would say that the standard of play in National League North is slightly higher than the League of Wales and the fourth tier of Scottish football and deserves at least as much press/broadcaster coverage. But having said that Boreham Wood and Sutton United from a division higher didn't get all that far in the Irn Bru Cup.

17. Iskra

Iskra Established Member

£200K fine for Leeds over spygate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47285098

Not sure why the BBC has chosen to include Frank Lampards factually incorrect comments on the matter.

That's an expensive walk on a public footpath...

18. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

If watching the opposition train is against the rules, why do clubs employ so many scouts?

I'm pretty sure things like what Leeds did happen all the time. Watching an opponent train isn't the same as planting a bug in their dressing room to listen in. As much as it pains me I feel Bielsa (and Leeds) have been made an example of here, and unfairly so.

19. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Some news out of Darlo today: Loan signing Sam Muggleton, who is on loan from Chesterfield, suffered a fractured femur and has suffered three ruptured ligaments; his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), his posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and lateral colateral ligament (LCL). He has also suffered a tear on his knee tendon in a collision in the 0- 0 match versus Southport on Saturday

This really is a terrible injury.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2019 at 09:34
  20. Paul Sidorczuk

In tonights Champion League matches, I suppose both the away teams would have been satisfied with the 0-0 scoreline.

21. Paul Sidorczuk

Perhaps I am mistaken (and willing to be corrected) but was it not the case that the rules do state a period of time prior to a match that such an embargo so applies?

22. JamesT

JamesT Member

I’ve seen it said that a 0-0 is not necessarily a bad score line for the home side. Any score draw in the second leg will take them through, so they have more opportunities to progress.

23. Paul Sidorczuk

Liverpool's recent away matches in the current 2018-9 Champions League include the following results:-
    Lost 0-1 to Napoli
    Lost 0-2 to Red Star Belgrade
    Lost 1-2 to Paris St Germain

Statistically in recent times in the Champions League, of all the 31 home sides who drew 0-0 in the first leg in the knock-out stages, only 10 of these of these actually progressed to the next round, after the second away leg was played.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2019 at 15:27
  24. Groningen

Groningen Established Member

The second best player of the Netherlands is celebrating his 75th birthday today and is his name is William van Hanegem.

25. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Established Member

Bizarrely, I don't want Liverpool out. Keeping them in the UCL keeps them away from throwing all their efforts at the league.

26. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

a man who hated Germans. ( see 1974 world cup comments)

27. JamesT

JamesT Member

Also the more English teams that go further in Europe, the better the ranking which feeds into how many teams and what stage they start in for future seasons.

28. Paul Sidorczuk

In another Champions League match against a German side, Manchester City proved the old adage correct last night of keeping playing until the final whistle blows, coming back from 1-2 down to win 3-2 with two goals scored after the 85th minute.

29. Groningen

Groningen Established Member

What a difference the games between Tuesday and Wednesday were. OK 0 - 0 can also be nice, but you still like to see goals.

30. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

The second legs will be tough.