• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Not sure if it's a record but Derby went 36 league games and almost a full year without a league win between beating Newcastle in the PL on 17/09/07 and beating Sheffield United in the Championship on 14/09/08.

I seem to remember that Derby County finished the season in the top flight on a not so hefty 11 points.

It was either Sunderland or Middlesbrough that finished on 15 points during one of their spells in the top flight previous to Derby finishing on 11 points.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

youngiecj

York 0 Boston 1. A great away win for the Pilgrims with a makeshift defence. A midfielder at CB and a RB/LB signed in the last few days/weeks. Best performance I’ve seen us for years ending York’s 12 game unbeaten run in the process.

York’s new ground was quite tidy if a bit soulless and £20 for this level of football is a disgrace!

No doubt watch us mess it up at Darlo on Saturday.

Mike99

Hi, As far as I can see the Aston Villa v Burnley fixture which was postponed from December has yet to be played (or indeed, according to BBC Sport given a date for the match to be played), the reverse fixture is scheduled for May 7th. I'm wondering if this is the latest in the season (heading into April) that a first Premiership meeting of a season between two sides has yet to take place.

RichJF

The last time Italy played a knockout game in the World Cup was...

The final in Germany 2006 which they won. They'll have waited at least 20 years for their next.

More bizarre that they won Euro 2020(1)! Team is stacked with world class players, but I guess they have no reliable, prolific striker.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Gibraltar - FIFA World Ranking 203 out of 210 - end a run of 7 consecutive defeats with two 0-0 draws this week - v Grenada on Wednesday and today v Faroe Islands, rankings 169 and 124 respectively.

Meanwhile Stockport County are literally flying!

Significantly cheaper than by rail apparently!

Last edited:

youngiecj

Darlington 2 Boston 1. As predicted another away defeat in the North East. Our record up there is terrible!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington 2 Boston 1. As predicted another away defeat in the North East. Our record up there is terrible!
We are on a good run at home but we often find Boston a tricky team so I was pleased to get the win. We should have won by more. I dont think I have ever seen us win at Boston.

youngiecj

We are on a good run at home but we often find Boston a tricky team so I was pleased to get the win. We should have won by more. I dont think I have ever seen us win at Boston.
I have only seen us win once at Darlington. Our first away win in the football league in 2002 at the old Feethams Ground. Frustrating season this year, with the squad we have we really should be challenging for the title, sadly they just don't look like a team.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have only seen us win once at Darlington. Our first away win in the football league in 2002 at the old Feethams Ground. Frustrating season this year, with the squad we have we really should be challenging for the title, sadly they just don't look like a team.
strange isn't it - When we were in the league Torquay was the same for us.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
John Sheridan is now in his fourth term of managership at Oldham Athletic and in his first five matches, they have won three and drawn two and are now out of the bottom two.
How things can change. Since writing the posting above, they have lost six consecutive league matches and are back in the dreaded bottom two positions.

Loppylugs

How things can change. Since writing the posting above, they have lost six consecutive league matches and are back in the dreaded bottom two positions.
I'm not surprised. Ask any Swindon Town supporter about him and they will tell you what a foul-mouthed, insidious character he is. Hard to see how any footballer would want to play for him. Good luck Oldham!

SteveM70

Established Member
I'm not surprised. Ask any Swindon Town supporter about him and they will tell you what a foul-mouthed, insidious character he is. Hard to see how any footballer would want to play for him. Good luck Oldham!

Does he still like a pint or ten a few days a week?

brad465

Established Member
England are in Group B and our first game will be against Iran, in a group that also has the USA and one of Wales/Scotland/Ukraine. What's interesting about this is if one of the other home nations is in this group, they won't be England's fiercest rival.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Some very odd groups have come out of that very ponderous draw.
The big winners appear to be the Dutch, helped by the bizarre decision to have the hosts Qatar seeded.

If recent events were to be fresh in the mind, I'd say Iran; in a similar way to England having a rivalry with Argentina that's partly fuelled by geopolitical events.
Iran v. USA will be the "grudge match" in group B. Think the last time they met at a World Cup (France 98 iirc), Iran managed the win.

gnolife

Established Member
Some very odd groups have come out of that very ponderous draw.
The big winners appear to be the Dutch, helped by the bizarre decision to have the hosts Qatar seeded.
There's nothing bizarre about having the hosts seeded - it happens every time, and I believe that since 2006, they've always been assigned group A as well.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
the hosts are always seeded these days. Usually the hosts are a country with some football pedigree.......................

England are in Group B and our first game will be against Iran, in a group that also has the USA
they will be dancing ( on burning flags?) in the streets of Tehran tonight: The great Satan and Little Satan in the same group!

SteveM70

Established Member
The hosts shouldn’t be seeded; they should go into whatever pot their ranking merits. Seeding Qatar in pot one has essentially forced a top tier side into pot two, one from two to three, one from three to four, and given Qatar an easier draw than they have any right to expect. And they still have no real chance of qualifying from group A.

In my parallel world, England will make Nazanin Zahari-Ratcliffe their mascot for the Iran game :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's nothing bizarre about having the hosts seeded - it happens every time, and I believe that since 2006, they've always been assigned group A as well.
I guess what makes it bizarre is that it's Qatar: a nation with almost no footballing pedigree other than being the whipping boys of the very first FIFA video game. Hope the Dutch rack up a cricket score against them just to wipe the smile off Infantino's corrupt face.

SteveM70

Established Member
it is to give them a chance to get through and keep local interest going. Like everything with FIFA it is bent as a £9 note.

I suspect the average Qatari knows more about footballers from other countries than the proud heroes about to represent Qatar on the world stage

gnolife

Established Member
I guess what makes it bizarre is that it's Qatar: a nation with almost no footballing pedigree other than being the whipping boys of the very first FIFA video game. Hope the Dutch rack up a cricket score against them just to wipe the smile off Infantino's corrupt face.
South Africa, Japan, and South Korea are scarcely footballing powerhouses (to list examples from the past 20 years)