• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Dear oh dear.... :rolleyes:

Grantham Town 2 ... Hyde United 0
:D One of only three home wins all season. With the burden of their fate settled, it possibly allowed the Gingerbreads to play passing football. As the BBC local radio correspondent put it: "one pass, two passes, green shirt." Many games this season has seen the first pass go awry.

GS250

Just noticed that Dagenham & Redbridge are beating Barnet 7-3

Good old Dean Brennan. The man who won Wealdstone a Conference South League title in 2020, but has absolutely refused to acknowledge that at National League level you need to organise a defense and now finds himself conceding 13 goals in 2 games as Barnet manager. His previous assistant at Wealdstone, Stuart Maynard is now managing the Stones and has guided his team to safety as one of the few part time clubs in the National League. Including beating former Football League club Southend United yesterday 1-0.

Markdvdman

Liverpool beat Man City 3-2 to get to the final. I am a Liverpool fan but the difference was in the keepers! Liverpool picked their number 1 - Man City did not. Steffan gifted Mané's first goal the his second was wonderful. Ally made two terrific saves to ensure Liverpool won. Fine margins at the top end!!

EastisECML

Blyth making some sort of effort to not be the worst team in the National League North for the third season in a row by beating a team doing slightly better (were), Farsley, 2-1 on Saturday.

Away to 12th place Spennymoor Town tomorrow. Only got our first win against them towards the end of last year and yet to beat them away. Although we've won plenty of times at Brewery Field before against Spennymoor United. Not sure what our record against Evenwood Town was before they became Spennymoor Town.

GS250

Blyth making some sort of effort to not be the worst team in the National League North for the third season in a row by beating a team doing slightly better (were), Farsley, 2-1 on Saturday.

Away to 12th place Spennymoor Town tomorrow. Only got our first win against them towards the end of last year and yet to beat them away. Although we've won plenty of times at Brewery Field before against Spennymoor United. Not sure what our record against Evenwood Town was before they became Spennymoor Town.
That NLN is a tough league. Woe betide any BELT that ends up in there. Just look at York City......

Iskra

Established Member
Derby County relegated to League One. Seems a very long time since they were celebrating on the pitch at Elland Road like they'd won something :D

youngiecj

Brackley 0 Boston 1. Massive result for the Yellows, firmly putting the playoffs in our hands. Another massive match Saturday against AFC Fylde.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Xenophon PCDGS will no doubt be delighted that Hyde United got the point they needed to avoid any remaining thoughts of relegation from the Northern Premier League, this following a 2-2 home draw against Stalybridge Celtic.

Hyde could yet still finish third bottom, which in most seasons would mean automatic relegation, but due to league restructuring, their superior points per game record compared with others means that this year they will be one of the teams who are reprieved.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Oldham Athletic, after Monday's results in League 2, have three matches to play and are four points from safety. If they do go out of the Football League, will they be the first team who have played in the Premier League to suffer such a fate?
Reckon so. Certainly will be the first to go out of the English Football League after playing in the Premier League, if, of course, they do so. :(

Derby County relegated to League One. Seems a very long time since they were celebrating on the pitch at Elland Road like they'd won something :D
What a cracker at Reading.

Watching Forest vs West Brom and I must say that I wouldn't mind seeing Forest in the Premier League

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 5...Lymington Town 1

AFC Totton 0...Sholing 1

Winchester City make it into the playoffs with a game to spare.

Pl. Plymouth Parkway P35 +49 78pts
---------------------------------------------
Pl. Frome Town P35 +41 75pts
Pl. Cirencester Town P35 +45 74pts
Pl. Winchester City P35 +46 70pts
5. Bristol Manor Farm P35 +23 68pts
---------------------------------------------
6. AFC Totton P35 +44 65pts

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Oldham Athletic, after Monday's results in League 2, have three matches to play and are four points from safety. If they do go out of the Football League, will they be the first team who have played in the Premier League to suffer such a fate?

Reckon so. Certainly will be the first to go out of the English Football League after playing in the Premier League, if, of course, they do so. :(

I think Luton Town were founding members of the PL back in 1992, but they may have been one of the sides that were relegated before the inaugural season had started in August of that year.

Leeds United fans will be aware that since the PL was founded in 1992, there has been no English manager that has ever won the top flight division (although there were 2 from Scotland that did - Alex Ferguson several times with Man Utd, and Kenny Dalglish with Blackburn Rovers in 1995).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think Luton Town were founding members of the PL back in 1992, but they may have been one of the sides that were relegated before the inaugural season had started in August of that year.

Leeds United fans will be aware that since the PL was founded in 1992, there has been no English manager that has ever won the top flight division (although there were 2 from Scotland that did - Alex Ferguson several times with Man Utd, and Kenny Dalglish with Blackburn Rovers in 1995).
Luton Town have never been in the Premier League. They were relegated from Division One in May 1992.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
@Xenophon PCDGS will no doubt be delighted that Hyde United got the point they needed to avoid any remaining thoughts of relegation from the Northern Premier League, this following a 2-2 home draw against Stalybridge Celtic.

Hyde could yet still finish third bottom, which in most seasons would mean automatic relegation, but due to league restructuring, their superior points per game record compared with others means that this year they will be one of the teams who are reprieved.
Hyde United have announced that Nick Spooner, who was brought in as interim manager until the end of the season after the Gannon fiasco, has been appointed as manager for next season.

The final match of the season for the third and fourth bottom teams of the Premier Division are both away matches for Hyde United and for Basford United:-
Hyde United are away to FC United of Manchester
Basford United are away to Witton Albion

ash39

Established Member

Lampard was naive to let his players do that. Neither club nor manager have covered themselved in glory since, so a little embarassing for all of them involved.

I don't like to see any club suffer due to mismanagement or off-field issues, as it's the fans who end up suffering long after the people who got them into the mess have moved on, but I am finding it hard to muster up any sympathy for Derby County.

Rooney deserves respect for sticking by them despite the obvious difficulties, and reported interest from Everton earlier in the season. I'm sure they will be back, but there are many teams in League One I'd sooner have back than Derby. Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich to name a few.

Typhoon

Established Member
Rooney deserves respect for sticking by them despite the obvious difficulties, and reported interest from Everton earlier in the season. I'm sure they will be back, but there are many teams in League One I'd sooner have back than Derby. Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich to name a few.
And it is extremely unlikely that more than one will be returning to the Championship this time - and the 'one' would probably be by the play offs. League One seems to be attracting sleeping giants - adding Portsmouth, Bolton and, possibly, Charlton to your list.

ash39

Established Member
Arguably Wigan Athletic too, they spent a lot of time in the Premier League. Unfortunately as Sunderland have found out over recent seasons, and I went through with my own Leeds team over the past couple of decades, no team has a given right to be in the top flight. You have to earn it on merit regardless of past glories or fanbase size.

Typhoon

Established Member
Arguably Wigan Athletic too, they spent a lot of time in the Premier League. Unfortunately as Sunderland have found out over recent seasons, and I went through with my own Leeds team over the past couple of decades, no team has a given right to be in the top flight. You have to earn it on merit regardless of past glories or fanbase size.
My reason for excluding them is that Wigan's moments in the sun have been more recent (and it looks likely that they will escape). The others look likely to spend another year in League 1 for the most part. Ipswich time has been '62 onwards, the rest earlier. And, without looking, some have spent more than a couple of years at that level.

GS250

Halifax 2 - 0 Chesterfield

Massive win against a playoff rival

National League is a fantastic division. For the BELTs it's an absolute bun fight to escape from. For the traditional non league sides it's a dream come true to rub shoulders with the big boys.

You've done a job on us (Wealdstone) twice this season. From what I saw Halifax are nothing flash....but press hard and are physically big and strong all over the pitch. We have some decent footballers but struggle against the likes of yourself.

SteveM70

Established Member
National League is a fantastic division. For the BELTs it's an absolute bun fight to escape from. For the traditional non league sides it's a dream come true to rub shoulders with the big boys.

You've done a job on us (Wealdstone) twice this season. From what I saw Halifax are nothing flash....but press hard and are physically big and strong all over the pitch. We have some decent footballers but struggle against the likes of yourself.

We’ve got a fantastic young manager in Pete Wild and he’s recruited brilliantly. I’m not sure we’re particularly a physically big side, but we’re fit and as you say we press high up. We’ve got a couple of very good footballers, especially Matty Warburton - when he plays well, town play well.

And we don’t give in. The Notts County game showed that - 0-2 down at home after an hour and down to ten men, and somehow won it 3-2 with a 90+10 winner. Teams that aren’t “teams” don’t do that

DannyMich2018

A massive win for Liverpool tonight against Man U at Anfield. Not a great few weeks for Ralph Ragnick's team and fans particularly following the defeat against Everton and only just beating Norwich. Liverpool are on fire at the min and wouldn't be surprised if they win the PL.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A bad week for Darlo. 2 defeats and a dull draw means a serious blow in our unlikely paly off hunt.

Alfreton 0 v Darlington 0 (We never get anything of this lot)

Darlington 0 v Curzon Ashton 2
( we never get anything off this lot either)

Gateshead 4 v Darlington 2 ( 2-0 up at HT and shipped 4 second half goals. ffs)

A massive win for Liverpool tonight against Man U at Anfield. Not a great few weeks for Ralph Ragnick's team and fans particularly following the defeat against Everton and only just beating Norwich. Liverpool are on fire at the min and wouldn't be surprised if they win the PL.
I was hoping for 5

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

It’s quite the reversal of fortunes over the last decade or so. Add in Manchester City’s recent success and it can’t have been a great feeling supporting United of late…

There was a time that if your team was playing Manchester United you’d have been pleased as punch to have got away with a draw.
Tonight felt like a case of how many would Liverpool be able to add to their goal tally.
A draw or a loss wasn’t even on the cards for The Reds this evening...