• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

richw

Veteran Member
The pitch England played on on Friday was pretty much league 1 standard I think from watching the game.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Darlington recovered well today by beating Consett 5-0, which makes up for losing your 100% record at Guisborough Town by 1-4. How is life in the Northern League Division 1 and what is your squad like this season ?

Incidentally, is there any truth in the rumour I heard that West Auckland Town thrashed South Shields 11-0 in the midweek fixture. Was this their first team or one of the lower level ones ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

dave6023

Oxford 2 - 0 Swindon (HT)
(Constable sent off 15 mins for Oxford)

Fans were singing there's only one ball boy since said ball boy is proving slow to give the ball back to Swindon.

Actually it was an Oxford goal kick, the ball boy ( an OUFC youth team player) was just trying to eat up a bit of time! Ritchie the S*****n player involved was well out of order

To quote Max Boyce "I know, I was there" - amazing atmosphere - Dick Canio is such a clown:lol:

BTW - I am an OXFORD supporter if you hadn't already guessed:D
COME ON YOU YELLOWS
Following the JTP match on Wednesday Dick Canio has failed in 3 attempts to beat the Mighty Yellows

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just as the new league season gets under way and team supporters begin to really immerse themselves in the usual bout of conspiracy theories, management criticism and the usual questioning of the abilities of match referees and officials, then along comes the World Cup group stage qualifiers and suddenly, there seems to be a void....:D

I note that Robin van Persie was withdrawn during a Netherlands World Cup qualifier match as a precaution said to be to protect an injury incurred in the match. I suppose there will be those who now say that the influence of a certain Scottish manager of an English Premiership club had much to do with that decision. Whatever would we do without conspiracy theories in football...:D

If there was ever a league table based upon the number of circulating conspiracy theories concerning English Premiership clubs, I wonder who would be the clear leader at the top of this league ?

Oswyntail

Established Member
.....If there was ever a league table based upon the number of circulating conspiracy theories concerning English Premiership clubs, I wonder who would be the clear leader at the top of this league ?
You would have to have two leagues - theories for and theories against each club - though I suspect a certain choleric Scotsman would take both trophies each year.

Butts

Veteran Member
What on earth is Lee Dixon doing on ITV ?????

Did he not see what happened to Des Lynham , Morecambe and Wise et al :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Ok, some of those had to leave, as they wanted more money than Scunthorpe could afford, but to rip the backbone out of a team and replace them with players who before now had only played in League 2, or spent a lot of their career in non-league or playing at a low level in a different country is asking for trouble.

Well then, after all the doom and gloom this season, you did in fact record your first league win of the new season yesterday.

Ferret

Established Member
Unbelievably, Aston Villa won yesterday! And kept a clean sheet. A true collector's item.......

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oldham Athletic, with the aid of some of their new loan signings, managed to show some better committment and team co-ordination against the league leaders, Notts County, in the 2-2 home draw yesterday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At the rate Scunthorpe Utd are going, we'll be playing Hyde next season in League 2, and Scunny will lose!

I am looking forward to the visit of Scunthorpe United to Oldham Athletic this coming Tuesday night to see which team will decide to do something positive to put smiles on the faces of their supporters.
*****************************************************************************************

Since Reading were promoted to the Premiership, have they not been favoured with many fixtures on a Saturday in many games when you can compare their result with all the other teams who play on a Saturday....or does it just seem like that to me ?

D

donnypilgrim

love footy - although supporting boston united might contavene trades decription in recent years.
question: which football grounds can we see trains passing??;)

VanDiesel

I can think of a few members on here, yet trains and footy never seem to be two things that go together...

Not unless you count the old Footbal Specials. Do they still run them, or was the mortality rate too high?

Just seen the 'penalty' that Man Utd got at the weekend. To say it was sickening was kind.

Travelled all the way down to Cardiff at the weekend, had a nice night there and watched Super Leeds United go down to a 2-1 defeat. Pitiful performance really, yes Cardiff's penalty was a bit soft (although by Man Utd standards it was a stone-waller) and they were lucky to have 11 men on the pitch after Mutch's disgraceful tackle on young Sam Byram but even then Leeds wouldn't have got a result. Just simply not good enough, the midfield is so weak. We need investment, quickly.

Ferret

Established Member
I don't know which was worse....the penalty decision or the attempt to score from it...:roll:

Justice was seemed to be served by the penalty save, so they achieved nothing in the end.

When will the FA grow a pair and give people 3 match bans for cheating like this? That would soon put a stop to it.

CC 72100

Established Member
When will the FA grow a pair and give people 3 match bans for cheating like this? That would soon put a stop to it.

Even as a United fan, I was appalled by Welbeck's dive. That was as theatric as they get. Not good to see, whether it could have brought us an advantage or not.

Exeter City - St James Park. Stand in the Big Bank end behind one of the goals, good view over the railway station which shares the name, and you can make out what's passing etc. Sometimes this is more interesting to do than watch the game, some of the football can be of poor quality from time to time!:p

Ferret

Established Member
Even as a United fan, I was appalled by Welbeck's dive. That was as theatric as they get. Not good to see, whether it could have brought us an advantage or not.

Ashley Young's influence it seems!

Chapeltom

Established Member
I went down to Brighton & Hove Albion v Sheffield Wednesday on Friday to see us get tonked 3-0 and get outplayed, outclassed, out everything! Went back to a mate's flat in East London for a few hours, up at 5am and took myself up to Kendal after visiting Lake Windermere. Due to traffic my intended game between Kendal Town and North Ferriby was delayed by 1.5 hours, so saw a local league game between Kendal Utd and Lunesdale Utd, ending 4-1. I eventually saw the match between Kendal Town and North Ferriby, it ended 4-2 to the visitors, a classic old ground and a superb game of football.

Not a bad couple of days, 3 matches and about 660 miles covered by train :) loads of new track!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
love footy - although supporting boston united might contavene trades decription in recent years.

Easier to list the ones where you cant!

Even as a United fan
In Exeter & Gloucestershire? - that IS a surprise. Season ticket for the Mighty Red Devils is it? - Support your local team :roll:

EDIT - Rant about plastic PL fans deleted as it was unfair on the kid.

CC 72100

Established Member
Easier to list the ones where you cant!

In Exeter & Gloucestershire? - that IS a surprise. Season ticket for the Mighty Red Devils is it? - Support your local team :roll:

EDIT - Rant about plastic PL fans deleted as it was unfair on the kid.

Not this one again :roll: Already 'explained' myself on this thread once before.

Dad's a Man Utd fan (and always has been) so when I started following football, it was natural that I'd become a United fan myself. We've both been up to Old Trafford couple of times a season, although I'll admit I haven't been since 2010 as getting from Exeter to Manchester would prove difficult and the tickets weren't becoming available with sufficient notice to make arrangements to get up there.

Actively support local football teams - Hereford United who I have followed for a number of years and where I saw my first club game (First ever game was an England friendly at OT) and I've now adopted Exeter as a local team whilst down at Uni - and that's where you'll find me tomorrow night at the game against Wycombe.

Does that explain it now? I don't see the need to have a go at me for supporting United (not the first to have done it on the thread) and judge me on that? You should never have to justify the reason for supporting your football team(s) but now you have the evidence and some facts.

Last edited:

valenta

Just about passed out watching the Newcastle match, with two late goals and three disallowed for Everton.

Ivo

Established Member
Not happy. Not happy at all. The chant "The referee's (assistant's?) a Liverpool fan!" comes to mind.

OK, our first goal, right at the start, should have been disallowed. But the other two? Idiots. Nothing wrong with them whatsoever, and the same assistant in both instances. And then, never mind all the other errors the officials made, immediately after the goal-that-wasn't, to prevent Newcastle from what could easily have been a good 1-2 lead was ridiculous! It's like he wanted to be the centre of attention. He should have allowed Ba through and booked Pienaar later (not that said challenge should have happened in the first place).

On the plus side, good to see Steve Harper in goal again, and full credit to the man's honour and honesty. A real good guy of the game, he never complains when left out - and showcased what sportsmanship is all about by insisting that a foul on him by Anichebe was an accidental collision and never worthy of a booking.

Oh, and seen as I've been so quiet of late, a good and fully deserved result against United, another such result against Villa, and an unfortunate loss against an effective West Brom. A dcent start so far, notwithstanding the officials' hopelessness tonight.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe Steve Harper is the most named substitute in Premier League history, though I may be wrong.