• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SS4

Established Member
This is not going to end well for West Brom...

edit: I stand by what I said (for now)

edit 2: I was wrong, thankfully they still lost though

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Burnley's 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic will see them back in the Premiership next season

And they played well today, especially in the first half, although Wigan helped by not turning up. The opening goal was swift one touch stuff, and a good free kick to follow. Glad to have visited Turf Moor before the prices go up next season, only four more league grounds to visit now. Only snag is I am still travelling home :|

Smudger105e

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27107795

David Moyes: Manchester United manager sacked by club

Manchester United manager David Moyes has been sacked, only 10 months after succeeding Sir Alex Ferguson.

He was dismissed at a meeting with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward at the club's Carrington training ground shortly after 0800 BST.

Moyes, 50, was chosen by Ferguson as the man to succeed him when he retired after 26 years in charge last summer.

Player-coach Ryan Giggs is expected to take charge of United's next game at home against Norwich on Saturday.

The BBC understands coaches Steve Round and Jimmy Lumsden have also left their posts.

The club had previously refused to comment on national newspaper reports on Monday that Moyes - who left Everton to sign a six-year deal with the Premier League champions - would be dismissed before the end of the season.

But in a statement on Tuesday the club said it "would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role".

Netherlands coach Louis Van Gaal, Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp, Atletico Madrid's manager Diego Simeone and Paris Saint-Germain's Laurent Blanc have already been tipped as possible successors to Moyes.

United, who currently lie seventh in the table with four games remaining, are guaranteed to record their lowest ever points tally in the Premier League having struggled at Old Trafford in particular this season.

Man Utd's disappointing season
Defeated in Champions League quarter-final by Bayern Munich
Beaten in League Cup semi-final by Sunderland
Lost at home to Swansea in the third round of the FA Cup
Five points from a possible 24 against the current Premier League top four of Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal
Defeat against Everton confirmed club will miss out on Champions League for first time in 18 seasons

Under Moyes, they have lost six league games at home, been beaten in the FA Cup by Swansea at Old Trafford and were unable to prevent Sunderland knocking them out of the Capital One Cup in the semi-finals.

In March, some supporters chartered a plane to fly overhead trailing a banner with the words "Wrong One - Moyes Out" - a reference to the banner at Old Trafford that proclaimed Moyes to be the "Chosen One" - during the Premier League win over Aston Villa.

The Reds will also miss out on Champions League football for the first time since 1995 and are in danger of missing out on European competition altogether for the first time since 1990.

United did reach the last eight of the Champions League before being knocked out by Bayern Munich and Moyes argued that their best displays had been in the competition.

But the Scot has been dogged by claims he has fallen out with members of his squad.

When midfielder Anderson joined Fiorentina on loan in January, he was quoted as saying other United players "wanted out" although he later denied it.

Rio Ferdinand and Robin van Persie also made less than complimentary comments about his management style, while Javier Hernandez and Wilfried Zaha posted cryptic quotes on Twitter.

Last edited:

Oswyntail

Established Member
Player-coach Ryan Giggs is expected to take charge of United's next game at home against Norwich on Saturday....
But the Scot has been dogged by claims he has fallen out with members of his squad....
Anyone reminded of Chelsea, where the revolting players agitated to get their mate Di Matteo put in charge. Proved to be not much cop.
And, when there is any trouble around, why is it no surprise Rio Ferdinand is rentaquote? (Remember England?)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Will the temporary appointment clash with any Ryan Giggs involvement with the Salford City FC matter that he and fellow players were quoted as taking over ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I see that the share price of the Manchester United shares actually rose by 6% on the New York stock exchange after news of Moyes' sacking was formally announced.

richw

Veteran Member
Will the temporary appointment clash with any Ryan Giggs involvement with the Salford City FC matter that he and fellow players were quoted as taking over ?
I see that the share price of the Manchester United shares actually rose by 6% on the New York stock exchange after news of Moyes' sacking was formally announced.

The shares fell by similar amount when he was appointed. Tells us. What stock market thinks of him.

Butts

Veteran Member
I don't think that David Moyes would not have been all that well known to the New York stock market when he was appointed.

They may as well have made you Manager sacked you after 10 months and handed you £10 Million Plus for your troubles.....:p

I'm sure you wouldn't have made any more of a hash of it !!!

Johnuk123

Established Member
Giggs has a lot of experience of playing away from home so that should be a big help.

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
How ironic. For eleven years David Moyes tried to get Everton to finish above Manchester United in the league table. Now he has finally achieved that ambition, and he gets the sack.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well done Chelsea holding Athletico 0-0 in Madrid despite losing Cech and Terry.

Just hope they are tired for Sundays encounter at Anfield :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
I think Chelsea have given up on the Premier League by what Mourinho has said.

Psychological mind games surely? Just what he is known for.

I see FA have charged 3 Chelsea staff for conduct on Sunday including mourinho for his post match comments.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Real Madrid 1....Bayern Munich 0

This should ensure an interesting return match in Germany, with a place in the final being the prize for the winners.
Away from all the financial frippery, tomorrow sees a Highland League bottom versus top match. Fort William (goal difference of -86) at home to Brora Rangers (goal difference of 102)

Fort William 2...Brora Rangers 5

A most credible performance last night by Fort William, as last season, one would have expected one of those scorelines that the Highland League are famous for and one that Droylsden in England recently posted.

Last edited:

BlythPower

I'm surprised our Scottish correspondents haven't mentioned this.

He also warned that Rangers would not survive a second administration.

Additionally, a senior source within Ibrox has described the League One champions as "being on a life-support machine".

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Indeed. Yesterday's comments on our financial statement were pretty grim but Jardine's passing was something else altogether. RIP to a genuinely nice bloke, the very definition of a legend, and alongside Ally and John Greig probably Rangers's greatest ever player. Thoughts with his family and friends. :(

Eng274

£70 million frittered away in just under 2 years, and what do they have to show for it? Two lower league titles that could've easily been won by a competent manager with 5% of that spending budget. Good luck to them in the first division, Raith Rovers, Hamilton and Falkirk will not be a walk in the park :lol:

CallySleeper

Established Member
IMO Sunderland are safe. Quote this when they get relegated.

Scunthorpe's 28 unbeaten run is over.

Forest officially out of the playoffs, though I could have told you this a month or two ago.

A great afternoon of football.

Last edited:

familyguy99

Rushall 0-1 Droylsden!

Droylsden fc have won for second time this season :D

Also been good day for other Tameside club as Stalybridge beat Workington 2-0 and because Oxford city could only draw 1-1 it mean Stalybridge avoid relegation on last day of season.

More good news (well for me) Oldham also won 1-0 this afternoon which mean they are safe for over season plus we are ending season well as Oldham are unbeaten in 8 matches and have keep clean sheet in last three matches too. :D

Also well done to Rochdale and Scunthorpe who are promotion back to League One because Fleetwood could only draw this afternoon, I happy to see Rochdale are going to be playing in League One as it mean local derby for Oldham and Rochdale again.

Last edited: