• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
We haven't been good enough all season, today wasn't where it was lost for us the results against Yeovil & Barnsley at home did it.

One question, why does half of the football league seem to hate us?? It's quite funny the amount of hate we get from other fans!! :D

I don't know about the other teams but I have heard of grumbles of Johnny-come-lately in reference to a large section of the Reading support, who were nowhere to be seen when you were mainly in the lower leagues and yet to move from Elm Park.

As to us, ask any Bournemouth supporter and the answer would likely be similar. Most will tell you to cast your eyes back to the last game of 00/01 season. It was made worse by the belief that had we made the play-offs that year, we would be playing Reading again in the semis, and the form we were in at that time, we would have stood a very good chance of promotion, but it wasn't to be. I don't think many of us "hate" Reading per se, but this seems like "revenge" for that game. ;)

It then got even worse when you got that sinfully boring Adkins in as manager, who in his Stains days occupied much of the wavelengths of Radio Solent, and bore both sides of the river to death with his interviews. Even Dave Merrington was more preferred over him, and that is saying something.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_Lad

I don't know about the other teams but I have heard of grumbles of Johnny-come-lately in reference to a large section of the Reading support, who were nowhere to be seen when you were mainly in the lower leagues and yet to move from Elm Park.

As to us, ask any Bournemouth supporter and the answer would likely be similar. Most will tell you to cast your eyes back to the last game of 00/01 season. It was made worse by the belief that had we made the play-offs that year, we would be playing Reading again in the semis, and the form we were in at that time, we would have stood a very good chance of promotion, but it wasn't to be. I don't think many of us "hate" Reading per se, but this seems like "revenge" for that game. ;)

It then got even worse when you got that sinfully boring Adkins in as manager, who in his Stains days occupied much of the wavelengths of Radio Solent, and bore both sides of the river to death with his interviews. Even Dave Merrington was more preferred over him, and that is saying something.

Well I can't comment on that season as I started watching Reading in 2001 but any club will gain more fans with new stadium. Personally I'm not a fan of the Madjeski, I prefer the old style grounds but it was the only option to gain fans.

We have always had a main core fanbase of around 10k, now about 15-16k due to promotions etc but we have never claimed to be a 'big club'. When the likes of Forest & Leeds cling on to European glories of 20-30 years ago we are just happy to be fighting for the playoffs!! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

He may be boring but he is a damn good manager and good managers have dreary voices aka Steve Coppell!!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Seems neither Man Utd nor Spurs want the last Europa League place with todays performances.

It's Spurs place to lose, they only need a point from their last game, but even if they fail Man Utd still have to win both of their remaining games and that won't be easy because one of them is at home.

LBSCR Times

We haven't been good enough all season, today wasn't where it was lost for us the results against Yeovil & Barnsley at home did it.

One question, why does half of the football league seem to hate us?? It's quite funny the amount of hate we get from other fans!! :D

Probably for the same reason the other half hate us......
Yes, the team that pipped you to the Play-Offs!!

David

Established Member

He may be boring and say the same things week in, week out, but he is 1 of the top managers in England who is capable of getting the best out of the players he has available to him. However, this season, I don't think Adkins has had the best mix of players hence the mixed results at times ...

Anyway, the battle of best Yorkshire and Humber team in League 1 will be tasty next season, with Chesterfield and Scunthorpe getting promoted from League 2, Doncaster and Barnsley getting relegated from the Championship, Sheffield Unt and possibly Rotherham Utd in the mix as well, and not forgetting York City who could yet gain promotion via the play offs from League 2.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well I can't comment on that season as I started watching Reading in 2001 but any club will gain more fans with new stadium. Personally I'm not a fan of the Madjeski, I prefer the old style grounds but it was the only option to gain fans.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with higher attendances as you progress up the league. It will be the same with every team. It's just something I seem to be hearing a lot from people re: Reading.

We have always had a main core fanbase of around 10k, now about 15-16k due to promotions etc but we have never claimed to be a 'big club'. When the likes of Forest & Leeds cling on to European glories of 20-30 years ago we are just happy to be fighting for the playoffs!! :D

In my mind Reading is still part of the Division Three old boys due to the long history between the two clubs. I still have vague memory of going to Elm Park. Funny how a few of our folks always thought that Reading only stopped being a lower league nobody club after running into a bit of dosh from a very rich chairman and that it'll probably end in tears once the money's not there. Now that we are in exactly the same boat, no one seems to be complaining. :lol:

He may be boring but he is a damn good manager and good managers have dreary voices aka Steve Coppell!!

He may be boring and say the same things week in, week out, but he is 1 of the top managers in England who is capable of getting the best out of the players he has available to him. However, this season, I don't think Adkins has had the best mix of players hence the mixed results at times ...

I didn't say he wasn't. ;) Still doesn't change the fact that he's boring and ex-Stains. We all thought Sean O'Driscoll was bad when we had him as gaffer.

Bring a good manager does not mean you have to be boring, as Eddie Howe shows. :D

Anyway, the battle of best Yorkshire and Humber team in League 1 will be tasty next season, with Chesterfield and Scunthorpe getting promoted from League 2, Doncaster and Barnsley getting relegated from the Championship, Sheffield Unt and possibly Rotherham Utd in the mix as well, and not forgetting York City who could yet gain promotion via the play offs from League 2.

Didn't someone use to publish a Yorkshire league table at one stage on here or is that a figment of my imagination?

Good luck to yer!! We missed our chances but you took yours so fair play!

Please beat QPR in the final :D

Can't say anyone's that surprised really as it has been coming for a while.

For purely selfish reasons, please Wigan get promoted. Can't stand the DW Stadium. Meanwhile I missed out on going to the Amex this year and have not yet been there.

Cletus

Established Member
Dover Athletic won their Conference South semi-final 2nd leg 3-0 at Sutton (1st leg 1-1) despite having our right back sent off in the 4th minute. Our brilliant support roared Dover to victory.
We now play at Ebbsfleet next Saturday for promotion, we also play them in the Kent cup final Monday at Gillingham.

Butts

Veteran Member
In my mind Reading is still part of the Division Three old boys due to the long history between the two clubs. I still have vague memory of going to Elm Park.

I remember Elm Park well, in the early 1980's I was a Service Station Manager of a Total Garage adjacent to a Marley Tiles Place - both probably long gone (right near to Reading West ? Station) on The Oxford Road.

Saturday's or Midweek fixtures were a nightmare (particularly Millwall :p) as supporters forgetting to pay for sweets and crisps and pop on their way to the ground were a nightmare <( - ended up shutting up shop before the start and end of matches.

Talking of Nigel Adkins how many Southampton supporters are still aggrieved about his departure :lol:

atomicdanny

Shame for my local team Folkestone Invicta (who lost on penalties) to leatherhead in their playoff final match (while I don't like dover so much, more so because my Uncle used to be a chairman at Ebbsfleet :D, I wish them well for their Final Match ).

Although being a Man Utd fan its strange for me wanting Man City to win the league than Liverpool (out of the two that is :) - although personally want Chelsea to win, as that's who my Fianceé supports :) )

PS - I don't support any teams from Medway even though that's where i live, my hometown is Folkestone ;)

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
At half-time, it is still goal-less in the Chelsea v. Norwich City match. Perhaps "The Special One" will have a motivational half-time talk with the Chelsea team.

Nah, his players can do no wrong. Everyone knows it's the referee's/linesman's/weather's/pitch's/zodiac's* fault

* Delete as appropriate
Somehow it managed to end 0-0 which is good enough for us to be mathematically safe so I am happy

familyguy99

So if Liverpool lose to Crystal Palace tomorrow night then Man City could win title on Wednesday night by beating Aston Villa? (due to City better goal different)

Also same can be say for Norwich as if Sunderland beat West Brom on Wednesday night then Norwich will be relegated to Championship as they goal different is much worse then West Brom.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
For purely selfish reasons, please Wigan get promoted. Can't stand the DW Stadium. Meanwhile I missed out on going to the Amex this year and have not yet been there.

I made the mistake of going to Brighton on the day Brighton were away to Bournemouth, so it was all change at Southampton (bring back the football trains), the Southern set was full of empty and half-full lager cans, bottles, pizza boxes etc (got to have felt sorry for the cleaner, I think he managed to fill 3 black bags up with the rubbish without even touching the bins.

---

Come on Liverpool, get a cricket score against Palace

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Skrill Conference Premier play-offs (2nd leg)

Cambridge United 2...Halifax Town 0... (2-1 on aggregate)

Gateshead 3...Grimsby Town 1... (4-2 on aggregate)

Seems to have gone to form over the two legs, as both the teams who finished second and third in the Conference Premier will now meet each other in the deciding play-off.

Butts

Veteran Member
I made the mistake of going to Brighton on the day Brighton were away to Bournemouth, so it was all change at Southampton (bring back the football trains), the Southern set was full of empty and half-full lager cans, bottles, pizza boxes etc (got to have felt sorry for the cleaner, I think he managed to fill 3 black bags up with the rubbish without even touching the bins.

---

Come on Liverpool, get a cricket score against Palace

I remember the 9-0 victory in 1989 :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
And the 1990 FA Cup semi-final? ;)

Crystal Palace 4...Liverpool 3....is the match I am sure you wish to allude.

Howsoever, it was the other semi-final that year that I remember well:-

8th April...Maine Road, Manchester
Manchester United 3...Oldham Athletic 3 (after extra time)

11th April...Replay at Maine Road, Manchester
Manchester United 2...Oldham Athletic 1 (after extra time)

Those were heady days indeed for Oldham Athletic when besides entering into the top flight of football when the First Division was the ultimate prize, they were then a founder member of the English Premiership.

SS4

Established Member
Crystal Palace 4...Liverpool 3....is the match I am sure you wish to allude.

Howsoever, it was the other semi-final that year that I remember well:-

8th April...Maine Road, Manchester
Manchester United 3...Oldham Athletic 3 (after extra time)

11th April...Replay at Maine Road, Manchester
Manchester United 2...Oldham Athletic 1 (after extra time)

Those were heady days indeed for Oldham Athletic when besides entering into the top flight of football when the First Division was the ultimate prize, they were then a founder member of the English Premiership.

Almost as shocking at Manchester United playing at Maine Road

edit: derp moment, forget they were played at neutral grounds

Trainfan344

Established Member
Congratulations to Lowestoft Town FC who today won promotion from the Ryman Premier Legue by beating AFC Hornchurch 3-0 at home. They will be playing in Conference South next season, 4th time lucky for them!

Cletus

Established Member
Unless the Conference stick them in the Conference North because they are more north than the other promoted Southern teams and a few Conference North teams.
Although transport links from Lowestoft north aren't good, so they probably will stay South. Maybe.

richw

Veteran Member
Unless the Conference stick them in the Conference North because they are more north than the other promoted Southern teams and a few Conference North teams.
Although transport links from Lowestoft north aren't good, so they probably will stay South. Maybe.

I understood that the north/south is worked by taking the Latitude of the club and they are in the league based on whether they are in the top 20(is there 20 teams in those leagues?) northern or southern.

Cletus

Established Member
I understood that the north/south is worked by taking the Latitude of the club and they are in the league based on whether they are in the top 20(is there 20 teams in those leagues?) northern or southern.

In theory, though this season Oxford City were in the North and for a couple of seasons, so were Bishops Stortford.

richw

Veteran Member
In theory, though this season Oxford City were in the North and for a couple of seasons, so were Bishops Stortford.

There was a time there were so many teams from Kent/London it put Gloucester into the North! Not sure how it faces up now.

Cletus

Established Member
Gloucester are still in the North along with Worcester.

3 of the the 4 teams relegated from the Conference Premier will go to the North. Plus with other club's financial problems and the "AGM Cup" means that nothing will be simple.

Wow, just checked Crystal Palace v Liverpool. 3-3, where did that come from?

Last edited: