• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

96tommy

Aston Villa 1 - 0 Dirty Bluenoses

Gabby Agbonlahor's return saw him score the only goal of the game in 68 minutes in the Second City derby.

Rather surprising was 'Arry Rednapp taking charge of the Bluenoses for their final 3 remaining games of the season. Although it does seem a perfect fit, as Rednapp was recently involved in a court case for tax fraud, and the (not sure if they are still there) owners of the Bluenoses Peter Pannu and Carson Yeung were incarcerated in Hong Kong when they got convicted of tax fraud.

I am not necessary implying anything here, but it does seem a very strange coincidence that Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Southampton, and West Ham all started to have financial difficulties after 'Arry Rednapp resigned as manager. In fairness though, Tottenham Hotspur were saved from that fate, mainly attributed to Rednapp touting himself for the England manager's position and for which he was overlooked.

Back to Villa matters, although it is not possible to make the playoffs, I don't know whether I should tempt fate and say that I think we have managed to stop the rot that had set in over recent seasons. It was too many draws during the first half of the season, then after New Year there was a run of successive defeats which did not help.

My best mates a Villa supporter so went to the match with him. Atmosphere was class but it was probably the worst match for quality I've ever been to. I know he's not well liked but Gabby increased the tempo of the March massively and from when he came on there was only going to be 1 winner

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lankyline

Well that went well, we gave Newcastle 4 easy goals, 3 down to stupid self inflicted mistakes and 1 down to a good save.......by our captain ! We could have been 2 up ourselves, Newcastle were edgy even after going 1 up, but still congrats to them on getting promotion

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And I hope Blackburn absolutely smash us next week. Combined with a nice Huddersfield win of course :lol:

Now we've secured the play-off place, I'm hoping Herr Wagner will put the u-23s out at Bordesley. Sorry and all that...!

I can't see anyone beating Fulham. Huddersfield and Leeds have bottled it lately. Wednesday probably Yorkshire''s best chance. Reading tend not to be good against teams around them

We've definitely had a bit of a wobble, and had we not done so we could be opening the posh champagne tonight, rather than the Lidl Cava we'll be having to celebrate the play-off place. Fulham are definitely the side to beat, but this is a weird league and anyone can beat anyone on the day. If Fulham were unbeatable they'd be top after all. Any position above 21st for us is a bonus, so as much as I hope we get promoted there's no pressure on us in the play-offs. Just hope Beeston stay out of the mix because losing to that lot in the play-offs would be unbearable!

Reading seem to have been around 3rd/4th all season without really setting the world alight, so they're the dark horses... tempted to put a couple of quid on them tbh, but then I might do that for all the other 3 sides in as it might just clinch promotion!

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
And I hope Blackburn absolutely smash us next week. Combined with a nice Huddersfield win of course :lol:

We've got to see which of the kids are good enough for the first team next season :lol:

Sadly bragging rights did not translate into bragging at work as it's mostly Villa

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The appeal lodged by Darlington, Poole, Hungerford and I think Wealdstone over the ground grading / play off rule will be heard at 13:00 today at Wembley.

Geezertronic

Established Member
My best mates a Villa supporter so went to the match with him. Atmosphere was class but it was probably the worst match for quality I've ever been to. I know he's not well liked but Gabby increased the tempo of the March massively and from when he came on there was only going to be 1 winner

Rumour has it that Doug Ellis is playing in goal for Villa's next match against Blackburn :D

zuriblue

HMRC raid Newcastle and West Ham in a £5M tax evasion investigation. There have been several arrest ncluding Newcastle's MD.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-39716009

BBC said:
Newcastle United and West Ham United's grounds have been raided in a fraud investigation.
It is understood Newcastle's managing director Lee Charnley was among "several men within professional football" who were arrested.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) said it had deployed 180 officers across the UK and France.
The BBC understands the suspected income tax and National Insurance fraud amounts to £5m.
HMRC said it searched premises in the north east and south east of England, and seized business records, financial records, computers and mobile phones

zuriblue

ExRes

Established Member
While having no interest in the goings on of Mr Barton, I do find a couple of comments he's made in his statement today quite interesting

"But surely they (the FA) need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches or follows football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters' own gambling interests"

"If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team's shirt, I am advertising a betting company"

None of that is a defence of the fact that he has ignored clear rules prohibiting players from gambling, but as sport has cast aside tobacco and alcohol sponsorship and advertising because of their social evils, should gambling be allowed in their place?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
While having no interest in the goings on of Mr Barton, I do find a couple of comments he's made in his statement today quite interesting

"But surely they (the FA) need to accept there is a huge clash between their rules and the culture that surrounds the modern game, where anyone who watches or follows football on TV or in the stadia is bombarded by marketing, advertising and sponsorship by betting companies, and where much of the coverage now, on Sky for example, is intertwined with the broadcasters' own gambling interests"

"If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team's shirt, I am advertising a betting company"

None of that is a defence of the fact that he has ignored clear rules prohibiting players from gambling, but as sport has cast aside tobacco and alcohol sponsorship and advertising because of their social evils, should gambling be allowed in their place?

No. Those bet in play naaaaaaaahhhhhh adverts are insidious

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington, Poole and Hungerford appeals rejected.

What a surprise!

In other use, an ursine mammal has entered a forested area to defecate.

In other use, an ursine mammal has entered a forested area to defecate.

We expected nothing else. The fa response was, essentially:

The rules are clear
We agree the rule is silly and a misnomer
We will look into changing it. Later.

Blazer wearing clowns- i hope we smash salford on Saturday and really mess up thier league. We could finish second which would be hilarious

Ps at least this time those clowns didn't relegate us 7 leagues and make us have a new name!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The fa response was, essentially:

The rules are clear
We agree the rule is silly and a misnomer
We will look into changing it. Later.

Blazer wearing clowns- i hope we smash salford on Saturday and really mess up thier league. We could finish second which would be hilarious

Ps at least this time those clowns didn't relegate us 7 leagues and make us have a new name!

It's a bit like a few years ago Salisbury got relegated due to breaching a rule about debtors which ceased to exist the following season.

Anyhow, no Newcastle/Sunderland derby next year as Punderland are holding onto the edge with one little finger and an evil person with boots is approaching to step on said finger

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's a bit like a few years ago Salisbury got relegated due to breaching a rule about debtors which ceased to exist the following season.

I bet Newcastle and West ham aren't treated as badly IF they are found to have committed any of the alleged tax improprieties reported widely yesterday.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I bet Newcastle and West ham aren't treated as badly IF they are found to have committed any of the alleged tax improprieties reported widely yesterday.

Would be really funny to relegate both to the bottom tier of the football pyramid.

richw

Veteran Member
Though not for their fans...

It would also ruin the competitiveness of those leagues. Look at Juventus going to the low tier in Italy. They held on to the good players, and gave no one else a chance of winning the league. A very heavy fine that isn't pence to the owners is what's needed

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Barton, pontificating as he always does, neglects to mention that the main reason behind the ban was that he kept betting on his own team to lose.

But you have to question why Betfair chose not to use the tantalising knowledge of Mr Joseph Barton of Manchester repeatedly betting large stakes on Manchester City to lose and block his bets. I bet they would have if he'd won big. Which sums up bookmakers.

FWIW I don't think gambling should be allowed to be advertised, it was much better back in the day when Ladbrokes had to cover their shop windows up in the same way the mucky video shops had to. I have less of an issue with alcohol- which can be advertised, except in France of all places. But replacing Silk Cut with Betfred doesn't really seem to be a step up in ethics.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It would also ruin the competitiveness of those leagues. Look at Juventus going to the low tier in Italy.

It can work both ways.

When Sevco were booted down to the Scottish Third Division (and I still maintain that was too lenient, they should have gone to the Lowland League), it was good for the teams down there. They got two bumper payday home games- Queens Park (average home attendance: 700) got 31,000 for a game against Sevco.

It was good for them financially even if it wasn't so good for competition.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It can work both ways.

When Sevco were booted down to the Scottish Third Division (and I still maintain that was too lenient, they should have gone to the Lowland League), it was good for the teams down there. They got two bumper payday home games- Queens Park (average home attendance: 700) got 31,000 for a game against Sevco.

It was good for them financially even if it wasn't so good for competition.

While part of me hopes Newcastle are punished by a points deduction, barring from promotion, or relegation (because it would likely see us promoted in their place), I'd rather win promotion on merit. Though in the Swindon case it was the losing play-off finalists (Sunderland) who were promoted rather than the 3rd-placed team (ironically, Newcastle United).

backontrack

Established Member
Before kick-off at 12:20pm I would be thankful if we could hold a brief moment of silence for York City F.C.

We will fight to the end.

For we are the Minstermen.

Come on City.