• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Millmoor was the first one that popped into my head as well, but it appears that it is still in use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Such a negative style of play was always going to leave you in trouble in my opinion.

For what its worth I thought the atmosphere at the Bridge tonight was the best I've heard in that ground for a long time.

Bridge - Atmosphere? Most of the noise was coming from the Boro fans. Chelsea only made noise when they were winning. Typical sing when you are winning premier league tourist fans.

Boro are fairly negative but I thought for a long while it would be enough to grind out the points to stay in the league. Lack of goals has finished them off. Negrado is disgraceful ( if staved of service at times) and Guzan isnt even a footballer.

Boro do have the nucleus of a championship squad in there IF they can ship the disinterested foreigners and find a manager.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not sure how much interest this will generate but name a football ground in which you've attended a game which no longer exists.

As a Derby County supporter my obvious choice would be the Baseball Ground but instead I will go for Maine Road. Compared to their rivals I always thought the stadium never really had a definite plan for development and lets face it its location wasn't the best but I always had a soft spot for the place. My only real gripe were the wooden seats at the Platt Lane end before it was redeveloped. Memories!

ok from memory and keeping it to demolished English league or former league grounds:

Feethams - Darlington
Darlingotn Arena - Darlington
Roker Park - Sunderland
Ayresome Park - Boro
McCain Stadium - Scarborough
Boothferry Park - Hull
Doncaster - Belle Vue
Chesterfield - Saltergate
Christie Park - Morcambe (Twice after the first game was called off after 20 mins)
Millmoor - Rotherham
Saltergate - Chesterfield
Don Valley - Rotherham
Maine Road - Manchester City
Gay Meadow - Shrewsbury
Springfield Park - Wigan
Burdon Park - Bolton
Victoria Ground - Stoke
Swanesa - Vetch Field
Cardiff - Ninian Park
Underhill - Barnet
Nene Park - Rushden and Diamonds
Goldstone Ground - Brighton
Withdean Stadium - Brighton
Layer Road - Colchester
National Hockey Stadium - MK Dongs (Shamefully)
Baseball Ground - Derby County

EDIT:

Highbury - Arsenal
Highfield Road - Coventry

Last edited:

meridian2

ok from memory and keeping it to English league or former league grounds:

Feethams - Darlington
Darlingotn Arena - Darlington
Roker Park - Sunderland
Ayresome Park - Boro
Boothferry Park - Hull
Doncaster - Belle Vue
Chesterfield - Saltergate
Christie Park - Morcambe (Twice after the first game was called off after 20 mins)
Millmoor - Rotherham
Saltergate - Chesterfield
Don Valley - Rotherham
Maine Road - Manchester City
Gay Meadow - Shrewsbury
Springfield Park - Wigan
Burdon Park - Bolton
Victoria Ground - Stoke
Swanesa - Vetch Field
Cardiff - Ninian Park
Underhill - Barnet
Nene Park - Rushden and Diamonds
Goldstone Ground - Brighton
Withdean Stadium - Brighton
Layer Road - Colchester
National Hockey Stadium - MK Dongs (Shamefully)
Baseball Ground - Derby County
I've been to most of those and quite a few others who are no longer in the football league. The fact I didn't know the majority of grounds had been replaced shows my knowledge of the modern game.

BlueFox

Not sure how much interest this will generate but name a football ground in which you've attended a game which no longer exists.

I've been to the old grounds at these English league clubs:

Sunderland (Roker Park)
Middlesbrough (Ayresome Park)
Darlington (Feethams)
Hull (Boothferry Park)
Manchester City (Maine Road)
Bolton (Burndon Park)
Doncaster (Belle Vue)
Rotherham (Millmoor)
Stoke (Victoria Ground)
Shrewsbury (Gay Meadow)
Derby(Baseball Ground)
Leicester (Filbert Street)
Coventry (Highfield Road)
Northampton (County Ground)
Swansea (Vetch Field)
Cardiff (Ninian Park)
Oxford (Manor Ground)
Colchester (Layer Road)
Arsenal (Highbury)
West Ham (Upron Park)
Millwall (The Den)
Maidstone (Watling Street)
Brighton (Goldstone Ground)

In Scotland:
St Mirren (Love Street)
Falkirk (Brockville)

Plus a few non-league clubs.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I've been to most of those and quite a few others who are no longer in the football league. The fact I didn't know the majority of grounds had been replaced shows my knowledge of the modern game.

i have only included demolished grounds. I will add former league grounds to the list:

Edgar Street - Hereford
Sincil Bank - Lincoln
Holker Street - Barrow
York Street - Boston
Deva Stadium - Chester
Victoria Road - Degenham & Redbridge
The Shay - Halifax Town
Aggborough - Kidderminster
Moss Rose - Macclesfield
Brisbane Road - Leyton Orient
Edgeley Park - Stockport County
Plainmoor - Torquay
Prenton Park - Tranmere
Borough Park - Workington
Racecourse Ground - Wrexham
Bootham Crescent - York

I have excluded Durham & Gateshead as neither played league football at the grounds i saw them play in.

Last edited:

meridian2

Pub quiz - what's is the smallest town (population wise) to play in the top tier of English league football?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No, much smaller.

Glossop, the team being Glossop North End.

Forgot to mention I've also visited Stoke City's old ground. Don't think there's any others that no longer exist, but there are three no longer in the league (Stockport, Tranmere and Wrexham). Surprised Leeds Road isn't on anyone else's list...

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Forgot to mention I've also visited Stoke City's old ground. Don't think there's any others that no longer exist, but there are three no longer in the league (Stockport, Tranmere and Wrexham). Surprised Leeds Road isn't on anyone else's list...

oh. someone got it asap :lol::lol::lol::lol:

meridian2

The terrier is correct, although I think they changed their name to Glossop for that year. Only spent one season in Div I and were relegated. Next smallest team were probably Loughborough.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
i have only included demolished grounds. I will add former league grounds to the list:

Edgeley Park - Stockport County

Last time I was at that ground, both Stockport and us were in Division One. Amazing how quickly things can change.

Sincil Bank - Lincoln

Nope, you can't have that one, they're back in the league ;)

The dumpiest old demolished ground I've ever had the misfortune to go to was Highfield Road, Coventry. Maine Road was always a grim day out too, although I never had the misfortune of that temporary stand in the corner of the Kippax that they often shoved away fans in.

Another team destroyed by that enormous fat lump of lard Geoffrey Richmond, the fat lump of fat.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The terrier is correct, although I think they changed their name to Glossop for that year. Only spent one season in Div I and were relegated. Next smallest team were probably Loughborough.

Did Loughborough play top flight football? I thought they were second division only

meridian2

Surprised Leeds Road isn't on anyone else's list...
Interesting Leeds Road factoids. It was built on a mustard gas storage facility, in fact for many years Kilner Bank was completely barren and devoid of trees, and mothers would refuse their children permission to play there due to the toxic vapours that leaked out. The gas was stored in a former coal mine, the working conditions of which were so poor it lead to parliament passing the law against child labour.

Although I can't vouch for the accuracy of the next bit, it's said plans to extend the ground over the current car part should the club reach the premier league would put it over the old mustard gas hoard!

Last edited by a moderator:

83G/84D

Established Member
it isnt - Rotherham pay at New York Stadium now having played at Don Valley for a bit

I think Millmoor was or is still used as a Rugby stadium, perhaps someone can clarify?

What is the only English football team in the top four divisions that has a name ending in the letter R?

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I think Millmoor was or is still used as a Rugby stadium, perhaps someone can clarify?

I think the owner wanted the rugby team there, but they seem to still play at their old ground.

The only use for Millmoor now appears to be as the home ground for Westfield United U18s.

What is the only English football team in the top four divisions that has a name ending in the letter R?

Spuds?

meridian2

QPR? :oops:

For a long time Millmoor was the largest pitch in the country by sq ft, and pushed the maximum permitted area to the limit. A good place to play wingers! In my experience the loco scrapping at Booth's yard was more interesting than the activities on the pitch.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
QPR? :oops:

For a long time Millmoor was the largest pitch in the country by sq ft, and pushed the maximum permitted area to the limit. A good place to play wingers! In my experience the loco scrapping at Booth's yard was more interesting than the activities on the pitch.

to enter the away end you had to pass through the scrap yard

meridian2

An easier trivia question: what's the only British football league club with a J in the title?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do you mean Macclesfield?

i do - thanks - i will change that. I think the shock of seeing Darlo win 6-0 there in 2008 has given me brain damage! Billy Clarke scored 4. I also saw us beat them 4-0 at home thanks to a Barry Conlon hat trick. Unprecedented!

Clip

Established Member
Can I just point out that we were champions of the championship :)

Thanks

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There used to be:

Name the four EPL/EFL sides whose names end in E...

But in a spell of a few years, three more joined the league and two of those are still members, making a total of 6.