• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

bradford758

ok from memory and keeping it to demolished English league or former league grounds:

Feethams - Darlington
Darlingotn Arena - Darlington
Roker Park - Sunderland
Ayresome Park - Boro
McCain Stadium - Scarborough
Boothferry Park - Hull
Doncaster - Belle Vue
Chesterfield - Saltergate
Christie Park - Morcambe (Twice after the first game was called off after 20 mins)
Millmoor - Rotherham
Saltergate - Chesterfield
Don Valley - Rotherham
Maine Road - Manchester City
Gay Meadow - Shrewsbury
Springfield Park - Wigan
Burdon Park - Bolton
Victoria Ground - Stoke
Swanesa - Vetch Field
Cardiff - Ninian Park
Underhill - Barnet
Nene Park - Rushden and Diamonds
Goldstone Ground - Brighton
Withdean Stadium - Brighton
Layer Road - Colchester
National Hockey Stadium - MK Dongs (Shamefully)
Baseball Ground - Derby County

EDIT:

Highbury - Arsenal
Highfield Road - Coventry
Think Darlington Arena is used for Rugby (Union) and Withdean is used for something...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Think Darlington Arena is used for Rugby (Union) and Withdean is used for something...

The Darlington Arena is now the home of Darlington Mowden Park Rugby Club. They bought it off the money men who repossessed the stadium after our enforced financial unpleasantness.

I think the Withdean was and is an athletics venue.

Butts

Veteran Member
Southamptons old Ground The Dell was really atmospheric - you were practically on the pitch.

I preferred these old stadia where you were closer to the action.:p

83G/84D

Established Member
I think Millmoor was or is still used as a Rugby stadium, perhaps someone can clarify?

What is the only English football team in the top four divisions that has a name ending in the letter R?

The answer to my question is Tottenham Hotspur!

meridian2

Southamptons old Ground The Dell was really atmospheric - you were practically on the pitch.

I preferred these old stadia where you were closer to the action.:p
I agree. My passion for football took a severe dent with all-seater stadiums, and the formation of the Premier League and Sky TV, whose aim was to make a small group of clubs incredibly wealthy at the expense of the many. This lead to football clubs becoming global commodities, trading in foreign journeymen who had no connection with the towns they represent, and whose sole aim was to collect as many championship medals in as many countries as possible before retiring to incredible wealth.

I can't get worked up about who wins or loses, or who plays for whom nowadays. In fact apart from local pub sides, I don't think I've watched a professional football match live or on telly in the last five years.

fowler9

Established Member
I agree. My passion for football took a severe dent with all-seater stadiums, and the formation of the Premier League and Sky TV, whose aim was to make a small group of clubs incredibly wealthy at the expense of the many. This lead to football clubs becoming global commodities, trading in foreign journeymen who had no connection with the towns they represent, and whose sole aim was to collect as many championship medals in as many countries as possible before retiring to incredible wealth.

I can't get worked up about who wins or loses, or who plays for whom nowadays. In fact apart from local pub sides, I don't think I've watched a professional football match live or on telly in the last five years.

I'd agree with you mate. I am a red as in a Liverpool fan but the most enjoyable games I went out watching this season have been Everton and Tranmere. I think I am just to old and jaded to accept any Liverpool win as being enjoyable.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'd agree with you mate. I am a red as in a Liverpool fan but the most enjoyable games I went out watching this season have been Everton and Tranmere. I think I am just to old and jaded to accept any Liverpool win as being enjoyable.

get yourself down to your local non league outfit. Cheap, beer during the game, decent level of interaction with supporters, change ends at half time, honets blokes who do football in thier spare time, grounds with a bit of personality. Great fun

fowler9

Established Member
get yourself down to your local non league outfit. Cheap, beer during the game, decent level of interaction with supporters, change ends at half time, honets blokes who do football in thier spare time, grounds with a bit of personality. Great fun

It is a good idea but my nearest none league team is South Liverpool who are are further away from my house than Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere.

tony_mac

Established Member
It is a good idea but my nearest none league team is South Liverpool who are are further away from my house than Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere.

Hopefully that will be true next week....;)
(i.e., Tranmere currently being a non-league team)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ahh, Dean Windass. My only memory of him was on my only visit to Valley Parade, the ass dived into Neil Young with a late late challenge studs up after about 7 minutes. Horrible stuff and made me scream at the time. Shame my toothless team at the time could not take advantage playing 11 v 10 for the best part of 85 minutes.

That is all I can recall of him, but I did remember Bradford getting a bumper 10k+ crowd that day (in League One). Something to do with charging only a fiver I think.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Wasn't Dean Windass once sent off after playing 0 seconds, as he was an unused substitute at the time? May have been a while into the game itself though.

He isnt one of them, although he does hold the distinction of being sent off 3 times in the same game!

Ahh, Dean Windass. My only memory of him was on my only visit to Valley Parade, the ass dived into Neil Young with a late late challenge studs up after about 7 minutes. Horrible stuff and made me scream at the time. Shame my toothless team at the time could not take advantage playing 11 v 10 for the best part of 85 minutes.

That is all I can recall of him, but I did remember Bradford getting a bumper 10k+ crowd that day (in League One). Something to do with charging only a fiver I think.

Sounds like a decent challenge to me. Got the ball. The lad went down easy. Men's game and all that. ;)

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Sounds like a decent challenge to me. Got the ball. The lad went down easy. Men's game and all that. ;)

I bet the Bradford fan(s) who sent him death threats afterwards disagreed. ;)

He isnt one of them, although he does hold the distinction of being sent off 3 times in the same game!

That is quite some record. :shock:

Just read up on it, what a pillock. The man's comedy gold. :lol:

Can I just point out that we were champions of the championship :)

Thanks

Whispers only please. You've upset the NSC lot enough already. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I bet the Bradford fan(s) who sent him death threats afterwards disagreed. ;)

That is quite some record. :shock:

Just read up on it, what a pillock. The man's comedy gold. :lol:

he was diabolically bad in the 6 league games he played for us. He was player- assistant manager to Colin Todd and they lasted 9 awful games at the start of the disastrous 09/10 season.

For those who dont know -Independent Newspapaper November 1997:

The Aberdeen striker Dean Windass will be out of action until Christmas after receiving a massive 22 penalty points at Dundee United on Sunday.
Referee Stuart Dougal's match report reveals Windass was effectively sent off three times in the opening half of the Dons' 5-0 Scottish League Premier Division defeat.

The Scottish Football Association has ruled that Windass must serve a six-match ban, which expires on 27 December, to add to a club fine of two weeks' wages. Windass was initially dismissed for two bookable offences, but his initial dissent at Dougal earned a further red-card equivalent.

To compound matters Windass ripped up the corner flag and threw it on to the ground on his way to the tunnel, securing another eight points.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-windass-sent-off-three-times-1293795.html

He also received a five game ban for abusing a referee in a car park while with Bradford. He does have problems and has sought help with several issues so it isnt always best to laugh at him. He has had drink problems, bankruptcy, depression and has has attempted suicide

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The answer to my question is Tottenham Hotspur!

Yay, I was right :D

DarloRich said:
He also received a five game ban for abusing a referee in a car park while with Bradford. He does have problems and has sought help with several issues so it isnt always best to laugh at him. He has had drink problems, bankruptcy, depression and has has attempted suicide

Windass' biggest problem has always been that he's a ****. He was one when he flounced out of Oxford United to join us in our promotion season, he was when he went from us to Middlesbrough and he was when he came back to us after Sheffield United released him. That said, if we'd kept him rather than loaning him to Hull in their promotion season we'd have never been relegated to League Two.

I'll forgive him everything for that free kick against Arsenal in February 2000.

Although he was right to abuse that referee, who is one of the worst refs I've ever had the misfortune to see at Valley Parade. The ref deserved far more than a gobful of abuse.

Colin Todd

There's no need for that sort of language.

bb21 said:
I did remember Bradford getting a bumper 10k+ crowd that day (in League One)

We get an average of 18,000 this season in League One, something to do with £149 season tickets.

It's great.

EM2

Established Member
ok from memory and keeping it to demolished English league or former league grounds:

Feethams - Darlington
Darlingotn Arena - Darlington
Roker Park - Sunderland
Ayresome Park - Boro
McCain Stadium - Scarborough
Boothferry Park - Hull
Doncaster - Belle Vue
Chesterfield - Saltergate
Christie Park - Morcambe (Twice after the first game was called off after 20 mins)
Millmoor - Rotherham
Saltergate - Chesterfield
Don Valley - Rotherham
Maine Road - Manchester City
Gay Meadow - Shrewsbury
Springfield Park - Wigan
Burdon Park - Bolton
Victoria Ground - Stoke
Swanesa - Vetch Field
Cardiff - Ninian Park
Underhill - Barnet
Nene Park - Rushden and Diamonds
Goldstone Ground - Brighton
Withdean Stadium - Brighton
Layer Road - Colchester
National Hockey Stadium - MK Dongs (Shamefully)
Baseball Ground - Derby County

EDIT:

Highbury - Arsenal
Highfield Road - Coventry

Deleted - misunderstanding.

richw

Veteran Member
Although he was right to abuse that referee, who is one of the worst refs I've ever had the misfortune to see at Valley Parade. The ref deserved far more than a gobful of abuse.

Disgraceful post. Never is it right to abuse a referee no matter how bad they are.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Disgraceful post. Never is it right to abuse a referee no matter how bad they are.

It is sometimes - this isnt nicey nicey, yes sir no sir, three bags full sir, ruggers - football is a different game. I am not suggesting taking the ref round the back and giving him a shoeing, just telling him, several times that his parents weren't married at the time of his birth and that he is incompetent ( even if he isnt - actually, especially if he isnt!) and that he needs glasses. It is all part of the pantomime and part of what makes football crowds so vibrant compared with the silent, dull, staid rugby "crowds".

BTW Calling a referee Sir. :oops::roll: Never, ever going to happen. I call no one sir.

Last edited: