• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Never is it right to abuse a referee no matter how bad they are.

In tennis, maybe not, but in football? It's all part of the fun to loudly question a referee's parentage and whether he's been to a high street optician recently.

And that referee in that match was particularly awful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueFox

If we want the standard of refereeing to improve we need more referees. But people won't go into refereeing when it's seen as acceptable to abuse them.
Any kind of dissent should be a red card. It would soon stop.

meridian2

In tennis, maybe not, but in football? It's all part of the fun to loudly question a referee's parentage and whether he's been to a high street optician recently.

The well known football referee Jack Taylor used to tell players they could call him all the names under the sun, but if they called him a cheat they'd be in the dressing room before they knew what had hit them. I think that's fair enough.

Antman

Established Member
If we want the standard of refereeing to improve we need more referees. But people won't go into refereeing when it's seen as acceptable to abuse them.
Any kind of dissent should be a red card. It would soon stop.

You really want somebody sent off for saying "oh come on ref that was never a foul"? Verbally abusing a referee already is a red card offence but many referees take the easy option and just end up making a rod for their own back.

BlueFox

You really want somebody sent off for saying "oh come on ref that was never a foul"? Verbally abusing a referee already is a red card offence but many referees take the easy option and just end up making a rod for their own back.

Quote taken from the Premier League website..
Yellow cards will be issued to players who:

Show visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official
Respond aggressively to decisions
Confront an official face to face
Run towards an official to contest a decision

I'd have no problem making them red card offences instead. These are things players don't need to do, but they do it in an attempt to influence decisions, or to get opponents into trouble. If players know there's zero tolerance they'll stop doing it. Refs let them get away with too much at the moment.

richw

Veteran Member

It's not acceptable to verbally abuse anybody in any situation.
Im absolutely astonished anybody thinks it's acceptable to think it's part of the fun. It tells me a lot about your character.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Atletico already 2-0 up against Real, is a comeback on?

Sadly not, Team Conaldo managed to get another dodgy goal, but they still lost on the night :lol:

Hopefully Juve will beat them in the final, otherwise you might be needing one of those super-jumbo planes to take back Conaldo with his massive head

Antman

Established Member
Sadly not, Team Conaldo managed to get another dodgy goal, but they still lost on the night :lol:

Hopefully Juve will beat them in the final, otherwise you might be needing one of those super-jumbo planes to take back Conaldo with his massive head

Sadly the away goal just before half time killed the tie, some shocking defending in the build up:cry:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Not sure how much interest this will generate but name a football ground in which you've attended a game which no longer exists.

As a Derby County supporter my obvious choice would be the Baseball Ground but instead I will go for Maine Road. Compared to their rivals I always thought the stadium never really had a definite plan for development and lets face it its location wasn't the best but I always had a soft spot for the place. My only real gripe were the wooden seats at the Platt Lane end before it was redeveloped. Memories!

For a full list of where every Football League and Premier League team played every season since 1888, see

http://bradfordfc.org.uk/

and click on the model of Park Avenue.

Please let me know of any errors (but I have no interest whatsoever in commercially sponsored ground names).

backontrack

Established Member

If you do that kind of thing it will affect the quality of the refereeing :roll:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If you do that kind of thing it will affect the quality of the refereeing :roll:

No it won't.

Football is a combative and tribal sport. Wouldn't be the same otherwise. I got shouted at and called names all the time when I played semi-professionally.

Perhaps you'd prefer snooker.

backontrack

Established Member
No it won't.

Football is a combative and tribal sport. Wouldn't be the same otherwise. I got shouted at and called names all the time when I played semi-professionally.

Perhaps you'd prefer snooker.

When more serious words get bandied about in jest, then things take on a whole new level because there's nothing to stop people from saying them on the street.

Nah, I'm better at football.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
All square at half-time in the play-offs, the stats suggest a decidedly one-sided game and it was one-way traffic for much of the game. Unfortunately we couldn't make the dominance count. Hopefully Wednesday will be a bit more adventurous on Wednesday, which should give us a bit more freedom to build too...

Howardh

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up! I was listening to Sunderland v Swansea on BBC 5Live and completely forgot about Chorley. Just switched over to BBC Radio Lancashire this minute. Phew! :oops:

Another disappointment!

To be honest I'm not sure Chorley's ground is up to conference standards, it may tick the right boxes r/e seats and covers but wherever you stand or sit the view's pretty dreadful; not so bad when there's 500 in but 1500 makes life difficult. Add to that the unsafe grass banking, poor floodlighting and lack of gates (to help segregation) I wonder how they got the nod?

Don't know if Chorley have any plans in that direction - I assume they are well aware of any shortcomings but at least defeat means improvements can wait another day.

If they ever made it to the League (as in Forest Green!) I think they would have to sell up and move, unless substantial funds could be found to upgrade Victory Park.

Cletus

Established Member
Chorley's ground would have been good enough for the Conference National as they would not been allowed to compete in the playoffs (like Darlington).

Went Io Guiseley in March, it was poor with little cover and no real terracing, but Conference standard, apparently.

EM2

Established Member
Pub quiz - what's is the smallest town (population wise) to play in the top tier of English league football?
Glossop, the team being Glossop North End.
In a few years, the answer to this question could be Nailsworth, with Forest Green Rovers being successful in yesterday's National League play-off and gaining promotion to League Two.
Actually, will Nailsworth be the smallest town to ever be represented in the Football League?

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
When more serious words get bandied about in jest, then things take on a whole new level because there's nothing to stop people from saying them on the street.

Nah, I'm better at football.

What does that even mean?

Someone calling the referee a "blind c**t" is part of the game. I don't support racist sexist or homophobic etc chanting, but a good swear word is fine. The game would be rather anodyne without it. I used to get called a lot worse as a player!