• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I think some are being a bit harsh on Luton here. They earned their place in the top flight, and haven't gone crazy with money in a probably vain attempt to compete....

...Sure, they'll probably finish in the bottom three... but it isn't a foregone conclusion this early in the season, and to suggest that it's inevitable is a little disrespectful in my opinion.
Indeed. And there's always the consolation of the so-called "parachute payments" that Luton would be eligible to receive if and when they were to be relegated back to the Championship. Estimates vary, but some reckon that such payments would potentially be worth £30mln+ for (up to) the three seasons following. So, still financially lucrative for the Hatters to have made it to the top flight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
One of the bugbears of football these days is in booking train tickets and not knowing whether the game is going to be moved for Sky/TNT. The EFL website states that Sky have agreed to a five week minimum public notice period when announcing games selected for tv broadcast. It also has a list of dates, by which the tv games for a specific round of fixtures are to be announced. It stated that tv selections for 23rd September to 7th October would be announced by 18th August.

On 18th August Blackburn vs Leicester, originally on Saturday September 30, was announced as the Friday night game to be played on the 29th. Based on this I booked advance tickets from London to Sheffield for the 30th for Sheffield Wednesday vs Sunderland, costing £50.

Yesterday, it was announced the Blackburn game will now be played on the Sunday and the Sunderland game has been moved to the Friday to replace it. This is obviously not five weeks notice, and comes two weeks after the league and Skys self imposed deadline for announcing tv fixtures. Apparently it’s due to Blackburn and Leicester league cup ties having to be played Wednesday 27th due to the scheduling and commitments of their opponents (Liverpool and Cardiff), so the game can no longer be played on the Friday. So I’ve now lost £50 on my trains! Sick of Sky taking us fans who actually attend matches for mugs and screwing us over. It won’t get anywhere but I’m inclined to send Sky a letter before action saying I’ll start legal action if they don’t pay me my £50.

Maybe write to the club chairmen who happily supported the new Sky deal and who put money before their travelling fans?

londonbridge

Established Member
Can you not change tickets for a fixture in the near future? Okay there will be a £20 administration fee for each single ticket but better than losing the lot. If of course there is industrial action called then your problem is solved!

No, you can only amend the tickets to a new date with the same origin and destination. If Sheffield Utd were still in the championship I could maybe have amended them for that game but that’s a non starter obviously, unless we draw them away in the FA Cup.

75A

Established Member
They were also claiming to be "Champions of Europe", so I think we know who was having a laugh.
Didn't hear that one, i only watched the second half though after I'd seen England pulverise New Zealand in a T20 match.
Thought the Luton fans were superb with their singing, kept going right to the end - well done.

Howardh

Established Member
Possibly 5000+ at Gigg Lane this afternoon. South Stand sold out. Level 9 (step 5) North West Counties League game v West Didsbury and Chorlton; who are expected to bring 200 fans themselves. In the past, as an EFL side, Bury struggled to get past the 2500 mark, and many games below 2000.
Wonder how many "new" fans are disenfranchised Premier League fans?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Maybe a few. Cheaper admission and your local team winning more often than not, will also help. Having said that, the Shakers did have an average gate of over 4,000+ in season 2018/19 before things went horribly wrong.

Howardh

Established Member
Maybe a few. Cheaper admission and your local team winning more often than not, will also help. Having said that, the Shakers did have an average gate of over 4,000+ in season 2018/19 before things went horribly wrong.
A promotion year that includes away fans which would have been considerable even at that level I think.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Possibly 5000+ at Gigg Lane this afternoon. South Stand sold out. Level 9 (step 5) North West Counties League game v West Didsbury and Chorlton; who are expected to bring 200 fans themselves. In the past, as an EFL side, Bury struggled to get past the 2500 mark, and many games below 2000.
No shortage of goal action in this game.

Bury 4 ... West Didsbury and Chorlton 3

AntoniC

I went to Prenton Park this afternoon to see Tranmere v Wrexahm.
Wrexham won 1-0 and it wasnt a great game but it was good to meet up with an old friend.
Crowd was approx 10500 and Wrexham brought approx 2000.00 (and were very noisy !).

dangie

Established Member
Stoke manager Alex Neil told BBC Radio Stoke:

"I always felt the first goal would be vitally important...."

Good to have a manager who understands the importance of scoring goals. Just a shame he hasn't conveyed that information to the team :'(

VauxhallandI

Established Member
'Gifted' may suggest City got it for free.

Instead, the City Council still own the stadium and the club pay an annual lease.

Obviously, the club have funded the various extensions and improvements that have occurred over the past 20 years.
Don’t let the truth get in the way!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Bottom vs top. What did you expect?
I would not expect such a result with a nine goal difference in a league as high up the Scottish pyramid, as it was only in the case of a similar level league, the Highland League when for years it was obvious that Fort William were not of the standard required and regularly posted double figure defeats in recent years (many of which were reported on this thread) until common sense prevailed and they now play at a level more suited to their ability.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I would not expect such a result with a nine goal difference in a league as high up the Scottish pyramid...
Ordinarily, you'd be right, but there's a big gap between the top and bottom teams in the Scottish Lowland Football League. Edinburgh University have gained only a single point from their opening eight league games so far. And Gretna 2008 have scarcely done any better, with just three points from their nine games, also including two 0-7 defeats and a 2-9 gubbing by Linlithgow Rose.

dangie

Established Member
Many years ago when I cycled through Scotland, I went through places which I only thought existed on the Football Pools. I didn’t know they were actually a place….. :)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Many years ago when I cycled through Scotland, I went through places which I only thought existed on the Football Pools. I didn’t know they were actually a place….. :)
"They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith..."

Haywain

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, in the Scottish FA Cup:
Fort William 1 Clydebank 10
Wigtown & Bladnoch 0 Auchinleck Talbot 12

Yesterday there were 3 hat tricks in the Premier league. Son, Haaland and Ferguson. Has this ever happened before?

Darandio

Established Member
Yesterday there were 3 hat tricks in the Premier league. Son, Haaland and Ferguson. Has this ever happened before?

Yes. Although some might say it doesn't count because Fowler actually scored four.

23 Sept 1995 - Fowler, Shearer, Yeboah.

Multiple examples of 3-4 hat tricks throughout a full Premier League weekend as well.