• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

steamybrian

Established Member
Crystal Palace 5 Aston Villa 0
Wow what a result for us Palace fans.
After a remarkable run of 6 wins and a draw from the last seven games has taken us from the fringe of relegation to a top ten finish. In the run scored 5 goals in a match for the second time. Highest number of goals ever they have scored in a Premier League season. Joint highest number of points (49) obtained in a Premier League season. Providing we do not sell our best players then roll on next season.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D54

Any Tottenham fans on here who were happy to lose to City the other night so as to help prevent Arsenal winning the title? Champions League football would have been the prize after the above coupled with the win at Sheffield United this afternoon.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Only First Division clubs were eligible to participate in the (Inter City) Fairs Cup at the time (1969). Believe also in the early years of the competition, that entry was on a "one city, one team" basis, and so, in the late 1950s there was actually a London Select XI, comprising players chosen from numerous various London clubs.
IIRC the one club per city rule would have been why Newcastle entered the Fairs Cup from something like 10th place?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
IIRC the one club per city rule would have been why Newcastle entered the Fairs Cup from something like 10th place?
That was season 1967-68. And, having been accepted, they then only went and won the Cup the following year!

More at the following link...

Extract...
While Newcastle United were a long-established force in England, they were largely unknown on the European stage when they qualified for the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup - the precursor to the UEFA Cup (now UEFA Europa League) - at the end of the 1967/68 season.

Joe Harvey's side had actually finished tenth in the First Division; well behind teams who might otherwise have qualified.

JamesT

Established Member
Can anyone on here confirm that in large sponsorship deals that Manchester United have, there is a matter of not qualifying for any European competitions having large financial implications attached.
I’ve seen a figure reported of £10 million for each year they don’t qualify for the Champions League is part of their Adidas deal. But that should be considered in the context of their overall revenue which is estimated at around £650 million for the year,
There is also the matter of the FA Cup Final next weekend that provides one last opportunity to qualify for the Europa League.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can anyone on here confirm that in large sponsorship deals that Manchester United have, there is a matter of not qualifying for any European competitions having large financial implications attached.
"The Sun", a couple of months or so ago, guesstimated that it could easily be many, many millions of pounds.

Having said that, I'd probably take the headline £100mln figure that was quoted with the proverbial 'pinch of salt'.

Extracts...
Man Utd could face £100MILLION penalty for failing to qualify for Champions League thanks to brutal new clause.

MANCHESTER UNITED will reportedly receive a £10million penalty for each time they miss out on Champions League qualification under a new sponsorship package.

SJL2020

"The Sun", a couple of months or so ago, guesstimated that it could easily be many, many millions of pounds.

Having said that, I'd probably take the headline £100mln figure that was quoted with the proverbial 'pinch of salt'.

Extracts...
Don't the players suffer a 25% pay cut (i.e., bonuses foregone) when they don't qualify for the CL?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Manchester United are a mid table premier league club - There is a lot of nonsense about the Glazers but they have spent fortunes on players who don't care and aren't good enough and managers who haven't a clue in a pursuit to recover what they have lost. They have simply ended up further away than when they started. Football has moved on leaving them behind.

it will be Liverpool like time periods until they win the league again.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Manchester United are a mid table premier league club - There is a lot of nonsense about the Glazers but they have spent fortunes on players who don't care and aren't good enough and managers who haven't a clue in a pursuit to recover what they have lost.
Have the Glazers actually spent any of their own money on anything relating to Manchester United, such as players, managers, or indeed stadium roof repairs?

In previous years, they (the Glazers) have actually been taking out double-digit multi-million pound amounts in dividends.

Nonsense to suggest that they, themselves, have spent fortunes.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Have the Glazers actually spent any of their own money on anything relating to Manchester United, such as players, managers, or indeed roof repairs?
No. But Manchester United are one of the richest clubs in the world so that shouldn't be necessary. The problem would appear to be what the Glazers have failed to do in maintaining the club rather than treating it as a cash cow.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Nonsense to suggest that they, themselves, have spent fortunes.
I didn't say they had spent THIER money. Regardless, fortunes have been spent on crap. it is why the club is in such a mess. It is hilarious to see confused Manure fans finding out what real football is like. Hint: You lose most of the time!

The problem would appear to be what the Glazers have failed to do in maintaining the club rather than treating it as a cash cow.
I would argue treating the club as a cash cow wouldn't be an issue if they were winning. There has been no plan, no system. It has just be scattergun.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would argue treating the club as a cash cow wouldn't be an issue if they were winning. There has been no plan, no system. It has just be scattergun.
I think you can invest all you like in players but if there is an air of decay around it will not inspire the required level of enthusiasm. And there does seem to be an air of decay around Old Trafford.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The problem would appear to be what the Glazers have failed to do in maintaining the club rather than treating it as a cash cow.
Essentially yes. Slum landlords who bought the place in 2005 on a 100% mortgage and have failed to keep it in a good state of repair. Fairly sure that some of the dividend money taken out, could have been used to ensure the stadium roof doesn't leak. It often rains in Manchester!

SteveM70

Established Member
Mine too, but the point is that it's circa £50m the club saves on player remuneration.

Except it isn’t true

Some players have that clause but not all, and it will tend to be the better paid players that don’t have that clause as they’ll have been in a stronger negotiating position

QSK19

Any Tottenham fans on here who were happy to lose to City the other night so as to help prevent Arsenal winning the title?
I would have thought so - most Spurs fans probably thought they were going to lose to City anyway; so the bonus of that result preventing the Gunners from winning the title would have been the icing on the cake.

IMO, if a place in Europe is at play, I wouldn’t want us (I’m not a Spurs fan btw) to throw away our season solely to spite our bitter rivals; but it might be different if there is nothing to play for!

JD2168

Mauricio Pocchetino has left Chelsea by mutual consent.

Jordan Henderson, Marcus Rashford, Reece James, Ben Chilwell & Nick Pope are among the names left out of the provisional 36 man England squad for the friendliest & the Euros in Germany where the squad will be further cut to 26 players for the tournament.

Interesting names in the squad are Kobbie Mainoo, James Trafford, Lewis Dunk, Adam Wharton, Curtis Jones, Jarrel Quansah & Luke Shaw who will need to prove his fitness.

QSK19

Mauricio Pocchetino has left Chelsea by mutual consent.
As others have said, surprising news.

I would say a dark horse for the role could be Will Still. The story of his rise to managing Reims is utterly fascinating (including Reims being fined £22k for every single game that he managed before gaining his Pro Licence). He left them by mutual consent earlier this month after a poor run of results up to the end of the season; but I still think he would be worth a shout.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
A bit of a surprise! He seemed to have got his act together during the latter part of the season.
I wasn’t sold on Poch totally but yes a vast improvement latterly helped by the return of some of the long term injured players.

For years now my club is a continuing soap opera. Where they go from here re a manager who knows? The so called ‘project’ has come to an abrupt halt!

1D54

It's a real shame for them as everything was set up for a fantastic treble against Kaiserslautern in the German Cup final on Saturday but what a wonderful record breaking season they have had regardless

JD2168

UEFA Europa League Final

Atalanta 3 ... Bayer Leverkusen 0

Fancy losing the season's undefeated match record in a final.... :rolleyes:

Great performance from Atalanta with Ademola Lookman scoring a hat trick in the final.

Julen Lopetegui has been confirmed as the new West Ham manager.

West Ham player Lucas Paqueta has been charged by the FA in relation to spot betting allegations about some yellow cards received in recent seasons.