• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Grand Central HSTs now with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leyland155

Ah okay, thank you for the reply LowLevel :) Hopefully the lower seating capacity of the ex-GC coaches won't create too many issues in terms of the seat reservation system.

Crossforth

Established Member
I saw 43484 plus a MK3 rake and another power car at Neville Hill this afternoon.
43484 had lost its nameplate, the MK3 rake had no branding and neither did the other power car. Anyone know what the second power car was?

MMLLuton

Does anyone know if the HST sets will be liverised into full EMT livery or a neutral sort of branding?

mushroomchow

The basher in me wishes they had some spare VP185s lying around Neville Hill. For... uh... fleet homogenisation? ;)

Gonna be weird seeing buffer units around these parts - not seen them regularly since the days when Virgin XC sets would occasionally be routed via the MML in the summer, back during the horrors of "Voyagerisation".

Strange question, but can they work in multiple on service trains? I only ask as I recall during a holiday at Dawlish back in the early 2000s seeing four 43s coupled together running to Laira for servicing each evening, sans coaching stock.

whhistle

On Moderation
Does anyone know if the HST sets will be liverised into full EMT livery or a neutral sort of branding?
I'd would think they will have EMT wording at least but I don't know if they'll end up in full Stagecoach livery. I'd expect so as the franchise is still a year and a few months off renewal - that's a long time to be in temporary colours.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'd would think they will have EMT wording at least but I don't know if they'll end up in full Stagecoach livery. I'd expect so as the franchise is still a year and a few months off renewal - that's a long time to be in temporary colours.

I don't think they'll be kept for very long, just the duration of the Thameslink works. Therefore I think they'll be kept as is, possibly with exterior EMT vinyls.

HiPa

B0B95E64-237A-4A50-829B-08E93CFBE403.jpeg AE03D5E4-6432-4AAA-BD1C-B44449AAFEE6.jpeg At Etches Park & Neville Hill... third set booked to arrive at Etches tonight

3D965028-3170-4474-A833-35CC4073B72D.jpeg E852B5DD-E7B7-4DC4-9C82-771E11F46A2F.jpeg 93FA1BAF-317F-4F99-948F-EC7DAB562D81.jpeg EF53F527-E8FA-4CFF-A2C1-9D287A8DE49A.jpeg

greyman42

Established Member
Does anyone know if EMT plan to keep the de-classified first class coach in service?

Alan2603

Having travelled down to Kings Cross on a GC class 180 today, I am missing their HST's already.

Although they are generally getting a bit long in the tooth and are without the latest facilities, their comfort, particularly in first class, was superb.

On Moderation
Strange question, but can they work in multiple on service trains? I only ask as I recall during a holiday at Dawlish back in the early 2000s seeing four 43s coupled together running to Laira for servicing each evening, sans coaching stock.
HST sets cannot work in multiple - there are no 36-way sockets on the power car front ends.

That’s why they are not multiple units. ;)

On Moderation
I don't think they'll be kept for very long, just the duration of the Thameslink works. Therefore I think they'll be kept as is, possibly with exterior EMT vinyls.
I think you misunderstand. The change that requires the extra stock is permanent as it is as a result of the new Thameslink timetable from May. TL takes preference over everything - it being a high profile DfT project with plenty of potential for it to degenerate into a shambles.

Mugby

Established Member
Could someone tell me the current configuration of the ex-GC HSTs please?

I saw one on Saturday in Derby but most of it was hidden behind the mound of earth opposite the PSB so I couldn't count the carriages as my train went past.
Are they five standards plus one first?

Powercar + Trailer First + Trailer Standard + Trailer Standard + Trailer Standard Disabled + Trailer Restaurant Standard Buffet + Trailer First + Powercar. All 3 sets are the same formation and one trailer first (non-refurbished) has been being used as standard class accommodation. All of the Trailer First, Trailer Standard and Trailer Standard Disabled vehicles are converted Mark 3 loco hauled stock and the Trailer Restaurant Standard Buffet vehicles are original Mark 3 HST vehicles. Strangely the sets have no Trailer Guard Standard carriage unlike all other HST sets operated currently (this may change with redeployment to Scotland and GW short sets, someone who knows their future formations may be able to clarify this).

On Moderation
Powercar + Trailer First + Trailer Standard + Trailer Standard + Trailer Standard Disabled + Trailer Restaurant Standard Buffet + Trailer First + Powercar. All 3 sets are the same formation and one trailer first (non-refurbished) has been being used as standard class accommodation. All of the Trailer First, Trailer Standard and Trailer Standard Disabled vehicles are converted Mark 3 loco hauled stock and the Trailer Restaurant Standard Buffet vehicles are original Mark 3 HST vehicles. Strangely the sets have no Trailer Guard Standard carriage unlike all other HST sets operated currently (this may change with redeployment to Scotland and GW short sets, someone who knows their future formations may be able to clarify this).
ScotRail sets will not have a TGS. Retained GWR sets will be formed TGS-TSD-TS-TS.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What are the chances of spare trailers from the GW shortened sets being used to strengthen the ex-GC sets to standard EMT length ?

MMLLuton

I think they're keeping them with 6 coaches so they can match the timings of the 222's but i'll need someone to confirm that.

LowLevel

Established Member
What are the chances of spare trailers from the GW shortened sets being used to strengthen the ex-GC sets to standard EMT length ?

We've not been given any indication that the formation will change or at least lengthen (there's a shortage of TS vehicles as it is with most days featuring an extra TF declassified in at least one set) - at least some of the services being worked are currently diagrammed for class 222 so I imagine they'll want the acceleration.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We've not been given any indication that the formation will change or at least lengthen (there's a shortage of TS vehicles as it is with most days featuring an extra TF declassified in at least one set) - at least some of the services being worked are currently diagrammed for class 222 so I imagine they'll want the acceleration.

Ah thanks. So presumably they will be standing in for some of the Meridian services that currently terminate at Sheffield ?

If so, I wonder if these will be in fixed diagrams appearing in the timetable as HST's ?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It would be tricky for them to operate to/from St Pancras on the MML without going through Bedford

richieb1971

Established Member
It would be tricky for them to operate to/from St Pancras on the MML without going through Bedford

I only saw that it they would cover services terminating at Sheffield. I didn't read the whole thread.

Hairy Bear

They are pencilled in for 2 diagrams, 1 is a Sheffield semi-fast the other is an evening Hst diagram from Nott'm(can you smell something burning) to London.
But that could all change between now and May.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They are pencilled in for 2 diagrams, 1 is a Sheffield semi-fast the other is an evening Hst diagram from Nott'm(can you smell something burning) to London.
But that could all change between now and May.

Ah,That's one Sheffield !
Cheers for the update :)

hwl

Established Member
Presumably EMT are keeping them till Corby is electrified releasing some Meridians? Or will they keep them longer till the bi-modes start arriving?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I’m hearing various sources state that 43467 without a nameplate is being repainted now, can anyone confirm/deny this?

mushroomchow

Presumably EMT are keeping them till Corby is electrified releasing some Meridians? Or will they keep them longer till the bi-modes start arriving?

That's dependent on them pulling their finger out and having electric units lined up for the point the route is actually electrified - certainly none of my ITK contacts have heard anything about a plan for the interim! :rolleyes: It's probably going to be the case that they just wait for bi-modes to start arriving and put them to work on the Corby service.

Could stir the pot here a bit and make the suggestion - off-lease 90s and Mk. 3s from GA will be available at roughly the same time as the wires to Corby go "live" for the first time. Make it happen, EMT. I like my local patch becoming a retirement home for ex-BR stock, even if the average commuter is unlikely to agree! 8-)

(inb4 RVAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.