• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1 has a new logo...

Do you like the new logo?

• Yes

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • BURN IT!

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Looks like someone has been let loose with a new set of crayons.

cf111

Established Member
Did they use the same advertising agency as Messrs. Clarkson, Hammond & May by any chance?

s3-news-tmp-111981-the_grand_tour_studio_locations--2x1--940.jpg

TheNewNo2

Seems fine to me. The 1 did always go a bit missing in the old one, and yeah, it was a bit old. The new one is a lot less finnicky too.

And the fuzzing adverts with the old logo on were the best bits of that godawful procession today. The only one of the top 10 finishers who actually improved position other than by Ricciardo's retirement was Alonso. They spent 20mins showing a battle for 13th, then never bothered to replay the one overtake.

Abu Dhabi and Lance Stroll go together well. Both in F1 because their parents have lots of money, both utterly abysmal and taking up space.

Since I've started to rant, I would like to say that the following drivers from this year have no place in F1:
Stroll (rich kid), Palmer (slightly less rich kid, will not be missed), Kvyat (shouldn't have been even given a drive this year), Ericsson (again, there for his money only), Raikkonen (just coasting now and taking up a drive from someone who should be pushing Vettel).

I was also underwhelmed by the performances of Bottas, who was nowhere near Hamilton for most of the season, and Wehrlein, who failed to significantly beat Ericsson. Vettel also, while excellent on his day, displayed an alarming level of misjudgment at times, and has only himself to blame for not being in the title right to the end.

Plaudits for the season however go to Hamilton (obviously), Sainz (who jumped in to Renault and performed immediately), Alonso (for dragging a car where it shouldn't have been) and Ocon (who showed why he was chosen over Wehrlein).

I look forward to McLaren having a competitive engine next year, and commiserate for Brendon Hartley who will, in Melbourne, receive grid penalties when he takes his fourth engine of the year.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The reasoning should be fairly obvious: new owner, new broom. It is just crap childish logo that looks like it was drawn by a 7 year old while daddy talked about the cars to the german man.............................

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Since I've started to rant, I would like to say that the following drivers from this year have no place in F1:
Stroll (rich kid), Palmer (slightly less rich kid, will not be missed), Kvyat (shouldn't have been even given a drive this year), Ericsson (again, there for his money only), Raikkonen (just coasting now and taking up a drive from someone who should be pushing Vettel).

Yeah, that Stroll kid was so abysmal he managed to finish on the podium in a Williams during his rookie season and was matching his well-regarded team mate for most of the year. I mean, honestly, what are we doing here? :rolleyes:

Also, I'm particularly unhappy about how Kvyat's been treated by Red Bull and the F1 fanbase. He's had his confidence totally destroyed, and to be honest I was getting pretty worried about his mental health judging from his interviews. Hopefully he can rebuild his career in another series with a team that appreciates and gives him proper support.

As someone who utterly dislikes Hamilton and Verstappen, F1's not looking too peachy for me at the moment. Definitely gonna spend more time following IndyCar. Make the most of C4's coverage while you can, as Sky get the rights exclusively from 2019.

Domh245

Established Member
Yeah, that Stroll kid was so abysmal he managed to finish on the podium in a Williams during his rookie season and was matching his well-regarded team mate for most of the year. I mean, honestly, what are we doing here? :rolleyes:

Almost anyone could have finished on the podium in Baku, he was in the right place at the right time more than anything else. I think the main problem is a lack of experience - he's got talent, the wet Qualifying in Monza where he qualified fourth shows that, as do his feeder series results generally speaking, but he could have done with a year or so in GP2 before jumping into F1.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Seems fine to me. The 1 did always go a bit missing in the old one, and yeah, it was a bit old. The new one is a lot less finnicky too.

And the fuzzing adverts with the old logo on were the best bits of that godawful procession today. The only one of the top 10 finishers who actually improved position other than by Ricciardo's retirement was Alonso. They spent 20mins showing a battle for 13th, then never bothered to replay the one overtake.

Abu Dhabi and Lance Stroll go together well. Both in F1 because their parents have lots of money, both utterly abysmal and taking up space.

I was also underwhelmed by the performances of Bottas, who was nowhere near Hamilton for most of the season, and Wehrlein, who failed to significantly beat Ericsson. Vettel also, while excellent on his day, displayed an alarming level of misjudgment at times, and has only himself to blame for not being in the title right to the end.

Plaudits for the season however go to Hamilton (obviously), Sainz (who jumped in to Renault and performed immediately), Alonso (for dragging a car where it shouldn't have been) and Ocon (who showed why he was chosen over Wehrlein).

I look forward to McLaren having a competitive engine next year, and commiserate for Brendon Hartley who will, in Melbourne, receive grid penalties when he takes his fourth engine of the year.
I disagree with you on Kvyat. His treatment by RB and Helmut Marko was shocking and I wanted RB back at the front fighting but now (sadly for Max and Danny Ric) I don't want them anywhere near a podium. And Palmer just had bad luck 50/50 of the time especially at the wrong time such as Spa.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

Also, I'm particularly unhappy about how Kvyat's been treated by Red Bull and the F1 fanbase. He's had his confidence totally destroyed, and to be honest I was getting pretty worried about his mental health judging from his interviews. Hopefully he can rebuild his career in another series with a team that appreciates and gives him proper support.

As someone who utterly dislikes Hamilton and Verstappen, F1's not looking too peachy for me at the moment. Definitely gonna spend more time following IndyCar. Make the most of C4's coverage while you can, as Sky get the rights exclusively from 2019.
Paragraph 1&2 I agree to. Paragraph 3 A. Well I like both of them especially the tax dodger. B. Eff BSkyB eff the competition regulator for not stepping in and eff mr murdoch!

Almost anyone could have finished on the podium in Baku, he was in the right place at the right time more than anything else. I think the main problem is a lack of experience - he's got talent, the wet Qualifying in Monza where he qualified fourth shows that, as do his feeder series results generally speaking, but he could have done with a year or so in GP2 before jumping into F1.
Everyone said this of Max but the problem with that argument is that Max is in another league compared to Stroll. Also Lewis' headrest issues and seb's slap on the wrist penalty gifted 3rd to him.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The 1 did always go a bit missing in the old one

I can see the "1" in the old one easily enough, but it's almost completely invisible in the new one!

Make the most of C4's coverage while you can, as Sky get the rights exclusively from 2019.

Will there be any way of seeing either the highlights or the full races* from 2019 without paying that ghastly Murdoch type a single penny?

*Not necessarily "on the day"

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Will there be any way of seeing either the highlights or the full races* from 2019 without paying that ghastly Murdoch type a single penny?

*Not necessarily "on the day"
Liberty Media have said that they want to introduce a paid subscription service and start working with Amazon and Netflix. On the C4 front, all the races will be highlights bar the British GP. If you can't/won't pay for the subscription, your best bet is watching an online stream.

Domh245

Established Member
Liberty Media have said that they want to introduce a paid subscription service and start working with Amazon and Netflix. On the C4 front, all the races will be highlights bar the British GP. If you can't/won't pay for the subscription, your best bet is watching an online stream.

They're launching their own service next year, but only for countries where it won't interfere with current contracts. That means that the earliest we in the UK can get it is the 2025 season opener.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Hang on - are you saying the highlights will still be shown on C4? I thought 2019 was a total abandonment of normal TV?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
They're launching their own service next year, but only for countries where it won't interfere with current contracts. That means that the earliest we in the UK can get it is the 2025 season opener.
I guess our best bet is we all complain to competition regulator and cross our fingers, get our rabbit feet, salute magpies and don't walk in front of black cats.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I just thought of a loophole. As long as Mrs May doesn't ban us from using VPN's, use a reputable VPN.

Domh245

Established Member
Hang on - are you saying the highlights will still be shown on C4? I thought 2019 was a total abandonment of normal TV?

Won't necessarily be C4, just a free-to-air station - see Sky's press release here.

I just thought of a loophole. As long as Mrs May doesn't ban us from using VPN's, use a reputable VPN.

There are other workarounds of course, from the BBC radio commentary (which I initially only used when out and about when a session was ongoing, but I've started taking to it more and more) to web streams of dubious legality.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Well I doubt the beeb will take it back and C4 has put too much investment into it to let it go. Plus my problem is what is stopping liberty from putting an end to this deal?

TheNewNo2

Stroll, yes, had a podium finish. That was after Vettel, Ocon and Perez all threw away the chance to have said podium and Hamilton, Massa, Raikkonen and Verstappen all had technical issues. On his day, Stroll could be quick, but by and large he was the better part of a second per lap behind Massa at every race, and more often than not was found at the back of the pack having taken 10 new sets of tyres. And the gap to Massa didn't really improve over the year.

Kvyat was treated badly sure. Perhaps if he'd been left at Toro Rosso instead of being promoted, a year there may have made a difference. But he scored more penalty points than actual points over the year, and was comprehensively beaten by Sainz.

I do enjoy Indycars, though I find it a bit difficult to get my head around the teams or really get in to it on non-ovals.

I circled 3 that I think are the best shown there. View attachment 39851 View attachment 39850

It's a digital world now. One of the major problems with the old logo was that it had too many elements - digital media is better with simple designs, and the new logo is very nice and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.