• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort George OO Gauge Scottish Terminus/Junction Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Oh cool - I'd be interested to see the result of that at some point.

Haha :D With a pantograph of that design but that livery, I'd bet it's a model from 2000-2010? They seem to be a bit hit-and-miss in my experience as it's the sort-of transition from older Hornby stuff of the 1980s/1990s to modern super-detail things.

I'm liking that! Have you thought about adding a driver/fireman to the cab? I expect it would be pretty fiddly (hence why I've only done it with one of my locos) but they really do add to the look, especially if you weathered them too.

-Peter

I coarsely painted the outside, which I think has added to the effect with a bit of black showing on the 'wood,' then added some coal dust weathering powder to the top to dull it down. I think that they definitely look a lot more natural now.

Buffers.jpg

Yes I think that class 90 comes from around 2009. Yeah, I agree with your assessment of Hornby models from that era.

Some of my steam loco's do have cab crew and I agree that it adds a lot to the overall feel. I do have some rail staff figures lying around in a box, so one of those hopefully might fit in the Jinty or I can possibly order some more in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I coarsely painted the outside, which I think has added to the effect with a bit of black showing on the 'wood,' then added some coal dust weathering powder to the top to dull it down. I think that they definitely look a lot more natural now.

View attachment 92499
Those look good - the black showing through adds to the detail, definitely. I like it!

Some of my steam loco's do have cab crew and I agree that it adds a lot to the overall feel. I do have some rail staff figures lying around in a box, so one of those hopefully might fit in the Jinty or I can possibly order some more in the future.
Cool - I always think a crew adds to the look of an engine, but physically fitting them makes that almost impossible in some locos!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Really like what you’ve done there Mister Iskra.
If you can get things like that looking good before you’ve even set them in a scene and added greenery etc then you’re definitely on the right track. :)

Iskra

Established Member
Those look good - the black showing through adds to the detail, definitely. I like it!

Cool - I always think a crew adds to the look of an engine, but physically fitting them makes that almost impossible in some locos!

-Peter
Thanks Peter! Being a shunter, I've put them as if they are paying close attention to their driving and as if they could be shouting to each other or someone on the ground :)

Crew.jpgcrew1.jpg

Thanks @Cowley

I re-visited the 2MT weathering. Some honest feedback on the 2MT please? I found it more of a challenge with it being an older, shinier model.

2MT.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can’t see anything wrong with that. The only thing that slightly sticks out is the coal being a bit shiny, but it’s not much of an issue.
I have seen models where people have chopped out the plastic coal load and replaced it with crushed real coal which looks really good.
Is it really an old model? It looks very well detailed.

Iskra

Established Member
I can’t see anything wrong with that. The only thing that slightly sticks out is the coal being a bit shiny, but it’s not much of an issue.
I have seen models where people have chopped out the plastic coal load and replaced it with crushed real coal which looks really good.
Is it really an old model? It looks very well detailed.
Agreed on the coal, I'll sort that out! Yeah, I've seen that too, but it seems like it could get messy to me that.

It dates from around 2010 I think, the detail is great it was just the plasticy shiny finish that let it down a little, more modern black steam locomotives have more of a matt finish that is easier to work with.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I love the rust effects. One thing that was quite common on locos near the end of steam was limescale deposits. That’d be an interesting thing to capture maybe?
Another one was the charred smokebox door at the bottom.
There’s some great photos online. I just typed in ‘Filthy BR Black 5’ and found some great stuff.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter! Being a shunter, I've put them as if they are paying close attention to their driving and as if they could be shouting to each other or someone on the ground :)

View attachment 92530View attachment 92531
Ah brilliant - they really finish the look. :D

I re-visited the 2MT weathering. Some honest feedback on the 2MT please? I found it more of a challenge with it being an older, shinier model.

View attachment 92533
That also looks really good - I like @Cowley's suggestion of the limescale deposits, though I'm not sure if everything you'd find on that Google search would be either train-related or safe for work... ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good point there Peter. Careful what you search for kids!

Iskra

Established Member
I love the rust effects. One thing that was quite common on locos near the end of steam was limescale deposits. That’d be an interesting thing to capture maybe?
Another one was the charred smokebox door at the bottom.
There’s some great photos online. I just typed in ‘Filthy BR Black 5’ and found some great stuff.
Thanks, I do have some suitable paint knocking around for limescale effects but that would involve crossing the Rubicon with this model; currently all the weathering above the wheels is powder-based so will just wipe off easily. I’m therefore not too keen to apply any paint to it as it could damage resale value and I can’t reverse it if I decide I’d like a cleaner model in the future. There are some great photos around of dirty steam loco’s!

Ah brilliant - they really finish the look. :D

That also looks really good - I like @Cowley's suggestion of the limescale deposits, though I'm not sure if everything you'd find on that Google search would be either train-related or safe for work... ;)

-Peter
Thank you!

Haha :D

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks gents, I also lightly weathered the Intercity Exec 47 today as well as doing the first part on the grain hoppers;

Ebay class 47 3.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks gents, I also lightly weathered the Intercity Exec 47 today as well as doing the first part on the grain hoppers;

View attachment 92971

47487 with a Cockney Sparrow on it, I remember that model!
A bonus ten points if anyone can tell me what its claim to fame was..?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
First to carry InterCity livery?

Ten points to you. :lol:
That’s right, I think it was painted that way to celebrate the through Intercity services from the north to the south via Kensington Olympia some time around 1986.
Apart from the class 43s I believe it was the first diesel locomotive painted in Intercity livery too.

Iskra

Established Member
I've done a bit more weathering today. I've finished the dreaded bright blue whisky wagons, done a virgin 47 although I may need to de-weather it slightly, done a first attempt at lightly weathering BR Green on a Jubilee, done a random 03 shunter, done the Caledonian sleeper stock but that may need the weathering easing on the roofs and completed the main bits of straight track weathering too with just the shed area and points left to do now.

weatheringcally.jpgweatheringjube.jpgweathering grain.jpgweathering03.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
Those grain wagons look very realistic, as do the outsides of the coal wagons although their interiors look rather pristine, work in progress I assume?
Yes, that’s a future task. It’s all work in progress and will be for a long time :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, that’s a future task. It’s all work in progress and will be for a long time :D

Real coal crushed up is very good to use. You can cut the interior of the wagon shape out with polystyrene, paint the top black, PVA it and sprinkle the coal on. I’ve seen it done and it does look good because coal has a very specific texture.
Those grain wagons do look especially good. Are you pleased with them? I would be.

Iskra

Established Member
Real coal crushed up is very good to use. You can cut the interior of the wagon shape out with polystyrene, paint the top black, PVA it and sprinkle the coal on. I’ve seen it done and it does look good because coal has a very specific texture.
Those grain wagons do look especially good. Are you pleased with them? I would be.
That sounds something I could do quite easily, I do have some real coal knocking around somewhere too, thanks for the tip :)

Yeah I’m really happy with those they look a lot more realistic now and the bright blue dulled down nicely in the end.

In a further layout development I have started working out a BR era timetable, which I’ve found interesting. I’m about half way through it, it’s quite time consuming to develop as I’m testing it as I go. Ensuring the moves work, balance and that there’s a spare loco to release another or a brakevan knocking around for freight can be a challenge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That sounds something I could do quite easily, I do have some real coal knocking around somewhere too, thanks for the tip :)
Of course you have, you live up north! :lol:

In a further layout development I have started working out a BR era timetable, which I’ve found interesting. I’m about half way through it, it’s quite time consuming to develop as I’m testing it as I go. Ensuring the moves work, balance and that there’s a spare loco to release another or a brakevan knocking around for freight can be a challenge.

I hadn’t really thought about doing something like this until recently but I’m now starting to get quite into the idea. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Peter C

Established Member
I've done a bit more weathering today. I've finished the dreaded bright blue whisky wagons, done a virgin 47 although I may need to de-weather it slightly, done a first attempt at lightly weathering BR Green on a Jubilee, done a random 03 shunter, done the Caledonian sleeper stock but that may need the weathering easing on the roofs and completed the main bits of straight track weathering too with just the shed area and points left to do now.

View attachment 94211View attachment 94212View attachment 94214View attachment 94213
Those all look brilliant @Iskra - I think I've mentioned before that there's a thin line between not enough and too much weathering, and you've done those engines to a very high quality finish.
I assume that's a Bachmann Jubilee? They're lovely models aren't they?

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Of course you have, you live up north! :lol:

I hadn’t really thought about doing something like this until recently but I’m now starting to get quite into the idea. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
:D

I’ll share it once I’ve completed it and made it presentable :)

Those all look brilliant @Iskra - I think I've mentioned before that there's a thin line between not enough and too much weathering, and you've done those engines to a very high quality finish.
I assume that's a Bachmann Jubilee? They're lovely models aren't they?

-Peter
Thanks Peter.

Yeah it’s a Bachmann one and they are very nice.

I do like the look of the new one that’s coming out the ‘Hood’ model, the detail on it looks amazing and it’s my era. However, it’s expensive so maybe for Christmas...

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter.

Yeah it’s a Bachmann one and they are very nice.

I do like the look of the new one that’s coming out the ‘Hood’ model, the detail on it looks amazing and it’s my era. However, it’s expensive so maybe for Christmas...
You're very welcome :)
That new model does look very nice. I've got a Jubilee from a few years ago but it's not running on the layout at the moment following some sort of issue with the coupling rods and my attempt to remove them!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Well, as predicted by @Cowley I encountered significant issues with the use of curved points to access my fiddle yard.

I've now redesigned it with the spare bits of track that I have lying around. It's an improvement on a number of levels; I can now comfortably accommodate trains of the desired length, trains can enter the fiddle yards at faster speeds which is more realistic for the rear of the train as it leaves the layout section, it's stopped all derailments and all my engines can now use every road. It's currently left me with 3 long fiddle yard roads although I'm hoping I can squeeze in a 4th. Operationally, it's so much better :) Curved points have been such a headache.FY.jpg

The next project is to sort the station platforms out. I've currently got some temporary platforms made from a Metcalfe Card kit, but I don't trust them to support the weight of my resin station building in the long term, so I'm looking for something wood-based and I think I've found something so hopefully I can show you that soon.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Well, as predicted by @Cowley I encountered significant issues with the use of curved points to access my fiddle yard.

I've now redesigned it with the spare bits of track that I have lying around. It's an improvement on a number of levels; I can now comfortably accommodate trains of the desired length, trains can enter the fiddle yards at faster speeds which is more realistic for the rear of the train as it leaves the layout section, it's stopped all derailments and all my engines can now use every road. It's currently left me with 3 long fiddle yard roads although I'm hoping I can squeeze in a 4th. Operationally, it's so much better :) Curved points have been such a headache.View attachment 94855

The next project is to sort the station platforms out. I've currently got some temporary platforms made from a Metcalfe Card kit, but I don't trust them to support the weight of my resin station building in the long term, so I'm looking for something wood-based and I think I've found something so hopefully I can show you that soon.
It's a shame you had issues regarding points - I've got a set of curved points on my layout and now I'm hoping they work! Really nice that you got something good out of it though; having a fourth road would be even better. Those sidings look to be of a good length too.
The Metcalfe platform kit should support a resin building - what sort of building is it? I've got a resin building sat on one of my platforms and a footbridge on another, and they seem alright.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I've now redesigned it with the spare bits of track that I have lying around. It's an improvement on a number of levels; I can now comfortably accommodate trains of the desired length, trains can enter the fiddle yards at faster speeds which is more realistic for the rear of the train as it leaves the layout section, it's stopped all derailments and all my engines can now use every road. It's currently left me with 3 long fiddle yard roads although I'm hoping I can squeeze in a 4th. Operationally, it's so much better :) Curved points have been such a headache.View attachment 94855

That definitely looks good now. Very useable and lots of storage too, which is good because you’re building quite a fleet up!

Iskra

Established Member
It's a shame you had issues regarding points - I've got a set of curved points on my layout and now I'm hoping they work! Really nice that you got something good out of it though; having a fourth road would be even better. Those sidings look to be of a good length too.
The Metcalfe platform kit should support a resin building - what sort of building is it? I've got a resin building sat on one of my platforms and a footbridge on another, and they seem alright.

-Peter
Definitely worth giving them a test with a few different trains.
It’s these two buildings:

19098208-71FD-46D6-8F94-6A69F023581C.jpeg

That definitely looks good now. Very useable and lots of storage too, which is good because you’re building quite a fleet up!
Yeah I am :D I’ve got just about everything I could need now, or got it on order in terms of rolling stock so I will be chilling out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.