• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort George OO Gauge Scottish Terminus/Junction Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Well, unfortunately I was struck down with the plague on the 23rd so I'm isolating through christmas. This is sub-optimal, but gives me chance to belatedly complete my locomotive advent calendar and could be a great opportunity to make progress on the layout too. Merry christmas everyone!

Day WD 2-8-0

A heavy freight locomotive that has seen better days, this locomotive can usually be seen on mineral, grain or van traffic. Occasionally, on a summer Saturday it can be seen on relief passenger services with any available spare rolling stock as unsuitable as it may be. This train is based on a historical service that ran on a summer Saturday on the Little North Western Line towards Morecambe, which was so crowded that at Keighley it stopped to pick up a suburban MK1 from the Oxenhope Branch before continuing to provide extra capacity. This loco is not prototypical in Scotland to my knowledge, but I've always liked them as austere work horses and it's one of my favourite locomotives that I've travelled behind at the KWVR. It was bought second hand, DCC Fitted and weathered.

thumbnail_IMG_6737.jpg

Day 9

A heljan class 26 takes on fuel at the shed. This is an all-rounder locomotive that can be seen on pretty much all traffic in the area.

thumbnail_IMG_6738.jpg

Day 10

DRS DCC Fitted Class 37. I did the weathering on this one and it looks okay I think. This loco is often seen running light or paired with the DRS class 20. It can run short engineers trains, nuclear flask trains, railtours and log trains. It's also a pretty handy substiute for anything that 'fails'. This loco features because I've travelled behind a number of DRS 37's on the mainline and it was available DCC fitted at a decent price.

thumbnail_IMG_6739.jpg

Day 101

DMU's are very useful on a smaller, end-to-end layout, which is why this one features more than what they would have done so prototypically. This is not the original one on the layout, as that was just a DC version- I upgraded to a DCC sound version when one became available at a good price. This DMU can run on the mainline, the branchline or can run through services from the Central Belt all the way to the port at the end of the branchline, with the minimum of operational fuss required compared to doing the same service involving a loco. It's pictured here having shunted on to a fish van that needs returning to the port.

thumbnail_IMG_6741.jpg

Day 122

While we're on the subject of DMU's... This is my first Dapol model on the railway. It came DCC fitted at a good price. Similar DMU's were used in Scotland. It's very useful on the branchline and works well in preserved mode too. It's a nice model and runs well.

thumbnail_IMG_6742.jpg

Day 13

EWS Class 37 seen here arriving on the sleeper. It's a DCC sound loco and it's an excellent model. At some point I will hopefully do a decent light weathering job on it once I've sussed the airbrush. It works on the sleeper, lumber and engineering services in the area mainly.

thumbnail_IMG_6743.jpg

Day 14

The jinty. Another Bachmann DCC sound locomotive. It's an excellent runner. It came factory weathered, but then I did additional weathering to it. It's mainly used as station pilot or the odd trip working down the branch, sometimes it can be a not very suitable stand-in for a failed locomotive.

thumbnail_IMG_6744.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, unfortunately I was struck down with the plague on the 23rd so I'm isolating through christmas. This is sub-optimal, but gives me chance to belatedly complete my locomotive advent calendar and could be a great opportunity to make progress on the layout too. Merry christmas everyone!

Day WD 2-8-0

A heavy freight locomotive that has seen better days, this locomotive can usually be seen on mineral, grain or van traffic. Occasionally, on a summer Saturday it can be seen on relief passenger services with any available spare rolling stock as unsuitable as it may be. This train is based on a historical service that ran on a summer Saturday on the Little North Western Line towards Morecambe, which was so crowded that at Keighley it stopped to pick up a suburban MK1 from the Oxenhope Branch before continuing to provide extra capacity. This loco is not prototypical in Scotland to my knowledge, but I've always liked them as austere work horses and it's one of my favourite locomotives that I've travelled behind at the KWVR. It was bought second hand, DCC Fitted and weathered.

View attachment 107583

Day 9

A heljan class 26 takes on fuel at the shed. This is an all-rounder locomotive that can be seen on pretty much all traffic in the area.

View attachment 107584

Day 10

DRS DCC Fitted Class 37. I did the weathering on this one and it looks okay I think. This loco is often seen running light or paired with the DRS class 20. It can run short engineers trains, nuclear flask trains, railtours and log trains. It's also a pretty handy substiute for anything that 'fails'. This loco features because I've travelled behind a number of DRS 37's on the mainline and it was available DCC fitted at a decent price.

View attachment 107585

Day 101

DMU's are very useful on a smaller, end-to-end layout, which is why this one features more than what they would have done so prototypically. This is not the original one on the layout, as that was just a DC version- I upgraded to a DCC sound version when one became available at a good price. This DMU can run on the mainline, the branchline or can run through services from the Central Belt all the way to the port at the end of the branchline, with the minimum of operational fuss required compared to doing the same service involving a loco. It's pictured here having shunted on to a fish van that needs returning to the port.

View attachment 107589

Day 122

While we're on the subject of DMU's... This is my first Dapol model on the railway. It came DCC fitted at a good price. Similar DMU's were used in Scotland. It's very useful on the branchline and works well in preserved mode too. It's a nice model and runs well.

View attachment 107588

Day 13

EWS Class 37 seen here arriving on the sleeper. It's a DCC sound loco and it's an excellent model. At some point I will hopefully do a decent light weathering job on it once I've sussed the airbrush. It works on the sleeper, lumber and engineering services in the area mainly.

View attachment 107590

Day 14

The jinty. Another Bachmann DCC sound locomotive. It's an excellent runner. It came factory weathered, but then I did additional weathering to it. It's mainly used as station pilot or the odd trip working down the branch, sometimes it can be a not very suitable stand-in for a failed locomotive.

View attachment 107591

Sorry to hear that you caught The Thing. Most unfortunate timing.
That’s a great selection you’ve posted there though I must say.

Iskra

Established Member
6909D3E3-B420-4F28-93BB-6DAA7F601149.jpeg
Today, there has been progress at Fort George. A sunny, still day occurred so I was able to take the platform sections outside to spray paint them with some ‘Slate Grey Real Feel Textured Quick Drying Paint.’ While doing it I decided an uneven coating might look more realistic and less pristine. What do you think? I have enough paint to go over it again liberally if required.

I now need to hand paint the benches/information signs.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I definitely think that texture looks right. It’s nice and matt too which helps with the look of them.

Peter C

Established Member
That does look very nice @Iskra - I don't quite know what it is - it might be the rolling stock and the buildings - but there's definitely a feel of "British Railways green" (try using that at B&Q) to it. Looks super!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Something happened at Fort George, I added additional weathering to my factory weathered Bachmann 47 and I'm pleased with the results- I managed not to get carried away. I did the roof, the buffers, cab surround and doors and a bit of the lower body. I should probably fit nameplates now, but it's not something I've ever done before and with the amount of models for sale on ebay with glue marks, it's obviously not as easy as it looks...

thumbnail_IMG_7113.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7112.jpg

In terms of the layout itself. I'm hoping to get ballasting started soon and the backscene boards into place this year sometime. The next project to be completed however will likely be a simple station canopy and adding some benches.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Something happened at Fort George, I added additional weathering to my factory weathered Bachmann 47 and I'm pleased with the results- I managed not to get carried away. I did the roof, the buffers, cab surround and doors and a bit of the lower body. I should probably fit nameplates now, but it's not something I've ever done before and with the amount of models for sale on ebay with glue marks, it's obviously not as easy as it looks...

View attachment 111962View attachment 111963

In terms of the layout itself. I'm hoping to get ballasting started soon and the backscene boards into place this year sometime. The next project to be completed however will likely be a simple station canopy and adding some benches.

That’s a great looking train @Iskra. They that same set of test train coaches in N gauge and I’ve bought two sets now as it’s a cheap way of building up a rake of coaches.

All I did with mine was mask the roofs up and tone them down a bit (yours look better than the N gauge ones anyway) and I got a fibreglass pencil and rubbed off the first few digits of the ADB number so that they were left with just the last four numbers.
You can’t really see that they’re wrong in that scale anyway.

That 47 looks really good with what you’ve done to it.

Iskra

Established Member
That’s a great looking train @Iskra. They that same set of test train coaches in N gauge and I’ve bought two sets now as it’s a cheap way of building up a rake of coaches.

All I did with mine was mask the roofs up and tone them down a bit (yours look better than the N gauge ones anyway) and I got a fibreglass pencil and rubbed off the first few digits of the ADB number so that they were left with just the last four numbers.
You can’t really see that they’re wrong in that scale anyway.

That 47 looks really good with what you’ve done to it.
Yeah, I had the same idea :)

Have you got a pic of your finished versions please?

Thanks! I am really pleased with it and glad I didn't get too carried away with it and got it just right I think.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah, I had the same idea :)

Have you got a pic of your finished versions please?

Yes here you go (I included the 50 for you ;)).

1390A33D-B826-49AB-9FBA-573B907489C6.jpeg

That’s all four of them and this is a view from above with the resprayed roofs:
60BFFF80-5F0F-4EC2-931A-15E64E4CF813.jpeg

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 111962View attachment 111963

That is a very nice model, isn't it? Liking the extra weathering you've added - it really makes it look well-used!
I wonder if, for the nameplate, you could apply the glue using a cocktail stick? Perhaps even masking tape around where the nameplate goes to stop the glue going everywhere - though actually I've only done it the once and even then it was a bit more straightforward than your example, needing to get it over the right place :lol:

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Yes here you go (I included the 50 for you ;)).

View attachment 112014

That’s all four of them and this is a view from above with the resprayed roofs:
View attachment 112015
That’s a very nice looking rake and the roofs do look much improved! Haha thanks for the 50 :D

That is a very nice model, isn't it? Liking the extra weathering you've added - it really makes it look well-used!
I wonder if, for the nameplate, you could apply the glue using a cocktail stick? Perhaps even masking tape around where the nameplate goes to stop the glue going everywhere - though actually I've only done it the once and even then it was a bit more straightforward than your example, needing to get it over the right place :lol:

-Peter
Thank you!

So I actually did it last night and I will show the results when I get chance. I put the loco on its side on a foam surface, I applied poly cement and then quickly wiped the majority off to just leave a small amount of residue and it worked well enough for a first attempt. I just did one side of the loco in case it went wrong.

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you!

So I actually did it last night and I will show the results when I get chance. I put the loco on its side on a foam surface, I applied poly cement and then quickly wiped the majority off to just leave a small amount of residue and it worked well enough for a first attempt. I just did one side of the loco in case it went wrong.
Now that's a clever idea - I'll have to remember that one. It's good to hear it worked well! :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I did my own DCC fitting for the first time this morning on Ethel and everything now works as required! Next she's going away to be weathered by a local person I found who is cheaper than TMC or others. It sounds silly, but good quality precision screwdrivers make the process of dismantling locomotives so much easier. I was previously using some cheap ones, but paying a little bit more for some decent ones has been well worth it.

thumbnail_IMG_7344.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I did my own DCC fitting for the first time this morning on Ethel and everything now works as required! Next she's going away to be weathered by a local person I found who is cheaper than TMC or others. It sounds silly, but good quality precision screwdrivers make the process of dismantling locomotives so much easier. I was previously using some cheap ones, but paying a little bit more for some decent ones has been well worth it.

View attachment 113820

I’m in love with it. :lol:
The scourge of all main line steam bashers back in the day!

Iskra

Established Member
That’s a top job.
Will the pipes get in the way of the couplings or are they higher than they look?
I’ll let you know when I install them, but that’s fairly standard with Heljan loco’s for some reason. I’m not sure whether to just install one coupling or both. Two are required for having the ETHEL at the head of the train with a 37 or 20 leading, but only one is adequate if the ETHEL is trailing on the rear of the formation and it looks so good without the coupling, plus ETHEL’s did spend a lot of time sat around Fort William where a NEM coupling would be an eyesore.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ll let you know when I install them, but that’s fairly standard with Heljan loco’s for some reason. I’m not sure whether to just install one coupling or both. Two are required for having the ETHEL at the head of the train with a 37 or 20 leading, but only one is adequate if the ETHEL is trailing on the rear of the formation and it looks so good without the coupling, plus ETHEL’s did spend a lot of time sat around Fort William where a NEM coupling would be an eyesore.

That’s a tricky one. I don’t recall ever seeing one on the rear of train but it could have happened.

Iskra

Established Member
That’s a tricky one. I don’t recall ever seeing one on the rear of train but it could have happened.
That’s a fair point, I’m struggling to find a photo of one on the rear now, but to the modern mind at least, a double run-around at each terminus seems a tad excessive?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a fair point, I’m struggling to find a photo of one on the rear now, but to the modern mind at least, a double run-around at each terminus seems a tad excessive?

I thought we had a thread on this. There’s some useful detail in here:

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Never to my (then) local knowledge, with the reason given on the 'What happened to ETHEL' thread saying the fire alarm system on ETHEL had to be connected to the loco or words to that effect.

It wasn't a double run round as such, just an extra shunt as the ETHEL detached at Fort William with the sleepers, and an extra shunt was required to get it onto the other end of the sleepers.
The Glasgow to Mallaig portion was dual heat stock and worked forward by boiler fitted cl37, and traction between Mossend and Queen St would I am fairly sure have been an ETH 47 (unless ETHEL also worked from/to Mossend and to from Motherwell TMD with the loco (if it did I don't recall but others may know)) and the Glasgow elements are irrelevant to Fort George anyway.

Iskra

Established Member
I thought we had a thread on this. There’s some useful detail in here:

Never to my (then) local knowledge, with the reason given on the 'What happened to ETHEL' thread saying the fire alarm system on ETHEL had to be connected to the loco or words to that effect.

It wasn't a double run round as such, just an extra shunt as the ETHEL detached at Fort William with the sleepers, and an extra shunt was required to get it onto the other end of the sleepers.
The Glasgow to Mallaig portion was dual heat stock and worked forward by boiler fitted cl37, and traction between Mossend and Queen St would I am fairly sure have been an ETH 47 (unless ETHEL also worked from/to Mossend and to from Motherwell TMD with the loco (if it did I don't recall but others may know)) and the Glasgow elements are irrelevant to Fort George anyway.
Thank you both for the additional information :)

Iskra

Established Member
I've gone a bit agricultural this week, with a crofters cottage and plenty of dry-stone walling appearing courtesy of Javis scenics. The dry stone walling at the rear will eventually help mask the backscene join. It's all a bit too uniform currently, but I'm going to add some gates and more damaged sections to break it up a bit visually in the future.

thumbnail_IMG_7368.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7369.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7370.jpg

*Work in progress- things not in their final positions

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've gone a bit agricultural this week, with a crofters cottage and plenty of dry-stone walling appearing courtesy of Javis scenics. The dry stone walling at the rear will eventually help mask the backscene join. It's all a bit too uniform currently, but I'm going to add some gates and more damaged sections to break it up a bit visually in the future.

View attachment 114373

View attachment 114374

View attachment 114375

*Work in progress- things not in their final positions

That’s got a nice Scottish look about it actually.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
That’s got a nice Scottish look about it actually.
Very much. I also like the grounded coach body next to the good shed, a nice touch.

I note the Loading Gauge on the left hand siding, any scope for a loading bank alongside part of that siding which would be typical of the stations at Mallaig and Kyle, and many of the intermediate stations too, also at the freight yard/depot in Fort William - I don't recall a loading bank at Oban station but suspect that would have been in the nearby freight yard/depot.

Iskra

Established Member
Very much. I also like the grounded coach body next to the good shed, a nice touch.

I note the Loading Gauge on the left hand siding, any scope for a loading bank alongside part of that siding which would be typical of the stations at Mallaig and Kyle, and many of the intermediate stations too, also at the freight yard/depot in Fort William - I don't recall a loading bank at Oban station but suspect that would have been in the nearby freight yard/depot.
The signal box at Fort William used to have a grounded coach body next to it, so it may end up relocating to be slightly more authentic. But, the current signal box is going to be upgraded to one that saves a bit more space on the layout in the near future.

Yes a loading bank does seem something of an omission, so I will try incorporate one :)

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
The signal box at Fort William used to have a grounded coach body next to it, so it may end up relocating to be slightly more authentic. But, the current signal box is going to be upgraded to one that saves a bit more space on the layout in the near future.
A smaller signal box, even with an adjacent coach body, might be placed opposite the goods shed/coach body enabling the platform lines to be joined further out from the buffers which would allow longer platforms - they are rather short, apologies an observation rather than a criticism. Even with say another coach length added to the platform length in a hypothetically prototypical situation an occasional over length arrival could add interest for the operator in how to handle said overlength train.

Iskra

Established Member
A smaller signal box, even with an adjacent coach body, might be placed opposite the goods shed/coach body enabling the platform lines to be joined further out from the buffers which would allow longer platforms - they are rather short, apologies an observation rather than a criticism. Even with say another coach length added to the platform length in a hypothetically prototypical situation an occasional over length arrival could add interest for the operator in how to handle said overlength train.
Don't worry I'm not offended by the short platforms point- it is a valid one- but they can take 4 carriages and a loco so are just about passable I think. The issue with lengthening the platforms is that to gain any benefit, you would also have to lengthen the fiddle yard sidings to be able to accommodate and run the longer trains, which sadly isn't possible due to space constraints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.