• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort George OO Gauge Scottish Terminus/Junction Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
I've gone a bit agricultural this week, with a crofters cottage and plenty of dry-stone walling appearing courtesy of Javis scenics. The dry stone walling at the rear will eventually help mask the backscene join. It's all a bit too uniform currently, but I'm going to add some gates and more damaged sections to break it up a bit visually in the future.

View attachment 114373

View attachment 114374

View attachment 114375

*Work in progress- things not in their final positions
It's always exciting when you can get some scenic bits down, isn't it? That last photo is particularly nice. Liking the "trains nearby but just a short walk away" like you might get when approaching a real station. ;)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
4B6D50CB-A568-48EB-9975-275BB879FB33.jpeg
Well, I've had a reshuffle of the points at the station throat, track and platforms. This has resulted in 3 longer passenger platforms, but will require some reorganisation of the station buildings at some point. I sent the bodysnatcher down to test all the track and pointwork was properly attached and everything works as intended. There could be more minor tinkering around the edges but it actually reminds me of @43055 's terminus now, although with the added junction element. Excuse the random stock selection, I can run specific era's now, but currently it's just a very random collection.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Looks very good.
The right hand platform looks to be currently inaccessible on foot from the station entrance/buildings - any plans?

I like the siding running under the signal box, good use of space.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks very good.
The right hand platform looks to be currently inaccessible on foot from the station entrance/buildings - and plans?
I suppose you could build a wall between the platforms behind the buffers and then have an entrance from that onto the far platform?

Iskra

Established Member
Looks very good.
The right hand platform looks to be currently inaccessible on foot from the station entrance/buildings - and plans?

I like the siding running under the signal box, good use of space.

Thanks, that's a pertinent point :)

I suppose you could build a wall between the platforms behind the buffers and then have an entrance from that onto the far platform?

The plan is to have something like this (eventually):

thumbnail_IMG_8006.jpg

I like the idea that the railway used to carry on somewhere beyond Fort George in the past. It also solves the access issues as I can lay a footpath through the two smaller arches, where passengers can loop round to access the other platform. I do also have a couple of barrow crossing inserts that go on the track, so I could possibly deploy them here too.

I like this idea as, as well as the impression of a truncated line it gives a bit of an area where you might find the odd shady character that the authorities might like to keep an eye on, like Doni B here- Fort George FC's most hardcore fan enjoying a tinny and a smoke... "...what you looking at?!"

thumbnail_IMG_8007.jpg

A lot of this end will take more final fruition once the backscene is attached, which should be sometime next month all being well.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks, that's a pertinent point :)

The plan is to have something like this (eventually):

View attachment 117758

I like the idea that the railway used to carry on somewhere beyond Fort George in the past. It also solves the access issues as I can lay a footpath through the two smaller arches, where passengers can loop round to access the other platform. I do also have a couple of barrow crossing inserts that go on the track, so I could possibly deploy them here too.

I like this idea as, as well as the impression of a truncated line it gives a bit of an area where you might find the odd shady character that the authorities might like to keep an eye on, like Doni B here- Fort George FC's most hardcore fan enjoying a tinny and a smoke... "...what you looking at?!"

View attachment 117759

A lot of this end will take more final fruition once the backscene is attached, which should be sometime next month all being well.

I love that idea. Doni B looks like he’s had a bit of a life. You’ll need to keep an eye on him I reckon. :lol:

Iskra

Established Member
Well, there has been major disruption to all services at Fort George over the weekend, while engineers installed some sky and hills in the Fort George area. While passengers were a bit miffed at first, they are now said to be very much enjoying the improved views from the station.

During the works some track was altered and the fiddleyard improved, so a Class 20 locomotive tested the new formation with a Brake Van provided for some distinguished guests, with only one imperfection in the trackwork being detected.

E131FF58-7D19-483E-A558-48F84CAD64D7.jpeg

1B6D2CCC-A8C5-438B-9AAE-5E185262C0B5.jpeg

The join of the two boards is a little obvious at the moment but I’m hoping to brace the two backboards together at the rear in the future to smooth that a little. I used an adhesive spray to attach the Gaugemaster backscene to the the backboard and it looked to work okay, but looking at it now there are some crumples, but luckily these are in the clouds so actually add a bit of useful definition there, it looks a bit like rain squalls approaching in my opinion. Although far from perfect, I think it certainly looks a lot better and a more complete scene.

The next big project will be doing the ballasting. I was hoping to upgrade the track throughout the layout first, but Peco track is still in short supply so this isn’t possible right now. So I’m unsure whether to ballast what I have, or wait for something that will end up looking better in the long run. Thoughts?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a remarkably good colour match with the existing grass

Well, there has been major disruption to all services at Fort George over the weekend, while engineers installed some sky and hills in the Fort George area. While passengers were a bit miffed at first, they are now said to be very much enjoying the improved views from the station.

During the works some track was altered and the fiddleyard improved, so a Class 20 locomotive tested the new formation with a Brake Van provided for some distinguished guests, with only one imperfection in the trackwork being detected.

View attachment 118598

View attachment 118599

The join of the two boards is a little obvious at the moment but I’m hoping to brace the two backboards together at the rear in the future to smooth that a little. I used an adhesive spray to attach the Gaugemaster backscene to the the backboard and it looked to work okay, but looking at it now there are some crumples, but luckily these are in the clouds so actually add a bit of useful definition there, it looks a bit like rain squalls approaching in my opinion. Although far from perfect, I think it certainly looks a lot better and a more complete scene.
It is quite hard to do a backscene without it crumpling actually. I also used spray adhesive (because it’s reasonably dry) and got it flat in the middle and then brushed it out. However I do quite a bit wallpapering with my job so I’m not too bad at stuff like that.
The next big project will be doing the ballasting. I was hoping to upgrade the track throughout the layout first, but Peco track is still in short supply so this isn’t possible right now. So I’m unsure whether to ballast what I have, or wait for something that will end up looking better in the long run. Thoughts?

How much of the track were you going to upgrade @Iskra? Could you do the bits that you’ll be keeping to get your eye in maybe?

Iskra

Established Member
Super backdrop and the way the colour in the 'fields' behind the class 20 blends in with the area in front of it is so realistic.
Thank you!

That’s a remarkably good colour match with the existing grass

It is quite hard to do a backscene without it crumpling actually. I also used spray adhesive (because it’s reasonably dry) and got it flat in the middle and then brushed it out. However I do quite a bit wallpapering with my job so I’m not too bad at stuff like that.

How much of the track were you going to upgrade @Iskra? Could you do the bits that you’ll be keeping to get your eye in maybe?
Yeah, the backscene was harder than I expected.

All of the track on the scenic area really so doing bits wouldn't work, I'd just leave the existing track on the off-scene sections.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What did you want to change about it @Iskra?
One thought I had about ballasting was if you could find a version of the slightly pink stuff you get up there?

Iskra

Established Member
What did you want to change about it @Iskra?
One thought I had about ballasting was if you could find a version of the slightly pink stuff you get up there?
I’d just like it to look a bit more realistic, as I’m using set track and the sleepers aren’t spaced right and the rails aren’t fine enough. It functions perfectly, but it just doesn’t look right really.

I’ve actually got some granite ballast, which is more suited to the East of Scotland, this was before I settled on a West Highland style layout. I’m not a massive fan of that orange-colour but I will see if I can find some.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’d just like it to look a bit more realistic, as I’m using set track and the sleepers aren’t spaced right and the rails aren’t fine enough. It functions perfectly, but it just doesn’t look right really.

I’ve actually got some granite ballast, which is more suited to the East of Scotland, this was before I settled on a West Highland style layout. I’m not a massive fan of that orange-colour but I will see if I can find some.

Ah ok. Are you thinking of going for Peco finescale track then? I must admit that although it’s extra work now, being that it’s one of the most important things on a layout it is worth getting it right so that you’re always happy with it.

Iskra

Established Member
Ah ok. Are you thinking of going for Peco finescale track then? I must admit that although it’s extra work now, being that it’s one of the most important things on a layout it is worth getting it right so that you’re always happy with it.
Yeah, but it’s been difficult to get hold of for ages now. I recently managed to order some but they ended up only being able to supply 1/3 of what I needed so I cancelled it.

Yeah I agree, I have a ‘research trip’ to Fort William at the end of the month (strikes dependent) so I will try get some photos of the ballast while I’m up there before buying anything.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 118598

View attachment 118599

Now that looks very nice indeed - the way the 'real' scenery merges into the backscene is superb! I don't know if it's just me being picky, but I find the best backscenes are those where you find yourself having to do a double-take to try and work out where the board ends and the backscene begins. I think with the colours of grass you've got going on in the foreground, and then the matching fields in the backscene, they come together to make one really convincing scene.
Also loving the Class 20 track inspection - imagine the acceleration on that... :lol:
Interesting to hear Peco track is still in short supply - I know they had issues during the pandemic, but I assumed things would've got almost back up to speed by now?

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Now that looks very nice indeed - the way the 'real' scenery merges into the backscene is superb! I don't know if it's just me being picky, but I find the best backscenes are those where you find yourself having to do a double-take to try and work out where the board ends and the backscene begins. I think with the colours of grass you've got going on in the foreground, and then the matching fields in the backscene, they come together to make one really convincing scene.
Also loving the Class 20 track inspection - imagine the acceleration on that... :lol:
Interesting to hear Peco track is still in short supply - I know they had issues during the pandemic, but I assumed things would've got almost back up to speed by now?

-Peter
Thank you, yes I agree about the colour match, I saw that one and knew it was the right one straight away!

Yeah, I’m guessing there was a pandemic boom in modelling and that are still playing catch up, plus a possible raw materials shortage.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Just a couple of small updates to keep the thread alive:

Firstly, I've given the platforms a second coat of the stone-effect paint and they are looking better for it I think.

thumbnail_IMG_8649.jpg
Secondly, I have rationalised the fiddle yard, which has created some extra tracks which are always useful, but also has some nice gaps in between for storing spare loco's. There's just a couple of silly sidings towards the left we're I'm missing the exact bit of track that I need for them to be as desired, but I'll solve that in time and there's no rush.

thumbnail_IMG_8648.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a couple of small updates to keep the thread alive:

Firstly, I've given the platforms a second coat of the stone-effect paint and they are looking better for it I think.

View attachment 120406
Secondly, I have rationalised the fiddle yard, which has created some extra tracks which are always useful, but also has some nice gaps in between for storing spare loco's. There's just a couple of silly sidings towards the left we're I'm missing the exact bit of track that I need for them to be as desired, but I'll solve that in time and there's no rush.

View attachment 120407

I think you’re going to need a bigger house soon. :lol:

Iskra

Established Member
I've got a couple of small projects on the go currently, but just to keep things ticking over in the meantime before their completion; I stumbled across this short video earlier, which is very 'Fort George,' so I thought I would share it here.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've got a couple of small projects on the go currently, but just to keep things ticking over in the meantime before their completion; I stumbled across this short video earlier, which is very 'Fort George,' so I thought I would share it here.

I’ve seen that before but it’s always worth watching again. That’s just such a lovely era and area to model isn’t it?

Peter C

Established Member

That's lovely - with the remote stations and amazing landscapes, it gives a 'local railway for local people' sort of vibe: though how many 'local people' there are for each station is up for debate based on how remote they look from those clips! Brilliant to see the stock, in colour, too.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Yes, I think it’s easy to forget how much more remote and underpopulated that area must have been back then @Peter C :)

Plenty of interesting rolling stock combinations in there too.

Thought I’d have a stab at recreating the London Kings Cross sleeper from the video (shrunk however due to space constraints).

6B335B7F-01BD-4736-85B6-4CDD13C66360.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Even when smaller than the real thing would have been, that's still a very nice train, isn't it? The box van just behind the Class 20 is cool.

-Peter :)

Iskra

Established Member
I've done a few little bits around the layout recently:

Firstly, as Fort George is probably near an expanse of water, but I don't have the space to model any beyond what is in the water tower; I've opted to install a little clue that some water may be nearby instead. So, I ordered some rowing boat hulls and I painted this one that now lives dumped by the farmers cottage to give a bit more of a coastal feel to the place.

thumbnail_IMG_9904.jpg

Additionally, below I added additional weathering to the Caley 812 class. I've dusted the coal load with coal dust to make it less shiny, and dulled down the BR emblem and running number as these were too clean. I've also added Cab crew, including one with his jacket on still which you don't see too much for variation and also as the small cab may not offer complete protection from the Scottish weather. Also in this scene, I hand painted the buffers but tried to do it in a way where it looks like they've not received much attention for a good while. I also did the weathering affects on the grey metal bridge at the back of the scene as this was far too clean.

thumbnail_IMG_9903.jpg

Finally, I've added a picnic bench outside the Mason's arms and I've temporarily put a crew member on it as they come in the perfect position for drinking a beer after their work is done...

thumbnail_IMG_9902.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've done a few little bits around the layout recently:

Firstly, as Fort George is probably near an expanse of water, but I don't have the space to model any beyond what is in the water tower; I've opted to install a little clue that some water may be nearby instead. So, I ordered some rowing boat hulls and I painted this one that now lives dumped by the farmers cottage to give a bit more of a coastal feel to the place.

View attachment 122973

Additionally, below I added additional weathering to the Caley 812 class. I've dusted the coal load with coal dust to make it less shiny, and dulled down the BR emblem and running number as these were too clean. I've also added Cab crew, including one with his jacket on still which you don't see too much for variation and also as the small cab may not offer complete protection from the Scottish weather. Also in this scene, I hand painted the buffers but tried to do it in a way where it looks like they've not received much attention for a good while. I also did the weathering affects on the grey metal bridge at the back of the scene as this was far too clean.

View attachment 122974

Finally, I've added a picnic bench outside the Mason's arms and I've temporarily put a crew member on it as they come in the perfect position for drinking a beer after their work is done...

View attachment 122975

I must say that that’s all looking very good. I really like the rowing boat idea as well and that’s filed away in my mind as a good little sleight of hand for a future layout. ;)

The little scene outside the station works very well by the way, although I’m wondering if the member of footplate crew might need weathering a little.

Maybe not as bad as Clarkson after his trip on Tornado though… :lol:

395EDA11-70EB-49F4-9AD2-B405C1643BBE.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
I must say that that’s all looking very good. I really like the rowing boat idea as well and that’s filed away in my mind as a good little sleight of hand for a future layout. ;)

The little scene outside the station works very well by the way, although I’m wondering if the member of footplate crew might need weathering a little.

Maybe not as bad as Clarkson after his trip on Tornado though… :lol:

View attachment 122977
Thank you! Yes, that's a good point, I will give them a quick brush at some point.

Ah, he looks like me after a shift down t'pit ;) ...I must watch the two railway episodes they did again :)

The BR Blue Class 20 became Scottish today. My first time doing transfers and it was actually okay to be fair. I recently saw a DRS Class 20 on a railtour with a Wessie on too, so I’m contemplating doing that loco as well on one side at least.

D07EA9BA-01CB-44E2-B121-09CB1FA16734.jpeg

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you! Yes, that's a good point, I will give them a quick brush at some point.

Ah, he looks like me after a shift down t'pit ;) ...I must watch the two railway episodes they did again :)

The BR Blue Class 20 became Scottish today. My first time doing transfers and it was actually okay to be fair. I recently saw a DRS Class 20 on a railtour with a Wessie on too, so I’m contemplating doing that loco as well on one side at least.

View attachment 123497

That 20 looks absolutely spot on with its little Westie!

Status
Not open for further replies.