• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum restructure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Apologies if this has been brought up already, but I note that there is no longer an option to search for new posts from any one specific section. Is there any particular reason for this, and assuming this wasn't financially motivated, is there any possibility of it being brought back please? It did make searching certain areas, especially the Other Forums area, far easier to read through as the "risk" of missing very recent posts in busy threads was reduced...

wintonian

Established Member
Apologies if this has been brought up already, but I note that there is no longer an option to search for new posts from any one specific section. Is there any particular reason for this, and assuming this wasn't financially motivated, is there any possibility of it being brought back please? It did make searching certain areas, especially the Other Forums area, far easier to read through as the "risk" of missing very recent posts in busy threads was reduced...

Try here or as in the picture in each sub forum.

search.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member
In recent months the General discussion forum has been become more and more a home for topics regarding current operating conditions on the network and I wonder if there is scope for a new forum to deal with current delays etc much like the 'Breaking news' section on WNXX. Personally I'm not sure that every 'person hit by train' incident needs a new thread (it is a regular event after all), similarly the rain or snow (or whatever) disruption could also go there perhaps.

Crossover

Established Member
In recent months the General discussion forum has been become more and more a home for topics regarding current operating conditions on the network and I wonder if there is scope for a new forum to deal with current delays etc much like the 'Breaking news' section on WNXX. Personally I'm not sure that every 'person hit by train' incident needs a new thread (it is a regular event after all), similarly the rain or snow (or whatever) disruption could also go there perhaps.

I know what you mean. That said, I am aware of the wish not for the forum to become a place for postings of "Disruption in Birmingham New Street area", as that is what NRES is for, and maybe such an area would end up becoming that.

I agree though that recently every little thing has been getting reported that are pretty regular occurrences

gnolife

Established Member
I think that its good that unusual things, like that derailment in Manchester this week, have threads made for them for discussion, but I'd also agree that we don't particularly need a post about every person hit by train incident, unless there's something particularly significant about that specific incident, like the James Street case.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I feel there should be a disruption thread, for posting general bits and pieces of day to day disruption.

PR1Berske

Established Member
That could work very well, just as fares/ticketing has been divided into two forums (fora?)

"General Discussion" and "Rerouting and Disruption", anyone?

snail

Established Member
I agree with Trainfan344, it doesn't need separate sections, just a sticky thread like the ticket offers thread where snippets of news can be posted.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That could work very well, just as fares/ticketing has been divided into two forums (fora?)

"General Discussion" and "Rerouting and Disruption", anyone?
Possibly, but you may recall there were some concerns that the forum has too many forums already ;)

It looks like a sticky thread may be the best way forward.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How about a subforum in the UK discussion forum?

What would be the point of a forum containing threads that effectively replicate the information on NRE? A sticky thread is far more logical with major disruption events continuing to be discussed in their own threads.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think that its good that unusual things, like that derailment in Manchester this week, have threads made for them for discussion.

If you see the large number of postings that were made on that very specific matter, covering different aspects of this matter, this indeed was a most valid reason for that particular incident as a major link in cross-Manchester rail travel was disrupted for some days.

Skimble19

Established Member
Problem with a Sticky thread is if you leave it for a few days you'll have to trawl through who knows how much stuff about unrelated incidents before getting to what you actually want to read.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Problem with a Sticky thread is if you leave it for a few days you'll have to trawl through who knows how much stuff about unrelated incidents before getting to what you actually want to read.
You don't have to. From the forum index, you can click the
firstnew.gif
"First new post" icon (to the left of the thread title), or the
lastpost.gif
"Go to last post" icon, or alternatively click "Last Page".

ATW Alex 101

Established Member

That's actually one of the reasons why I suggested a sub-forum. By one point a single sticky thread will have hundreds of pages with each post potentially could be a separate incident. At least with a forum, each incident or disruption has it's own thread where discussion about it can be placed into. Things would also contradict in a sticky, for example, somebody post Incident A then a few comments about it will be posted then somebody else will post Incident B, then the discussion about both would be mixed up so stuff about Incident A would be posted then another then something about Incident B then more about A then B then it would all just be one big mess.

So if you needed info about a particular incident, it can be found at ease with the relevant discussion in its own thread rather than every incident in one thread

Harbon 1

I agree, and if there are a few derailments (or other disruption, like the recent weather threads) in the same week, it'll get very confusing, very quickly. I think a sub forum of something (not general UK discussion, that needs to be a stand alone forum IMO) like the diagram forum is what's needed. But not a sticky. Definitely not one of them, it would soon fall into mass chaos and confusion! <(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree, and if there are a few derailments (or other disruption, like the recent weather threads) ...
As proposed by other members above, a major incident or an event such as severe weather would always warrant its own thread.

Crossover

Established Member
Here is the thread for general disruptions...and it requires no (or little) trawling ;)

I have always found this one useful as a quick reference when out and about too

D365

Veteran Member
Threads on disruption and incidents do pile up in General Discussions; a separate forum here would be useful for discussing personal matters and similar, even if information can be found direct from the horse's mouth. A sticky would be difficult to use, although useful links as below and advice might be useful stuck on a new forum.

Here is the thread for general disruptions...and it requires no (or little) trawling ;)

I have always found this one useful as a quick reference when out and about too

carlejo

I've an idea for a change, not sure if it's valid or not ?

Would it be a good idea to have a section, maybe in "careers" to split the section via different TOC's. That way, people would know ehere to directly look for recruitment advice, specific to the TOC they've just aplpied for
cheers
Carlejo

Bevan Price

Established Member
Is there any way to block, or override the "double post prevention system" ? When I try to make comments on different posts within a single thread, the "system" insists on combining my separate posts, even when the result potentially looks confusing to other readers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is there any way to block, or override the "double post prevention system" ? When I try to make comments on different posts within a single thread, the "system" insists on combining my separate posts, even when the result potentially looks confusing to other readers.

Just edit the post afterwards to tidy it up?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just edit the post afterwards to tidy it up?
Yes, or edit them as you go.

Or use multiquote (
multiquote_off.gif
)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've an idea for a change, not sure if it's valid or not ?

Would it be a good idea to have a section, maybe in "careers" to split the section via different TOC's. That way, people would know ehere to directly look for recruitment advice, specific to the TOC they've just aplpied for
cheers
Carlejo
If the forum grows big enough to require that, it could be considered.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Neither ;)

Another rules consultation could take place but there are no immediate plans for one so soon after the last.

Suggestions are best made in the Contact Us link or submitted as a response to the surveys we carry out from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.