Forum Update

Discussion in 'Forum Information & Announcements' started by Mojo, 4 Oct 2017.

1. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm pleased to announce the launch of our new forum software. We have moved away from vBulletin 3.8 onto a more advanced piece of technology.

I know it's always hard to deal with change, so we have designed the new forum to look as similar to the old forum layout as we can. For an interim measure, some of the old styles and features you were used to may not be available, but we want to get the forum up and running as it is to avoid any more prolonged downtime and also to continue our testing in a 'real life' environment.

Some things might not be working initially, or might not behave as expected. For example some people might see a 'Like' button - this will be removed. Other issues like incorrect search or 'recent content' results should clear up as the site is reindexed. Some of you might also be missing an Avatar, if you had one from the default gallery these don't come across, if you had a custom one, it may have been uploaded incorrectly, in which case it would need to be reuploaded. Some of the data from the old forum we still hold, so please get in touch if you have any queries.

However if you think anything is missing, or wrong, please post it in this thread here. This will then be uploaded for someone to have a look at.

2. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

Very much liking the upgrade so far!

3. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Oh, working now. Ignore my conversation Mojo.

4. ooo

ooo Member

The forum doesn't seem to be working in Tapatalk for me now. Is this a known issue with the new software or are other people still able to access it on the app.

5. Skimble19

Skimble19 Established Member

Main annoyance so far is that when in a Forum or Sub Forum the Thread titles and the names of the thread creators seem to be showing in a font size that is far too large and takes up a lot more space than needed - is this likely to be changed? Makes it very annoying to browse at present.

Otherwise the forum is definitely an improvement and does seem quicker which is always good.

6. Mojo

We will not be providing 'Tap To Talk' assistance at the moment as there are more pressing things to be getting on with, but it is on my list :)
    Do you have an example/screenshot of this please?

7. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Previously you could hide other people'a avatars. Can you do that now?

I can only see a "go to 1st unread post" option once in a thread, not at the list of threads. Will that return?

8. Mojo

There is a black circle next to the title name that takes you to first unread post. At the moment it may not be accurate depending how data was carried across, however as time progresses it will become accurate.

9. F Great Eastern

F Great Eastern Established Member

Vastly better on mobile!!

10. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

What has happened to userCP? I don't seem to have that now.

11. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There's lots of things that I like but this is certainly one of the major ones!!

12. ainsworth74

If you click on your name at top right you should find links to the relevant options there.

13. 313103

313103 Established Member

Well done Guys and Girls. Do like the new layout, the previous was looking a bit tired. Thanks for the hard work in doing this.

14. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

When going to your account page at http://www.railforums.co.uk/account/ it won't allow any changes to be saved, stating 'Please enter a value for all required fields.' even though there are no specifically required fields.

I'd intended to change my Occupation as it hadn't been done for years but it won't let me. Not sure if it applies to other fields.

15. Tw99

Tw99 Member

Generally seems good but where are the Semaphores :) I'd also prefer if the front page layout of the site gave more horizontal space to the forum details. This new layout means you have to scroll around a lot more to find the forum you want. Is the list of online users really so interesting that it needs to be up at the top there?

16. AntoniC

AntoniC Member

I like the changes !.
    Congrats to all those who have implemented it!

17. backontrack

backontrack Established Member

18. louis97

louis97 Established Member

Really like the update! However I no longer seem to have access to the Auto Announcements Private Forum, presume I just need adding again?

19. ainsworth74

We're still working on permissions and similar for things like that. Right now not even all the staff have access to all the sub-forums so we'll get there eventually!

20. Lrd

Lrd Established Member Jobs & Careers Assistant

It's looking good, well done to all involved.

Any chance of getting full emoji support? The unicode ones...